ADVERTISEMENT

Bowls...again

I like the potential to play the ACC. Especially Miami. Its the best of both worlds with a famous name but clearly winnable. It turns the bowl into a true national game and honestly, how many ACC teams has WSU ever played?
Miami. 6 years ago.

Welcome to Coug nation.

I like the potential to play the ACC. Especially Miami. Its the best of both worlds with a famous name but clearly winnable. It turns the bowl into a true national game and honestly, how many ACC teams has WSU ever played?
Looks like 3

@ Syracuse L 1979 (Walden) (in Rich Stadium Buffalo, 10,000 paid)
@ Pitt L 1995 (Price) (Chad Davis QB)
Miami W 2015 Sun Bowl (Leach)

Looks like 3

@ Syracuse L 1979 (Walden) (in Rich Stadium Buffalo, 10,000 paid)
@ Pitt L 1995 (Price) (Chad Davis QB)
Miami W 2015 Sun Bowl (Leach)
I could swear that we’ve played Syracuse more recently that that. Not going to dig in on it, though.

Here is a site I use for tidbits of scheduling and other data for some other enterprising individual. Or just a good resource in general.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
I could swear that we’ve played Syracuse more recently that that. Not going to dig in on it, though.

Here is a site I use for tidbits of scheduling and other data for some other enterprising individual. Or just a good resource in general.

Yeah, that site grew out of their fabulous baseball site. Still growing.

Worry is that guy will "sell" but is turning down gambling ads. (He got lots of help building baseball site, in belief it would be free alternative to Elias Sports Bureau.)

WSU media guide are free download, and this was on one page

Reactions: SDCoug

Reactions: SDCoug
We are almost certainly locked into the Sun Bowl at this point. There is no chance they pass on us for OSU because they are not contractually allowed to.

The only hope we have is for Utah to win a squeaker vs Oregon, and Oregon remaining in the top 11, thus giving the league two NY6 bids and pulling the rest of the teams up a notch in the bowl order.

Good deal. I realized when looking at your link that I was confusing a more recent game with Temple. They are both the same to me.

We are almost certainly locked into the Sun Bowl at this point. There is no chance they pass on us for OSU because they are not contractually allowed to.

The only hope we have is for Utah to win a squeaker vs Oregon, and Oregon remaining in the top 11, thus giving the league two NY6 bids and pulling the rest of the teams up a notch in the bowl order.
Oregon isn’t staying in the top 11 with 3 losses, and 2 of their last 3. Pac-12 only gets one NY6 berth this year.

Reactions: wazzucougs96

I'm not wild about the rematch with Miami.....but it's been six years. I would much rather see us play 7-5 Miami instead of 12-1 SDSU. An Aztec team with a chip on their shoulder or a Hurricanes squad that just wants the season to be over with is an easy call to make. In terms of TV viewers, the Sun Bowl typically draws pretty well because it's one of the rare OTA broadcasts still left. It sucks that it's going up against the Gator Bowl that is likely to feature Arkansas vs Clemson but what can you do.

I have zero desire to go to El Paso for a third time but I hope a lot of folks go for their first time.

I'm not wild about the rematch with Miami.....but it's been six years. I would much rather see us play 7-5 Miami instead of 12-1 SDSU. An Aztec team with a chip on their shoulder or a Hurricanes squad that just wants the season to be over with is an easy call to make. In terms of TV viewers, the Sun Bowl typically draws pretty well because it's one of the rare OTA broadcasts still left. It sucks that it's going up against the Gator Bowl that is likely to feature Arkansas vs Clemson but what can you do.

I have zero desire to go to El Paso for a third time but I hope a lot of folks go for their first time.
Good on you for going down there twice to support the Cougs.

Reactions: Fab5Coug

Miami really turned their season around after going with their freshman QB. It's a similar storyline to ours with JDL. Miami won 5 of their last 6 games, and will probably be favored against us.

Playing SDSU is a lose-lose scenario for us. We'd play a good team that nobody thinks is a good team, and we'd play them on December 18th when nobody will be watching because the NFL has games on that Saturday. It's a turd all the way around.

I'll be surprised and disappointed if WSU ends up in Los Angeles. Much rather be in the Sun Bowl and I can't imagine they would take OSU instead....but stranger things have happened. If you would have told me 4 weeks into the season (when the Cougars were 1-3) that I'd be in a position to complain about which bowl WSU should go to, I would scoff at the notion.

Glad Cougar

I'll be surprised and disappointed if WSU ends up in Los Angeles. Much rather be in the Sun Bowl and I can't imagine they would take OSU instead....but stranger things have happened. If you would have told me 4 weeks into the season (when the Cougars were 1-3) that I'd be in a position to complain about which bowl WSU should go to, I would scoff at the notion.

Glad Cougar

The LA Bowl, for recruiting, is a good thing. Your staff can visit recruits. Recruits can come to practices and the game. It would be access to WSU football to see exactly how things are run and how they would fit in.

The LA Bowl, for recruiting, is a good thing. Your staff can visit recruits. Recruits can come to practices and the game. It would be access to WSU football to see exactly how things are run and how they would fit in.
That's a valid reason....which is why I"d really prefer the Holiday Bowl of all of them. You get the southern cal potential recruits, you get a full 10 days more of practice (Dec. 28) than the LA Bowl, and it's a higher payout. I know we've been to SD already quite recently (twice), but the "Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl" has a Cheez-Its flavor to it.

Glad Cougar

That's a valid reason....which is why I"d really prefer the Holiday Bowl of all of them. You get the southern cal potential recruits, you get a full 10 days more of practice (Dec. 28) than the LA Bowl, and it's a higher payout. I know we've been to SD already quite recently (twice), but the "Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl" has a Cheez-Its flavor to it.

Glad Cougar
Cheezit bowl pays $6MM

This ain't your dad's cheezit bowl

Glad Cougar

The 10 more days helps. I believe the conference has a bowl $ sharing agreement. Regardless of what bowl you go to or not, bowl $ is cut 12 ways.

Reactions: HCoug
The 10 more days helps. I believe the conference has a bowl $ sharing agreement. Regardless of what bowl you go to or not, bowl $ is cut 12 ways.
Exactly. The bowl payouts are irrelevant, we get the same money regardless of which one we go to. Or even if we go at all. Arizona went 1-11, and they'll get the same bowl money that Utah does.

Exactly. The bowl payouts are irrelevant, we get the same money regardless of which one we go to. Or even if we go at all. Arizona went 1-11, and they'll get the same bowl money that Utah does.
Darn right! "Future Fair for All!" (to quote Labor)

We should share donations too!

After expenses are removed.

That is where the shenanigans happen (good and bad).

Lots of hand wringing over WSU "losing" money on the Aloha Bowl in 1988, until they dug into things found out how many administrators getting free vacation to attend.

Even the president of the Grad Students Association got a trip to Hawaii out of it.

Reactions: HCoug
Darn right! "Future Fair for All!" (to quote Labor)

We should share donations too!
At many points in our history, this would have been a negative for us, but I think the bowl payouts should be shared between the teams who make a bowl...not all of the teams.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
At many points in our history, this would have been a negative for us, but I think the bowl payouts should be shared between the teams who make a bowl...not all of the teams.

Disagree. We saw what the tv revenue was when it wasn’t shared across the conference. A rising tide lifts all ships and the teams that didn’t go to bowls certainly held up their end of the deal by supplying those that did with games to play that got them there.

In a world where only bowl teams get paid and only large market tv schools get paid, there are a lot of schools in the Pac that don’t get a nickel. If this is the case, kick those $ schools out of the league and let them play themselves. Let’s see how well they do when they don’t have any schools starved for $ to play.

WSU arguing to not share bowl revenues would epitomize "getting too big for its britches." We've been doing well but the odds of us going without a bowl in any given year, in the longer term, is higher than just about any other team in the conference. Not having bowl revenues come in would just compound whatever issues were presented at the time. OK with it this year but in view of our recruiting right now, we may want to hold off on this kind of talk.

Question about bowl selection and TV. Back to the role ESPN plays (or doesn’t) in selection. If you’ve got 3 bowls (non NY6) all televised by ESPN and 3 different teams that could be placed in any bowl, doesn’t it stand to reason that the TV viewership is going to be relatively equal regardless of who goes where? So I would think where each bowl selects would be more about who’s fans are going to show up. El Paso is a crap destination for any team not in west Texas. It’a a pain in the ass to get to from the NW and it’s usually way colder than Phoenix or LA so why would their fans want to go sit in the cold. UCLA fans are not going to travel well to Vegas. That’s a day trip and they can go there any time and they don’t travel well anywhere. ASU fans may be closer to us but I have little doubt Cougs would crush the attendance for either of those schools.

Yes, should've remembered that the payouts are shared by all conference teams. Nonetheless, I prefer the Holiday Bowl over Sun, LA, and even Las Vegas. Although, I'm just happy they are going somewhere.

By the way, I remember thinking when the Cougs went to the 97 Rose Bowl that Price would be able to just kill it with a banner recruiting class. I don't think that ever happened even though he invited several recruits to the RB practices, etc....It was really a couple of years post RB97 that the Cougs landed some very good classes. Maybe some of the contacts made in 97 were with underclassmen? That sort of makes sense. It was late in the recruiting season at that point anyway.

Glad Cougar

Yes, should've remembered that the payouts are shared by all conference teams. Nonetheless, I prefer the Holiday Bowl over Sun, LA, and even Las Vegas. Although, I'm just happy they are going somewhere.

By the way, I remember thinking when the Cougs went to the 97 Rose Bowl that Price would be able to just kill it with a banner recruiting class. I don't think that ever happened even though he invited several recruits to the RB practices, etc....It was really a couple of years post RB97 that the Cougs landed some very good classes. Maybe some of the contacts made in 97 were with underclassmen? That sort of makes sense. It was late in the recruiting season at that point anyway.

Glad Cougar

It was new facilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT