ADVERTISEMENT

Apple Cup and Ellensburg

London has a population more than the entire state of Washington and disposable income that would make NYC blush.

Pipe dream. Not feasible especially after the state just paid for two new stadiums for WSU and UW.

Bond issuers giggle at this type of absurdity.
Yet, Jim Walden is quietly buying up land around Ellensburg.

Reactions: dgibbons
Not feasible especially after the state just paid for two new stadiums for WSU and UW.

"According to thecougarfootballproject.org, the ($125 million) renovation at Martin Stadium is funded entirely through premium seating donations, which will nearly double ticket revenue, and the lucrative new Pac-12 television contract set to begin in August."— SportsPressNW, July 5, 2012

So at least from WSU's side of things, the state money apparently would still be available for Tron's project in Ellensburg.

"According to thecougarfootballproject.org, the ($125 million) renovation at Martin Stadium is funded entirely through premium seating donations, which will nearly double ticket revenue, and the lucrative new Pac-12 television contract set to begin in August."— SportsPressNW, July 5, 2012

So at least from WSU's side of things, the state money apparently would still be available for Tron's project in Ellensburg.

Sure

Now about that pesky $100 million deficit.

The cougarfootballproject.org. From 2012?

Do better, Pete. Seriously.

Frankly I like the location of Moses Lake better. It's more centrally located and it has a better variety of newer franchise hotels.

Ellensburg belongs to Central. Moses Lake, belongs to no one, except the aerospace industry.

Last edited:
I’m sure Wulff-Walden Realty is poised to make a killing on this deal.
Wulff not involved.

Walden's overseas investors loved the gumbo story and were impressed by Wulff increasing training table attendence but kept asking "Why did Wulff play Jeff Tuel in the Idaho State game?"

Wulff not involved.

Walden's overseas investors loved the gumbo story and were impressed by Wulff increasing training table attendence but kept asking "Why did Wulff play Jeff Tuel in the Idaho State game?"

Clearly you do not recall Tuel, clavicle first, taking on that linebacker. Oh, wait. The video demonstrates that didn't happen the way mentally impaired Dickenson li'l bro drunkenly insisted.

Clearly you do not recall Tuel, clavicle first, taking on that linebacker. Oh, wait. The video demonstrates that didn't happen the way mentally impaired Dickenson li'l bro drunkenly insisted.

Lordy (Bill Barr Redacted)....(Bill Barr Redacted) you never understood the discussion. It was about Tuel not getting out of bounds and not taking on any contact. What burr got in your saddle btw.

Last edited:
Wulff not involved.

Leach would have played him as well cause he clearly knows PSU is capable of beating him, even with a Wulff reject as the DC

Leach would have played him as well cause he clearly knows PSU is capable of beating him, even with a Wulff reject as the DC
Paul Wulff in a Tuesday press conference said he did nothing wrong and did not take responsibility for the worst four-year record in Pac-12 or Washington State University history.
Wazzu lost its innocence in firing him, Wulff told reporters in a press conference. It was held an hour after Athletic Director Bill Moos officially announced he was cancelling Wulff’s contract as head football coach a year early.

Wulff told reporters he felt he was in an unwinnable situation with a series of player injuries. Without those injuries, he said the team could have had six or seven wins, in contrast to the four he earned after losing the Apple Cup on Saturday.
Wulff said he had no regrets and would have done nothing differently.

Paul Wulff in a Tuesday press conference said he did nothing wrong and did not take responsibility for the worst four-year record in Pac-12 or Washington State University history.
Wazzu lost its innocence in firing him, Wulff told reporters in a press conference. It was held an hour after Athletic Director Bill Moos officially announced he was cancelling Wulff’s contract as head football coach a year early.

Wulff told reporters he felt he was in an unwinnable situation with a series of player injuries. Without those injuries, he said the team could have had six or seven wins, in contrast to the four he earned after losing the Apple Cup on Saturday.
Wulff said he had no regrets and would have done nothing differently.

You have a point? I thought he was fired. I simply said the criticism for playing Tuel is not founded, even if I wish he did not play. Leach would have played him too. To Leach and coaches in general they don't view games as give me's.

Lordy Gordy....Klearly you never understood the discussion. It was about Tuel not getting out of bounds and not taking on any contact. What burr got in your saddle btw.

Tuel did get out of bounds, dumbsh!t. He did so to avoid the contact with the tackler. He then landed on the shoulder, Clifton. Your mommy's bad genes aside, stop being stupid.

Tuel did get out of bounds, dumbsh!t. He did so to avoid the contact with the tackler. He then landed on the shoulder, Clifton. Your mommy's bad genes aside, stop being stupid.
My aren’t you getting quite personal . Hmmmm ... maybe I should get you signed up for the local high school online auction and get you to bid on the Kenai Riverbend resort, maybe a fishing trip will get you in a better mood.

It isn’t that complicated . You get out of bounds so you don’t get touched . If he goes out of bounds two yards earlier he isn’t touched or injured .

There was no reason to be in harms way .

This forum is not trash. This particular thread is, well, maybe not trash but certainly bizarre. It started with Ed revitalizingTron's interesting but dubious, albeit interesting, pipe dream and has now veered into Tuel's flu impaired clavicle. That particular thread was beyond reasonable doubt the weirdest and worst thread I have viewed on this site.

I will now skip the Tuel portion of the discussion and make a few ill-informed comments about the erection of Tron's idea. Not a bad idea to place the game where it would be easier for fans to access. That is a positive but perhaps the only one that can be proven. I seriously question whether the return on investment would be positive. Easier to get to, yes, but easier to return the same day. I'm not spending the night in a motel in Ellensburg when I am within a couple of hours of my own home. The impact on Ellensburg's economy would be less by about half of what one sees in Pullman. And it is not a win-win proposal for the state as a whole. Any monies directed towards Kittitas County would come from Pullman and Seattle's slice of the pie. Neither would like that. One or more of you with a financial background can feel free to correct me on that if I am wrong.

This brings me to what I see as the 800 lb. gorilla in the scheme's room. Politics. Ain't gonna happen, guys. A mid-state venue, either in Ellensburg or, as MI has suggested, Moses Lake, cannot be built without state funding. If you see that as possible then I have a good deal on the I-90 floating bridge for you. This is a blue (Democratic) state as a whole and the Democrats- primarily looking at Seattle- view the unfortunate denizens east of the Cascades as a lot of ignorant hicks who most likely vote Republican anyway so who gives a damn about them. They don't give a rat's ass about the eastern portion of Washington. If you doubt my opinion then review the UW's contribution towards rural medicine. Two percent of their annual budget. Whoopee. Eastern Washingtonians should accept what they get via Olympia and be grateful. And it is not going to go toward any multi-million dollar sports arena.

Myself, I like the idea of moving the Apple Cup up a few weeks and saving the last game of the year for confronting Idaho or EWU. Forgot who first suggested this but I like it. No massive expenditure, no hoping that the investment is worth the cost, no state funding required and would be acceptable- probably even favored- by the UW. A simple solution to the problem.

London has a population more than the entire state of Washington and disposable income that would make NYC blush.

Pipe dream. Not feasible especially after the state just paid for two new stadiums for WSU and UW.

Bond issuers giggle at this type of absurdity.

Not to mention the fact that England as a nation is roughly the same size area wise as the state of Washington, and has nearly 8x the population.

But it is always fun to imagine this state having 55 million residents as opposed to 7 million or so.

This forum is not trash. This particular thread is, well, maybe not trash but certainly bizarre. It started with Ed revitalizingTron's interesting but dubious, albeit interesting, pipe dream and has now veered into Tuel's flu impaired clavicle. That particular thread was beyond reasonable doubt the weirdest and worst thread I have viewed on this site.

I will now skip the Tuel portion of the discussion and make a few ill-informed comments about the erection of Tron's idea. Not a bad idea to place the game where it would be easier for fans to access. That is a positive but perhaps the only one that can be proven. I seriously question whether the return on investment would be positive. Easier to get to, yes, but easier to return the same day. I'm not spending the night in a motel in Ellensburg when I am within a couple of hours of my own home. The impact on Ellensburg's economy would be less by about half of what one sees in Pullman. And it is not a win-win proposal for the state as a whole. Any monies directed towards Kittitas County would come from Pullman and Seattle's slice of the pie. Neither would like that. One or more of you with a financial background can feel free to correct me on that if I am wrong.

This brings me to what I see as the 800 lb. gorilla in the scheme's room. Politics. Ain't gonna happen, guys. A mid-state venue, either in Ellensburg or, as MI has suggested, Moses Lake, cannot be built without state funding. If you see that as possible then I have a good deal on the I-90 floating bridge for you. This is a blue (Democratic) state as a whole and the Democrats- primarily looking at Seattle- view the unfortunate denizens east of the Cascades as a lot of ignorant hicks who most likely vote Republican anyway so who gives a damn about them. They don't give a rat's ass about the eastern portion of Washington. If you doubt my opinion then review the UW's contribution towards rural medicine. Two percent of their annual budget. Whoopee. Eastern Washingtonians should accept what they get via Olympia and be grateful. And it is not going to go toward any multi-million dollar sports arena.

Myself, I like the idea of moving the Apple Cup up a few weeks and saving the last game of the year for confronting Idaho or EWU. Forgot who first suggested this but I like it. No massive expenditure, no hoping that the investment is worth the cost, no state funding required and would be acceptable- probably even favored- by the UW. A simple solution to the problem.

Great points and the true crux of the matter. It really doesn't matter if it's a good idea or not......it's DOA. My only real criticism of the Ellensburg idea is that it it's a slap in the face of students. We know that college football is a joke and isn't really an amateur sport that is geared in any way towards education, but putting a stadium in Ellensburg is too strong of a step away from pretending to care.

On the Apple Cup commentary.......Agree 100% that WSU needs to work with UW and the conference to at least move it up a week when the game is in Pullman. The Friday before Thanksgiving is not necessarily ideal, but it would make ten times more sense than the Friday after Thanksgiving. It makes a lot of sense for WSU to play its last game of the season on the road each year. If you look at the scheduling of the ND/USC/Stanford rivalry.......you'll see that ND plays USC/Stanford at home in the middle of the season and then plays the other team in California to finish the season. Nobody really wants to play in South Bend in late November.

Great points and the true crux of the matter. It really doesn't matter if it's a good idea or not......it's DOA. My only real criticism of the Ellensburg idea is that it it's a slap in the face of students. We know that college football is a joke and isn't really an amateur sport that is geared in any way towards education, but putting a stadium in Ellensburg is too strong of a step away from pretending to care.

On the Apple Cup commentary.......Agree 100% that WSU needs to work with UW and the conference to at least move it up a week when the game is in Pullman. The Friday before Thanksgiving is not necessarily ideal, but it would make ten times more sense than the Friday after Thanksgiving. It makes a lot of sense for WSU to play its last game of the season on the road each year. If you look at the scheduling of the ND/USC/Stanford rivalry.......you'll see that ND plays USC/Stanford at home in the middle of the season and then plays the other team in California to finish the season. Nobody really wants to play in South Bend in late November.

Giving up a near guaranteed sell out to round out our home schedule in favor of another opponent would be incredibly stupid, in my opinion. You'll never get the conference to agree to give us an away game in the final week every year.

Giving up a near guaranteed sell out to round out our home schedule in favor of another opponent would be incredibly stupid, in my opinion. You'll never get the conference to agree to give us an away game in the final week every year.

After thinking about your comment, we are really only asking them to do it every other year.....and it's a matter of shuffling schedules.......not really giving up anything? Also, if you look at attendance after the first weekend in the month of November that isn't the Apple Cup....it ain't pretty.

This is precisely my point.

I guess that I'm missing your point?

My intent was to say that WSU should request to get the Apple Cup moved up to earlier in the season when it's hosted in Pullman, much like USC/Stanford/ND do with their schedules. I'm not saying that USC and Stanford should always host their games against ND because the weather in South Bend sucks. I'm saying that instead of WSU playing at ASU in the middle of October when it's 95 degrees.......let's move the Apple Cup to that weekend and play in Tempe in late November.

All BS aside, playing on "rivalry weekend" doesn't do us one bit of a good when they put the game on Friday afternoon. College Gameday might mention what happened with the game but in general, the Apple Cup is yesterday's news as far as coverage is concerned. We do have a pretty favorable TV spot, but it sucks for everyone in Pullman to have that game when it is.

I guess that I'm missing your point?

My intent was to say that WSU should request to get the Apple Cup moved up to earlier in the season when it's hosted in Pullman, much like USC/Stanford/ND do with their schedules. I'm not saying that USC and Stanford should always host their games against ND because the weather in South Bend sucks. I'm saying that instead of WSU playing at ASU in the middle of October when it's 95 degrees.......let's move the Apple Cup to that weekend and play in Tempe in late November.

All BS aside, playing on "rivalry weekend" doesn't do us one bit of a good when they put the game on Friday afternoon. College Gameday might mention what happened with the game but in general, the Apple Cup is yesterday's news as far as coverage is concerned. We do have a pretty favorable TV spot, but it sucks for everyone in Pullman to have that game when it is.

I'm missing 96's point too. We are not giving up anything. Apple Cup will always be a sellout (technically anyway) regardless of when we play it. And we have played our last game on the road before - remember UCLA in 2002? Before the Conference championship game came to pass.

And I can almost guarantee that the ASU's or UCLA's would be happy to play us at home late in the year (their own rivalry games notwithstanding) because the Cougs travel well and would travel even better to Tempe in late November than in September.

Back to Apple Cup. The Friday after Thanksgiving (esp. when it is Pullman) is BS. Scheduling it after dark is BS. This is all about Larry Scott and his TV deal, which sucks anyway. 1PM-ish kickoff on Saturday, whether before or after Thanksgiving.

No it doesn't screw over the students. The students actually get an annual event to go to that gets them out of Pullman in October which is nice. It gives them an experience that only a few places in the country get to have with the off site split stadium.

I do not think the Georgia / Florida students are the least bit upset about the largest outdoor cocktail party.

Athens to Jacksonville is 5 hour drive
Gainesville to Jacksonville is a 1 hour 25 minute drive

Pullman to Ellensburg is a 3 hr drive
Montlake to Ellensburg is a 2 hr drive

So it actually is closer for the students in Pullman to get to Ellensburg than it is for students in Athens to get to Jacksonville.

They could leave at 9am and be in Ellensburg at noon. Or they could leave at noon and get there at 3 PM. They could leave Sunday at 2 pm and be back in Pullman by 5pm.

The reality is it is an excellent idea to raise the profile of the game, make it more accessible, generate massive revenue, and create an experience that will create a long lasting impact.

And yes the state would fund it. Because it helps the state. Having Ellensburg grow as a hub that is centrally located in the state would do a tremendous amount to help the state spread out its development. Right now it's basically all seattle. That's stupid, and honestly Seattle is way too crowded, it is deteriorating with lots of homelessness.

Creating an economic center in the heart of the state is good for the ENTIRE state. It connects the eastside to the westside it allows for economic growth to radiate out instead of just being centered on the coast, it's a win win for everybody. It's a non partisan issue.

Moving the Apple Cup earlier in November means the Apple Cup is now on Dad's Weekend. So instead of 2 guaranteed sell outs every other year you get one. Great way to make money!

Not one to link to the Daily Beast, typically, but I think there's a significant difference between the driving-distance population in/around Coachella Valley and E-burg, respectively, in terms of trust-fund babies, douchebags, and full-time instagram models. https://www.thedailybeast.com/coach...st-fund-babies-should-be-avoided-at-all-costs

I would guess that to be true . Right across the venue is the Hideaway golf course in which the average price of homes is probably 3.5 million . Down the street is the Madison and they are upscale. An Edmonds resident is trying to unload his 11 million dollar house in the Madison. Some wealthy people within golf cart range of the venue .

Moving the Apple Cup earlier in November means the Apple Cup is now on Dad's Weekend. So instead of 2 guaranteed sell outs every other year you get one. Great way to make money!

96, why do you post such stup.....oh no, I won't start insulting posters' intelligence.

96, Dad's weekend is scheduled in November precisely so that we can get some attendance at one of the getting-cold late season games. It does not fall on a specific weekend. If Apple Cup were moved, we would make sure that another late season game was designated as Dad's weekend. We typically play more than one home game in November.

That said, I vow to ignore this stupid thread starting after this post.

In REALITY, the only reasonable thing that WSU can and should do, as I posted earlier, is to demand that A) Apple Cup be played on Saturday, with a game time of 12-1PM, and B) if it can be scheduled for the Saturday before Thanksgiving (probably meaning a final away game), even better.

The Pac 12 has never given us scheduling considerations before, they aren't going to start now. But keep dreaming I guess.

Reactions: CougEd
I suspect the economic benefits are quite optimistic. If there was any reason for Ellensburg to be some sort of hub and/or economic bridge from east to west...it would be. A new stadium isn't going to make the difference. Even if somehow the pieces fell into place and all the expos and conventions that were mentioned earlier did agree to come to Ellensburg, there's the same problem Pullman has - not enough hotels to support it, and new ones aren't going to get built to support a dozen events per year.

Deep down, I don't personally want them to move Apple Cup up on the schedule, unless it's moving it back to the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Just doesn't feel like AC if it's October. But, I can see the sense in it. And I really DO believe that the conference would give us a season-ending road game at the end of every other year. In fact, I'd bet there'd be support for giving us one every year. Why? Because all of the other teams hate coming to Pullman in November. It's cold, especially if it's a night game. Usually means a bus ride, probably the worst hotels they stay in all season, and generally more trouble than it's worth. If the rest of the conference could get a guarantee that they'd never have to come to Pullman during the last two weeks of November, I think they'd jump at it.

But, the downside is that we lose attendance no matter how we slice it. Consider this:
AC moves into late October/early November. It's now typically within 2 weeks of Homecoming on one side and 2 weeks of Dad's weekend on the other. AC probably remains a true sellout, but in most years we'll lose from Homecoming/Dad's Weekend at least as much as we gain at AC.
Additionally...we already struggle to pull crowds at games in November, especially when they're back-to-back, or when they're on Saturday before Thanksgiving. We drew an announced 22,400 for the Arizona game last season (which was a very generous number), and 25,121 for Colorado in 2015 (the last time we played Saturday in a road AC year...and also a generous number). This was with teams that were 9-1 and 7-3. If we were playing an FCS team that weekend - even Idaho - we'd be looking at 15K. Or less. And who wants to have Senior Day in a half-empty stadium?
So, we gain a couple thousand (at most) butts in the seats for AC. We likely lose some from Homecoming and Dad's weekend, and we lose 7-10,000 for playing Idaho in November. And then what if AC is Homecoming or Dad's Weekend? Now we lose even more.

Not one to link to the Daily Beast, typically, but I think there's a significant difference between the driving-distance population in/around Coachella Valley and E-burg, respectively, in terms of trust-fund babies, douchebags, and full-time instagram models. https://www.thedailybeast.com/coach...st-fund-babies-should-be-avoided-at-all-costs

LA is #2 in GDP per capita
Seattle is #11

You underestimate the trustfund babies, douchebags, and full time instagram models of the PNW

Austin is #24 on the list and hosts SXSW.

Interesting concept.

Not quite what you're proposing, but USC and UCLA shared the L.A. Coliseum for almost 50 years and it seemed to work well for both programs.
No it didn’t and UCLA would kill to have a stadium on campus.

My aren’t you getting quite personal . Hmmmm ... maybe I should get you signed up for the local high school online auction and get you to bid on the Kenai Riverbend resort, maybe a fishing trip will get you in a better mood.

It isn’t that complicated . You get out of bounds so you don’t get touched . If he goes out of bounds two yards earlier he isn’t touched or injured .

There was no reason to be in harms way .

Every time a quarterback steps onto the field, he's in harm's way, dumbass. Tuel didn't take on the linebacker, as your moronic markie boy maintained for weeks until I put up the video showing otherwise. Apparently your TBI has blocked this reality for you.

Every time a quarterback steps onto the field, he's in harm's way, dumbass. Tuel didn't take on the linebacker, as your moronic markie boy maintained for weeks until I put up the video showing otherwise. Apparently your TBI has blocked this reality for you.

Yo (Bill Barr Redacted)... yeah I agree that when qbs step on the field they are in harms way, so you really don’t have issue with Wulff playing Tuel and putting him in harms way.

But there is a reason they are taught to run out of bounds. The whole reason to get out of bounds is not taking any potential hits, even if hits are accidental . So are you saying if Tuel got out of harms way two yards earlier he would have been injured in that situation ?

Yeah the onset of tbi occurred when I got rear ended in my GMC(Bill Barr Redacted) .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT