ADVERTISEMENT

Any black folks here?

I have no problem with Deion low key implying the African Americans on our team aren't black because they've set foot in Pullman. Dickert should make sure to show this to the team as well.
Exactly what I’m thinking. Should be bulletin board material. I mean while he’s chuckling about that, does it cross his mind at all that that’s disrespectful to black people who happen to live in the community? Could you be more of an asshole?

Exactly what I’m thinking. Should be bulletin board material. I mean while he’s chuckling about that, does it cross his mind at all that that’s disrespectful to black people who happen to live in the community? Could you be more of an asshole
It's only Wednesday so I'm sure more idiotic statements might come from his mouth. I'm assuming he has a similar opinion of Moscow which means I probably won't run into him at Winco.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Exactly what I’m thinking. Should be bulletin board material. I mean while he’s chuckling about that, does it cross his mind at all that that’s disrespectful to black people who happen to live in the community? Could you be more of an asshole?
Umm Elson Floyd come to mind anyone?

Or gee, Pullman icon Bill Gaskins?

This shouldn’t be a surprise. He was all about himself in college, in the pros, and even as a broadcaster.

All the jewelry, all the talk, all the strutting and dancing, the raising his voice and talking over the other broadcasters…all of it was “look at me!!”

Why would he change as a coach?

Boulder 1.3%.....Pullman 2.91% African American. Facts are your friends.
So basically, Pullman has twice the number of African Americans as Boulder. There should be some signs at the game to remind him of that.
That guy really is disrespectful.

Deion's comments aren't surprising to hear. It's not an uncommon view in many of the inner city living rooms where he recruits. Frankly this was a knock about Chris Petersen on the trial: he wanted upper middle class African Americans not inner city kids.

I'm surprised he's saying it out loud. He has a lot of endorsement money coming his way and this won't help him with over half the country. I'd expect Deion to walk back his comments shortly if he gets much heat.

Somebody should send Mr. Sanders clippings about the Duke Washington story which was national news at the time. Many of you may be familiar that in the mid-50s, the cougars were set to play Texas down in their stadium. But Texas wouldn’t let Duke Washington play in their stadium because he was Black. The Cougars said they wouldn’t play then, Texas relented, and so he became the first Black player to play at Texas. Duke Washington always spoke highly of WSU and was very involved for years.

I actually first heard that story from a certain Ammon McWashington, who also happens to be Black and played for the Cougars in the mid 60s. (and yes he is Shawn’s Dad.)

zzzzzz....

I think if a white person said "you know damn well ain't no white people been to Compton" most black people would shake their head in agreement. Its all the precious snowflake white people who have to infer racism into everything, like this entire thread.

Who. Cares?

I don’t think Deion sanders gives a shit about any black people that aren’t named Deion sanders.
I think you can shorten that to any people that aren’t named Deion Sanders.

Now you know damn well if we are talking about…Compton, let’s say, and the roles are reversed this is racist AF. I’ve given Deion the benefit of the doubt but geesus what a clown.

Yes, if roles were reversed, the idiots in the media would be crying "racist!"

I found coach Prime's comments hilarious, though.

Reactions: Coug90
zzzzzz....

I think if a white person said "you know damn well ain't no white people been to Compton" most black people would shake their head in agreement. Its all the precious snowflake white people who have to infer racism into everything, like this entire thread.

Who. Cares?
K. Then there’s reality. Jake Dickert says this at a press conference right before the Cougs go play in Compton (basically USC) who’s getting promoted to interim head coach?

Even if 98% of black people could care less, the 2% that riot and the 100% of media that blows it up into a full blown national crisis is what gets him fired.

It was a dumb ass comment from someone who’s getting far too comfortable running his mouth.

K. Then there’s reality. Jake Dickert says this at a press conference right before the Cougs go play in Compton (basically USC) who’s getting promoted to interim head coach?

Even if 98% of black people could care less, the 2% that riot and the 100% of media that blows it up into a full blown national crisis is what gets him fired.

It was a dumb ass comment from someone who’s getting far too comfortable running his mouth.
He’s been running his mouth almost nonstop for over 30 years. Why stop now?

zzzzzz....

Who. Cares?

What Deion said is actually pretty damned racist and he is definitely stereotyping out of ignorance. The fact that Pullman has a higher percentage of black people than Boulder makes it particularly ignorant on his part. Personally, I don't really care that he said it, because he's always been an arrogant, racist prick who thinks he's better than anyone else...so why be surprised and upset when he shows that he is still who he's always been?

It was light hearted humor folks, get over your wallflower selves. Embrace the fact that WSU is located in a vast farming community and is lilly white. Bill Burr/Chris Rock are funny because they poke fun at race and stereotypes, and don't care that they might offend the hypersensitive! Be funny, but not at my/our expense is the definition of a humorless.

It was light hearted humor folks, get over your wallflower selves. Embrace the fact that WSU is located in a vast farming community and is lilly white. Bill Burr/Chris Rock are funny because they poke fun at race and stereotypes, and don't care that they might offend the hypersensitive! Be funny, but not at my/our expense is the definition of a humorless.
To be clear I’m not personally offended, and if he said it to me over a beer I’d certainly chuckle. I love Chris rock, Bill Burr, Daniel Tosh, Louis CK. All gut busting funny. And they all say stuff 10X worse than this. But Deion isn’t a comedian saying outrageous stuff to people who paid to hear it. And it’s fair to point out the double standard that’s so obvious.

The problem with the "hey...it's just a joke" bullshit is the fact that WSU is being sh!t on nationally and left out in the cold because of bullsh!t stereotypes already. We don't need some ignorant hack making jokes because he thinks he's funny. That said....I'm not "mad" because I already know that Sanders is an ignorant dickhead and frankly, it's kind of funny that Boulder has fewer minorities in Pullman while he's talking sh!t about Pullman.

I hope that he fails miserably at Colorado and ends up relegated back to the lower divisions. Not because of this joke, but because of the ridiculous charade that he puts out there overall.

To be clear I’m not personally offended, and if he said it to me over a beer I’d certainly chuckle. I love Chris rock, Bill Burr, Daniel Tosh, Louis CK. All gut busting funny. And they all say stuff 10X worse than this. But Deion isn’t a comedian saying outrageous stuff to people who paid to hear it. And it’s fair to point out the double standard that’s so obvious.
What double standard? When and where has Sanders been race hypersensitive? The only thing he has been is unashamedly black, that ain't the same. Anyone can try to be funny, you don't need a license to be a comedian. I don't get your point. These type of comments are only appropriate in a stand up act? Mike Leach would hate that! He was the "stand up" head coach." And some times snowflakes didn't like it.

Boulder contains the worst demographics in the country (along with most all big university towns):

White, affluent, secular, "educated," government workers, woke (of course), guilt-ridden, etc...all living in their little taxpayer-funded utopia.
newsmax bingo right there. Go touch grass.

Lots of triggered boomers in this thread. Pullman isn't exactly a destination for black people.

Facts don't care about your feelings, snowflakes.

Lots of triggered boomers in this thread. Pullman isn't exactly a destination for black people.

Facts don't care about your feelings, snowflakes.
First, I'm sure Deion would like to talk about anything other than the W-L record.

Second the hypocrisy, or irony, or whatever, of Deion spouting off on this issue is reasonable point of discussion considering Deion is coaching in a pastier (appears to be word) white city.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Mr. Sanders does an absolutely outstanding job of getting free press. He does that by being outrageous. Part of his "outrageous" schtick is to say things that no one with any self respect or courtesy would say. It works great for him! This thread is an example of its effectiveness. He also is not bothered by little things such as truth; after all, facts just get in the way of a good story.

Ultimately we will find out whether the bombast produces wins. Certainly, he is winding it up as often as he gets an opportunity.

The problem with the "hey...it's just a joke" bullshit is the fact that WSU is being sh!t on nationally and left out in the cold because of bullsh!t stereotypes already. We don't need some ignorant hack making jokes because he thinks he's funny. That said....I'm not "mad" because I already know that Sanders is an ignorant dickhead and frankly, it's kind of funny that Boulder has fewer minorities in Pullman while he's talking sh!t about Pullman.

I hope that he fails miserably at Colorado and ends up relegated back to the lower divisions. Not because of this joke, but because of the ridiculous charade that he puts out there overall.
For some strange reason you are conflating what white media, and a white university establishment, has done to WSU, with the fact that WSU is as far from an urban black community as you can get in this country. You do realize Deion last coached at the blackest school, in the blackest city, in the blackest state, in the blackest conference, and now he is going to coach a game in a place perceived, rightly or wrongly, as a polar opposite environment. He can't make a joke about that?

You want to get serious, you want to get indignant -- why did it take until 2022 for a SWAC coach to have the opportunity to coach Power 5 football? Eddie Robinson and his 408 wins wasn't good enough? Deion has earned the right to have a little fun, at our expense.

Toughen up buttercup!

Last edited:
For some strange reason you are conflating what white media, and a white university establishment, has done to WSU, with the fact that WSU is as far from an urban black community as you can get in this country. You do realize Deion last coached at the blackest school, in the blackest city, in the blackest state, in the blackest conference, and now he is going to coach a game in a place perceived, rightly or wrongly, as a polar opposite environment. He can't make a joke about that?

You want to get serious, you want to get indignant -- why did it take until 2022 for a SWC coach to have the opportunity to coach Power 5 football? Eddie Robinson and his 408 wins wasn't good enough? Deion has earned the right to have a little fun, at our expense.

Toughen up buttercup!

He's still an idiot and a hypocrite. Hope he bumps his stump of a foot on the airplane steps on his way to Pullman.

You want to get serious, you want to get indignant -- why did it take until 2022 for a SWC coach to have the opportunity to coach Power 5 football? Eddie Robinson and his 408 wins wasn't good enough? Deion has earned the right to have a little fun, at our expense.

Toughen up buttercup!
If I may quote from Dave Chappelles “Racial Draft”, “I will represent the black delegation “….I understand the insensitivity to it as he was part of the break up of the Pac 12, but it is a fact Pullman is very white . And in other times who would give a crap what he says .

Leon Bender once mentioned the lack of diversity but he came to really represent all that Pullman has to offer . As does George Raveling. Think about Raveling for a minute. I believe he was the first Black coach given the opportunity to coach at a D1 level… and in the most white school around .

If I may quote from Dave Chappelles “Racial Draft”, “I will represent the black delegation “….I understand the insensitivity to it as he was part of the break up of the Pac 12, but it is a fact Pullman is very white . And in other times who would give a crap what he says .

Leon Bender once mentioned the lack of diversity but he came to really represent all that Pullman has to offer . As does George Raveling. Think about Raveling for a minute. I believe he was the first Black coach given the opportunity to coach at a D1 level… and in the most white school around .

Let's not forget Duke Washington, the first black running back to play on the field against Texas because WSU refused to play without him. But hey....it's okay for Sanders to be an ignorant dick because he coached at Jackson State.

Let's not forget Duke Washington, the first black running back to play on the field against Texas because WSU refused to play without him. But hey....it's okay for Sanders to be an ignorant dick because he coached at Jackson State.
Very good point about Duke Washington … but I did already mention that much earlier 😀

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT