ADVERTISEMENT

ASU - I'm pretty sure........

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
......that our Cougs are going to come out on fire and lay the wood to ASU. It will be a nice chilly fall day (perfect for us, cold for those desert rats), the stands full of dads, I assume a true sellout. A bit later kickoff would be better for atmosphere, but the dads and students will have a snoot full by kickoff even at 12:30. We are Cougs after all.

Falk will have a gleam in his eye. He knows he let the team down last week. Defense is feeling their oats. RB's will foil the blitz. Look for lots of 2 and 3 back sets. Gabe and River are going to run wild. Dom won't drop more than 2 or 3 balls.

Cougs 49, Sun Snivels 24

On WiFi, you're absolutley right. Problem is, many times, (more often than not), the PREDICTED outcome is surprisingly the opposite.

......that our Cougs are going to come out on fire and lay the wood to ASU. It will be a nice chilly fall day (perfect for us, cold for those desert rats), the stands full of dads, I assume a true sellout. A bit later kickoff would be better for atmosphere, but the dads and students will have a snoot full by kickoff even at 12:30. We are Cougs after all.

Falk will have a gleam in his eye. He knows he let the team down last week. Defense is feeling their oats. RB's will foil the blitz. Look for lots of 2 and 3 back sets. Gabe and River are going to run wild. Dom won't drop more than 2 or 3 balls.

Cougs 49, Sun Snivels 24
My concern is when is the last time pre or post Wulff ear have we played well on dad's weekend. Maybe the crowd will be different this year, but years past it seemed to be pretty subdued and gave the team zero energy.

Cougs 49, Sun Snivels 24
I feel like the OL, and even just picking up blocks in general, is a strength of this team, and that ASU secondary is very suspect. The next step up for this team, after the Stanford game, is another OSU type performance... But keep running through the finish line. We pressure them with 4 more than they do with six, Berc throws multiple picks, Cougs win going away.

My concern is when is the last time pre or post Wulff ear have we played well on dad's weekend. Maybe the crowd will be different this year, but years past it seemed to be pretty subdued and gave the team zero energy.
Different team.

I don't think the specter of Dad's Weekend has anything to do with the result of the game. I'd imagine the last time they had a good team, they did fine- even the OSU game two years ago was 80% of a competitive game till Connor lit himself on fire.

Different team.

I don't think the specter of Dad's Weekend has anything to do with the result of the game. I'd imagine the last time they had a good team, they did fine- even the OSU game two years ago was 80% of a competitive game till Connor lit himself on fire.
When was that 2003?

I feel like the OL, and even just picking up blocks in general, is a strength of this team, and that ASU secondary is very suspect. The next step up for this team, after the Stanford game, is another OSU type performance... But keep running through the finish line. We pressure them with 4 more than they do with six, Berc throws multiple picks, Cougs win going away.
Agree and think that is exactly what they will do. Thorpe indicated in the chat transcript I read that the team was ready to play ASU quickly after the Stanford game. This team is different and we should expect them to come out ready to go.

1) That is a stupid concern

2) We torched ASU on Dad's Weekend in 2011

Dad's weekend is typically a large but somewhat dead crowd especially with a 12:30pm kickoff. I could see this week being a bit different though. Hopefully most of the students will come back with their Dad's after halftime.

So we should be able to go between the 20's with ease.
WSU is second in whatever stat the Pac 12 uses to measure red zone offense, and their TD percentage is in the top third.

ASU is tenth, with less than half of their red zone trips in conference ending in TD's.

Based on numbers we are batting 385 on those weekends. Stanford 1997, they were huge underdogs and chad Hutchinson was out and I believe Stanford took a lead in the 4th quarter on a punt return.

Like I said, maybe there will be energy in the crowd that I haven't seen the many times I have been over there for that weekend.

Based on numbers we are batting 385 on those weekends. Stanford 1997, they were huge underdogs and chad Hutchinson was out and I believe Stanford took a lead in the 4th quarter on a punt return.

Like I said, maybe there will be energy in the crowd that I haven't seen the many times I have been over there for that weekend.

That average means little when we are batting around that same clip for all games for the past 15 years.

Dad's weekend is typically a large but somewhat dead crowd especially with a 12:30pm kickoff. I could see this week being a bit different though. Hopefully most of the students will come back with their Dad's after halftime.

It's only dead when we get blown out like last year. That 03 game vs OSU is still one of the loudest Martin Stadium crowds I have ever heard.

It's only dead when we get blown out like last year. That 03 game vs OSU is still one of the loudest Martin Stadium crowds I have ever heard.
After last week and this season in general I have to believe the students are ready to go this weekend and will be alive for ASU. Every game gets bigger and bigger.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
When was that 2003?
2013. When we went into the 4th tied, but Halliday threw a pick and then had a temper tantrum and threw 3 more, and we ended up getting blown out. 52-24, if I recall correctly.

WSU is second in whatever stat the Pac 12 uses to measure red zone offense, and their TD percentage is in the top third.

ASU is tenth, with less than half of their red zone trips in conference ending in TD's.

Don't bother Ed with things like facts.

You're right, we should just forfeit.

You're right, we should just forfeit.
Yes, that is exactly what I said. I said many times that I have been in the stands they got zero energy from the crowd. For example, I knew the Stanford game in 97 was going to be a a bigger struggle than projected cause it sounded like a funeral before the kickoff. I can point to numerous other games. I hope the crowd is rowdy and really gives us a home field advantage as the players feed of that. If you don't think crowd noise and energy is real, simply state that.

ED's still holding out hope the Cougars don't make a bowl, so his irons laws of a sophomore QB not making a bowl still is intact. By the way, he doesn't count Chad Davis.

Reactions: dgibbons
ED's still holding out hope the Cougars don't make a bowl, so his irons laws of a sophomore QB not making a bowl still is intact. By the way, he doesn't count Chad Davis.
Really? (if only there were recs on wazzu watch). ;)

I have no problem saying a loud crowd can be a great home field advantage; I'd just like to see your detailed analysis showing the correlation between Dad's Weekend crowd behavior and the win-loss outcome.

You mean iron laws of historical certainty and probability!

Yes, that is exactly what I said. I said many times that I have been in the stands they got zero energy from the crowd. For example, I knew the Stanford game in 97 was going to be a a bigger struggle than projected cause it sounded like a funeral before the kickoff. I can point to numerous other games. I hope the crowd is rowdy and really gives us a home field advantage as the players feed of that. If you don't think crowd noise and energy is real, simply state that.

Tell me where I'm misinterpreting your comments:
a) Dad's Weekend crowd is subdued: "For example, I knew the Stanford game in 97 was going to be a a bigger struggle than projected cause it sounded like a funeral before the kickoff"
b) Cougs likely won't perform without crowd support: My concern is when is the last time pre or post Wulff ear have we played well on dad's weekend. Maybe the crowd will be different this year, but years past it seemed to be pretty subdued and gave the team zero energy.

Therefore--we lose. So let's forfeit the game.

My take is, it's a sellout, we just about knocked off a top 10 team, and our team is getting better by leaps and bounds every game, so I'm not subscribing to your pessimistic view and I'm going to say we put a beating on them.

Yes...I get much more satisfaction of being right than I do for the Cougs winning. So if I watch the game and I am on the field I will try to pretend I am happy even though I am secretly hoping that Falk doesn't do what one other QB in my time watching Cougar football has done, had a winning record as a soph.

And you are correct that defense was so dominate they went 7-4 despite Chad Davis.

Tell me where I'm misinterpreting your comments:
a) Dad's Weekend crowd is subdued: "For example, I knew the Stanford game in 97 was going to be a a bigger struggle than projected cause it sounded like a funeral before the kickoff"
b) Cougs likely won't perform without crowd support: My concern is when is the last time pre or post Wulff ear have we played well on dad's weekend. Maybe the crowd will be different this year, but years past it seemed to be pretty subdued and gave the team zero energy.

Therefore--we lose. So let's forfeit the game.

My take is, it's a sellout, we just about knocked off a top 10 team, and our team is getting better by leaps and bounds every game, so I'm not subscribing to your pessimistic view and I'm going to say we put a beating on them.
Where did you misinterpret my comments? One, with the premise I think it is an automatic loss. I said it was a concern. Just like Arizona's style of offense was a concern. Didn't mean we didn't stand a chance, or in this case shouldn't win, but it is a concern. Just like the lack of crowd against PSU hurt.

If we go between the 20's and score 15 points in the first half, and 12 in the second, and we don't put the ball in the endzone, then we won't win. We need to finish drives. Finishing is a concern. Doesn't mean we won't. WE didn't against PSU, Wyoming was marginal, struggled against Rutgers, Oregon we did and Arizona as well. Not so much with Stanford.

So where did you misinterpret my comments, from the general premise that we are doomed. Other than that, you are spot on.

Yes...I get much more satisfaction of being right than I do for the Cougs winning. So if I watch the game and I am on the field I will try to pretend I am happy even though I am secretly hoping that Falk doesn't do what one other QB in my time watching Cougar football has done, had a winning record as a soph.

And you are correct that defense was so dominate they went 7-4 despite Chad Davis.

The funny thing is that you don't seem to want things to change.

And it was 8-4.

Where did you misinterpret my comments? One, with the premise I think it is an automatic loss. I said it was a concern. Just like Arizona's style of offense was a concern. Didn't mean we didn't stand a chance, or in this case shouldn't win, but it is a concern. Just like the lack of crowd against PSU hurt.

If we go between the 20's and score 15 points in the first half, and 12 in the second, and we don't put the ball in the endzone, then we won't win. We need to finish drives. Finishing is a concern. Doesn't mean we won't. WE didn't against PSU, Wyoming was marginal, struggled against Rutgers, Oregon we did and Arizona as well. Not so much with Stanford.

So where did you misinterpret my comments, from the general premise that we are doomed. Other than that, you are spot on.

How 'bout Anu Solomon.

And are you aware that the Stanford game is over?

Yeah, Any played like crap. Your point?

Just want to make sure you're up on recent events. It's not clear sometimes. Like when you say that because the crowd was subdued in 1997, so therefore it must always be that way on Dad's weekend.

Reactions: wulffui
With all due respect CE, what the hell does previous "Dads' Days" have to do with this particular one? Just wondering in case you did have something germane in mind.

The funny thing is that you don't seem to want things to change.

And it was 8-4.
Funny thing is not sure why? So if I was an ASU fan and said WSU's passing game is a concern going into the game, I guess that means I woudl not want ASU to win. Interesting take.

With all due respect CE, what the hell does previous "Dads' Days" have to do with this particular one? Just wondering in case you did have something germane in mind.
Why? Cause the crowds have been subdued. No energy from the crowds and thus the team on more than one occasion has come out flat.

Funny thing is not sure why? So if I was an ASU fan and said WSU's passing game is a concern going into the game, I guess that means I woudl not want ASU to win. Interesting take.

Read your own posts Ed. There are no facts to back up your pessimism. That's why people are giving you a hard time. Do yourself a favor and look up some stats and do
Something other then dwell on the Stanford game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT