LA

The Pac-12 Bowl eligible teams (there will not be more) are:

Utah (8-1)
Oregon (7-2)
WSU (6-3)
ASU (6-3)
UCLA (6-3)
Oregon State (5-4)

Rose Bowl will be automatic - winner of the Utah-Oregon rematch goes. That's the only thing that's clear.

If Oregon beats Utah, the Alamo gets Utah. No other team is within 1 game of them, so that will be a lock. Neither Utah or Oregon will be ranked highly enough for an at-large NY6 berth with another loss.

If Utah beats Oregon (again), things get messy. The Alamo can then choose whoever they want from Oregon, WSU, ASU, and UCLA...because they're all within 1 game. Oregon State is 2 games behind Oregon, so they cannot be selected until after Oregon is. Frankly, I don't see any scenarios that have Oregon State getting picked over anyone else.

Alamo is a Big 12 matchup, and right now looks likely to be either Baylor or Oklahoma. I don't see the Alamo people taking a lower team to match up either of them, so Oregon is the likely pick.

After that, there's no clarity. The other games can pick any eligible team.

I'd be surprised if Vegas picks us when UCLA and ASU are both available. It's a Big 10 matchup, and looks likely to be a relatively small market team, so they're going to want to compensate with someone who draws well. Seems to me that UCLA is the most likely pick.

I could see us getting the Holiday. While we've been there twice in the last 6 years, we drew well both times. I think this one is either ASU or us.

Sun is also ACC. I don't think they'll take Oregon State over either us or ASU.

LA bowl is a Mt. West matchup, and is our worst case, but I think the Beavers go there.

If Iowa somehow upsets Michigan for the Big-10 championship, it could have an interesting impact on the Pac-12 bowls. It's possible Michigan or Ohio State might end up in Las Vegas under that scenario although I don't know all of the other bowls tied to the Big-10. Wouldn't a WSU-Ohio State matchup in Las Vegas be interesting? Gulp.

Glad Cougar

If Iowa somehow upsets Michigan for the Big-10 championship, it could have an interesting impact on the Pac-12 bowls. It's possible Michigan or Ohio State might end up in Las Vegas under that scenario although I don't know all of the other bowls tied to the Big-10. Wouldn't a WSU-Ohio State matchup in Las Vegas be interesting? Gulp.

Glad Cougar
Yeah, still a lot to be worked out.

The Big 10 selection process is pretty complicated, and includes a provision to reduce repeat appearances by the same team in the same bowl, state, or region...and the conference gets the final approval of the selections.

I don't think either of those teams could end up in Vegas. Big 10 is tied in with the Citrus and Outback (both Jan 1 games), and I think they pick before Vegas. I haven't looked at the recent history of who's played where, but I think an Iowa win would mean that Wisconsin or Purdue went to Vegas.

Would Vegas want a team that draws well? I'd have to think that WSU would represent far better in Vegas despite UCLA's proximity. I only think this way because half my family lives in the LA area and most people who live there have mostly likely been to Vegas more times than Biden has sniffed another person's hair.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
Would Vegas want a team that draws well? I'd have to think that WSU would represent far better in Vegas despite UCLA's proximity. I only think this way because half my family lives in the LA area and most people who live there have mostly likely been to Vegas more times than Biden has sniffed another person's hair.
UCLA fan base underperforms at least as often as their team does. It’s really quite pathetic when it comes to football IMO.

It’s not about butts in seats, it’s about eyes on TVs.

Reactions: Fab5Coug and walzuu
It’s not about butts in seats, it’s about eyes on TVs.
ESPN cares about eyes on tv. Host cities care about buts in seats, restaurants, bars, and hotels. fUCLA will not only fail on that front, but those that do actuymakr it to the game are good for a one night stay at best.

Which begs the question, who makes the choice? Thought it was the city, but wouldn’t be surprised these days if ESPN controlled the whole damn thing.

ESPN cares about eyes on tv. Host cities care about buts in seats, restaurants, bars, and hotels. fUCLA will not only fail on that front, but those that do actuymakr it to the game are good for a one night stay at best.

Which begs the question, who makes the choice? Thought it was the city, but wouldn’t be surprised these days if ESPN controlled the whole damn thing.
UCLA's TV ratings aren't great either. Cougs get much better ratings than you'd think. Not sure how ESPN views an indifferent LA market versus a pretty passionate and supporting fanbase spread throughout the country.

UCLA's TV ratings aren't great either. Cougs get much better ratings than you'd think. Not sure how ESPN views an indifferent LA market versus a pretty passionate and supporting fanbase spread throughout the country.
ESPN is pretty pro-WSU with the “wave the flag” movement too. Some people might think it’s cheeky or getting old but it’s product placement every Saturday morning and people who care about CFB see the Coug flag and know the story. That can’t hurt if ESPN has a big say in who plays where. UCLA was pretty big nationally back in the 80s when they had the classic LA battles for the RB with USC but they haven’t really been on anyones radar for decades and chips been there long enough now that’s worn off mostly too. I would think would be at least a toss up between WSU and UCLA.

Let's not kid ourselves, with the exception of the Rose Bowl, these bowls are businesses, and for sale to the highest bidder. The TV deals are already in place. We go to Vegas if Chun is the de facto highest bidder, seeing the need to show case Dickert.

Oregon Live article seems a bit dismissive of the Cougars' chances of the Las Vegas Bowl, but it's written by the OSU beat writer. I would think Oregon State is the longest of longshots. UCLA is probably the most likely and the LV Bowl Director makes mention of the LA television market. Arizona State is in turmoil, apparently, with several players already hitting the transfer portal. Don't know what impact that has on the bowl selections, but I would hope WSU has an advantage over ASU. I think UCLA is the team to beat when it comes to Las Vegas. If so, would the Holiday Bowl choose WSU again?

Viva Las Vegas

Glad Cougar

According to the El Paso Times, the Sun Bowl chair already has us penciled in, so yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

I'll just go ahead and spare everyone my usual "El Paso sucks and so does the Sub Bowl" rant. I mean, why wouldn't I pay $800 a plane ticket to go to an anti-destination? WSU/ P12 sure knows how to reward their fans!!!

The El Paso bowl is like watching your buddy win 25k on a slot and you win the the car on the same slot but it’s a Pontiac Aztec. That bowl shouldn’t even exist.

Reactions: Cougzz
UCLA fan base underperforms at least as often as their team does. It’s really quite pathetic when it comes to football IMO.
Viewership > Attendance... Always, but getting butts in seats also plays into who is selected. Then we go back to my original question (which incorporates viewership even though not explicitly worded) essentially asking; Are the Cougs a bigger draw than UCLA?

EL Paso is not the greatest place to visit, and traveling across the border to Juarez was fun 30 years ago, under current circumstances is not a good idea. The good news is Alaska Air has direct flights there, you can fly in the day before the game and Fly out that night at 7 and be home at 10 pm, the problem is it is not cheap to fly there, that ticket is about $1600, I would assume there will be charter deals cheaper. However the Sun Bowl has over 80 years of history and has had some good programs come through there, and a majority of the games have been decided by a touchdown or less. Look at the teams that have come thru there in the last 20 years, (see link below) The other plus is the games is on 12/31, gives you something to watch on New Years Eve, it you aren't going there. I wish it was played a little later, but it has always been a midday game.
Also being on the 31st, it give the coaches time to recruit and get in extra practices, this team needs both. Also the Sun Bowl is better than no bowl, at the end of September this team was 1-3 and things were looking bleak, they turned it around and made it to a bowl. There are 6 teams in our conference going to a bowl and 6 that aren't, I glad we are 1 of the 6 that are going to a bowl. One more game against a quality opponent will do this team good. Had we simply beat Utah St and one other team along the way, our bowl options would be much better, but we are what we are.

Sun Bowl History

EL Paso is not the greatest place to visit, and traveling across the border to Juarez was fun 30 years ago, under current circumstances is not a good idea. The good news is Alaska Air has direct flights there, you can fly in the day before the game and Fly out that night at 7 and be home at 10 pm, the problem is it is not cheap to fly there, that ticket is about $1600, I would assume there will be charter deals cheaper. However the Sun Bowl has over 80 years of history and has had some good programs come through there, and a majority of the games have been decided by a touchdown or less. Look at the teams that have come thru there in the last 20 years, (see link below) The other plus is the games is on 12/31, gives you something to watch on New Years Eve, it you aren't going there. I wish it was played a little later, but it has always been a midday game.
Also being on the 31st, it give the coaches time to recruit and get in extra practices, this team needs both. Also the Sun Bowl is better than no bowl, at the end of September this team was 1-3 and things were looking bleak, they turned it around and made it to a bowl. There are 6 teams in our conference going to a bowl and 6 that aren't, I glad we are 1 of the 6 that are going to a bowl. One more game against a quality opponent will do this team good. Had we simply beat Utah St and one other team along the way, our bowl options would be much better, but we are what we are.

Sun Bowl History
Still home to Aaron Price

I don't mind the Sun Bowl. From a National standpoint, it's one of the better non NY6 bowl games as far as notoriety and opponent draw. The destination sucks, and I won't attend, but the 9:30AM kickoff doesn't bother me. Overall, I'm OK with it.

Playing in the LA Bowl on December 18th against a 12-1 SDSU in what is essentially a home game for them doesn't sound all that appealing. Send the Beavs there. :)

Haven't investigated, but flying into some other cities might be an option. Some of my family went to the Sun Bowl the last time and flew into Albuquerque, I believe -- they went to Carlsbad Caverns and did some other stuff. El Paso is "only" about 4 hours from Albuquerque, 4.5 hours from Tucson, and 6 hours from Phoenix. Probably some pretty reasonably priced flights to PHX, especially. May be the best anyone can do ... it's insane how in the middle of nowhere El Paso is.

Got a buddy from college that works for one of the bowls. He’s saying it’s likely the Sun for us. Vegas wants UCLA & Holliday wants ASU.

Likely facing one of the 6 or 7 win ACC teams. Likely Miami again, but possibly BC, Louisville or UVA.

Got a buddy from college that works for one of the bowls. He’s saying it’s likely the Sun for us. Vegas wants UCLA & Holliday wants ASU.

Likely facing one of the 6 or 7 win ACC teams. Likely Miami again, but possibly BC, Louisville or UVA.
Well, I suppose all the ACC folks consider the middle P12 teams to be garbage much like we think of their league, so at least there is mutual disgust.

Honestly, as someone who probably can’t swing a bowl (other than making the Rose happen), I just want a winnable game. If that means Sun vs an average ACC team, I’m fine.

We haven’t won an AC & Bowl in the same season since 1994.

I think this is best for the program. December 31 means WSU can take advantage of the full bowl prep. We have lots of young players that need reps to prepare for 2022. Let's the players focus on finals, then on the bowl game. The coaches can focus on recruiting up to the early signing period, then on bowl prep. And this is a more manageable opponent.

Plus, I need a new Sun Bowl T-shirt.

Win, win.

Miami isn't garbage. They won 5 of their last 6 games after inserting their freshman QB into the lineup. They'll be a tough matchup for our defense.

Miami isn't garbage. They won 5 of their last 6 games after inserting their freshman QB into the lineup. They'll be a tough matchup for our defense.
Oh yeah, super stout Miami team, winning over two 3-9, a 5-7, and a couple of 6-6 teams. They have a notable win over now 17 Pitt.

Oh, and lets not forget their diet of cupcakes Bethune-Cookman and Central Connecticut State.

I'm guessing we'll open at 14pt dogs, at least. Hell, maybe even -21pts.

Oh yeah, super stout Miami team, winning over two 3-9, a 5-7, and a couple of 6-6 teams. They have a notable win over now 17 Pitt.

Oh, and lets not forget their diet of cupcakes Bethune-Cookman and Central Connecticut State.

I'm guessing we'll open at 14pt dogs, at least. Hell, maybe even -21pts.
Who have we beaten? UW, Arizona, Oregon State, ASU, Stanford, Cal, Portland State.

Glass houses.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
P12 needs to get involved with one more NYD bowl. The Citrus and the Outback bowl are both NYD early games PT and are both B1G v SEC. P12 needs to get in on something like that

It'd be nice if there was another Fiesta Bowl type on the West Coast to have a B1G/SEC/B12 match-up.

Rose
Alamo or Citrus/Outback as 2/3
Las Vegas
Holiday
LA/Sun

Reactions: 79COUG
P12 needs to get involved with one more NYD bowl. The Citrus and the Outback bowl are both NYD early games PT and are both B1G v SEC. P12 needs to get in on something like that

It'd be nice if there was another Fiesta Bowl type on the West Coast to have a B1G/SEC/B12 match-up.

Rose
Alamo or Citrus/Outback as 2/3
Las Vegas
Holiday
LA/Sun
Disagree on that. Geography and time zones work against us. The Rose Bowl kicks off at 2:00 pm Pacific. Earlier is unlikely to draw west coast eyeballs.

New Year's Eve is the time slot I would target for a ramped up Vegas Bowl, with the #2 team from the Pac-12. 5:00 pm Pacific kickoff.

Disagree on that. Geography and time zones work against us. The Rose Bowl kicks off at 2:00 pm Pacific. Earlier is unlikely to draw west coast eyeballs.

New Year's Eve is the time slot I would target for a ramped up Vegas Bowl, with the #2 team from the Pac-12. 5:00 pm Pacific kickoff.
Vegas Bowl at that time, with an SEC team would be super awesome.

All I'm saying is the Sun Bowl feels like a punishment. There's gotta be a way to find one better bowl to drop that one.

Pretty simple, overall:

- Most of us would rather have Vegas because that is a bowl we would attend. Sun is dicier from an attendance perspective.
- Sun is used to this. Nobody really wants to attend there. And we made a good impression on the bowl committee the other two times (that says something about the apathy of other fan bases in terms of going to El Paso, doesn't it!!). So they are happy with our fan participation and our viewership (and yes, viewership matters to the Sun, because El Paso doesn't get to showcase itself very often). There is a lot to be said for going to a bowl that really wants you to be there.
- Let's also note that the Sun goes farther than many of the small bowls in terms of treating the visiting teams well. Outside of potential weather issues, it will be a good experience for team, staff, band and fans.
- Finally, and this is maybe the single biggest thing outside of simply getting to a bowl at all: the game date works well for recruiting. And pretty much every recruit we are targeting can watch this game, so anyone who is still undecided at that point will get a chance to watch some exciting football. That can't hurt, ESPECIALLY for transfer portal kids who have seen who was signed in the early period and are now evaluating where they think they will best fit a program.

I like the idea of going to a bowl that wanted us.

Vegas Bowl at that time, with an SEC team would be super awesome.

All I'm saying is the Sun Bowl feels like a punishment. There's gotta be a way to find one better bowl to drop that one.
Its the 4th best paying of our bowl tie-ins without a team playing in the playoff. Rose (undisclosed), Alamo ($8.25MM), Holiday ($6.5MM), and Sun ($4.5MM), with Vegas coming in at $2.9MM, so in that regard its not really a punishment considering how many (a lot) bowls pay considerably less (a bunch are still less than $1MM). That being said, the Sun Bowl is easily in the bottom 5 of destinations for a bowl game.

Quickly, in no order but with brief commentary:
Nassua, Bahamas (Bahamas, duh)
Orlando, FL (Disney/ Universal)
Boca Raton, FL (Miami adjacent, beach)
Albuquerque (shoulda turned left)
Shreveport, LA (looks nice, but idk)
Mobile, AL (again ignorant, but pretty sure AL is bereft of anything worthwhile)
Inglewood, CA (drivebys, shitty parking, lousy air... oh, that other stuff too)
Boise, ID (its Boise... nice outdoorsy place, some beer, but still Boise)
Frisco, TX (Dallas adjacent)
Ft Worth, TX (college town, big city, I'm sure there's stuff to do)
Tampa, FL (sun, beach)
Honolulu, HI (its hawaii, duh)
Montomery, AL (See Mobile)
Detroit, MI (poverty?)
Annapolis, MD (DC adjacent, lots of history stuff)
Birmingham, AL ( See Montgomery)
Dallas, TX (city stuff)
Memphis, TN (Memphis stuff, graceland)
Phoenix, AZ (golf)
Boston, MA (history stuff)
Bronx, NY (NY stuff)
Orlando, FL (they host two bowls, what does that tell you?)
San Antonio, TX ( riverwalk)
Charlotte, NC (not sure?)
Nashville, TN (memphis but bigger)
Altlant, GA (Big city stuff, Coca Cola)
Las Vegas, NV (what happens in vegas stays in vegas)
Jacksonville, FL (Duvallll)
El Paso, TX (... roaches and fat people)
Arlington, TX (Dallas adjacent)
Miami, FL (miami stuff)
Tampa, FL (every other city in FL got a bowl...)
Glendale, AZ (golf)
Orlando, FL (hol' up... that's 3 bowls)
Pasadena, CA (wally world)
New Orleans (food, culture, voodoo)
Houston, TX (dirty air, dirty city, but enlighten me)
Indianapolis, IN (I'm sure there is something redeeming here, but not sure what)
Santa Clara, CA (SF adjacent)
Sandiego, CA (a whales vagina)
Tucson, AZ ( mountains are nice, also golf)

Most of those cities have a ton to offer tourists, save a few.

List your bottom and top 3 objectively, then maybe a personal favorite or wishlist city.

I think objectively top 3 are: Orlando, Pasadena, tie with any city that's sunny and beach adjacent.
Bottom three: El Paso, Albuquerque, anyplace in Alabama.

Personal choice: New Orleans should be a P12 tie in just so Cougs and roll down and drink the town dry!

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Its the 4th best paying of our bowl tie-ins without a team playing in the playoff. Rose (undisclosed), Alamo ($8.25MM), Holiday ($6.5MM), and Sun ($4.5MM), with Vegas coming in at $2.9MM, so in that regard its not really a punishment considering how many (a lot) bowls pay considerably less (a bunch are still less than $1MM). That being said, the Sun Bowl is easily in the bottom 5 of destinations for a bowl game.

Quickly, in no order but with brief commentary:
Nassua, Bahamas (Bahamas, duh)
Orlando, FL (Disney/ Universal)
Boca Raton, FL (Miami adjacent, beach)
Albuquerque (shoulda turned left)
Shreveport, LA (looks nice, but idk)
Mobile, AL (again ignorant, but pretty sure AL is bereft of anything worthwhile)
Inglewood, CA (drivebys, shitty parking, lousy air... oh, that other stuff too)
Boise, ID (its Boise... nice outdoorsy place, some beer, but still Boise)
Frisco, TX (Dallas adjacent)
Ft Worth, TX (college town, big city, I'm sure there's stuff to do)
Tampa, FL (sun, beach)
Honolulu, HI (its hawaii, duh)
Montomery, AL (See Mobile)
Detroit, MI (poverty?)
Annapolis, MD (DC adjacent, lots of history stuff)
Birmingham, AL ( See Montgomery)
Dallas, TX (city stuff)
Memphis, TN (Memphis stuff, graceland)
Phoenix, AZ (golf)
Boston, MA (history stuff)
Bronx, NY (NY stuff)
Orlando, FL (they host two bowls, what does that tell you?)
San Antonio, TX ( riverwalk)
Charlotte, NC (not sure?)
Nashville, TN (memphis but bigger)
Altlant, GA (Big city stuff, Coca Cola)
Las Vegas, NV (what happens in vegas stays in vegas)
Jacksonville, FL (Duvallll)
El Paso, TX (... roaches and fat people)
Arlington, TX (Dallas adjacent)
Miami, FL (miami stuff)
Tampa, FL (every other city in FL got a bowl...)
Glendale, AZ (golf)
Orlando, FL (hol' up... that's 3 bowls)
Pasadena, CA (wally world)
New Orleans (food, culture, voodoo)
Houston, TX (dirty air, dirty city, but enlighten me)
Indianapolis, IN (I'm sure there is something redeeming here, but not sure what)
Santa Clara, CA (SF adjacent)
Sandiego, CA (a whales vagina)
Tucson, AZ ( mountains are nice, also golf)

Most of those cities have a ton to offer tourists, save a few.

List your bottom and top 3 objectively, then maybe a personal favorite or wishlist city.

I think objectively top 3 are: Orlando, Pasadena, tie with any city that's sunny and beach adjacent.
Bottom three: El Paso, Albuquerque, anyplace in Alabama.

Personal choice: New Orleans should be a P12 tie in just so Cougs and roll down and drink the town dry!
Personal preference matters a great deal for the top destinations, especially. Will give an additional shout-out for Orlando since, in addition to having a ton there to do depending on the stage of life you're in, the beaches are pretty close on both the Atlantic and Gulf sides. More of a fun place if you have kids for obvious reasons.

There also are some major differences between "I'd go to this bowl just to see this city and hit the tourist stuff once" kinds of cool destinations (e.g., Boston, I guess), and cities that I'd want to go to multiple times.

Honestly, as someone who probably can’t swing a bowl (other than making the Rose happen), I just want a winnable game. If that means Sun vs an average ACC team, I’m fine.

We haven’t won an AC & Bowl in the same season since 1994.
Would you mind asking your buddy what, exactly, makes the Sun Bowl a commodity at all? It can't be considered more prestigious back East b/c they send their barely bowl eligible teams to it regularly. What voodoo is going on to keep that bowl there, exactly? And how does a bowl game that features two average teams every year manage to get a NYE slot? Also, its actually a bowl, which is a horribly outdated way to watch a game. If you're going to host people flying across the country, at least renovate the stadium and get rid of the bowl configuration for a modern, tiered stadium with better sight lines. I mean, I just don't get it.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Would you mind asking your buddy what, exactly, makes the Sun Bowl a commodity at all? It can't be considered more prestigious back East b/c they send their barely bowl eligible teams to it regularly. What voodoo is going on to keep that bowl there, exactly? And how does a bowl game that features two average teams every year manage to get a NYE slot? Also, its actually a bowl, which is a horribly outdated way to watch a game. If you're going to host people flying across the country, at least renovate the stadium and get rid of the bowl configuration for a modern, tiered stadium with better sight lines. I mean, I just don't get it.
They get NYE because CBS still in charge, not Disney/ESPN.

Get to play a team that won't schedule WSU normally.

And for 2021, pretty unlikely an Omicron AOC variant shut down.

West coast teams in areas that did the lock down with a vengeance (or the teams had no work around or the coach took a COVIDcation) appear to have paid the price following year (this one).

You're seeing it even in the HS results.

ESPN is pretty pro-WSU with the “wave the flag” movement too. Some people might think it’s cheeky or getting old but it’s product placement every Saturday morning and people who care about CFB see the Coug flag and know the story. That can’t hurt if ESPN has a big say in who plays where. UCLA was pretty big nationally back in the 80s when they had the classic LA battles for the RB with USC but they haven’t really been on anyones radar for decades and chips been there long enough now that’s worn off mostly too. I would think would be at least a toss up between WSU and UCLA.
I'm more cynical. I think the opinions of the sports people at ESPN matter less than those of the bean counters and the marketing staff. Those ones will look at which teams will give them more advertising dollars, and the eye to the LA market will beat the entire NW market.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
I like the potential to play the ACC. Especially Miami. Its the best of both worlds with a famous name but clearly winnable. It turns the bowl into a true national game and honestly, how many ACC teams has WSU ever played?

Reactions: FnuLnu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT