ADVERTISEMENT

***Apple Cup - GAME THREAD***

The question for WSU is how can we develop a quality defense? Is the poor tackling due to poor technique or athletic ability? Both? It is the singular most important area to clean up. I think Leach will have the offense ready to go (today notwithstanding), but the D performance the past 2 weeks is telling the truth who we are. Slow, poor tackling, and rarely in position to capitalize on mistakes.

alright, so houston (20) lost earlier, iowa's taking it to nebraska (16), air force is leading boise state (19) at halftime, toledo and western michigan (21) are tied in the first... seriously guys, i can see us making a significant move in the rankings this week. wait, what?

The question for WSU is how can we develop a quality defense? Is the poor tackling due to poor technique or athletic ability? Both? It is the singular most important area to clean up. I think Leach will have the offense ready to go (today notwithstanding), but the D performance the past 2 weeks is telling the truth who we are. Slow, poor tackling, and rarely in position to capitalize on mistakes.
I've said this before and I'll say it again--I'd gladly switch from a potent offense to a bad-ass defense any day. A stifling defense can win a game sans offense, just like we're seeing our 'potent' offense get clownstomped by a real defense. At least we'd be in the game with a real D.

Well I missed the first half and I expected to see a closer score. I checked ESPN's play by play to see what happened and noticed things like 2 turnovers to UW's 0 and other stuff like a kickoff return to the WSU 9 yard line followed by a false start penalty. I decided I didn't want to check other stats but see from the comments on this board that other negative things happened as well.
Right now....I need to see the Cougs give an effort in the 2nd half and not tank it. You want to get something going for the upcoming bowl game.
Come on guys....dig in for 30 more minutes.

We're not there yet. We're not a better than decent team. Disregard the apocalyptic start and the terrible defense. The clutch plays against good opposition just aren't there. Gabe Marks is the only one that showed up to play.

Better effort so far in the 2nd half but a couple of things.
Cougs need another WR to help out Marks. He won't be left open in the 4th quarter
Yes...it was another huge stop by UW on the d-line but on first and goal two guys overran the block on Gains DT of UW. Why did they run by instead of planting their feet. A standoff instead of a run by might have resulted in something.
UW moving the ball now after a big 4th down stop.

I give up. It's my wife's birthday, and this is going to ruin my mood on a day when I have no business being cranky. Stick with that 3 man rush on Browning Grinch, it's a great way to boost UW's poll number.

by the way, i'm not disagreeing w/ you. the playcalling on the goal line has sucked. i'm just poking fun (perhaps undeservedly) at the people who said the inside run would be a weapon for us.

I thought the run up the middle would generally be the better option given their speed and what I've seen in other UW games. Obviously not so much in the goal line scenario.

I give up. It's my wife's birthday, and this is going to ruin my mood on a day when I have no business being cranky. Stick with that 3 man rush on Browning Grinch, it's a great way to boost UW's poll number.

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Random Soul. Wish we could've given her a Cougar victory as a memorable birthday gift.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: moondawgie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT