ADVERTISEMENT

Blake Mazza

I was just over in Tamarindo.. Loved it. Stayed at Hotel La Palapa right on the beach. Definitely recommend it. 2 drinks for 7 bucks all day every day...so yeah, your liver won't be dry lol.

I currently live in Ciudad Colon which is in the central valley about 30 minutes west of San Jose. I like it here because there is a constant spring breeze and its not a tourist trap...so I am forced to learn Spanish...which is good.

I may move to Tamarindo in March...for 2 weeks or a month. Probably more like 2 weeks. Too much temptation there for ye of weak will :)

We were near Tamrindo - stayed at the Marriott Resort and took the shuttle up for a full day of debauchery. Found a nice beach club/bar and they kept bringing beers and food all day. Then moved over to a great restaurant on the beach and ate like gluttons. Might have dropped $150 for the whole day....if that. I can't even imagine what it would have cost in Cabo or Playa.

Wife briefly looked at real estate in Costa Rica for the retirement home - some really attractive deals. Ultimately decided against and will head south(east) within these United States when the time comes for half the year. Can't quite buy into the whole AZ/Palm Springs thing. Just don't like brown and desert all that much. Give me some green lushness and creatures that can kill you....like gators and poisonous snakes that don't give off a rattle warning.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Oh I should mention....the flights are super cheap right now. My flight down from Seattle was $170...and flight going back the end of March is $245. May have to re-direct that to Columbia lol

All of the restaurants are open down here. All of them are open air. Or at least the ones I have been to. I haven't eaten a single meal inside. So that helps with the covid.

Only thing is they shut everything down at 9. Supposedly the beaches were to shut down at 2...but I was at one of the most popular beaches and no enforcement of that. They do a good job of making everyone wash their hands and take their temp down here before entering...and masks required except for at your seat.

If you make it down, I'll hop on a puddle jumper to Tamarindo and put a few of those $7 rounds on my tab. Big spender here 😁

Maybe - my wife asked a couple weeks ago if I wanted to fly into San Jose - but it's like a 7 hour bus ride to get to the Pacific coast (maybe 5, too long). We'll definitely be back to Costa Rica in the next couple years. Pretty sure I caught the Vid during our last trip - spent February pretty well asleep with the most bizarre headache/sinus infectiony/weird cough in my life. Guessing it was when we flew through Houston/Seattle before the thing really got cooking. Both big hubs for Chinese travelers.

I was just over in Tamarindo.. Loved it. Stayed at Hotel La Palapa right on the beach. Definitely recommend it. 2 drinks for 7 bucks all day every day...so yeah, your liver won't be dry lol.

I currently live in Ciudad Colon which is in the central valley about 30 minutes west of San Jose. I like it here because there is a constant spring breeze and its not a tourist trap...so I am forced to learn Spanish...which is good.

I may move to Tamarindo in March...for 2 weeks or a month. Probably more like 2 weeks. Too much temptation there for ye of weak will :)
Witness protection?

Witness protection?

Lol no. I think the witness protection program puts you somewhere in the middle of Nebraska or similar. Henry Hill wasn't too fond of it.

Just needed to get away from crazy Seattle...and from getting rained on ad nauseum

Last edited:
Reactions: 79COUG
We were near Tamrindo - stayed at the Marriott Resort and took the shuttle up for a full day of debauchery. Found a nice beach club/bar and they kept bringing beers and food all day. Then moved over to a great restaurant on the beach and ate like gluttons. Might have dropped $150 for the whole day....if that. I can't even imagine what it would have cost in Cabo or Playa.

Wife briefly looked at real estate in Costa Rica for the retirement home - some really attractive deals. Ultimately decided against and will head south(east) within these United States when the time comes for half the year. Can't quite buy into the whole AZ/Palm Springs thing. Just don't like brown and desert all that much. Give me some green lushness and creatures that can kill you....like gators and poisonous snakes that don't give off a rattle warning.

I know you decided against retiring here...but have you looked into Atenas? They boast some of the best weather in the world...and an hr from the beach(Jaco). I have my sister looking into it. Its pretty popular with expats.

I crossed the Tarcoles river on the way to Jaco(nearest beach from San Jose)...and you can see a bunch of these fellas. This might be up your alley.

tarcoles1.jpg

There were probably 50 of them down there. A local told me they dump the real bad people of society down there...and if you look carefully, you can see handcuffs.

I took a puddle jumper from San Jose to Tamarindo. Cost me about $140. Prices are up...but worth the view. And it only took 40 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 425cougfan
"Last summer, Mazza got engaged to his longtime girlfriend, Makenzie Wise, with whom he’s maintained a long-distance relationship for three years."

So... Miss Thing didn't want to move to Pullman, not even just for 6 months. Hope she's holding down a six figure salary to justify that stance.
Ah....young love. What’s the worst that could happen?
Good luck kid...

Seems like Hawaii Real Estate prices may become a little more reasonable with the devastation that economy is going through. If I had a shyt pile of money, that’s where I’d like to be.

Seems like Hawaii Real Estate prices may become a little more reasonable with the devastation that economy is going through. If I had a shyt pile of money, that’s where I’d like to be.
South end of the big island is my dream place. Its like being at the end of the world.

South end of the big island is my dream place. Its like being at the end of the world.

Carolina low country coast is the most likely destination. Somewhere Savannah to Charleston. Easy to get to ATL for international travel, up to NYC for long weekends, crazy amounts of things to do within a day's drive. Temperate in the winter. Short hops on flights to the Caribbean or Central America. Back to the NW for summer lake time.

Assuming the country doesn't implode between now and then.

Carolina low country coast is the most likely destination. Somewhere Savannah to Charleston. Easy to get to ATL for international travel, up to NYC for long weekends, crazy amounts of things to do within a day's drive. Temperate in the winter. Short hops on flights to the Caribbean or Central America. Back to the NW for summer lake time.

I have a friend who lives in Savannah and my wife and I went down there in February a few years ago. It was pretty amazing to be there at that time of year. It was a little chilly one day, but we had a couple other days that were great. Tybee Island was worth the visit.

Reactions: Observer11
I have a friend who lives in Savannah and my wife and I went down there in February a few years ago. It was pretty amazing to be there at that time of year. It was a little chilly one day, but we had a couple other days that were great. Tybee Island was worth the visit.

Tybee is cool but a little too touristy. Savannah is one of the most amazing cities I've ever visited and that's the most likely destination - though outside town a bit. It takes alot of coin to buy one of those Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil homes. Hilton Head and the Bluffton, SC area are also in the mix.

Some of the coolest architecture is in down tow Charleston. My dad made a decision to live in S Carolina because of estate tax, and he doesn't choose Charleston but is 5 hours inland. At least he close to Clemson I guess....still should have gone to the water, but the threat of hurricanes made his choice for him

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT