ADVERTISEMENT

Are ISU fans...

Coug90

Hall Of Fame
Jan 17, 2012
seriously Bitching about the refs...seriously?? Let’s be real. There should have been 3 players ejected in the first half, not 2. The “chop block” was a horse shit call that killed a WSU scoring drive. And WTF was that catch, drop, fumble, no that was a catch in bounds BS. C’mon man! Quit jumping snaps and quit leading with the helmet. Better team won. Period.

They had 3 legit false starts(seven total), and one that wasn't called on their first td drive.

At least one targeting was 100% legit. The other one I could have gone either way on. The one that didn't get called was egregious.

They had two drives that were buoyed by Cougar penalties, one of them a complete horseshit chop block and the other a complete horseshit PI.

In the box score, they got penalized more, but I don't know what else to say. They got away with a ton of holds all night, so I guess they should be glad it wasn't more????

Last edited:
Both teams got away with holding, them moreso. Really the only call that to me was BS that went against ISU was that supposed non-catch on 3rd down. But that comes down to the call on the field and the idiotic way a catch is defined these days.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Both teams got away with holding, them moreso. Really the only call that to me was BS that went against ISU was that supposed non-catch on 3rd down. But that comes down to the call on the field and the idiotic way a catch is defined these days.

I disagree on that call. He was actually juggling the ball all the way going down to the ground and never maintained possession. The refs saw the same on the replay, and that's why they made the call so quickly after viewing that 1st replay angle.

Reactions: bogusto
I disagree on that call. He was actually juggling the ball all the way going down to the ground and never maintained possession. The refs saw the same on the replay, and that's why they made the call so quickly after viewing that 1st replay angle.
Exactly. Juggled ball, never established full possession, bounced loose on the ground: textbook example of "not a catch".

Exactly. Juggled ball, never established full possession, bounced loose on the ground: textbook example of "not a catch".
I agree and disagree. He did juggle the ball. He did get possession on his last half step, but he also didn't finish the catch when he hit the ground. Twenty years ago, it was a catch, Today, it isn't. The referee's on the field and in the booth made the correct call.

seriously Bitching about the refs...seriously?? Let’s be real. There should have been 3 players ejected in the first half, not 2. The “chop block” was a horse shit call that killed a WSU scoring drive. And WTF was that catch, drop, fumble, no that was a catch in bounds BS. C’mon man! Quit jumping snaps and quit leading with the helmet. Better team won. Period.

Washington St should have had at least two defenders ejected for targeting but a different set of rules were applied to the Cougars. For example, officials did not call obvious false start on WSU on their second TD.

Requires a lot of help from the officials to win a game where you are out-gained in total yards by that much

Washington St should have had at least two defenders ejected for targeting but a different set of rules were applied to the Cougars. For example, officials did not call obvious false start on WSU on their second TD.

Requires a lot of help from the officials to win a game where you are out-gained in total yards by that much

No clown, you lost because you turned the ball over 3 times...

Reactions: TSKCoug
  • No, it requires 3 turnovers by your offense to win a game where we are out-gained by that much
  • Can ISU provide video of alleged WSU targeting? I saw some hits which, upon replay, show WSU hitting shoulder to shoulder, and ISU fans were demanding targeting. But reply clearly showed it wasn't.

Maybe if you could get your QB to throw to his own players, or your RB to hold on to the football, or your defense to learn to tackle without the top of their head, but yeah go ahead and cry about the officiating.

Oh yeah...and maybe if your coach could keep his cool and not respond like a 4-year old throwing a tantrum when a little adversity arises—I mean, what an example to set to your players right?

Last edited:

Offensive yards are hard to come by when the other team (ISU) throws a pick 6 that comes back to the 20... another short field pick... and fumbles at their own 25

Last edited:

Good morning loser.

Maybe shouldn’t have had Bobby Boucher teach tackling. That’s on you.

And your coach should be ashamed of his potty
mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonDisciple

sour grapes, we took the football away. I think if the refs were trying to help the Cougs that ridiculous taunting call on strong wouldn’t have been flagged.

If you really want to see some bad refs come try the pac 12 out.

Strong’s brain dead play was textbook Couging it. The call was correct. The offense bailed him out.

Last edited:
Strong’s brain dead play was textbook Couging it. Offense bailed him out.
There’s about a gazillion random people on Twitter with no dog in that fight that disagree with you.

Good on you for correctly using that phrase though considering we scored on that drive anyways and won the game!

Strong’s brain dead play was textbook Couging it. The call was correct. The offense bailed him out.

The offense may have bailed out Strong after his act of profound stupidity, but the true MVP for the Cougs was the ISU offensive line. SEVEN FALSE STARTS...one of which was on a two point conversion attempt. Glad the Cougs took advantage of their obvious weakness.

There’s about a gazillion random people on Twitter with no dog in that fight that disagree with you.

Good on you for correctly using that phrase though considering we scored on that drive anyways and won the game!

My Cougar brother-in-law and I knew immediately that there would be a flag and what it would be for. Time for football players to understand they haven’t cured cancer or anything. Get your ass into the end zone, hand the ball to the ref, and go celebrate with your teammates. Repeat as needed.

Head here if you want to peek at what their fan base is like. They have a 4 page thread on the targeting rule, a 10 page thread on the refs last night and one on it's second page complaining about how you guys got home team benefits from the Alamo Bowl.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/forums/football.9/
Home team benefits? Their fans outnumbered ours 3:1. Why would we get any home cooking?

If anything their fans are just pissed they didn’t have a huge advantage because they were the “home” team. Mob mentality at its worst. Sad, I wanted to like the ISU faithful as they are in a similar underdog role that we often play.

Home team benefits? Their fans outnumbered ours 3:1. Why would we get any home cooking?

If anything their fans are just pissed they didn’t have a huge advantage because they were the “home” team. Mob mentality at its worst. Sad, I wanted to like the ISU faithful as they are in a similar underdog role that we often play.

It seems they have a victim mentality so maybe not that different from WSU fans?

It seems they have a victim mentality so maybe not that different from WSU fans?

As an East coast transplant, I laugh out loud when anyone from Seattle talks about victim mentality.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Last edited:

Well I would bet we would bitch if our opponents o lineman flinched and should have been a five yard procedure penalty and our opponent scored on the play that the flag wasn’t called.

Well I would bet we would bitch if our opponents o lineman flinched and should have been a five yard procedure penalty and our opponent scored on the play that the flag wasn’t called.

I’d bitch about all the no calls on Iowa Sate’s holds too.

Iowa fan here. This is what ISU fans do. There has never been a game in football or men's basketball that ISU has lost and the refs weren't to blame.

Nice game last night, really like your QB.
Go away Iowa fan, the biggest fanbase of tools in college sports. Most of you retards aren't even alumni and have nothing to do with the university.

Reactions: Cougzz

On the false start comment, one of my WSU friends told me via text that we did get away with a false start on the TD.....however, most of the calls in the night were pretty even. The Cyclone players were lucky to have not been called for targeting a couple more times themselves so even if we might have had 1 or 2 that didn't get called.......it wasn't like they called every penalty against you. From a WSU perspective, I'd say that your team got away with holding a fair amount as well.

All bitching about referees aside, your team had a great game and would have won if not for self made mistakes. Don't miss a field goal and don't try to force that extra yard against an opportunistic defense and your team probably wins. You can be proud of the fact that your team had an 11 win team on the ropes and that we needed some breaks to get the W. We've been on the other side of the equation plenty of times so you aren't going to get much sympathy from us. You've got a good coach so enjoy your team's success while you can. As a Coug fan, we know what you're going through and bitching on another team's board isn't ever going to make you happy.

Coog fans:

Apologize for TCool on your board. To put this in perspective, think ISU = WSU and Iowa = UW. No schools in the PAC 12/Big 12 (and maybe in the nation) are more similar than the two schools in the Alamo Bowl. Then put TCool's condescending comments into that perspective. That comparison is all you need to know, as I am sure you have heard many UDubbers with similar outlook......no matter what happens, they walk on water and you guys are crap. Sound familiar? I gotta say, the refs did seem off from our perspective, but if the exact calls went the other way, I don't think your reactions would be much different. Our guys made mistakes that you took advantage of, like good teams do and you deserved to win. Big picture, congrats to the Coogs on the win and an amazing season. Without the snow storm/weather, I believe you beat UW and then would be recognized as the best team in the PAC12. Sorry again for the instate rivalry spilling over here. I hope you all take it to the Huskies at every opportunity.

Coogs are for Houston. Congratulations on being Alamo Bowl runner up.

Reactions: TCOOL
Well, I gave it a shot at being decent. Sorry about the O instead of a U. Congrats on the awesome season of mustache. What a year! As I said before, good luck next year.

Go whine somewhere else Ciclone.

I gotta say, the refs did seem off from our perspective, but if the exact calls went the other way, I don't think your reactions would be much different.
All due respect, you're trying to look magnanimous but you're also suggesting you got screwed by the refs by suggesting we would feel the same way if the roles were reversed. I don't think you got screwed at all.

I'm happy to stand corrected if evidence is provided, but I'm reading about missed targeting on WSU which replays seemed to indicate were actually shoulder to shoulder. And I'm reading nothing about missed ISU false starts on scoring drives. I'm reading nothing about the 3rd missed targeting. I'm reading nothing about the bogus chop block call which killed a likely WSU score. Whether right call or not, I'm reading nothing about the called-back Pick 6 where we got 7 points off of 2 TDs. I'm reading nothing about grabby ISU OL and DBs.

I think the refs were all over the place and not good. But to complain about them calling it by the book on targeting and a possibly missed catch - as if you were the only team being officiated last night - is totally disingenuous and self-serving. Fact is, you probably would have won if you hadn't turned it over 3 times. And if the refs really were calling it all crimson, we would have won going away.

My Cougar brother-in-law and I knew immediately that there would be a flag and what it would be for. Time for football players to understand they haven’t cured cancer or anything. Get your ass into the end zone, hand the ball to the ref, and go celebrate with your teammates. Repeat as needed.
It still resulted in a TD.

I stayed at a hotel that was home base for one of the big ISU packaged tours. Great bunch of fans; I'd rather talk to them than the typical Duck fans these days. Had a long coffee conversation this morning with several. I think everybody on our side knew they had a true frosh QB, but I'm not sure how many realized that their center is also a true frosh. Might help explain why he had 2 false starts (a center should NEVER have a false start). The O line was 1 FR, 2 SO and 2 JR. The suspicion by the fans was that they were simply nervous and unfocused, since false starts have not been a big problem for them this year. The time off apparently didn't work in their favor. I also learned that the O line coach was a GA until last year. He is a former O lineman, but not a particularly experienced coach. I was impressed with their tall receiver; they figure he is going away this year along with their RB, but otherwise their offense should be better next year. As for their D vs. our O, I pointed out that Minshew didn't seem to get so sloppy with his passing until after the second head hit, and that wasn't disputed. We all agreed that the second targeting call was justified, though probably accidental. The B12 has not been after targeting as agressively as the PAC for lo these many years, and they appear to be behind us in adjusting to that rule.

Our showboating on the interception was painfully obvious and an obvious call. You never see offensive players do that; they seem to be up to speed on the rule. But a D back? I suspect he never gave any thought to scoring a TD with enough cushion to be able to do something like that, and it just came out when Strong realized that he was home free. Dumb mistake in a game that had many of them on both sides (fortunately for us, they made more dumb mistakes than we did).

And I wasn't aware of the rule change that made a fair catch on the kickoff an automatic 1st down on the 25, so I learned something.

I kind of hope that we both win our league next year and get a rematch at some point.

Reactions: Coug1990
I stayed at a hotel that was home base for one of the big ISU packaged tours. Great bunch of fans; I'd rather talk to them than the typical Duck fans these days. Had a long coffee conversation this morning with several. I think everybody on our side knew they had a true frosh QB, but I'm not sure how many realized that their center is also a true frosh. Might help explain why he had 2 false starts (a center should NEVER have a false start). The O line was 1 FR, 2 SO and 2 JR. The suspicion by the fans was that they were simply nervous and unfocused, since false starts have not been a big problem for them this year. The time off apparently didn't work in their favor. I also learned that the O line coach was a GA until last year. He is a former O lineman, but not a particularly experienced coach. I was impressed with their tall receiver; they figure he is going away this year along with their RB, but otherwise their offense should be better next year. As for their D vs. our O, I pointed out that Minshew didn't seem to get so sloppy with his passing until after the second head hit, and that wasn't disputed. We all agreed that the second targeting call was justified, though probably accidental. The B12 has not been after targeting as agressively as the PAC for lo these many years, and they appear to be behind us in adjusting to that rule.

Our showboating on the interception was painfully obvious and an obvious call. You never see offensive players do that; they seem to be up to speed on the rule. But a D back? I suspect he never gave any thought to scoring a TD with enough cushion to be able to do something like that, and it just came out when Strong realized that he was home free. Dumb mistake in a game that had many of them on both sides (fortunately for us, they made more dumb mistakes than we did).

And I wasn't aware of the rule change that made a fair catch on the kickoff an automatic 1st down on the 25, so I learned something.

I kind of hope that we both win our league next year and get a rematch at some point.
Regarding ISU's uphill battle with personnel, let's not forget this was a WSU team that lost a disastrous number of seniors. Everybody likes to explain wins and losses in terms of the handicaps they faced, but we have our own great argument here.

I definitely hope we DON'T play ISU again as long as they're good. They are an excellent team - which by the way we get virtually zero credit for beating and a ton of heat for losing to.

I'll just have to take everyone's word for it that ISU fans are great. I heard Kansas City fans were great too. I went out in Power & Light the night before a Seahawks game and cheered us on in a loss at Arrowhead in 2014. Drunk Chiefs fans were screaming obscenities at our Seahawks group all game, and again when we lost. Craziest BBQ scene and tailgate I've ever seen - Mad Max like - but pretty hostile/classless environment. But everyone thinks they're great, so I'll just go with that. Guess I'll say the same about ISU because they seem very similar but were booing every call last night and are pasting ref grief all over the net now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT