ADVERTISEMENT

Apple Cup and Ellensburg

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Tron mentioned how Ellensburg could be more of a draw for concerts than say the Gorge, and how we should play all the Apple Cups in Tron Stadium, Ellensburg.

He mentioned how Coachella and Stagecoach was such a big draw and Ellensburg could replicate that moneymaker.

I didn’t know much about Coachella or Stagecoach, or the revenues and costs associated with the production until this past week. I went down to LaQuinta for spring break , and if I walked out the front door of where I was staying ,scaled a wall I would walk over to Coachella. What is obvious and what I learned while being down there is that there is no fixed building, and the promoters are responsible for the entire setup, from the stages to concessions . As I mentioned right now it is simply a dirt field .

So still not sure how Tron Stadium gets funded because the artists then the promoter are getting a hefty chunk of the gross revenue .

I guess we will have to keep the games in Pullman.

Last edited:
Get the school bands and cheer squads to erect scaffolded bleachers, roll out some sod, and make it happen! What could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: CecilYounger
Yes coachella is essentially a dirt field. You can watch the setup time lapse here.

Which shows why it would work in Ellensburg. Coachella grossed 114 million dollars.

But the impact is much much bigger
  • $704 million -- amount of overall economic activity (spending by consumers and businesses) generated by Coachella and Stagecoach, according to projections by the Coachella Valley Economic Partnership and Greater Palm Springs Convention and Visitors Bureau

• $403 million -- estimated spending in the greater Coachella Valley area

• $106 million --estimated amount of money injected into the economy of Indio alone

• $3.18 million -- tax revenue for Indio generated by ticket sales, accounting for 5% of the city's general fund

• 99,000 -- per-day attendance during the six days of Coachella, according to Goldenvoice

• 70,000 -- per-day attendance for the three days of Stagecoach

• 9,000 -- estimated number of people expected to stay in Airbnb homes during the festival, double the amount from last year
Now the company that puts on these festivals is Goldenvoice.

So that's basically who we would have to partner with, and we could design Ellensburg to completely cater to the festival BECAUSE it is kind of a blank slate. The reason they could do it at Coachella is because there wasn't much there and that's what they need to make an event like that happen.

As you can see Ellensburg is a beautiful blank slate that would work perfectly.
Document

It gets people OUT of seattle and into a wonderful setting in fall to see live music and the Apple Cup.

Now in order to do this we would need a "fair park" similar to that of Dallas
K2vBa1D.png

Now obviously we don't need to do something this elaborate. All we need is an area big enough to put the stadium down and accompanying pavilion.

Like 242 acres for only 4 million bucks
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Ellensburg/3051-Number-6-Rd-98926/home/92324552#property-details

Fair Park in Dallas is only 277 acres.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Park

So for the land it's only 4 million dollars which is great.

Now the cost of a stadium.
Using some google search we can see that it's about 5,300 dollars per seat to build.
https://www.quora.com/How-much-will-a-50-000-60-000-modern-football-stadium-cost
$5,300 per seat

So if we want a true 100k venue it would be 530 million dollars rough estimate) (A hefty price tag but then again as I mentioned the 704 million dollar economic impact of these festivals, plus the game, plus the high tech conference and agribusiness conferences would easily pay for it quickly.

So overall to make this dream happen it would cost roughly 750 million dollars to create something longstanding that would produce that much in economic activity EVERY single year.

Is it worth it? Hell yes it is worth it.

So how do we get 750 million for the construction of such a venue. Well you tax alcohol, weed, and tobacco.
https://www.tre.wa.gov/portfolio-item/washington-state-marijuana-revenues-and-health/
3 bucks on each product sold until we hit the 750million (which will not take long) Then the surchage ends.

Now the state has the Cash to build the venue. Remember it only needs 4 million to secure the land. The rest is just revenue raising to push the button on construction.

and once that gets started. Ellensburg economic activity will boom. Land becomes more valuable, hotels restaurants and vendors want to get in on the action and it gets incredibly easy to turn it into a mega money maker for WSU and UW.

It's a smart idea.

"The estimated economic impact of $38 million is calculated by the Dallas Sports Commission through a survey crew. They ask fans where they're from, how many nights they're staying in a hotel and how much they expect to spend." source

That's just the game. Couple it with a festival and high tech conference and every year in the fall Ellensburg becomes one of the biggest money makers in the entire state.

It could push revenues for the game with television rights into 50 million for BOTH schools meaning 100 million in revenue. Tickets, concessions, media rights, institution fees on affiliated events.

But hey instead let's play the Apple Cup at the end of the year in inclimate weather getting scraps of money.... because it's worked out so well for us...

Yes coachella is essentially a dirt field. You can watch the setup time lapse here.

Which shows why it would work in Ellensburg. Coachella grossed 114 million dollars.

But the impact is much much bigger
  • $704 million -- amount of overall economic activity (spending by consumers and businesses) generated by Coachella and Stagecoach, according to projections by the Coachella Valley Economic Partnership and Greater Palm Springs Convention and Visitors Bureau

• $403 million -- estimated spending in the greater Coachella Valley area

• $106 million --estimated amount of money injected into the economy of Indio alone

• $3.18 million -- tax revenue for Indio generated by ticket sales, accounting for 5% of the city's general fund

• 99,000 -- per-day attendance during the six days of Coachella, according to Goldenvoice

• 70,000 -- per-day attendance for the three days of Stagecoach

• 9,000 -- estimated number of people expected to stay in Airbnb homes during the festival, double the amount from last year
Now the company that puts on these festivals is Goldenvoice.

So that's basically who we would have to partner with, and we could design Ellensburg to completely cater to the festival BECAUSE it is kind of a blank slate. The reason they could do it at Coachella is because there wasn't much there and that's what they need to make an event like that happen.

As you can see Ellensburg is a beautiful blank slate that would work perfectly.
Document

It gets people OUT of seattle and into a wonderful setting in fall to see live music and the Apple Cup.

Now in order to do this we would need a "fair park" similar to that of Dallas
K2vBa1D.png

Now obviously we don't need to do something this elaborate. All we need is an area big enough to put the stadium down and accompanying pavilion.

Like 242 acres for only 4 million bucks
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Ellensburg/3051-Number-6-Rd-98926/home/92324552#property-details

Fair Park in Dallas is only 277 acres.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Park

So for the land it's only 4 million dollars which is great.

Now the cost of a stadium.
Using some google search we can see that it's about 5,300 dollars per seat to build.
https://www.quora.com/How-much-will-a-50-000-60-000-modern-football-stadium-cost
$5,300 per seat

So if we want a true 100k venue it would be 530 million dollars rough estimate) (A hefty price tag but then again as I mentioned the 704 million dollar economic impact of these festivals, plus the game, plus the high tech conference and agribusiness conferences would easily pay for it quickly.

So overall to make this dream happen it would cost roughly 750 million dollars to create something longstanding that would produce that much in economic activity EVERY single year.

Is it worth it? Hell yes it is worth it.

So how do we get 750 million for the construction of such a venue. Well you tax alcohol, weed, and tobacco.
https://www.tre.wa.gov/portfolio-item/washington-state-marijuana-revenues-and-health/
3 bucks on each product sold until we hit the 750million (which will not take long) Then the surchage ends.

Now the state has the Cash to build the venue. Remember it only needs 4 million to secure the land. The rest is just revenue raising to push the button on construction.

and once that gets started. Ellensburg economic activity will boom. Land becomes more valuable, hotels restaurants and vendors want to get in on the action and it gets incredibly easy to turn it into a mega money maker for WSU and UW.

It's a smart idea.

"The estimated economic impact of $38 million is calculated by the Dallas Sports Commission through a survey crew. They ask fans where they're from, how many nights they're staying in a hotel and how much they expect to spend." source

That's just the game. Couple it with a festival and high tech conference and every year in the fall Ellensburg becomes one of the biggest money makers in the entire state.

It could push revenues for the game with television rights into 50 million for BOTH schools meaning 100 million in revenue. Tickets, concessions, media rights, institution fees on affiliated events.

But hey instead let's play the Apple Cup at the end of the year in inclimate weather getting scraps of money.... because it's worked out so well for us...

I get the revenue stream to the local economy...but still struggling with two questions. 1) Why do they need to concert venues 35 miles apart? Why do they have to reinvent the wheel to have it in E-burg or if they choose to do it in E-burg why they need a 50k stadium? It sounds like Troncella can be produced without a new stadium?

Second, while there are nice revenues that goes to the local economy, the artists, hotels, where does the money come from to build a stadium for one game a year, the Apple Cup.

In terms of bad weather, has weather really been the problem in the Apple Cup? I mean seriously.

I get the revenue stream to the local economy...but still struggling with two questions. 1) Why do they need to concert venues 35 miles apart? Why do they have to reinvent the wheel to have it in E-burg or if they choose to do it in E-burg why they need a 50k stadium? It sounds like Troncella can be produced without a new stadium?

Second, while there are nice revenues that goes to the local economy, the artists, hotels, where does the money come from to build a stadium for one game a year, the Apple Cup.

In terms of bad weather, has weather really been the problem in the Apple Cup? I mean seriously.

I answered that in the post a $3 dollar surcharge on tobacco / alcohol / weed (1 dollar on each) until we hit the 750 million. which we would hit very quickly.

I think the weather at the end of the year hurts the game tremendously. Not just from a competitive standpoint, but from a logistical standpoint. ESPECIALLY when its in Pullman every other year. I already documented the distance between schools on rivalry day for WSU and UW is significantly greater than other schools, and the fact the weather gets crazy hurts the game revenue and visibility.

By moving the rivalry game to one of the most beautiful parts of fall we are essentially taking a game in inhospitable weather and moving it to a time in beautiful weather.

526ea3d250048.image.jpg

This is much more appealing for going out (which is what is required for the game)

Then this...

3-snow.jpg

It's safer for fans. More accessible to everyone in the state and really show cases how beautiful that state of Washington is in the fall. That to me is what the spirit of the Apple Cup is all about, and right now it is just a rivalry game at the end of the year that maybe you can get to if you want to brave the ice on the 195/.

This isn't appealing to fans:
UkbB4Zp.png

It's dangerous. It just basically is a buzzkill for what should be one of the most joyous events in the entire state.

So why I like this idea so much is it brings out the very best of the state for a game when the state is its most beautiful, centrally located and accessible, and isn't favored to one school or the other, but instead is a central convergence of state bragging rights, state vendors, beautiful scenery, and a tremendous annual experience.

And I'll say this if people want a rivalry game at the end of the year then we can just schedule idaho as our FCS game every single year at the end of the year.

They would always play in Pullman, it's a short drive for everybody in Moscow and would curtail any economic missing out local Pullman businesses would feel.

So Apple Cup in 1st week of October / Battle for Palouse at the end of the year. We could still have 2 non conference games to start the season. pick a MWC team and a B1G team or something.

Tron,

Consistently love your posts. Always quality stuff.

I hope you are kidding. A long and detailed and properly linked novel is not "quality" when the whole premise is completely ridiculous, the numbers don't pass muster under anyone who has a brain's scrutiny, and it is topped off by the increasingly (as the years go by) ridiculous, stupid, and just plain asshole-ish pictures and made up quotes of Walden and Wulff.

Will there be unicorn rides at the AppleCupalooza?

Unicorns are cool. Big money in unicorn rides for the kids.

I hope you are kidding. A long and detailed and properly linked novel is not "quality" when the whole premise is completely ridiculous, the numbers don't pass muster under anyone who has a brain's scrutiny, and it is topped off by the increasingly (as the years go by) ridiculous, stupid, and just plain asshole-ish pictures and made up quotes of Walden and Wulff.

And who started this pointless thread?

The 9-40 children of the poor mentality is strong with Observer, Ed, and Loyal.

Will there be unicorn rides at the AppleCupalooza?

Unicorns are cool. Big money in unicorn rides for the kids.
Can scoop up the rainbow apples and sell them to the local Brony chapter, or as special fertilizer. Maximize your revenue!

They are making fun of the subject matter. I simply brought it up cause I was right across from where Coachella is held and had no idea they didn’t have a fixed structure . And still trying to figure out the math and why we need two concert venues in a lowly populated area .

They are making fun of the subject matter. I simply brought it up cause I was right across from where Coachella is held and had no idea they didn’t have a fixed structure . And still trying to figure out the math and why we need two concert venues in a lowly populated area .

We have a fixed structure for the game. we have an open area pavilion for the concert / fair.

Combining festival + in state rivalry game + high tech / agribusiness fair/conference = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

lots and lots of money.

Want the students to go? - Lots of cool bands for them to watch after the game
Want alumni / high donors to go? - Lots of business / networking opportunities
Want WSU to make lots of athletic money - make the game the centerpiece with compounded media exposure.

It's a formula that WILL work and generate tons of cash. But hey instead you can do home and home for pennies in hostile weather, little national notoriety...

Cougatron,

You've obviously spent a lot of your free time theorizing on the "E-burg Apple Cup" and how it could play out eventually.

I gotta admit it seemed pretty far-fetched at first, but it seems like you've crunched the numbers to ascertain the project's viability.

A few questions:

1. Have you corresponded with the Dr. Schultz, Mr. Chun or anyone else in WSU's administration on this project? If so, what kind of feedback have you gotten?

2. This future site in the center of the state would host the Apple Cups when either WSU or UW is the home team as you explained. Would the WSU and UW administrations have to sign off, too, or would this be something the governor or legislature could make happen in the best interests of the people of Washington? From what I understand, UW badly overspent on the Husky Stadium remodel. Would their administrators petition against this project since they need to justify the cost of those overruns to their fan base by keeping games in Seattle?

So overall to make this dream happen it would cost roughly 750 million dollars to create something longstanding that would produce that much in economic activity EVERY single year ... Is it worth it? Hell yes it is worth it.

3. To be honest, $750M seems like a lot of money for a stadium that's going to be used for one football game a year (and perhaps a few music festivals a year). Will CWU play its home football and soccer games at the stadium as well?

4. Does the community of Ellensburg even want the Apple Cup? They might not like the inevitable twin onslaughts that would arrive from Spokane and Seattle.

Just seems like there are still a lot of unknowns at this point.

Last edited:
Cougatron,

Well, this is pretty much a known: this is never going to happen. The vast majority of WSU and UW fans won't buy into it. Neither will the administrations. The reason Erictile D brought this up is because he believes he's finally found Tron's weakness, and he's never going to let it go. Tron has handed Erictile's arse to him so many times, so the Little Dick Baird seeks revenge.

Cougatron,

You've obviously spent a lot of your free time theorizing on the "E-burg Apple Cup" and how it could play out eventually.

I gotta admit it seemed pretty far-fetched at first, but it seems like you've crunched the numbers to ascertain the project's viability.

A few questions:

1. Have you corresponded with the Dr. Schultz, Mr. Chun or anyone else in WSU's administration on this project? If so, what kind of feedback have you gotten?

2. This future site in the center of the state would host the Apple Cups when either WSU or UW is the home team as you explained. Would the WSU and UW administrations have to sign off, too, or would this be something the governor or legislature could make happen in the best interests of the people of Washington? From what I understand, UW badly overspent on the Husky Stadium remodel. Would their administrators petition against this project since they need to justify the cost of those overruns to their fan base by keeping games in Seattle?

3. To be honest, $750M seems like a lot of money for a stadium that's going to be used for one football game a year (and perhaps a few music festivals a year). Will CWU play its home football and soccer games at the stadium as well?

4. Does the community of Ellensburg even want the Apple Cup? They might not like the inevitable twin onslaughts that would arrive from Spokane and Seattle.

1 there would be a lot to flush out before I talk to them about it. I just have had this idea for awhile. Given that the university is still paying debt service it really isn’t the time to do this kind of project... yet.

2. This would require cooperation from the state government and both schools signing off. An arduous task, but state government officials would more than likely be on board because it would be a large money maker for the state. Creating economic growth is important and this would have long term positive ramifications. Now the idea would be that the park / stadium is owned equally by both universities with no middle man except appointed joint managers approved by both board of regents (like a president but basically their job would be to administer the park)

There would be dedicates staff that isn’t appointed but managers would be. So it would be WSU liaison Apple Park Director / UW liaison Apple Park Director.

There job would be approving vendors, alumni athletic support, broadcast cooperation etc. oversee staff etc. etc. it shouldn’t be managed by a third party because that puts the Universities at the mercy of a third party which is bad for negotiations.

Profit Revenue is split 50/50 between the schools quarterly. (So obviously the last quarter would be the massive distribution)

The schools would pay zero to do this as it is a state funded project for the Universities and state.

The Stadium wouldn’t just be for the Apple Cup. It could host football, soccer, state championships as well as other expos (like the state craft beer food and wine festival etc.

Essentially the venue would need to have 12 major events and then smaller ones on between.

For example:

January - Forrestry Expo

February - Travel & Transportation Tech Expo

March - Music Festival

April - Aerospace Expo

May - Video Game / Electronic Expo

June - Big Summer Concert Series

July - 4th Barbecue Expo and Fair

August - Green Energy Expo

September - Agribusiness Technology Expo

October - Apple Cup - Emerging High Tech / Music Festival

November - Food & Wine Festival

December - State football championships - Christmas lights competition expo

As you can see there would be something always going on year round bringing in people.

The medium income of Ellensburg is 31k.

The medium income of Spokane is 73k

The medium income of Seattle is 82k

Would they want it? Hell yeah they would. The economic activity would cause a major boom.

Restaurants, Bars, Hotels would sprout first. Then housing and adjacent real estate would boom, schools grocery stores and supporting business get better.

People who are struggling in Seattle and surrounding areas could seek their fortune in Ellensburg.

750 Million is a steal to make a central economic activity hub in the center of the state.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Some day there will be some Super Train connecting Spo & Sea.

Ideally NASCAR will snap back and they will build a track in the middle of the state.

When one or both happen, the propensity for crazy a$$ sh!t to happen in Ellensburg will sky rocket

Reactions: PeteTheChop
First, it’s median, not medium income.

Second your numbers for Spokane are too high. The HOUSEHOLD median income is $53k. For a household. Not individuals.

https://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/washington/spokane/

There’s not enough money to fund the pipedream. With certainty, that type of expenditure would meet with VIOLENT political opposition and never make it to any form of appropriation at the state level.

There is absolutely no correlation to reality and Paul Wulff’s record. That is a fallacy you attempt to use to prop up your fantasy world. I have never once defended his record.

Last edited:

OK, now you are asking for it. Don't lump me (or my pal Observer) in with any CPW apologists.

Every one of your talking points is ridiculous. Now you have this giant stadium hosting major events 12 months a year. Didn't know it was going to be a covered stadium. And I'm sure all those wetside state championship FB contenders can't wait to make the trek over Snoqualimie in December. Wait - isn't that the argument you make for moving the date of the Apple Cup? Bad weather? Ditto that for ALL of your winter expos/etc. Minor item.

Coachella GROSSES 114 million? so what? What the net?

Any revenue and economic activity projection aka fantasy needs to subtract the loss of such activity from Pullman and Seattle.

Forget any overnight stays. Fans from both sides would make it a one day trip.

Scheduling Idaho at year end would offset the Apple Cup economic impact? No rebuttal even needed for that one. Geezus.

uw and the state would go along with this. HAHAHAHAHAHA

I could go on and on. And on and on.

The ONLY semi-rational point is the notion of moving the Apple Cup itself back a few weeks. Hell we should refuse to play it in Pullman after Thanksgiving. That one week alone make a big difference.

Some day there will be some Super Train connecting Spo & Sea.

Ideally NASCAR will snap back and they will build a track in the middle of the state.

When one or both happen, the propensity for crazy a$$ sh!t to happen in Ellensburg will sky rocket

I forgot about all the rumors of Nascar building tracks in Grant County and Boardman, Oregon 15-20 years ago. Pipe dreams, just like the Eburg stadium ideas.

1 there would be a lot to flush out before I talk to them about it. I just have had this idea for awhile. Given that the university is still paying debt service it really isn’t the time to do this kind of project... yet.

2. This would require cooperation from the state government and both schools signing off. An arduous task, but state government officials would more than likely be on board because it would be a large money maker for the state. Creating economic growth is important and this would have long term positive ramifications. Now the idea would be that the park / stadium is owned equally by both universities with no middle man except appointed joint managers approved by both board of regents (like a president but basically their job would be to administer the park)

There would be dedicates staff that isn’t appointed but managers would be. So it would be WSU liaison Apple Park Director / UW liaison Apple Park Director.

There job would be approving vendors, alumni athletic support, broadcast cooperation etc. oversee staff etc. etc. it shouldn’t be managed by a third party because that puts the Universities at the mercy of a third party which is bad for negotiations.

Profit Revenue is split 50/50 between the schools quarterly. (So obviously the last quarter would be the massive distribution)

The schools would pay zero to do this as it is a state funded project for the Universities and state.

The Stadium wouldn’t just be for the Apple Cup. It could host football, soccer, state championships as well as other expos (like the state craft beer food and wine festival etc.

Essentially the venue would need to have 12 major events and then smaller ones on between.

For example:

January - Forrestry Expo

February - Travel & Transportation Tech Expo

March - Music Festival

April - Aerospace Expo

May - Video Game / Electronic Expo

June - Big Summer Concert Series

July - 4th Barbecue Expo and Fair

August - Green Energy Expo

September - Agribusiness Technology Expo

October - Apple Cup - Emerging High Tech / Music Festival

November - Food & Wine Festival

December - State football championships - Christmas lights competition expo

As you can see there would be something always going on year round bringing in people.

The medium income of Ellensburg is 31k.

The medium income of Spokane is 73k

The medium income of Seattle is 82k

Would they want it? Hell yeah they would. The economic activity would cause a major boom.

Restaurants, Bars, Hotels would sprout first. Then housing and adjacent real estate would boom, schools grocery stores and supporting business get better.

People who are struggling in Seattle and surrounding areas could seek their fortune in Ellensburg.

750 Million is a steal to make a central economic activity hub in the center of the state.

What was uw and WSU thinking when they collectively invested roughly $500M into their stadiums over the last 10 years?! Hell, for $50M they could have dug a big hole in Ellensburg and built bleachers down the side and slapped some field turf down and called it good. Both schools could play all their games there and why not throw in Central and EWU. Kind of a Joe Albi for the State. Double and triple headers every weekend.

Both schools could play all their games there and why not throw in Central and EWU. Kind of a Joe Albi for the State. Double and triple headers every weekend.

Interesting concept.

Not quite what you're proposing, but USC and UCLA shared the L.A. Coliseum for almost 50 years and it seemed to work well for both programs.

First, it’s median, not medium income.

Second your numbers for Spokane are too high. The HOUSEHOLD median income is $53k. For a household. Not individuals.

https://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/washington/spokane/

There’s not enough money to fund the pipedream. With certainty, that type of expenditure would meet with VIOLENT political opposition and never make it to any form of appropriation at the state level.

There is absolutely no correlation to reality and Paul Wulff’s record. That is a fallacy you attempt to use to prop up your fantasy world. I have never once defended his record.

corrective text when I typed.

$73,033

The ACS 1-year data shows the median family income for Spokane was $73,033

That's what it says when I googled it.

"There’s not enough money to fund the pipedream. With certainty, that type of expenditure would meet with VIOLENT political opposition and never make it to any form of appropriation at the state level."

I don't think so. Seattle just approved a 1.6 BILLION dollar convention center expansion.
https://seattle.curbed.com/2018/5/8/17331934/convention-center-city-council-vote

This project would cost less than HALF of that and would resonate tremendous revenue growth in central Washington. It would create thousands of jobs and have a long lasting economic benefit.

"There is absolutely no correlation to reality and Paul Wulff’s record"

Wulff lover still refuses to accept reality I see.

Well, this is pretty much a known: this is never going to happen. The vast majority of WSU and UW fans won't buy into it. Neither will the administrations. The reason Erictile D brought this up is because he believes he's finally found Tron's weakness, and he's never going to let it go. Tron has handed Erictile's arse to him so many times, so the Little Dick Baird seeks revenge.

Yo (Bill Barr Redacted) Valley, put down your CougEd embroidered (Bill Barr Redacted) and realize I view "other things" as weakness about Tron. Your theory as to why I brought it up had nothing to do about "weakness", but more of the fact I knew zip about Coachella and Stagecoach or the venue in which they played. I was literally a baseball throw from the facility over spring break and learned all about Coachella. I did not realize there was no facility in La Quinta when Tron had talked about this idea in the past.

While Tron's idea is out there, it has yet been explained to me how and why anyone would build a stadium for these events when the concert promotor at Coachella absorbs all those costs of providing the stages etc. (BTW sadly yesterday a stage worker fell to his death down there). If Tron wants to steal events away from the Gorge, I get that, but why would anyone build a 200 million dollar stadium for the Apple Cup.

Last edited:
OK, now you are asking for it. Don't lump me (or my pal Observer) in with any CPW apologists.

Every one of your talking points is ridiculous. Now you have this giant stadium hosting major events 12 months a year. Didn't know it was going to be a covered stadium. And I'm sure all those wetside state championship FB contenders can't wait to make the trek over Snoqualimie in December. Wait - isn't that the argument you make for moving the date of the Apple Cup? Bad weather? Ditto that for ALL of your winter expos/etc. Minor item.

Coachella GROSSES 114 million? so what? What the net?

Any revenue and economic activity projection aka fantasy needs to subtract the loss of such activity from Pullman and Seattle.

Forget any overnight stays. Fans from both sides would make it a one day trip.

Scheduling Idaho at year end would offset the Apple Cup economic impact? No rebuttal even needed for that one. Geezus.

uw and the state would go along with this. HAHAHAHAHAHA

I could go on and on. And on and on.

The ONLY semi-rational point is the notion of moving the Apple Cup itself back a few weeks. Hell we should refuse to play it in Pullman after Thanksgiving. That one week alone make a big difference.

There was a time when we embraced the inclement weather. We can't be that soft.

I'm a bit disappointed that ED put a fishing lure on the ol' hook and tossed it out there and that folks went after it like Piranhas.

In hindsight I should have written in the title for Tron's eyes only or IM'ed him. On the surface the idea looks silly, but I am sure other ideas like a car taking the place of the horse and buggy looked silly also. Like I said, being 100 yards of the entrance to Coachella this past week I learned about the event, how it was funded, the type of revenue it brought in and also they type of structures it used for the concerts. And I just don't see how even with the most optimistic glasses it makes financial sense.

This forum is such trash.

4 things:
  1. This thread, and this ridiculous topic, are indeed trash. And here I am contributing to them. The shame. :oops:
  2. You are welcome to start intelligent threads on interesting topics. I'll be sure to read and contribute.
  3. I do get frustrated when some of the incredibly interesting, relevant and timely threads that I start get little comment, while the idiotic ones (either out of the gate or turned idiotic) get a zillion views and replies.
  4. It is unfortunate that some threads that are interesting and thought-provoking get deleted for being off-topic while many others that start out "on-topic" devolve into the usual personal insults and name-calling.

On the surface the idea looks silly, but I am sure other ideas like a car taking the place of the horse and buggy looked silly also.

They say an NFL team will be in London, England within the next few years.

Maybe Tron's 60,000-seat football/soccer stadium with a cool $750M pricetag in lil' ol' Ellensburg isn't the longshot some CZ posters suggest?

Just make sure either of the U-Tote-Em burger joints aren't displaced.

Those places are great!

If I told people that some guy who drew cartoons was going to build a theme park on 160 acres of orange groves in the US and in 60 years it would make 2.2 billion dollars in PROFIT across multiple properties you’d think I was crazy too and that’s exactly what Disney did.

He took a large plot of land and developed it into an attraction and surprise! It makes lots of money!

Why? Because people like going to fun places.

You know what is not fun? Driving in blizzard conditions to sit in the rain and cold.

You know what is fun? Holding outdoor events in good weather... because that’s what you do if want people to go to your outdoor event. You make it accessible and pleasant to attend.

They say an NFL team will be in London, England within the next few years.

Maybe Tron's 60,000-seat football/soccer stadium with a cool $750M pricetag in lil' ol' Ellensburg isn't the longshot some CZ posters suggest?

Just make sure either of the U-Tote-Em burger joints aren't displaced.

Those places are great!

London has a population more than the entire state of Washington and disposable income that would make NYC blush.

Pipe dream. Not feasible especially after the state just paid for two new stadiums for WSU and UW.

Bond issuers giggle at this type of absurdity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT