ADVERTISEMENT

I think 5 or 6 is likely. The reason? Because we know we can play even if a chunk of the team is "unavailable". We will only cancel if we can't field a team. That could happen under the right exposure conditions, but today the groups are kept more separated and good behavior is more closely adhered to than even 2 weeks ago.

What makes me frustrated is that Pac-12 teams are not allowing fans at games. They should show a little creativity for a change, and figure out how to do this with proper physical distancing, entry and exit rules, masking, etc. They could open the seats up for public bidding and make some revenue.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I think 5 or 6 is likely. The reason? Because we know we can play even if a chunk of the team is "unavailable". We will only cancel if we can't field a team. That could happen under the right exposure conditions, but today the groups are kept more separated and good behavior is more closely adhered to than even 2 weeks ago.
Two teams have to make it to the field though. Considering 4 games have been canceled from the SEC slate this weekend already in “Its just the flu” country, doesn’t bode well for schedules of teams out west. I’m surprised we made it this far I figured we’d never see a PAC-12 game so I’ve been wrong before.

What makes me frustrated is that Pac-12 teams are not allowing fans at games. They should show a little creativity for a change, and figure out how to do this with proper physical distancing, entry and exit rules, masking, etc. They could open the seats up for public bidding and make some revenue.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Unfortunayely, the leadership of cali, oregon and wa has no will...plain to see with their online school garbage.

Reactions: acgcoug and 79COUG
Two teams have to make it to the field though. Considering 4 games have been canceled from the SEC slate this weekend already in “Its just the flu” country, doesn’t bode well for schedules of teams out west. I’m surprised we made it this far I figured we’d never see a PAC-12 game so I’ve been wrong before.

'90, I can't say you are wrong, but I will point out why I think our odds are better going forward than the SEC's to avoid cancellations. As you note, the SEC country as a whole has a lot more folks who choose to remain ignorant regarding masks, etc. (it is not JUST masks, but that is the poster child). The prevailing attitude is much less stringent regarding covid precautions there. I have a friend (who I am trying to hire) who lives in southern Ohio, but travels throughout the state. We spoke earlier this week and he noted that southern Ohio is essentially the south, whereas central and northern Ohio are not. And he specifically commented on the difference in mask usage (since that is so visible and easy to see) between the southern/southeastern part of the state and the rest. The SEC schools have to try to avoid covid in an environment that is much more difficult than the PAC. Sure, you guys comment on E WA being a hotbed of mask avoidance, and my own brother's family in Pullman/Moscow is a prime "megachurch, expose everybody, this is no worse than the flu" example. But even with that, there are a lot of people who have chosen not to remain ignorant and at least to avoid negative social exposure pretty much follow responsible covid behavior in public, whether they choose to believe that it helps or not. That is simply not as prevalent in the area of most of the SEC schools. And kids will be kids. The prevailing attitudes around them carry weight. Throw in a coaching staff who preaches to "do this" but they themselves instead "do that", not practicing what they preach, and the results are predictable. There have been a few stories over the past month floating around about exactly that sort of thing in SEC country. I hope...and to some extent believe...that most of the PAC staffs have absorbed the lessons a little better.

Long story short, nothing is guaranteed. But Rolo did all he could in disciplining kids for going off the reservation, even if they were not in quarantine. The idea of 32 guys "unavailable" makes the point about as clearly as it can be made. And yes, we also have to hope that other teams are just as serious. But the culture in the PAC states help us in that regard. I expect that we will have to cancel at most 2 games, and my O/U is actually 1 game.

They (P12) could allow fans all day long, the communist triumvirate will not allow it. Comrade Brown just further locked down public establishments today.

Last edited:
'90, I can't say you are wrong, but I will point out why I think our odds are better going forward than the SEC's to avoid cancellations. As you note, the SEC country as a whole has a lot more folks who choose to remain ignorant regarding masks, etc. (it is not JUST masks, but that is the poster child). The prevailing attitude is much less stringent regarding covid precautions there. I have a friend (who I am trying to hire) who lives in southern Ohio, but travels throughout the state. We spoke earlier this week and he noted that southern Ohio is essentially the south, whereas central and northern Ohio are not. And he specifically commented on the difference in mask usage (since that is so visible and easy to see) between the southern/southeastern part of the state and the rest. The SEC schools have to try to avoid covid in an environment that is much more difficult than the PAC. Sure, you guys comment on E WA being a hotbed of mask avoidance, and my own brother's family in Pullman/Moscow is a prime "megachurch, expose everybody, this is no worse than the flu" example. But even with that, there are a lot of people who have chosen not to remain ignorant and at least to avoid negative social exposure pretty much follow responsible covid behavior in public, whether they choose to believe that it helps or not. That is simply not as prevalent in the area of most of the SEC schools. And kids will be kids. The prevailing attitudes around them carry weight. Throw in a coaching staff who preaches to "do this" but they themselves instead "do that", not practicing what they preach, and the results are predictable. There have been a few stories over the past month floating around about exactly that sort of thing in SEC country. I hope...and to some extent believe...that most of the PAC staffs have absorbed the lessons a little better.

Long story short, nothing is guaranteed. But Rolo did all he could in disciplining kids for going off the reservation, even if they were not in quarantine. The idea of 32 guys "unavailable" makes the point about as clearly as it can be made. And yes, we also have to hope that other teams are just as serious. But the culture in the PAC states help us in that regard. I expect that we will have to cancel at most 2 games, and my O/U is actually 1 game.
I hope you are right I sure enjoy having something to look forward to on Saturday other than home improvement projects

• Haha
Reactions: cr8zyncalif
;)

Kurt, you appear to be right. I have to admit that I underestimated both BYU's and the SEC's willingness to non-report covid positives, and follow exposure protocol. I should have simply assumed that they would cheat. Leopards, after all, don't change their spots. But I guess my thought at the time was that they would honor the health situation. I can admit that I am wrong. And I was wrong.

Reactions: kougkurt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT