ADVERTISEMENT

Avista Stadium?

Any utility, etc., would be hard pressed to spend any consumer money on this kind of corporate spend.

Yeah, I can't visualize an Avista Stadium. Although it sounds strangely familiar......Avista Stadium.......Spokane........Indians.......just can't quite put my finger on it.....

Reactions: Cougzz
Loyal. Not sure on the dollars in Spokane. I just sense our local community would throw a fit over unnecessary spend for this. Pretty sure they are a monopoly. Why do they need to spend millions to advertise. Only thought would be maybe you could justify it for name recognition for future ventures.

Reactions: Cougzz
Utilities really monopolies... They kinda are but they are sanctioned by the government(s) so it's OK then... :eek:
But Inland Power and Light is a Co-Op Utility within Spokane County, as well. Much smaller but still there to add pressure. So not really a monopoly.

To add, when you look at the venues they HAVE sponsored, it's apparent they are active but their budget is not the same as Boeing, for example.

Also another point, I'm not sure what Avista would gain from such sponsorship. While their footprint gets down to Lewiston/Clarkston it doesn't hit Walla Walla or TC. It gets as far west as Othello but misses Moses Lake. It gets into N. Idaho quite a bit but that isn't exactly a large market. They have small pockets of Natural gas in Oregon but again... small.
I just don't see them benefiting. I could be wrong but I doubt it. Not with the way Utility contracts work and the ability (or more appropriately the extreme difficulty) to expand. If anything, it would go to some sort of tax break for sponsoring... but not about expanding their brand or "selling more" electricity, kind of model.

It would be nice to get someone on the hook for this project we've all been waiting for but if my crystal ball is right, Avista ain't it.

Utilities really monopolies... They kinda are but they are sanctioned by the government(s) so it's OK then... :eek:
But Inland Power and Light is a Co-Op Utility within Spokane County, as well. Much smaller but still there to add pressure. So not really a monopoly.

To add, when you look at the venues they HAVE sponsored, it's apparent they are active but their budget is not the same as Boeing, for example.

Also another point, I'm not sure what Avista would gain from such sponsorship. While their footprint gets down to Lewiston/Clarkston it doesn't hit Walla Walla or TC. It gets as far west as Othello but misses Moses Lake. It gets into N. Idaho quite a bit but that isn't exactly a large market. They have small pockets of Natural gas in Oregon but again... small.
I just don't see them benefiting. I could be wrong but I doubt it. Not with the way Utility contracts work and the ability (or more appropriately the extreme difficulty) to expand. If anything, it would go to some sort of tax break for sponsoring... but not about expanding their brand or "selling more" electricity, kind of model.

It would be nice to get someone on the hook for this project we've all been waiting for but if my crystal ball is right, Avista ain't it.

A regional bank or credit union seems most likely to me.

Reactions: Observer11
"Regional" bank maybe. Meaning WA, OR, ID size region.

Credit Unions are required to put money back into the community but the idea of a "non-profit" spilling out millions for their name on a sports venue just seems to open up a big ol can of whoop ass from the SJW's.

"Regional" bank maybe. Meaning WA, OR, ID size region.

Credit Unions are required to put money back into the community but the idea of a "non-profit" spilling out millions for their name on a sports venue just seems to open up a big ol can of whoop ass from the SJW's.

Colorado State's football stadium is sponsored by a credit union. Numerica just bought the naming rights for the skating ribbon and the gondola. BECU sponsors all kinds of stuff for WSU.

Credit unions are flush with cash, and are looking to spend it.

Colorado State's football stadium is sponsored by a credit union. Numerica just bought the naming rights for the skating ribbon and the gondola. BECU sponsors all kinds of stuff for WSU.

Credit unions are flush with cash, and are looking to spend it.
Maybe. Crystal ball might be glitching. I just don't see it personally, for our region. Been down to CSU quite a bit for work. I know the people. They are not the same as Spokane or Eastern Washington. Still maybe.

It isn't the money they have or have not that's the concern to me, it's the reaction from people.

STCU (Spokane Teachers Credit Union) is getting pretty friendly with WSU. So far it hasn't been amounts that'll put their name on the stadium, but there have been several smaller contributions.

Seems like a move WSECU could make too (WA State Employee's Credit Union), especially since they've been present in Pullman for a couple decades (including a branch in the CUB). They've got as much in assets as STCU, and more members. I've had accounts there for 25 years, but they have no presence in Tri-Cities, so I have no perspective on what they're doing in their communities.

Numerica is about half a billion behind STCU in assets, but they're starting to spread it around a little too. Not as aggressively as STCU, but they seem to be picking things up a bit.

STCU (Spokane Teachers Credit Union) is getting pretty friendly with WSU. So far it hasn't been amounts that'll put their name on the stadium, but there have been several smaller contributions.

Seems like a move WSECU could make too (WA State Employee's Credit Union), especially since they've been present in Pullman for a couple decades (including a branch in the CUB). They've got as much in assets as STCU, and more members. I've had accounts there for 25 years, but they have no presence in Tri-Cities, so I have no perspective on what they're doing in their communities.

Numerica is about half a billion behind STCU in assets, but they're starting to spread it around a little too. Not as aggressively as STCU, but they seem to be picking things up a bit.

WA Trust dwarfs them all.

BECU is the more likely target for a credit union.

STCU (Spokane Teachers Credit Union) is getting pretty friendly with WSU.

This seems promising and yet another way to further solidify the bond between WSU and Spokane.

What about Spokane Teachers Credit Union Stadium at one price point?

Or STCU Field at Martin Stadium at a different price point?

Wonder if some of the territorial Gonzaga diehards in Spokane would object to the STCU devoting resources to an institution outside the boundaries of Spokane County?

Last edited:
This seems promising and yet another way to further solidify the bond between WSU and Spokane.

What about Spokane Teachers Credit Union Stadium at one price point?

Or STCU Field at Martin Stadium at a different price point?

Wonder if some of territorial Gonzaga diehards in Spokane would object to the STCU devoting resources to an institution outside the boundaries of Spokane County?

Package the basketball naming rights with the football naming rights.

Package the basketball naming rights with the football naming rights.

So I'm too lazy to look up the assets of these other credit unions/banks, but Idaho Central Credit Union ponied up $10 million for UI's basketball, etc. arena, and they have assets of $4 billion. Good for them, but wow - UI isn't exactly high profile in anything. Side note - in the article below, it is stated that UI is counting on $18 million of student fees (over time) to pay for this thing. Ouch. It is a multi-purpose facility, so there is that....

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article230447604.html

Idaho Central Credit Union ponied up $10 million for UI's basketball, etc. arena ... Good for them, but wow - UI isn't exactly high profile in anything.

Good find Loyal.

Wouldn't U of I have a pretty devoted fan base in the CDA-Post Falls-Lewiston region?

Maybe that's a real sweet spot for ICCU.

Perhaps that $10M turns out to be a bargain if the Vandals begin dominating the Big Sky in football and men's basketball like some of their fans are anticipating.

If I were a corporate sponsor that wanted to be perceived as just a little out of the box, but traditional in ways that counted, Wazzu and Leach would appeal to me. Leach's 3 rules are the sorts of things that anybody could support, and you wonder why all schools are not at the front end of that kind of thing. While Leach's image may be relatively traditional in terms values, he is unconventional in terms of his football strategy. Unconventional + Successful = Something that is Marketable. Our success also means more visible TV appearances, and that helps with field naming rights appeal.

When Carnation's name was floated I had doubts...not because Carnation and WSU was a poor match, because it would actually be a very good match. But Carnation and WSU/Air Raid football? Not so much. I'd be looking for a Bose. Or a Microsoft division that was trying hard to be perceived as breaking out of the conventional Windows-think. Or a fourth place soft drink that would offend nobody by sponsoring a specific school's field and wanted to be identified with the pirate ethos. Or an outdoor equipment manufacturer who had the money to spend.

There are some features to market. Thus far Chun has exceeded my expectations, and I sort of expect him to come up with a good fit for this.

I am somewhat puzzled by the fact that none of the agricultural entities have been mentioned as possible naming sponsors. Agricultural produce is one of the major elements in the state's economy, certainly on the east side. Perhaps not a single company but the associations. Wheat, fruits and wine come to mind. We have one of the most productive grain growing regions in the country. Washington apples are well known and cherries and other fruits are in abundance. This state produces the best wines in the country and one would think that the Washington State Vintners Association or whatever it is called would be a natural in wanting the advertising of that fact. Once I cross the summit of Snoqualmie I pass a couple hundred miles of agriculture with not a credit union to be seen.

I was not surprised by Carnation's decision to back off. The nation's dairy industry is suffering a bit of a downturn. More people are turning to soy milk instead of dairy milk. Last year the consumption of dairy milk dropped by 3% so I find it reasonable that the dairy guys are being a bit cautious about any major commitments at this time. Too bad too as I thought that the combination of a dairy concern and our Ferdinand's was a nice match.

I am somewhat puzzled by the fact that none of the agricultural entities have been mentioned as possible naming sponsors. Agricultural produce is one of the major elements in the state's economy, certainly on the east side. Perhaps not a single company but the associations. Wheat, fruits and wine come to mind. We have one of the most productive grain growing regions in the country. Washington apples are well known and cherries and other fruits are in abundance. This state produces the best wines in the country and one would think that the Washington State Vintners Association or whatever it is called would be a natural in wanting the advertising of that fact. Once I cross the summit of Snoqualmie I pass a couple hundred miles of agriculture with not a credit union to be seen.

I was not surprised by Carnation's decision to back off. The nation's dairy industry is suffering a bit of a downturn. More people are turning to soy milk instead of dairy milk. Last year the consumption of dairy milk dropped by 3% so I find it reasonable that the dairy guys are being a bit cautious about any major commitments at this time. Too bad too as I thought that the combination of a dairy concern and our Ferdinand's was a nice match.

Alex McGregor sits right behind us at FB games. Has for years. I'll ask him...:eek:

Last edited:

Pretty sure it was Darigold, not Carnation.

Fnu, you were whey out of line....

But I was the one that started the Carnation name in this thread, and Observer is right, it was Darigold. My fault, not Kayak's.

Reactions: FnuLnu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT