ADVERTISEMENT

all anthracite?

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
Do not know if this has been mentioned previously in another thread but, if so I missed it. Mr. Chun's attempt at an all anthracite crowd was a major flop. Seemed to me that 75% of the attendees were wearing their normal crimson gear. Next time, Mr. Chun, I would suggest that an all-crimson crowd be attempted. That would be doable. We seem reluctant to abandon our school colors in favor of one that is not.

Reactions: walzuu
Do not know if this has been mentioned previously in another thread but, if so I missed it. Mr. Chun's attempt at an all anthracite crowd was a major flop. Seemed to me that 75% of the attendees were wearing their normal crimson gear. Next time, Mr. Chun, I would suggest that an all-crimson crowd be attempted. That would be doable. We seem reluctant to abandon our school colors in favor of one that is not.

They just need to market it correctly.

Anthracite is cool for a shade of gray, but it is still gray and that’s how you market it.

Gray Ghost mode for let’s say a game around Halloween would be the right way to do it.

So for example you show Martin stadium all Halloween out (fake spider webs jack-o-lanterns with strobe LEDs all around) as well as pumpkin patch etc. the whole works.
(including a rare black cat Butch costume)

So it’s grey ghost Martin stadium / Monsters of Martin (if people want to wear a costume)

And do it as an annual tradition last home game close to Halloween (this year it would be Colorado / Homecoming)

They just need to market it correctly.

Anthracite is cool for a shade of gray, but it is still gray and that’s how you market it.

Gray Ghost mode for let’s say a game around Halloween would be the right way to do it.

So for example you show Martin stadium all Halloween out (fake spider webs jack-o-lanterns with strobe LEDs all around) as well as pumpkin patch etc. the whole works.
(including a rare black cat Butch costume)

So it’s grey ghost Martin stadium / Monsters of Martin (if people want to wear a costume)

And do it as an annual tradition last home game close to Halloween (this year it would be Colorado / Homecoming)

No, Tron, just no. More marketing, fun costumes, a tweak here and there, etc. won't do. Did you see the crowd? At least 3/4ths were in colors other than anthracite. It was not close to successful. All the reengineering in the universe won't make that lead balloon soar. Sometimes one just has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation and the time is now. Gotta know when to fold 'em, know when to run. This idea is so far from success that we should acknowledge the failure- i.e. fold the hand and run away. The Athletic Department's time and money would be better spent on something that at least shows a glimmer of promise. The all-anthracite idea was tried and didn't.

Even giving out free t-shirts in the designated color didn't help much. (Were they all medium size? No larges? I haven't fit into a medium for the last 30 years. At least the others in my party got a good chuckle when I put it on- briefly.) Go all-crimson and hand out crimson shirts in large sizes.

Your Cougatron Coliseum in Ellensburg has a better chance to succeed. At least it has not been demonstrated to be a failure. In that sense it is ahead of Mr. Chun's attempt. I am convinced that Chun knows better than to flush future efforts down the throne.

Sorry to say, but it won't work if people are required to buy an extra shirt to comply. Especially if it's a color not everyone is totally on board with in the first place.

Agree with kayak, an all crimson out would have a far better chance at working.

Sorry to say, but it won't work if people are required to buy an extra shirt to comply. Especially if it's a color not everyone is totally on board with in the first place.

Agree with kayak, an all crimson out would have a far better chance at working.
No, Tron, just no. More marketing, fun costumes, a tweak here and there, etc. won't do. Did you see the crowd? At least 3/4ths were in colors other than anthracite. It was not close to successful. All the reengineering in the universe won't make that lead balloon soar. Sometimes one just has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation and the time is now. Gotta know when to fold 'em, know when to run. This idea is so far from success that we should acknowledge the failure- i.e. fold the hand and run away. The Athletic Department's time and money would be better spent on something that at least shows a glimmer of promise. The all-anthracite idea was tried and didn't.

Even giving out free t-shirts in the designated color didn't help much. (Were they all medium size? No larges? I haven't fit into a medium for the last 30 years. At least the others in my party got a good chuckle when I put it on- briefly.) Go all-crimson and hand out crimson shirts in large sizes.

Your Cougatron Coliseum in Ellensburg has a better chance to succeed. At least it has not been demonstrated to be a failure. In that sense it is ahead of Mr. Chun's attempt. I am convinced that Chun knows better than to flush future efforts down the throne.

This sort of highlights the problem with our fan base. We're cheap. Way cheap. Our annual giving is below everyone else and we can't be inconvenienced by "buying another shirt".

Which is the whole point in raising athletic revenue. Getting people to buy shirts and participate.

Other stadiums / fan bases can do this...

o0tcBuO.jpg

and this

h4QpImV.jpg

Even boise can do it.

loeTEkK.jpg

Yet somehow we at WSU can't be bothered with owning another shirt....

This sort of highlights the problem with our fan base. We're cheap. Way cheap. Our annual giving is below everyone else and we can't be inconvenienced by "buying another shirt".

Which is the whole point in raising athletic revenue. Getting people to buy shirts and participate.

Other stadiums / fan bases can do this...

o0tcBuO.jpg

and this

h4QpImV.jpg

Even boise can do it.

loeTEkK.jpg

Yet somehow we at WSU can't be bothered with owning another shirt....

Yup.

Suggestion to Mr Chun: If you insist on doing any sort of gray out or anthracite out, at least do it when a team like Utah or Stanford comes to town. That way if everyone goes along with the plan we will be able to identify the visitors so we can properly verbally harass them.

And never, never, NEVER do any kind of blackout. Black is not a school color and is only to be used for lettering or other highlights of crimson and gray uniforms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT