ADVERTISEMENT

7:30 kickoff vs. Arizona

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
I know the night games aren’t popular with everyone, but the good news is that it’ll be a cold kickoff for Arizona.

Reactions: earldacoug
I know the night games aren’t popular with everyone, but the good news is that it’ll be a cold kickoff for Arizona.
Yes, very cold. I hope we do not see any complaining. It is what it is. I know uw fans and coach like to complain about start times. But, just yesterday Notre Dame kicked off at 7:30 pm and Clemson kicked off at 8:00 pm. It happens in other conferences, not just the P12 despite what Coach Petersen over at the uw wants everyone to believe.

Temps won’t be brutal, around 34, but it’ll be a lot colder than what they’re used to.

Yes, very cold. I hope we do not see any complaining. It is what it is. I know uw fans and coach like to complain about start times. But, just yesterday Notre Dame kicked off at 7:30 pm and Clemson kicked off at 8:00 pm. It happens in other conferences, not just the P12 despite what Coach Petersen over at the uw wants everyone to believe.

I was about to start grousing until I saw that ESPN picked up this game. Probably their only window for the day. So I will take the (late but) national exposure. 3 games in a row on ESPN. As I keep saying, ESPN loves us.

I was about to start grousing until I saw that ESPN picked up this game. Probably their only window for the day. So I will take the (late but) national exposure. 3 games in a row on ESPN. As I keep saying, ESPN loves us.

Gardner needs the exposure as well. With the Tua injury, Will Grier’s eventual loss to Oklahoma and potentially OSU, Gardner is primed to continue asscending. There is no argument that Minshew means more to his team than any other player in College Football.

Gardner needs the exposure as well. With the Tua injury, Will Grier’s eventual loss to Oklahoma and potentially OSU, Gardner is primed to continue asscending. There is no argument that Minshew means more to his team than any other player in College Football.
No one is watching at 10:30 eastern, so the national exposure is nil.

Only the P12 would set themselves up with a ridiculous TV schedule that exists inly to benefit the networks.

So WSU and the P12s best Heisman candidate, best team, best story will not be seen by what... 97% of the viewing audience? Can't imagine this shit time slot pulls any more than a 3 share, regardless the network.

This is a slap in the face, plain and simple. Not to mention you've all but guaranteed the stands will be empty.

I'm fcking pissed.

**I was way off. The Kal game pulled a 0.9 share. That is by FAR the best ratings a 10:30 time slot has pulled, btw

Last edited:
Not an ideal time re eastern viewers but not completely. Do the East Coast sports bars close at sundown? Our eastern football fans can, and I believe will, present a respectable viewing rating in the bars and their homes. They can at least watch the first half and still make it into bed at their usual Saturday night bed time. Certainly not a best possible timing but not a catastrophe. This game on ESPN will also have a nice viewership in the Central and Mountain West time zones. Let's not look this gift horse in the mouth too intensely.

As far as those attending the game, the time, yes, sucks. Roads are a jammed mess. I am surprised that with all the traffic, the darkness and drivers with bellies full of adult beverages that we do not experience more accidents.

Only the P12 would set themselves up with a ridiculous TV schedule that exists inly to benefit the networks.

So WSU and the P12s best Heisman candidate, best team, best story will not be seen by what... 97% of the viewing audience? Can't imagine this shit time slot oulls any more than a 3 share, regardless the network.

This is a slap in the face, plain and simple. Not to mention you've all but guaranteed the stands will be empty.

I'm fcking pissed.

**I was way off. The Kal game pulled a 0.9 share.

Well I am comparing it to a Pac-12 Network 7:00-ish kickoff. Does any cable, etc network outside the West carry the P-12 network? Of course we know Directv doesn't.

I have Comcast, and they don't carry the Big-10 or SEC network in the regular package.

For the students, if they stay for the game they aren't going home after it anyway, so that shouldn't make a big difference there. Spokaneites can deal with it. Wetsiders who are crazy enough to do the over and back will be affected or excluded.

I would prefer to have seen it as an early game, but late on ESPN is better than late on Pac-12. And not everyone in the country is on Eastern time.

So WSU and the P12s best Heisman candidate, best team, best story will not be seen by what... 97% of the viewing audience? Can't imagine this shit time slot pulls any more than a 3 share, regardless the network.

I'm fcking pissed.

**I was way off. The Kal game pulled a 0.9 share. That is by FAR the best ratings a 10:30 time slot has pulled, btw

Where do you find the ratings? Is .9 good or bad for that time slot? Would be interesting to how it compared to Cal vs USC last night.

If the current weather forecast holds, it will be 6 to 7 degrees below freezing F at kickoff.

And USC-UCLA gets the 12:30 slot with two sub-standard teams. CAL-Stanford should be a very interesting game and it, with two other games, is relegated to the low-rent P12 Net. The Cougs kick after 10:30 PM East Coast time and nobody will care. Larry Scott leave now.

And USC-UCLA gets the 12:30 slot with two sub-standard teams. CAL-Stanford should be a very interesting game and it, with two other games, is relegated to the low-rent P12 Net. The Cougs kick after 10:30 PM East Coast time and nobody will care. Larry Scott leave now.
Not sure this is a Larry Scott problem, as much as I want that guy to go away and take his band of misfits with him. ESPN probably wants this game in that slot and they are paying the bills right? Am I missing something?

Regardless it is what it is. Arizona going to be very uncomfortable. This us advantage WSU. Now someone roadblock the highway out of Pullman this week and keep the students in town!

If the current weather forecast holds, it will be 6 to 7 degrees below freezing F at kickoff.

The weather is in our favor. The Arizona team has been in Tempe since October 27th and actually before that they were in LA on the 20th that was a 90 degree day.

So for almost an entire month they haven’t seen anything below 60-70 degrees in terms of playing.

When your body is acclimated to 70 degree playing temperature for an extended amount of time and all of a sudden you are thrown into sub 40 degrees it is a different world.

They won’t get to Pullman until what Friday? That is not a lot of time to adjust.

Zona players will be frozen by half time. I am not joking they are going to be shocked at the cold.

They played at Autzen in Eugene about this time last year and were whipped 48-28.

There is no way they can prepare properly unless sumlin has them practice in a meat locker.

How do we start a campaign to have the students stay in Pullman, and return home for Thanksgiving on Sunday?

Mom and Dad would understand.

Heck, went out in public this morning wearing COUG gear, and EVERYONE said "Go COUGS".

Yes, your immediate family and relatives will understand. Have your Thanksgiving on Sunday.

Hopefully there will be a lot to be thankful for. ;)

Last edited:
The weather is in our favor. The Arizona team has been in Tempe since October 27th and actually before that they were in LA on the 20th that was a 90 degree day.

So for almost an entire month they haven’t seen anything below 60-70 degrees in terms of playing.

When your body is acclimated to 70 degree playing temperature for an extended amount of time and all of a sudden you are thrown into sub 40 degrees it is a different world.

They won’t get to Pullman until what Friday? That is not a lot of time to adjust.

Zona players will be frozen by half time. I am not joking they are going to be shocked at the cold.

They played at Autzen in Eugene about this time last year and were whipped 48-28.

There is no way they can prepare properly unless sumlin has them practice in a meat locker.
Actually, if I was Kevin Sumlin, (he came from Texas A&M, another hot climate), I would take the team up to Flagstaff for the week to practice in shorts and shirts. Otherwise, you're right, they're in for a real shocker.

Some of our guys will be playing in short sleeve jerseys.

Last edited:
How do we start a campaign to have the students stay in Pullman, and return home for Thanksgiving on Sunday?

Mom and Dad would understand.

Heck, went out in public this morning wearing COUG gear, and EVERYONE said "Go COUGS".

Yes, your immediate family and relatives will understand. Thanksgiving on Sunday.

Have a Coug thanksgiving feast at Martin Stadium promotion.

Concessions include Turkey Legs
Hot Apple Cider / Hot Chocolate
Mac and Cougar Gold Cheese
Pumpkin Spice Lattes
Cranberry Cream cupcakes

Students eat free with ID and all Cougs are welcome to the biggest Saturday family feast.

Make it an event. A special thing that happens once a year and people will stay / come for it.

Don’t just make it “another game” make it a “special event” that only happens at Martin stadium once a year.

Have a Coug thanksgiving feast at Martin Stadium promotion.

Concessions include Turkey Legs
Hot Apple Cider / Hot Chocolate
Mac and Cougar Gold Cheese
Pumpkin Spice Lattes
Cranberry Cream cupcakes

Students eat free with ID and all Cougs are welcome to the biggest Saturday family feast.

Make it an event. A special thing that happens once a year and people will stay / come for it.

Don’t just make it “another game” make it a “special event” that only happens at Martin stadium once a year.
Good idea, actually. Not sure about the Creamery giving away cheese, (highly doubt that would happen unless a donor forks out).

Who's going to send your idea to Mr. Patrick Chun?

I'm fcking pissed.

What is the alternative? PAC 12 net early game? FS-1 5:00pm? We got picked up for ESPN national broadcast, the added coverage and morning ESPN coverage will be helpful. Much better than a 7pm PAC-12 net game.

Good idea, actually. Not sure about the Creamery giving away cheese, (highly doubt that would happen unless a donor forks out).

Who's going to send your idea to Mr. Patrick Chun?

I’ll send it over. Yeah the cost of the cheese may be a lot but it’s one day and something I think fans would always circle on their calendar as something they want to do every year.

I mean how often do you get to hang out with 40k of people eating turkey legs and drinking hot apple cider. That’s an event. That’s fun, and that’s what the games should be about.

There are only a few home games and if we are competing with a national holiday then we should bring the holiday to the stadium and make it fun so people really want to stay for it.

Sounds like fireball weather!

This post is useless without a link to the Coug fan chugging Fireball a few years back.

Really? Did the UA and ASU teams switch campuses or what? Are the Sun Devils hanging out in Tucson?

How do we start a campaign to have the students stay in Pullman, and return home for Thanksgiving on Sunday? Mom and Dad would understand.

Not sure the professors would understand on Monday when the kids weren't back yet.

And while on this topic, when is WSU going to call BS on this Friday Apple Cup crap anyway? We are hurt worse by that than ANYONE in the Pac-12.

What is the alternative? PAC 12 net early game? FS-1 5:00pm? We got picked up for ESPN national broadcast, the added coverage and morning ESPN coverage will be helpful. Much better than a 7pm PAC-12 net game.
It's a money grab for ESPN, there is not extra coverage.

On my ESPN app I had to scroll down to the bottom of the page to find our score. Which segment we're we on sportscenter? 4th? 5th?

What's that alternative? Get the P12 dtv deal done and then we control our money and media exposure.

This post is useless without a link to the Coug fan chugging Fireball a few years back.

Really? Did the UA and ASU teams switch campuses or what? Are the Sun Devils hanging out in Tucson?

Not sure the professors would understand on Monday when the kids weren't back yet.

And while on this topic, when is WSU going to call BS on this Friday Apple Cup crap anyway? We are hurt worse by that than ANYONE in the Pac-12.
Yes, this is adding to my frustrations about next week's kickoff

It's an easy fix, too. If the game is in Seattle, the networks can have their Friday game. If it's in Pullman, it should be Saturday. And if it rotated like that for the rest of time, I could deal.

I totally forgot about Monday's classes. Well forget that idea. Looks like the students (who are interested in the game) won't be coming home for Thanksgiving, (unless you live on the Eastside).

It's an easy fix, too. If the game is in Seattle, the networks can have their Friday game. If it's in Pullman, it should be Saturday. And if it rotated like that for the rest of time, I could deal.

Totally agree. And hell, let's move it back a week to boot, and play in Arizona or SoCal in our last game. Look at Oklahoma - their two rival games, Texas and OSU - neither are the last game of the year.

I totally forgot about Monday's classes. Well forget that idea. Looks like the students (who are interested in the game) won't be coming home for Thanksgiving, (unless you live on the Eastside).

Ehh - they'll make it the 8PM game, the kids will have all day Friday to drive over.

They don’t get the whole week off anymore? Is it just Monday they have class?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT