ADVERTISEMENT

Abraham Lucas

CougInSpain

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2009
Don't know if its been mentioned anywhere but dude put up a solid 40 time at the combine. 4.93 sec 40 with a 1.77 sec at the 10yd split. Just a handful that were able to have a sub 5 sec 40 this year.

Don't know if its been mentioned anywhere but dude put up a solid 40 time at the combine. 4.93 sec 40 with a 1.77 sec at the 10yd split. Just a handful that were able to have a sub 5 sec 40 this year.
Pre-combine, I saw projections that put him in the 4th-5th round. He did well enough to up his stock, I've seen more recent projections that put him as early as the late 2nd.

If you can find them, check out the video clips of him doing drills at the combine. He has great athleticism for his size, as we all know, but it's pretty remarkable to see

I read an article in the Seattle Times that said the Seahawks were interested in taking him with their 3rd round pick if he was still there. That was before the Wilson trade so I don't know how that might have scrambled their draft plans.

I read an article in the Seattle Times that said the Seahawks were interested in taking him with their 3rd round pick if he was still there. That was before the Wilson trade so I don't know how that might have scrambled their draft plans.
Seattle needs a way better OL, but they'll never invest with the PC/JS regime.

Seattle needs a way better OL, but they'll never invest with the PC/JS regime.
Agreed. They could make improvements on both sides of the ball with the haul they got in exchange for Wilson, but they’re probably going to waste #9 on a QB that they’re setting up to fail.

Agreed. They could make improvements on both sides of the ball with the haul they got in exchange for Wilson, but they’re probably going to waste #9 on a QB that they’re setting up to fail.
Nope.

PC believes his scheme doesn't require a qb, just a warm body to hand it off to the premier running back that they don't have, behind the premier OL they don't have, bolstered by the premier D they don't have.

Nope.

PC believes his scheme doesn't require a qb, just a warm body to hand it off to the premier running back that they don't have, behind the premier OL they don't have, bolstered by the premier D they don't have.
What do you think they’ll waste #9 on?

What do you think they’ll waste #9 on?
Who knows.

Going through their draft history is like a "who's that" of NFL "talent". That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they took Willis in what could only be described as a Sisyphean effort to draft the next Pat Mahomes.

I’m really hoping the latest rumors are wrong, and they’re not really looking at Matt Ryan. He’s 37 and his best years are behind him. He’s not a player that creates under pressure - he struggles behind a bad OL, so he would be no better in Seattle than he was in Atlanta last year.
If I’m Seattle, he’s only an option if he’s cheap. I mean maybe a 4th round pick cheap. He won’t be that (although Atlanta should really want to unload his salary.

If I’m Indianapolis, and I’ve got a pretty decent team outside of a few positions (notably QB), I’m interested in Ryan. Maybe enough to give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

I don’t think anyone should be parting with a 1st round pick for a guy who’s probably out of the league in 2-3 years.

I’m really hoping the latest rumors are wrong, and they’re not really looking at Matt Ryan. He’s 37 and his best years are behind him. He’s not a player that creates under pressure - he struggles behind a bad OL, so he would be no better in Seattle than he was in Atlanta last year.
If I’m Seattle, he’s only an option if he’s cheap. I mean maybe a 4th round pick cheap. He won’t be that (although Atlanta should really want to unload his salary.

If I’m Indianapolis, and I’ve got a pretty decent team outside of a few positions (notably QB), I’m interested in Ryan. Maybe enough to give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

I don’t think anyone should be parting with a 1st round pick for a guy who’s probably out of the league in 2-3 years.
Actually, on further reflection, if I’m Seattle I don’t even want Ryan for a 4th round pick. He’s too expensive, with no upside in his remaining years. Better to use that 4th rounder on a younger, cheaper player with a potential upside and impact. The ‘22 Seahawks don’t get much better with Matt Ryan or Malik Willis. Might as well throw Drew Lock to the dogs and fix the other issues.

I'd be fine with Matt Ryan for a 4th rounder. That way that can use some of their draft picks on talent to help them win now. They also can look at a mid-round overlooked QB. I personally think they know this years QB class is light on talent and want a proven vet as a starter to bridge the gap.

Roll with Lock in a tanked season for a high draft pick. Them take Cameron Ward when he leaves early next year.

I'd be fine with Matt Ryan for a 4th rounder. That way that can use some of their draft picks on talent to help them win now. They also can look at a mid-round overlooked QB. I personally think they know this years QB class is light on talent and want a proven vet as a starter to bridge the gap.
A mid round overlooked QB in a year light on QB talent?

Matt Ryan to the Colts was a good move for the Colts. Assuming he still has a year left in him, he’s got good enough a cast there to make them a good team and a legitimate part of the conversation for the playoffs at least.

doesn’t seem like the Seahawks put a lot of effort into landing a veteran. Baker Mayfield and Jimmy Garoppolo are probably the two remaining most likely to move. Both are too expensive.

There’s also rumor now of dealing DK Metcalf too, which would eliminate the best weapon for whatever QB comes aboard, and would confirm that Seattle is burning the team to the ground and committing to 100% rebuild.

Nothing has changed to impact my previous opinion - Seahawks should not draft a QB. They should sign or trade for a young, cheap veteran to fill in for a year or two. Collect picks, shore up the OL & DL, beef up the run game (signing Penny wasn’t their best move, in my mind). And yes, I still think a trade with the eagles to acquire Minshew fits the bill. I think Philly would be more than happy to come up from 15/16 to 9, that’ll improve their options whether they want DB, WR, or edge. Trade 9 for 15, Minshew, and a 4th round pick, then take the best available DL/OL at 15.

Matt Ryan to the Colts was a good move for the Colts. Assuming he still has a year left in him, he’s got good enough a cast there to make them a good team and a legitimate part of the conversation for the playoffs at least.

doesn’t seem like the Seahawks put a lot of effort into landing a veteran. Baker Mayfield and Jimmy Garoppolo are probably the two remaining most likely to move. Both are too expensive.

There’s also rumor now of dealing DK Metcalf too, which would eliminate the best weapon for whatever QB comes aboard, and would confirm that Seattle is burning the team to the ground and committing to 100% rebuild.

Nothing has changed to impact my previous opinion - Seahawks should not draft a QB. They should sign or trade for a young, cheap veteran to fill in for a year or two. Collect picks, shore up the OL & DL, beef up the run game (signing Penny wasn’t their best move, in my mind). And yes, I still think a trade with the eagles to acquire Minshew fits the bill. I think Philly would be more than happy to come up from 15/16 to 9, that’ll improve their options whether they want DB, WR, or edge. Trade 9 for 15, Minshew, and a 4th round pick, then take the best available DL/OL at 15.
DK is DK and a lot of teams will pass on him because of his poor route running and him being temperamental.

Pete Carroll talking about giving Geno Smith a shot to compete for QB1 and when I read that, I immediately thought to myself that he has checked out mentally.

Reactions: 79COUG
Pete Carroll talking about giving Geno Smith a shot to compete for QB1 and when I read that, I immediately thought to myself that he has checked out mentally.
Well, they have to have someone. They didn't show up to Malik's pro day, so apparently that's not happening.

Well, they have to have someone. They didn't show up to Malik's pro day, so apparently that's not happening.
He's definitely not a #9 1st round pick anyways. Great tangible upside obviously but I'd argue we still don't know the level of his intangibles. Playing at a place like Liberty will raise those concerns. I have a feeling we will see a move to get Minshew at some point. A guy with his numbers on one of the sh!ttiest teams in the NFL should have teams wanting a QB1 raising their eyebrows. He would be cheap allowing the team to solidify the O-Line by throwing cap space money at it. Not to mention other concerns on the defensive side.

He's definitely not a #9 1st round pick anyways. Great tangible upside obviously but I'd argue we still don't know the level of his intangibles. Playing at a place like Liberty will raise those concerns. I have a feeling we will see a move to get Minshew at some point. A guy with his numbers on one of the sh!ttiest teams in the NFL should have teams wanting a QB1 raising their eyebrows. He would be cheap allowing the team to solidify the O-Line by throwing cap space money at it. Not to mention other concerns on the defensive side.
My fear is that they go all in on the rebuild, get Minshew and trade away Metcalf & Lockett. Then GM spends 2022 behind a bad OL with no quality receivers and no reliable RB. Even in Jacksonville he had DJ Chark and Leonard Fournette.

They’ll tank the season, draft a rookie QB from a better class in 2023, make some free agent moves with their cap space and pull in some help with their stockpiled picks, and get back to .500. Then the “experts” will be vindicated, and say that they knew he wasn’t a starter.

Not sure the Hawks would see Minshrw as much of an upgrade to Lock and Geno if they resign him. I think they have two 1s and two 2s in next 2023, so far, so why not maximized thise picks by them up in 2022? Use this year's draft as a stepping stone for next year's, while loosen up the salary cap by getting rid of some weight. 2022 will suck, but Seattle's original picks will be high in 2023

Not sure the Hawks would see Minshrw as much of an upgrade to Lock and Geno if they resign him. I think they have two 1s and two 2s in next 2023, so far, so why not maximized thise picks by them up in 2022? Use this year's draft as a stepping stone for next year's, while loosen up the salary cap by getting rid of some weight. 2022 will suck, but Seattle's original picks will be high in 2023
Hopefully Denver will tank as well so that we will have two great #1's. I should rephrase my original statement to "I hope the Hawks acquire Minshew......" But I fear your analysis of how 2022 will play out is more likely to be true than the one I proposed.

Hopefully Denver will tank as well so that we will have two great #1's. I should rephrase my original statement to "I hope the Hawks acquire Minshew......" But I fear your analysis of how 2022 will play out is more likely to be true than the one I proposed.
I think there are two sensible approaches to the season, and neither of them includes drafting a QB this year.

1. Do as much as they can to win in 2022. Pass on Baker Mayfield. If you make a QB move, get a young QB who's good enough to start to act as a bridge. Maybe that's Drew Lock, but I think if Philly will take an R4 pick for Minshew, he's a better option. Pick up 1-2 veteran free agents for help at RB and in the defensive back 7 (I would not have signed Penny). Shore up the DL and OL with draft picks.

2. Give up on 2022. Pass on Baker Mayfield. Re-sign Geno if he's willing to be reasonable with salary, and let him and Lock fight for #1. Make everyone on the roster available for trade - although you have to make a decision with Metcalf. He's young enough to build around, but he's your best trade value and probably the only one on the roster you can get a 1st round pick for. Trades that bring picks in exchange for players preferred. If I get players back, I'll be extremely selective about taking any player over 26.

Those are what I think are most sensible. I don't think either will happen, seems like the Seahawks are quietly hoping to have Mayfield in Seattle, they just don't want to pay the full freight. I think it's a bad idea, his contract is too big and it's only for 1 year.

The sensible approaches are probably also not the way I'd go. I'd still approach it the way I've said before - trade back from #9 for extra picks or for a particular player (#9 for #15, an R4, and Minshew). Then draft the best OL, DL, or LB (in that order) available. If there's nobody I like, trade back to #20 and try again. Stockpile picks. If nobody wants to come up to #9 (somebody will), then fine...draft the best OL or DL at 9.

I'd trade the #9 pick, a 4th, or 5th rounder pick, minor player(Punt, Kick Returner, special teams, etc), some cash for the number 32 pick in 1st round,(high upside 1st round QB pick is EXPECTED to slide to 32 by almost all experts, draft projections, mocks, draft analyst, NFL insiders, etc), and for combination of 2nd rounder, And 3rd rounder, and 1 minor player, offense or defense with upside, and 1 med player offense or defense with upside.

With that kind of deal you unload Salary Cap, you build around both the 32nd pick in 1st round QB with upside pick, and QB lock, who battle it out for QB1.

That 32nd pick of 1st round, could develop into a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Wilson, and other good QB's that were drafted at bottom of 1st round, or top, mid 2nd round, 3rd round, mid rounds, and that took 2,3 years to develop.

And there a chance you would still do bad enough to get a semi high 1st round draft pick, that could be spent on a QB, if needed to, an or be used as trade bait, in case the year earlier 32nd pick of 1st round high upside QB, and Lock doesn't work out.

And if the move does work out awesome, you set up for possible future playoff, Superbowl runs, and would not have to worry about not having enough money to keep all your awesome players.

That's how Carrol, and the GM, and the Hawks had their Superbowl team before.

Since it worked before, it can work again.

But since that makes too much sense, it won't be done.

I'd trade the #9 pick, a 4th, or 5th rounder pick, minor player(Punt, Kick Returner, special teams, etc), some cash for the number 32 pick in 1st round,(high upside 1st round QB pick is EXPECTED to slide to 32 by almost all experts, draft projections, mocks, draft analyst, NFL insiders, etc), and for combination of 2nd rounder, And 3rd rounder, and 1 minor player, offense or defense with upside, and 1 med player offense or defense with upside.

With that kind of deal you unload Salary Cap, you build around both the 32nd pick in 1st round QB with upside pick, and QB lock, who battle it out for QB1.

That 32nd pick of 1st round, could develop into a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Wilson, and other good QB's that were drafted at bottom of 1st round, or top, mid 2nd round, 3rd round, mid rounds, and that took 2,3 years to develop.

And there a chance you would still do bad enough to get a semi high 1st round draft pick, that could be spent on a QB, if needed to, an or be used as trade bait, in case the year earlier 32nd pick of 1st round high upside QB, and Lock doesn't work out.

And if the move does work out awesome, you set up for possible future playoff, Superbowl runs, and would not have to worry about not having enough money to keep all your awesome players.

That's how Carrol, and the GM, and the Hawks had their Superbowl team before.

Since it worked before, it can work again.

But since that makes too much sense, it won't be done.
Detroit has #32, and they’d love that trade. It would give them 2 top 10 picks and allow them to not choose between drafting their future QB and a pass rusher. They suddenly get both, and they disrupt the draft projections and make it so your supposed #32 QB is off the board by #20…in a year that doesn’t have many quality QBs.
Even better, climbing 23 spots in the 1st round gives a much higher value than any package that could be built of #32 and R2 and R3 picks. Then you throw in an R4 and a player too? Every GM in The league would be calling you with trade offers if you made such a foolish one.

Worse for your team, now you’ve made a bad trade and drafted a QB who fell to the end of the round. Even if he’s good, which is a risk, you’ve done nothing to improve the team around him. The R2 and R3 players you got in the trade are more likely to be misfires, and your “minor player” is meaningless. By the time you build a team, his rookie deal is over, he’s gone, and now you’ve wasted #9, #32, an R4, and a couple of seasons.

The only way you move that far back is if you get a serious haul of picks/players in return. I mean multiple early R2s or better

Last edited:
Detroit has #32, and they’d love that trade. It would give them 2 top 10 picks and allow them to not choose between drafting their future QB and a pass rusher. They suddenly get both, and they disrupt the draft projections and make it so your supposed #32 QB is off the board by #20…in a year that doesn’t have many quality QBs.
Even better, climbing 23 spots in the 1st round gives a much higher value than any package that could be built of #32 and R2 and R3 picks. Then you throw in an R4 and a player too? Every GM in The league would be calling you with trade offers if you made such a foolish one.

Worse for your team, now you’ve made a bad trade and drafted a QB who fell to the end of the round. Even if he’s good, which is a risk, you’ve done nothing to improve the team around him. The R2 and R3 players you got in the trade are more likely to be misfires, and your “minor player” is meaningless. By the time you build a team, his rookie deal is over, he’s gone, and now you’ve wasted #9, #32, an R4, and a couple of seasons.

The only way you move that far back is if you get a serious haul of picks/players in return. I mean multiple early R2s or better

Ok so maybe not asking enough back in return and so ask for more. So you give a 1st #9 pick and 6th for 1,2 2nd rounders, 1,2 3rd rounders, 1 4th rounder, 1 minor to medium player in return. And if that's not enough, ask for more.

The point is that the CONCEPT is a GOOD concept. You get a 1st round QB with UPSIDE, for CHEAP, last pick of 1st round, that you BUILD around.

You already have 1,2 2nd rounders, the trade makes it so that you have 3,4 2nd rounders, and 3,4 3rd rounders, and 2,3 4th rounders, instead of 6,7,8,9 draft picks, you instead now have 10,11,12,13,14 picks, and with 1,2 each of 2nd round, 3rd, 4th round picks, to go with your 1st round 32 pick, with some good drafting, you can build around a drafted QB, or Lock.

And if the the QB that should be there at 32 isn't there, then take either another QB, or a 2nd, 3rd, 4th round QB.

Remember your building for the future, rebuilding, and if lucky reloading.

This is how Carrol, GM, Hawks built their Superbowl team.

Ok so maybe not asking enough back in return and so ask for more. So you give a 1st #9 pick and 6th for 1,2 2nd rounders, 1,2 3rd rounders, 1 4th rounder, 1 minor to medium player in return. And if that's not enough, ask for more.

The point is that the CONCEPT is a GOOD concept. You get a 1st round QB with UPSIDE, for CHEAP, last pick of 1st round, that you BUILD around.

You already have 1,2 2nd rounders, the trade makes it so that you have 3,4 2nd rounders, and 3,4 3rd rounders, and 2,3 4th rounders, instead of 6,7,8,9 draft picks, you instead now have 10,11,12,13,14 picks, and with 1,2 each of 2nd round, 3rd, 4th round picks, to go with your 1st round 32 pick, with some good drafting, you can build around a drafted QB, or Lock.

And if the the QB that should be there at 32 isn't there, then take either another QB, or a 2nd, 3rd, 4th round QB.

Remember your building for the future, rebuilding, and if lucky reloading.

This is how Carrol, GM, Hawks built their Superbowl team.
Your approach assumes that there’s always a capable QB available. Not just a QB, but one with upside. There isn’t.

You’re not likely to find an immediate starter at QB outside of about the top 10-15 picks, and the later you get, the less likely you are to find someone who will ever play, much less start. Anyone who thinks they’re going to find a starting QB in R4 shouldn’t be drafting anyone ever.

Trading back and getting more picks is a decent plan, but when you use the picks you have to pick well. You don’t draft a QB at 9, 32, or any other slot just to get a QB. That’s how you overreach, overspend, and end up committed to a bust. You take the player who beat meets your needs at that pick, and if there isn’t one you trade back again.

I also don’t think you build around a rookie QB in the current NFL, especially when you’re bad enough to earn a top 10 pick. That’s a clear sign that you have more problems than QB, and picking one isn’t going to help you. You improve the team first and set up the rookie for success. Improve your OL so he doesn’t get beat up, and give him an RB so he doesn’t have to beat teams with his arm. Those are positions that are a bit easier to fill with later picks too. Trying to build around the QB is going to put your team in a bad spot, because you’ve got 4 years max on a rookie deal. If you don’t have things pretty solid in that time, and he’s spent 3-4 years getting beat up, he’s not staying and you’re back to square 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT