ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Gordon

Totally disagree. The def has not been without issues.

It wasnt the defense that gave up a pick 8 or any of the myriad of fumbles giving the other team a short field. It wasnt the def that gave up punt return touchdowns. It wasnt the def that failed to kick the ball into the endzone.

The defense isnt without their issues. Blaming the seasons losses on them while not holding the offense accountable for the enormous amount of turnovers isnt fair.

It has been the defense that rolls over on 3rd and long. It has been the defense that gives up explosive plays all season.

Let's hope he can work some Brink-like magic against the mutts. Brink, for all the "discussions" about him on the fan sites, was a true husky-killer.

Except in the season where we needed a win to go to a bowl game.

Except in the season where we needed a win to go to a bowl game.

Tough crowd. I sense a bit of left over Brink/Swogger /whatever hostility. LOL

Not at all defending, or "loving on Brink", overall.

Just liking the fact he had a better record against the mutts than most of any of our other QBs over his career.

I think the highest for him right now is the 5th. Fred is projected in the 4th. Hodgins is projected FA.

Wait until he gets to the combine. Unless he does horribly on the Wonderlic test he will wow the scouts.

Just liking the fact he had a better record against the mutts than any of our other QBs over his career.
Fixed it for you. He's the only one to beat them 3x. Not that many have even done it twice.

Rypien, Rosenbach, Bledsoe, and Leaf only beat them once. Gesser and Falk never did.

Timing helps, Brink managed to be our QB for arguably the worst 5-year period in UW football. But that doesn't change 3-1.

Just liking the fact he had a better record against the mutts than most of any of our other QBs over his career.

It's ok to "love on" Brink. He was a good QB and a good Coug. Still is.

I bet he'd be a guy Leach would recruit. He would have been a great Air Raid QB I bet.

I bet he'd be a guy Leach would recruit. He would have been a great Air Raid QB I bet.

Not sure he would recruit him, but would find a way to make him a walk on...just as he did with Falk.

This is going to sound weird, but I'm okay with the picks; I kinds knew that is who he was, a gunslinger like CH with tons of confidence in his arm.

What is maddening to me is his jekyl and hyde play. I mean, he was one hopping guys on first and second down and then throws a strike over the middle.

I get the feeling that he has a bit too much confidence in his ability to make plays and defaults to "Russell Wilson mode" instead of standing in the pocket and making a technically great pass.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention at the beginning of the year, but his mechanics look to me to have gotten worse as well. Whats with the flat-footed/ back foot throws as of late?

Look at Joe Willy back in the day...he would hold it flat footed than with a lightening quick release would let it spin.

Fixed it for you. He's the only one to beat them 3x. Not that many have even done it twice.

Rypien, Rosenbach, Bledsoe, and Leaf only beat them once. Gesser and Falk never did.

Timing helps, Brink managed to be our QB for arguably the worst 5-year period in UW football. But that doesn't change 3-1.

Kevin Lopina was 1-0.

Totally disagree. The def has not been without issues.

It wasnt the defense that gave up a pick 8 or any of the myriad of fumbles giving the other team a short field. It wasnt the def that gave up punt return touchdowns. It wasnt the def that failed to kick the ball into the endzone.

The defense isnt without their issues. Blaming the seasons losses on them while not holding the offense accountable for the enormous amount of turnovers isnt fair.

It has been the defense that rolls over on 3rd and long. It has been the defense that gives up explosive plays all season.
I don't think there's a lot of room to defend this defense. They've been awful all season. The indications were even there during the non-conference, when they gave up 200 yards rushing to Northern Colorado.
We're 99th in the nation on 3rd down defense - and that reflects improvement over the last 2 weeks.
We're 121st against the pass. Opponents complete 63.5% of their passes on the season, for 13.84 yards per completion (5th worst in the nation).
We're 83rd against the run, giving up 4.98 yards per carry.
Scoring defense, we're 95th in the country at 31.5 ppg.
Red zone defense, we're actually in the top half at #49, we only give up red zone scores 81.6% of the time. But, 25 out of 31 of those red zone scores have been TDs. And, we actually have a fairly low number of red zone attempts because we've given up 20 TDs of over 20 yards.

Even without the stats, it's pretty clear on observation that our D is bad. How many dozens of times this season have we seen a 15+ yard reception completed without a defender in the area? How many times have we seen an RB get 5 yards downfield before he's touched? Or, how many times has that RB been hit in the backfield but still gained 7 yards? We're bad, there's no way around it.

In spite of that, Biggs is also right. The offense has made things really hard on the defense multiple times this season. Utah, Cal, UCLA all go down as offensive failures in one way or another...although UCLA is the only one that I think is fair to give more than half the blame to the offense. If they don't put it on the ground 5 times, we win. Utah and Cal, the offense certainly could (should?) have done more, but the D made both opposing QBs look pretty good.
Oregon, the D fell apart on the final drive and couldn't even force a 3rd down much less a stop - giving up 53 yards in 52 seconds. It was compounded by bad kick coverage and Gordon's pick-8, but the game was in the D's hands and they folded. ASU was similar, with fewer excuses.

Kevin Lopina was 1-0.
Yeah, but nobody - probably not even Lopina - would argue that he was better than some of the guys who went 0-3.

Besides, the 2008 season never happened. Well, the 0-12 UW part did, but not the rest. There was no WSU football from 2008-2011.

Look at Joe Willy back in the day...he would hold it flat footed than with a lightening quick release would let it spin.
He always lined up under center and released the ball immediately. Comparing him to one of the top 5 arms ever......unfair.

I don't think there's a lot of room to defend this defense. They've been awful all season. The indications were even there during the non-conference, when they gave up 200 yards rushing to Northern Colorado.
We're 99th in the nation on 3rd down defense - and that reflects improvement over the last 2 weeks.
We're 121st against the pass. Opponents complete 63.5% of their passes on the season, for 13.84 yards per completion (5th worst in the nation).
Red zone defense, we're actually in the top half at #49, we only give up red zone scores 81.6% of the time. But, 25 out of 31 of those red zone scores have been TDs. And, we actually have a fairly low number of red zone attempts because we've given up 20 TDs of over 20 yards.

Even without the stats, it's pretty clear on observation that our D is bad. How many dozens of times this season have we seen a 15+ yard reception completed without a defender in the area? How many times have we seen an RB get 5 yards downfield before he's touched? Or, how many times has that RB been hit in the backfield but still gained 7 yards? We're bad, there's no way around it.

In spite of that, Biggs is also right. The offense has made things really hard on the defense multiple times this season. Utah, Cal, UCLA all go down as offensive failures in one way or another...although UCLA is the only one that I think is fair to give more than half the blame to the offense. If they don't put it on the ground 5 times, we win. Utah and Cal, the offense certainly could (should?) have done more, but the D made both opposing QBs look pretty good.
Oregon, the D fell apart on the final drive and couldn't even force a 3rd down much less a stop - giving up 53 yards in 52 seconds. It was compounded by bad kick coverage and Gordon's pick-8, but the game was in the D's hands and they folded. ASU was similar, with fewer excuses.
I'm not 100% on board with your UCLA assessment--yes, the offense fumbled a bunch, but I remember a couple of those fumbles came after the massive comeback started when the ballcarriers were doing too much and trying everything in their power to make plays because they knew damn well UCLA was going to score on every possession. Under normal circumstances I don't think some of those fumbles happen.

He always lined up under center and released the ball immediately. Comparing him to one of the top 5 arms ever......unfair.

Why, one of the top five "arms" ever was almost 50 years ago. They didn't lift back in the day. The comparison was about how he threw. Was flat footed then fired it. But Gordon has an extremely good arm, and an extremely quick release.

Why, one of the top five "arms" ever was almost 50 years ago. They didn't lift back in the day. The comparison was about how he threw. Was flat footed then fired it. But Gordon has an extremely good arm, and an extremely quick release.
Here...here's a tape of him. If there's a Joe Namath in this draft...we'll all know about.

Brink would've been pretty good in the Air Raid. He had the best pocket presence at QB we'd had until Minshew, got out of sacks and bad plays all the time. His arm just limited the kinds of throws he could make and it made him easier to defend.

Yea, timing helps, but it's not like Doba was rolling out conference contenders every year either.

I'm not 100% on board with your UCLA assessment--yes, the offense fumbled a bunch, but I remember a couple of those fumbles came after the massive comeback started when the ballcarriers were doing too much and trying everything in their power to make plays because they knew damn well UCLA was going to score on every possession. Under normal circumstances I don't think some of those fumbles happen.

But they did. And the 2 returns for 14 points didnt help either. Again, not the defenses fault.

When the defense needed the kick team to put it in the endzone... they failed. This defense needs as much help as possible. Defending 75 yards rather than a short field matters.

But they did. And the 2 returns for 14 points didnt help either. Again, not the defenses fault.
I suppose if your argument is that this defense sucks horribly and it needs Herculean performances from the other squads, then we’re in agreement

I suppose if your argument is that this defense sucks horribly and it needs Herculean performances from the other squads, then we’re in agreement

Fit and strong and tough all day only applies to one side of the ball. Obviously.

To be perfectly clear. Any criticism of Gordon is not coming from a place of him costing us games. At least for me, they're just little things that MAY have helped compensate for an extremely poor defense. With just an average Pac level D, I think he'd have us at 8-10 wins. Like I said before, if we win the UCLA game I think everyone's outlook on this season/Gordon are much different. All of us fans have been watching this season Post UCLA through that disappointing lens.

Like not giving up 2 special teams touchdown? Or not turning the ball over 6 times in a game? Or not having the offense leave them with 27 yards to defend? Or not having the offense give up touchdowns??

I agree the defense has struggled mightily. But to deny that the offense hasnt left them jammed up or the special teams hasnt left them jammed up is STUPID!!!!

Buddy Ryan wouldve thrown punches at Leach for his offense f8cking up like that.

Like not giving up 2 special teams touchdown? Or not turning the ball over 6 times in a game? Or not having the offense leave them with 27 yards to defend? Or not having the offense give up touchdowns??

I agree the defense has struggled mightily. But to deny that the offense hasnt left them jammed up or the special teams hasnt left them jammed up is STUPID!!!!

Buddy Ryan wouldve thrown punches at Leach for his offense f8cking up like that.

Speaking of stupid....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT