ADVERTISEMENT

Brink or Swogger?

That '05 team was horrible defensively. Not Wulff horrible, but pretty damn bad. I went to the Oregon State game. It was the beginning of the end and a preview of what was to come.

I was at that game as well. Crazy game....maybe even crazier weather pattern. Sunny and warm one minute, freezing my ass off the next.

Of course, the pick six didn't help matters.

Last edited:
Yea that was Rogers. So they yanked him out and put Brink back in after that drive?

Yeah..and everyone was like WTF?! I even called the coaches show on that one and Doba just said we wanted to see what Brink could do out there.

Head Smack.

Rogers really got screwed. I never felt like he was given a fair shot.

Swogger wasn't very accurate. Threw behind receivers a lot...but Rogers, as you can tell by the video had a really nice release.

Alex Brink did not cost WSU the Apple Cup his junior year. The defense was horrible and WSU gave a crappy Mutt team four scoring plays of 80 yards or more. WSU had to play a 3 - 4 defense that day because of injuries and the week side backer never stayed home and the Cougs got torched. No way in hell you can blame that loss on Brink.

Brink had the ball late with the opportunity to tie/win. They were home and played against an opponent on a 6 game losing streak, Brink couldn't get the job done. And against that bad UW team, Brinks offense was only able to score 25 points because that terrible D was able to score a touchdown.

I do agree Brink got more out of his physical abilities than than any QB in school history other than Gesser. The problem was his deficiencies always reared their ugly head in crunch time.

That '05 team was horrible defensively. Not Wulff horrible, but pretty damn bad. I went to the Oregon State game. It was the beginning of the end and a preview of what was to come.
How odd is it that we're referring to a defense that had Bruce, Ropati, Derting and Abdullah as "horrible"?

Yeah..and everyone was like WTF?! I even called the coaches show on that one and Doba just said we wanted to see what Brink could do out there.

Head Smack.

Swogger wasn't very accurate. Threw behind receivers a lot...but Rogers, as you can tell by the video had a really nice release.
My recollection of Swogger is largely based on the one game I saw him play live, I think it was the Colorado game in Seattle. I remember a ton of dropped balls by the receivers in that game and felt the inability to score prior to Brink coming into the game was not close to being all Swogger's fault. Of course, that was just one game. Brink came in and nearly pulled off the comeback but also made it harder on himself by throwing a 3rd quarter pick six. Colorado scored its 2 TDs with that pick six & a blocked punt.

I just found the box score. Colorado only had 117 yards on offense. The Buffs QB was held to just 78 yards passing. His name? Joel Klatt. I also remember their great kicker drilling a couple of long FGs. It was Mason Crosby, still playing for Green Bay.

By the way, Swogger was 6-27 for 77 yards in that game.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: spongeworthy12

Head Smack.

I have never seen a player produce so much with such little opportunity. I have never seen a player get so screwed over either.

After that season if he sent film to every P5 school... he has multiple offers in hand. The transfer portal would've blown up for him had it been available.

Conversely, I have never seen QBs get soooo many opportunities than at WSU. Brink and Tuel.

Reactions: spongeworthy12
I have never seen a player produce so much with such little opportunity. I have never seen a player get so screwed over either.

After that season if he sent film to every P5 school... he has multiple offers in hand. The transfer portal would've blown up for him had it been available.

Conversely, I have never seen QBs get soooo many opportunities than at WSU. Brink and Tuel.

Exactly.

All Rogers did was go into a hostile environment, take the anemic offense that day 90 yds...and then get rewarded by being benched.

That was garbage.

I was really surprised we never heard a peep from him. I wouldn't have been mad had he given Rosie the middle finger.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
The knock on Rogers was that he took big hits in the pocket. As I recall, he got knocked out of the Cal game in 2006 after taking a big hit and of course, he suffered a broken neck in 2008. Rogers had a lot of potential and wasn't guilty of the poor passing touch like Swogger but he just didn't have a good sense when opposing rushers were getting to him....or too tough to realize he needed to save himself.

The knock on Rogers was that he took big hits in the pocket. As I recall, he got knocked out of the Cal game in 2006 after taking a big hit and of course, he suffered a broken neck in 2008. Rogers had a lot of potential and wasn't guilty of the poor passing touch like Swogger but he just didn't have a good sense when opposing rushers were getting to him....or too tough to realize he needed to save himself.
Big difference in those seasons. The 2008' offense was unrecognizable to anyone in Div I football. One of the absolute worst ever. Prayers from the Pope couldn't save him on 08'.

Brink had the ball late with the opportunity to tie/win. They were home and played against an opponent on a 6 game losing streak, Brink couldn't get the job done. And against that bad UW team, Brinks offense was only able to score 25 points because that terrible D was able to score a touchdown.

I do agree Brink got more out of his physical abilities than than any QB in school history other than Gesser. The problem was his deficiencies always reared their ugly head in crunch time.
Not always. I was at The AC in 07 I think...Brink to Gibson. He was masterful in that game. I guess that UW D kinda sucked though.

Not always. I was at The AC in 07 I think...Brink to Gibson. He was masterful in that game. I guess that UW D kinda sucked though.

Yeah that was the 07 AC.

He stunk it up in the first quarter...then started throwing "lasers"

I was like where the hell has that been? He seriously made some NFL throws that game that I've never seen him make. Chris Ivory also went off.

And to your point, he also engineered the game winning drive in the 2005 Apple Cup.

2dbdbbd687e74d2d8c0bb9dfc03abf54.jpg

My recollection of Swogger is largely based on the one game I saw him play live, I think it was the Colorado game in Seattle. I remember a ton of dropped balls by the receivers in that game and felt the inability to score prior to Brink coming into the game was not close to being all Swogger's fault. Of course, that was just one game. Brink came in and nearly pulled off the comeback but also made it harder on himself by throwing a 3rd quarter pick six. Colorado scored its 2 TDs with that pick six & a blocked punt.

I just found the box score. Colorado only had 117 yards on offense. The Buffs QB was held to just 78 yards passing. His name? Joel Klatt. I also remember their great kicker drilling a couple of long FGs. It was Mason Crosby, still playing for Green Bay.

By the way, Swogger was 6-27 for 77 yards in that game.

Glad Cougar

I was at that game too...and pretty much remember the same things you did. I've never seen so many dropped passes in my life...and a Jason Hanson (almost) equivalent for Colorado booting fgs.

I don't think Swogger ever started again if I'm not mistaken.

And yet it was. Frampton made like 5 touchdown saving tackles a game, minimum

Swogger was very similar to Eason. Had no touch and threw rockets to the receivers even when they were only 10 yards away. Threw a really uncatchable ball and that is why he had so many drops, similar to how Eason was this past year.

(Falk)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT