ADVERTISEMENT

BR just said Rolovich

Why wouldn't he? Because when you hire someone you have trust they will hire the right people, and if they don't you make quick changes. Leach said several times level of coaching doesn't matter. Good coaches are good coaches.

What if Rolo has the next Mike Leach in mind for his OC, but coached at Central Michigan for example. You don't hire him because he doesn't coach at the "right" level?

Give me guys who eats, sleeps and breaths recruiting. It is a never ending job in Pullman.

Yes, coaches can coach, regardless of level. I'm more concerned about recruiting connections. We saw what that did for Wulff bringing in a bunch of guys who had never coached outside of Eastern Washington and didn't have enough connections in Southern CA.

Truth be told I think I was expecting a similar hire to Leach. Someone who may have burned himself out, someone like Stoops who may want something less pressure packed, someone who was mentioned from the NFL.

But often sometimes the less "sexy" hire is the best hire.

If Stoops wanted back in college football, he could probably just about name his job. He's not coming to Pullman.

I'm not sure who you're talking about regarding an NFL coach, nor do I know why you would choose to be cryptic about it.

I gotta say, I'm impressed with your intimate knowledge of Paul Wulff's professional contacts rolodex.

This is kind of an odd argument to take on. I think it's probably fairly safe to assume Wulff didn't have a large list of established coaching contacts, relative to his Pac12 counterparts at the time. He'd never coached anywhere other than EWU. Safe to assume he probably mostly knew people who had coached at EWU and some other coaches in that conference.

If Stoops wanted back in college football, he could probably just about name his job. He's not coming to Pullman.

I'm not sure who you're talking about regarding an NFL coach, nor do I know why you would choose to be cryptic about it.

Not being “cryptic” as I don’t have a name. I am referring to Jack Thompson puffing up the job. I would say Eric B would be interesting because of the Andy Reed finishing school .

The weird thing about Stoops is he said yes to the XFL. So, he doesn't seem to have high standards and really wants back into coaching.

This is kind of an odd argument to take on. I think it's probably fairly safe to assume Wulff didn't have a large list of established coaching contacts, relative to his Pac12 counterparts at the time. He'd never coached anywhere other than EWU. Safe to assume he probably mostly knew people who had coached at EWU and some other coaches in that conference.
It has more to do with Ed's comment that the very next year after he coached at WSU he made staff changes, implying that Wulff all of a sudden had a full rolodex. That, and I get annoyed with the comments that suggest we know what the coaches are thinking, their likes, dislikes, etc. And, there might be just a little bit of arguing for the sake of arguing, know what I mean? ;)

If I can even remember everybody that wasn't from Eastern- Doba helped him get Ball on board. He retained Levenseller and Broussard. No idea how (or even if) he had a connection to the OL coach from the directional Illinois school, foggy recollection that Wulff carried out interviews to fill that slot.

Basically Wulff hired one outsider.

It has more to do with Ed's comment that the very next year after he coached at WSU he made staff changes, implying that Wulff all of a sudden had a full rolodex. That, and I get annoyed with the comments that suggest we know what the coaches are thinking, their likes, dislikes, etc. And, there might be just a little bit of arguing for the sake of arguing, know what I mean? ;)

I said what ? I said Wulff had a full Rolodex? I said he made changes after his second year like Leach . I thought I made it clear Wulff did not have broad range of contacts or experience .

Mike Price brought back Joe Tiller as OC. They coached together on Sweeney's staff when Tiller was OC (and ran the damn veer!)
Doba came through Lee Corso at the last minute, Doba along with other staff got fired with Corso in Indiana and earlier along with Leon Burtnett at Purdue.
Two of Price's GAs in 1989 were Greg Olson (current Oakland Raiders OC and holdover from Erickson) and Kevin Sumlin (Houston, TAM, and UA head coach)
Tim Lappano was only WSU coach Erickson didn't take with him to Miami (besides John L. who just got UI gig)
Mike Zimmer was the DC and main Weber State guy.
They got badly outcoached at times in 1989 (by Price's own admission) but would've had bowl game under modern set up.

Jim Livengood wanted Ray Door instead (who later died of ALS [CTE]) and boosters had a fit.
Two QBs that Price was supposed to inherit from Erickson were Rosenbach (already academic casualty despite being son of AD employees) and Aaron Garcia (Erickson's main recruit). That didnt work out. (Garcia made more money in pro football than Rosie did)

Is your discussion whether Price has good assistants or is it that most of his initial staff were with him at Weber?

I said what ? I said Wulff had a full Rolodex? I said he made changes after his second year like Leach . I thought I made it clear Wulff did not have broad range of contacts or experience .

Wulff didn’t make changes until year 4 when Moos made him.

Is your discussion whether Price has good assistants or is it that most of his initial staff were with him at Weber?
Most of his key staff besides Zimmer weren't Weber guys (but the Weber guys did "OK" in the end). They still got their nose bloodied Year 1 - the off the field stuff was more the fault of Livengood, the rest of the AD, Walden, the players and Erickson - quite the distraction but in-game coaching was an issue that year.

Probably the best WSU staff based on future resumes although all those pass happy guys (Jack Elway, Mike Price, Joe Tiller and Jim Sweeney himself) running the veer in the early 70s looks untimely in hindsight.

Wulff didn’t make changes until year 4 when Moos made him.
Oh I thought he changed out his staff like the Oline after year two and a coach like Steve Morton came along. Wulff wasn't forced to do anything, he did it to try and improve his staff...just like when Breske was let go...and Valero.

If I can even remember everybody that wasn't from Eastern- Doba helped him get Ball on board. He retained Levenseller and Broussard. No idea how (or even if) he had a connection to the OL coach from the directional Illinois school, foggy recollection that Wulff carried out interviews to fill that slot.

Basically Wulff hired one outsider.
Harold Etheridge coached with Travis Niekamp & Jody Sears at Army.

George Yarno wanted to stay on (according to articles at the time) but he allegedly clashed with Rosie who was under consideration for WR coach until late in the process.

Rosie stays and the "Blame Doba" campaign gets complicated....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT