ADVERTISEMENT

Are the Transfer Portal + NIL the straws that break the camel's back?

The portal should absolutely be for the offseason. That's change #1 - it doesn't open until the day after the NC game is played.

Here's change #2: there are 2 portal windows. The first opens the day after the NC, and stays open for 2 weeks. The second opens the day after spring ball ends, and is open for 3 weeks.

Here's the conditions:
  • To transfer during the first window, you must have participated in your current team's full season, including postseason games. Exceptions are allowed for verified injuries only.
  • You are not eligible to play the following season:
    • If you transfer outside of the approved portal window,
    • If it can be shown that a team contacted any player before they declared their entry to the portal, and the player transfers to that school
Additional changes:
  • Base roster limit of 70 (or 75) for all teams
  • Teams who accept portal transfers from another team at the same level have their roster limit reduced by 1 for each player accepted (meaning, if an FBS team takes a portal player from another FBS team, their limit falls to 69. No penalty if the player comes from FCS.) The team who loses the player gets +1 to their roster limit (and I'd be open to +2 if the player is a starter).
  • Players must be academically eligible at the initial institution in order to enter the portal.
  • No more redshirts. All players have 5 years to play 200 quarters (postseason and OT don't count). Transfers outside of portal windows lose 48 quarters.
  • Medical extension year (1 max) added for any player who loses 25 or more consecutive quarters to injury in at least 2 seasons. The participation limit stays at 200 quarters, you just get an extra year to reach it.
This at least creates some incentive to play in bowl games - although it doesn't impact those players who are entering the draft. It should eliminate the exodus we had this year. Also eliminates teams like USC taking 20+ transfers. It spreads talent around more, and creates a disincentive to stockpile it.

If the kids walk during the season, then they walk during the season. Kids leave teams for a myriad of reasons mid season. You, me, the staff don’t have to agree with them. It’s their choice and freedom. To then deny them the ability to change schools for THEIR education and playing career? Nope. Or, maybe the default is can you defend it in court? Cause that’s why we’re here now. NIL isn’t a winner in court. Would you want to argue denying a college student the ability to transfer in front of a judge?

Is removing 25% of someone’s playing career really fair if they, as a college student, decide to transfer outside of a window determined by an entity of which the labor had 0 say or representation in? Again, would that hold up in court? If the rules are not reasonable, if they are heavily punitive, good luck with that. Especially with coaches socking away $100,000,000+ in career earnings.

If you wanna stop the flow of kids you have to work with the schools, not the kids. So….. go back to the 25 limit per year. Now kids that enter may not have a seat. Make kids and teams make shrewd decisions for their futures. Also, kids may choose to pay the tuition and walk on if the NIL $ is right. I know that BYU had all their walk ons get NIL deals that laid their tuition.

If the portal has entry dates, fine. But there should be no exit requirement. Wanna wait until the team’s season is over? Fine. Again, they’re students. How long before you are now deny them access to their next school? When kids can’t transfer until after the title game, what does that look like? Are they walking into school after classes have already started?

If the kid wants to sit out of the bowl game, his 6-6 team vs another 6-6 team, good luck punishing him for that.

The NCAA punted on denying kids $ and transfer limits for a reason. They were gonna lose their asses in court.

You need to move away from punitive damages for the kids. It isn’t a winner. And now some of these kids will have the $ for attorneys fees to see it thru.

The labor is driving the bus now. Thousands of fans dont go to games or turn on the tv to watch coaches and bands. They want to see the labor. They’d better find a way to work with, enhance and develop the labor. That’s where the $$$ is.

If the kids walk during the season, then they walk during the season. Kids leave teams for a myriad of reasons mid season. You, me, the staff don’t have to agree with them. It’s their choice and freedom. To then deny them the ability to change schools for THEIR education and playing career? Nope. Or, maybe the default is can you defend it in court? Cause that’s why we’re here now. NIL isn’t a winner in court. Would you want to argue denying a college student the ability to transfer in front of a judge?

Is removing 25% of someone’s playing career really fair if they, as a college student, decide to transfer outside of a window determined by an entity of which the labor had 0 say or representation in? Again, would that hold up in court? If the rules are not reasonable, if they are heavily punitive, good luck with that. Especially with coaches socking away $100,000,000+ in career earnings.

If you wanna stop the flow of kids you have to work with the schools, not the kids. So….. go back to the 25 limit per year. Now kids that enter may not have a seat. Make kids and teams make shrewd decisions for their futures. Also, kids may choose to pay the tuition and walk on if the NIL $ is right. I know that BYU had all their walk ons get NIL deals that laid their tuition.

If the portal has entry dates, fine. But there should be no exit requirement. Wanna wait until the team’s season is over? Fine. Again, they’re students. How long before you are now deny them access to their next school? When kids can’t transfer until after the title game, what does that look like? Are they walking into school after classes have already started?

If the kid wants to sit out of the bowl game, his 6-6 team vs another 6-6 team, good luck punishing him for that.

The NCAA punted on denying kids $ and transfer limits for a reason. They were gonna lose their asses in court.

You need to move away from punitive damages for the kids. It isn’t a winner. And now some of these kids will have the $ for attorneys fees to see it thru.

The labor is driving the bus now. Thousands of fans dont go to games or turn on the tv to watch coaches and bands. They want to see the labor. They’d better find a way to work with, enhance and develop the labor. That’s where the $$$ is.
I'm not limiting their ability to transfer. I'm limiting their eligibility to play the game that I set the eligibility requirements for, and actually using eligibility requirements similar to what used to exist.. except that I'm providing specified periods where they can transfer freely. Even the ones who quit mid-season get an opportunity to freely transfer, they just don't get first priority.

Realistically, if a player is good enough, they're still going to have a landing spot. My guess is that one day when someone does the analysis on portal transfers, they're going to find that it's a net negative for players. Some will see significant financial gains. Far more will end up out in the cold, with no NIL money and no available roster spot.

There's no way for the NCAA to control NIL. That horse has left the barn, and the barn burned down. But they can still define eligibility and roster limits.

The 25 recruit limit is good too, although with a reduction to 70 on the roster, I'd make it 20 per year. +1 for portal losses, -1 for portal gains.

I'm not limiting their ability to transfer. I'm limiting their eligibility to play the game that I set the eligibility requirements for, and actually using eligibility requirements similar to what used to exist.. except that I'm providing specified periods where they can transfer freely. Even the ones who quit mid-season get an opportunity to freely transfer, they just don't get first priority.

Realistically, if a player is good enough, they're still going to have a landing spot. My guess is that one day when someone does the analysis on portal transfers, they're going to find that it's a net negative for players. Some will see significant financial gains. Far more will end up out in the cold, with no NIL money and no available roster spot.

There's no way for the NCAA to control NIL. That horse has left the barn, and the barn burned down. But they can still define eligibility and roster limits.

The 25 recruit limit is good too, although with a reduction to 70 on the roster, I'd make it 20 per year. +1 for portal losses, -1 for portal gains.

Removing eligibility if they transfer is limiting and influencing their ability to transfer. Not all situations are good for kids. You just took 25% of their career. It was unfair in the past, it’s still unfair now.

Again, you have an entity making decisions for the labor without the labor having representation. Any consequences that remove eligibility for transferring could have an issue if the kid wants to sue. Kid with $0 in pocket (or maybe some NIL $) vs NCAA with millions of dollars in their pockets. That’s a bad look in court.

The portal is here. Kids get 1 free transfer. After that they need to be a graduate transfer. Fair. The idea that you will impose penalties on kids trying to create a better situation for themselves is ludicrous. Especially when those levying the penalties are millionaires because of the kids.

Class limit.
Roster limit.
Play ball.

A +1 or -1 complicates things even further.

Have a class limit for scholarship players and a roster limit to prevent circumventing the class limit with kids taking the NIL $ and paying their own way.

Just because the NCAA and schools make the rules doesn’t mean the rules can be whatever they want them to be and the kids have no recourse. It still has to stand up in court. As we found with NIL.

I have zero sympathy for these coaches. None. They are creating generational wealth when they should be teaching middle school PE. And they’re gonna complain about kids transferring? Or someone offering the kid money? How’d that direct deposit look this month coach? Pretty good? I bet it did.

The lack of talent isn’t the kids. There are tons of kids. The lack of talent is identifying coaching talent. Football does a good job getting the best players to the top. The best coaches? Well, not so much.

Food for thought

323869625_5874989245877480_1186585678210201204_n.jpg

Food for thought

323869625_5874989245877480_1186585678210201204_n.jpg
I’d like to see the other two numbers: most transfer ins, and the number of transfer outs who end up without a chair when the music stops.

Oh…and also a comparison year to year. A&M had a lot of transfer ins last year, and lead in outs this year. Does the same situation appear regularly?

Kids should able to walk whenever they want, but they shouldn’t be eligible to begin practicing with their new teams until Fall practices. If you quit in October, you can remain on scholarship with your current program or with your new school the following term, but you can’t play football for them until the Fall.

That will reduce tampering and allow the kids to make less impulsive decisions while sill focusing on their degrees.

If we are going to continue to pretend that college is always about academics, not sports, then the number of times a student/athlete can transfer should be limited. I don't see it talked about but transferring usually hurts the student/athlete academically. Seldom do all of the course credits earned at one institution transfer seamlessly to another which ends up prolonging the time to graduate (if they ever do) and has a financial impact unless the student/athlete has 100% of their college costs covered by scholarship. (Whether course credits should transfer to any other institution is another issue entirely.). Just because it's a person's God given right to do what they want, it's not always in the student/athlete's best interest to do so. There is something to be said about loyalty and commitment and finishing what you start and this applies to coaches and student/athletes alike but I don't see it changing any time soon.

Reactions: acgcoug
If we are going to continue to pretend that college is always about academics, not sports, then the number of times a student/athlete can transfer should be limited. I don't see it talked about but transferring usually hurts the student/athlete academically. Seldom do all of the course credits earned at one institution transfer seamlessly to another which ends up prolonging the time to graduate (if they ever do) and has a financial impact unless the student/athlete has 100% of their college costs covered by scholarship. (Whether course credits should transfer to any other institution is another issue entirely.). Just because it's a person's God given right to do what they want, it's not always in the student/athlete's best interest to do so. There is something to be said about loyalty and commitment and finishing what you start and this applies to coaches and student/athletes alike but I don't see it changing any time soon.

That’s on them. With freedom of choice comes repercussions, both good and bad, of those choices.

Kids are too easily sold and swayed by things that don’t matter.

Reactions: acgcoug
Correct, not every team is running the air raid. But the concepts and schemes are in the DNA of every passing game. Every defense sees it in practice. Every offense runs it in practice. If you want the benefit of being different, the air raid ain’t it.
I am leaning with you against certain parts of the air raid, but I think Leach had the right concept.

Football is 1 of 3 things to me...

Power it

Spread it

Misdirect/trick it

The "key" to the air raid really working is adding more variety with more formations.

You will never make me believe that we were without receivers/running backs that could've gone no huddle wildcat with options to run it... give it to the QB to throw it... or a "roll out".

I am leaning with you against certain parts of the air raid, but I think Leach had the right concept.

Football is 1 of 3 things to me...

Power it

Spread it

Misdirect/trick it

The "key" to the air raid really working is adding more variety with more formations.

You will never make me believe that we were without receivers/running backs that could've gone no huddle wildcat with options to run it... give it to the QB to throw it... or a "roll out".

You are missing some. Out number. Out run. And maybe even out angle. If you cannot over power and out run teams, you’d better win at out numbering them, out angling them and smoke/mirrors/forcing impossible decisions. For WSU, it cannot come down to a DNA competition. Now do you see why I shit all over coaches at WSU that get out coached? The 1 thing that WSU can control to level the playing field is coaching. If WSU gets beat handily at coaching, it’s all over when it comes down to DNA. They will not out DNA most of the conference.

Who is putting up passing stats like Leach’s teams did using a TE? Adding a TE tweaks something in the overall scheme that just doesn’t rev the engines like a 4 wr set does.

The biggest problem with the air raid is not running the ball between the tackles. The second biggest problem is not running the qb. The abandonment of the run game makes it too easy for defenses to defend.

Do those things well and you break football wide open.

You are missing some. Out number. Out run. And maybe even out angle. If you cannot over power and out run teams, you’d better win at out numbering them, out angling them and smoke/mirrors/forcing impossible decisions. For WSU, it cannot come down to a DNA competition. Now do you see why I shit all over coaches at WSU that get out coached? The 1 thing that WSU can control to level the playing field is coaching. If WSU gets beat handily at coaching, it’s all over when it comes down to DNA. They will not out DNA most of the conference.

Who is putting up passing stats like Leach’s teams did using a TE? Adding a TE tweaks something in the overall scheme that just doesn’t rev the engines like a 4 wr set does.

The biggest problem with the air raid is not running the ball between the tackles. The second biggest problem is not running the qb. The abandonment of the run game makes it too easy for defenses to defend.

Do those things well and you break football wide open.

To answer your question, TCU, SONNY DYKES IS DOING PRETTY WELL WITH A MODIFIED SEMI BALANCED AIR RAID THAT HAS 1 TE, 1 RB, 1 MOBILE QB, 3 WR's.

We already saw what that did to unbeaten Michigan.

Now we will see what that does to Georgia in the National Championship.

You can stop cherry picking any time now.

To answer your question, TCU, SONNY DYKES IS DOING PRETTY WELL WITH A MODIFIED SEMI BALANCED AIR RAID THAT HAS 1 TE, 1 RB, 1 MOBILE QB, 3 WR's.

We already saw what that did to unbeaten Michigan.

Now we will see what that does to Georgia in the National Championship.

You can stop cherry picking any time now.

Dykes is the only guy that runs his qb.

You can fuc$ off any time now asshole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT