ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Gordon

ill say undrafted free agent. Scouts are going to be watching the same things that make us pull our hair out.

Yeah no later than round 5. If he has a great combine he could go 3rd. There is always some egomaniac that thinks he fix somebody...

He'll get a senior bowl invite and show off his arm talent. He carried us on his back tonight and got us to bowl eligibility. Good for him. Some fans hated him the moment Gubrud didn't win the job. Kid stuck around when others would have transferred and his having a record setting year. Will go down as one of the best seasons by a Coug QB ever despite all the noise. He might be cocky, but he is OUR cocky QB. Happy for him!

If he plays well for the remainder of the season and similarly at the senior bowl, someone will take a late round flyer on him.

Gordon and Minshew are the most talented qbs since Leaf. Gordon quickest release in program history. His stats alone will get him drafted. Will have 50 tds in the season and over 5500 yards and fans don't think he's very good. SMH.

Gordon and Minshew are the most talented qbs since Leaf. Gordon quickest release in program history. His stats alone will get him drafted. Will have 50 tds in the season and over 5500 yards and fans don't think he's very good. SMH.
I think he has Falk's field vision and Halliday's belief in his own arm. His accuracy on the short and medium stuff is what makes him hard to handle at the college level. If he saw the field and handled the pocket the way Minshew did he'd be NFL starter material. He has the talent.

Reactions: triscuit one
To borrow a line from Bull Durham...million dollar arm and a ten cent head.

He has the physical skills, but not the decision making

Reactions: 79COUG
45 td 14 int....the dreaded 3:1 td to int ratio.
He threw one bad ball all game yesterday. The first pick in red zone. The second pick was a tremendous int by a 6'4" completely outstretched CB. The third bounced off Patmon's chest. Take away arconados Oregon Int and Patmon's 2 drops turned int and he is sitting at 45 td 11 int. Some of you traditional types would take 3 and outs and 8 sec sack over Gordon. Nutso. He delivered the key drive in the OSU, Oregon and ASU game. Just two of those our vaunted D showed up. Lol

Last edited:
45 td 14 ing....the dreaded 3:1 td to int ratio.
He threw one bad ball all game yesterday. The first pick in red zone. The second pick was a tremendous int by a 6'4" completely outstretched CB. The third bounced off Patmon's chest. Take away arconados Oregon Int and Patmon's 2 drops turned int and he is sitting at 45 td 11 int. Some of you traditional types would take 3 and outs and 8 sec sack over Gordon. Nutso. He delivered the key drive in the OSU, Oregon and ASU game. Just two of those our vaunted D showed up. Lol
Just a couple of weeks ago, his critics said he had never come through on an important drive at the end of a game (which was not true since he gave WSU the lead vs. UO on a 90-yard drive that put us in position to win). Now he does it vs. OSU and still doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves. Fact is he played a fantastic second half after a shaky first half. Stats alone don't win games, obviously. But it's hard for me to be critical of a guy who has thrown 45 TDs this season. That has led to WSU's ranking as #9 in scoring offense in the nation. Maybe if he can win the Apple Cup, Gordon will finally be accepted by his WSU critics. Maybe not.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Here’s the problem with a guy like Gordon. He’s shown such brilliance and ability that when he makes a bad decision it feels much worse. I’m guilty of it too. He really has been fantastic but the fan frustration goes with the territory when you set the bar so high.

The criticism this year should mostly be directed at the other side of the ball. His biggest fault, other than the maddening INTs, is following a legend.

Last edited:
He should have had at least 3 more INTs yesterday. He makes a lot of bad throws, but has been lucky with defenders dropping them.
Add in the previous criticisms about his propensity for the right side, his tendency to lock in on his primary, and his typical refusal to check to the run, and yes....there’s room for criticism. Sure, he checked to the run last night, but it’s rare...and in that case was the obvious call.
In the upcoming offseason, when someone posts the inevitable ‘who would you pick for your all-time team,’ AG doesn’t rank above #4 to me

He should have had at least 3 more INTs yesterday. He makes a lot of bad throws, but has been lucky with defenders dropping them.
Add in the previous criticisms about his propensity for the right side, his tendency to lock in on his primary, and his typical refusal to check to the run, and yes....there’s room for criticism. Sure, he checked to the run last night, but it’s rare...and in that case was the obvious call.
In the upcoming offseason, when someone posts the inevitable ‘who would you pick for your all-time team,’ AG doesn’t rank above #4 to me

Well, Luton coulda, shoulda had more picks too.

Just a couple of weeks ago, his critics said he had never come through on an important drive at the end of a game (which was not true since he gave WSU the lead vs. UO on a 90-yard drive that put us in position to win). Now he does it vs. OSU and still doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves. Fact is he played a fantastic second half after a shaky first half. Stats alone don't win games, obviously. But it's hard for me to be critical of a guy who has thrown 45 TDs this season. That has led to WSU's ranking as #9 in scoring offense in the nation. Maybe if he can win the Apple Cup, Gordon will finally be accepted by his WSU critics. Maybe not.

Glad Cougar
I think the narrative for him and this team is completely different for him if we find a way to hold onto that UCLA game. That game however unfairly put a sour taste in our collective minds regarding him and the team. I'm guilty of it also. I like to think that a QB that has "it" finds some way to rally the troops on either side of the ball or both sides to steady the ship when the wheels started falling off. If you really look at the game objectively, I don't think he did anything wrong, he just didn't win it.

Part of the problem with the number of picks he is throwing is that it can be considered as a 14 point swing—we don’t score, and our nonexistent D gives up the 7 going the other way. Even with the prolific offense, it’s not enough to overcome those large point swings. If we had a semblance of a defense then AG’s interceptions would be more forgivable.

I think the narrative for him and this team is completely different for him if we find a way to hold onto that UCLA game. That game however unfairly put a sour taste in our collective minds regarding him and the team. I'm guilty of it also. I like to think that a QB that has "it" finds some way to rally the troops on either side of the ball or both sides to steady the ship when the wheels started falling off. If you really look at the game objectively, I don't think he did anything wrong, he just didn't win it.
I don't blame Gordon for the UCLA loss. I blame receiver fumbles, the coverage teams, the defense, and Liam Ryan all before I blame Gordon. I missed the Utah game, and the only game I really blame him for losing is Cal, because the whole offense was miserable against Cal, and that falls on Leach and Leach's QB.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Part of the problem with the number of picks he is throwing is that it can be considered as a 14 point swing—we don’t score, and our nonexistent D gives up the 7 going the other way. Even with the prolific offense, it’s not enough to overcome those large point swings. If we had a semblance of a defense then AG’s interceptions would be more forgivable.

The thing is.....college football has changed. 20 years ago, Gordon's numbers and INT ratio would be incredible. As it is, his 3:1 ratio is well below what the elite QB's are doing. Given the nature of our offense and the proliferation of "safe" passes, he is supposed to have a great ratio if he's doing it right. Here is a list of what the top rated NFL draft QB's are doing.

Joe Burrows, LSU: 41:6
Justin Herbert, Ore: 30:5
Jake Fromm, UGa: 17:3
Tua Tagovaila, Ala: 33:3
Jalen Hurts, Okl: 30:6
Jacob Eason, UW: 21:8 (hey...someone in the same ballpark.....and his team is 6-5 too)
Tyler Huntley, Utah: 14:2
Sam Ehlinger, Tex: 27:9 (another guy in Gordon's ballpark......and his team is 6-5 too)
Jordan Love, Ut State: 15:14 (terrible ratio.....and another team that is 6-5)

When you look at that list, the elite QB's who's teams are doing well have a 5:1 or better TD:INT ratio. The QB's who don't have good ratios are on teams that are 6-5....just like WSU. The list above suggests that Gordon will get a look by the NFL and I hope he gets a spot. I don't expect him to make a roster. The kid has a tremendous arm but he's static and flat footed in the pocket, not mobile enough, has a low release point that encourages tips and deflections, lacks field vision on the move and relies on that quick release to sneak throws past defenders. I don't have a grudge against him......I just have a pair of eyes that sees that he lacks the "IT" factor that a guy like Minshew had.

Gordon may get a shot because he can be a truly gifted QB if he can work on his bad habits. Again, I'm thrilled with how well that Gordon has played overall and the 6-5 record doesn't lay on his shoulders alone, but all of us know that if he had five fewer interceptions this year, we would have 2-3 more wins. The defense is more to blame, but if he was as mindful of the ball as his top level peers.....we wouldn't be talking about this. UCLA and Oregon would have been wins if he had thrown one less key interception (he had two in both games). His pick against Cal set a negative tone in that game that we never overcame. I don't know if we beat Utah without his two picks....but they were a big factor.

Finally, to be fair, the defense is the big reason that the interceptions are a bigger deal, but every QB who throws too many picks has to bear some of the blame. Again....see the list of 6-5 teams above.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
This is going to sound weird, but I'm okay with the picks; I kinds knew that is who he was, a gunslinger like CH with tons of confidence in his arm.

What is maddening to me is his jekyl and hyde play. I mean, he was one hopping guys on first and second down and then throws a strike over the middle.

I get the feeling that he has a bit too much confidence in his ability to make plays and defaults to "Russell Wilson mode" instead of standing in the pocket and making a technically great pass.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention at the beginning of the year, but his mechanics look to me to have gotten worse as well. Whats with the flat-footed/ back foot throws as of late?

This is going to sound weird, but I'm okay with the picks; I kinds knew that is who he was, a gunslinger like CH with tons of confidence in his arm.

What is maddening to me is his jekyl and hyde play. I mean, he was one hopping guys on first and second down and then throws a strike over the middle.

I get the feeling that he has a bit too much confidence in his ability to make plays and defaults to "Russell Wilson mode" instead of standing in the pocket and making a technically great pass.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention at the beginning of the year, but his mechanics look to me to have gotten worse as well. Whats with the flat-footed/ back foot throws as of late?
He's been throwing flat-footed/back foot all year. He's particularly fond of doing it deep in the redzone. He's missed several TDs doing it. He's less accurate when he does it, but I think it's a product of him trying to release it as quick as possible.
I wouldn't mind the picks as much if our D was average, but as a QB you have to protect the football, specially when we're in scoring range, when you have a bad D. You just can't take too big of risks when at least 3 pts is on the table. Like Flat said above, with our defense a pick when we're in the redzone is an automatic 10-14 pt swing that either keeps bad teams close or keeps you from stretching the lead on good teams like Oregon.

Wins > stats

The fact that we are even talking about Gordon's chances of getting drafted in the NFL would probably seem inconceivable before the season started. Again, he is not without his flaws and expectations are especially high in an air raid offense...but if WSU gets that kind of production from the QB every year, the Cougars will have a real good season more often than not.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Coug1990
Depends what the question is. If Minshew were here, WSU would have a similar record. It has been the defense that has lost games.

I don't believe that for a second. I think it's presumptuous to assume that we'd be undefeated with GMII, but I think we'd be at least 9-2 if he were here. Stats aren't everything and Gordon's picks have been devastating. Now, if our defense didn't suck donkey balls, we'd be undefeated with either one of them, but that's a different conversation.

The Gordon discussion sounds a lot like the Brink discussions from years ago, minus the relentless clamoring for the backup.

Depends what the question is. If Minshew were here, WSU would have a similar record. It has been the defense that has lost games.

Totally disagree. The def has not been without issues.

It wasnt the defense that gave up a pick 8 or any of the myriad of fumbles giving the other team a short field. It wasnt the def that gave up punt return touchdowns. It wasnt the def that failed to kick the ball into the endzone.

The defense isnt without their issues. Blaming the seasons losses on them while not holding the offense accountable for the enormous amount of turnovers isnt fair.

Reactions: CougEd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT