ADVERTISEMENT

All Pac-12 Athletic Competitions Cancelled Or Suspended

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Remainder of Hoops Tourney cancelled. Baseball season suspended "until further notice."

It is the right thing to do. Life is going to be very different for us all for a while.

It is the right thing to do. Life is going to be very different for us all for a while.

I'll disagree to the extent that I'd have much rather seen two week suspensions of activities with a final determination to be made as more data and protocol comes in.

For the student athletes, they essentially got their collective hearts tore out the last 36 hours. I don't think anyone would have minded the NCAA (or any of the professional leagues) saying "Look, this is serious but we just don't have enough information to make a final decision. We're going to table this and revisit in two weeks.".

This cancel mentality just stokes fear and uncertainty. It NEVER hurts to measure twice and cut once.

The decision to cancel may still ultimately be the same but if this whole thing turns out to be a big nothing burger, my actual fear is what happens when something REALLY significant happens. The boy-who-cried-wolf damage is already done.

Just very disappointed in "leaders" all over the country - local, state, federal, business community, media - going straight to apocalyptic measures and tone. This isn't the martians invading and laser beaming entire cities.

I'll disagree to the extent that I'd have much rather seen two week suspensions of activities with a final determination to be made as more data and protocol comes in.

For the student athletes, they essentially got their collective hearts tore out the last 36 hours. I don't think anyone would have minded the NCAA (or any of the professional leagues) saying "Look, this is serious but we just don't have enough information to make a final decision. We're going to table this and revisit in two weeks.".

This cancel mentality just stokes fear and uncertainty. It NEVER hurts to measure twice and cut once.

The decision to cancel may still ultimately be the same but if this whole thing turns out to be a big nothing burger, my actual fear is what happens when something REALLY significant happens. The boy-who-cried-wolf damage is already done.

Just very disappointed in "leaders" all over the country - local, state, federal, business community, media - going straight to apocalyptic measures and tone. This isn't the martians invading and laser beaming entire cities.
SO true. Well said.

Someone has to save you guys from yourselves. It is nice that there are some rational people with common sense.The last thing the USA needs is to become another Italy or Spain which adopted a hands off policy before it was too late. Some of our so called leaders needed to be prodded and tethered and made accountable.

Reactions: Coug90
We are not even close to Italy or Spain or Korea. We have erred on the side of caution I believe.

We are not even close to Italy or Spain or Korea. We have erred on the side of caution I believe.
Yet...wait. In a lot of ways we are right on trend as far as their outbreaks, and waited a helluva lot longer to address it in a meaningful way.

I hope I’m wrong...I hope in a month everyone looks back and says this was much ado about nothing. If that’s the case, things will rebound quickly. We are all hoping that- It’s not about being right or wrong about politics, the media, whatever. Reality is ALL of the data so far suggests otherwise, so the best move for humanity is to listen to the scientists and maybe more importantly, the people actually going through this (look on Twitter for stories from Italy)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT