ADVERTISEMENT

But what about Baynes?

Aron does certain things very well, and it is pretty clear that most NBA centers don't do as well. Sure, he is typically a back up, but he gets more minutes than most back ups at that position, and he is on the floor for key possessions...a pretty key indicator of his coach's opinion.

At the top of his list is the willingness to work harder than most. Good lesson for us all.

Loyal:

Your unwavering support of a former WSU basketball player — and one with a NBA career scoring average less than 6 no less — is both peculiar and admirable.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out why you — seemingly a unrelenting stickler for following each and every rule — continuously post your Aron Baynes updates on the football board.

Can you clarify?

QUOTE]

I'm not sure what is so peculiar about following the pro career of a Coug. Lots of Cougs follow Klay, and also our handful of NFL Cougs. And our MLB Baseball Cou…...oh never mind there.

I post stuff on this board because it is the most trafficked board. If it is about the Cougs BB program per se, I post there.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Loyal:

Your unwavering support of a former WSU basketball player — and one with a NBA career scoring average less than 6 no less — is both peculiar and admirable.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out why you — seemingly a unrelenting stickler for following each and every rule — continuously post your Aron Baynes updates on the football board.

Can you clarify?

Wonder if Baynes keeps his window blinds down ...
IMG_4492.jpg

Reactions: chipdouglas
So Baynesie is off to Phoenix. Will back up last years #1 pick, Ayton from Arizona. That works. Will likely get to see more games than with Boston.

And just to make a point - one of our Cougars on the front page of ESPN. Nothing wrong with some press.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27020691/celts-send-c-baynes-24th-pick-suns

The interwebs are saying that Ainge and Co did him dirty. Like, really dirty.

He only agreed to stay with the opt-in deal (after Irving/ Horford walked) on the promise that they would trade him to a contender. In case you're not an NBA guy, the Suns are about as far away from contending as you can get.

Last edited:

Absolutely not true. It’s a business. Once Horford started chattering about leaving Boston (after maintaining that he’d stay in Boston), the Celtics had to make roster decisions. Baynes was a nice compliment to Horford, as they’re both half court players. With Horford out, it makes more sense to build a more uptempo front court now.

With Kyrie and Horford out, they’ll be able to pursue a max contract free agent if they desire and/or continue to build one of the youngest rosters in the NBA. They can go in multiple directions now.

Baynes will continue to make nice money, and will likely get more minutes in Phoenix. Cost of living will be much better too.

Absolutely not true. It’s a business. Once Horford started chattering about leaving Boston (after maintaining that he’d stay in Boston), the Celtics had to make roster decisions. Baynes was a nice compliment to Horford, as they’re both half court players. With Horford out, it makes more sense to build a more uptempo front court now.

With Kyrie and Horford out, they’ll be able to pursue a max contract free agent if they desire and/or continue to build one of the youngest rosters in the NBA. They can go in multiple directions now.

Baynes will continue to make nice money, and will likely get more minutes in Phoenix. Cost of living will be much better too.

Well yeah, except for the part where they said they'd send him to a contender, and instead they sent him to the shittiest team in the league.

Shame on Baynes for trusting the worst front office in the league, but trying to spin it as anything other than a dirty double-cross is not being truthful with yourself.

And good luck getting a max contract free agent when you've proven that you've no interest in taking care of your players.

Well yeah, except for the part where they said they'd send him to a contender, and instead they sent him to the shittiest team in the league.

Shame on Baynes for trusting the worst front office in the league, but trying to spin it as anything other than a dirty double-cross is not being truthful with yourself.

And good luck getting a max contract free agent when you've proven that you've no interest in taking care of your players.

Boston owed him nothing. A dirty double cross? If that’s the case, what was Kyrie’s?

It’s a business. They traded a backup post player. It’s nothing more than a faint ripple in the pond.

True he is but a journey man type of player.The elite teams do not need a player like Baynes and i am sure they passed on him. He has made a very good living and should be able to play a couple of more years.

If a commitment was made to an employee and not honored, it is certainly possible to hide behind statements such as "it's a business". But that doesn't change the fact that a commitment was not honored. In any sort of small industry (and the NBA is a good example of a small industry), your word and reputation are what enable you to attract and keep the best people. Expediency can sometimes make that difficult, but choosing to do something at odds with what you promised will eventually catch up to you...because any choice that requires believing what you are told by someone who has a track record of telling folks what they want to hear and then doing otherwise is likely to be viewed through jaundiced eyes.

He only agreed to stay with the opt-in deal (after Irving/ Horford walked) on the promise that they would trade him to a contender. In case you're not an NBA guy, the Suns are about as far away from contending as you can get.

What if no contenders wanted him...then what?

If a commitment was made to an employee and not honored, it is certainly possible to hide behind statements such as "it's a business". But that doesn't change the fact that a commitment was not honored. In any sort of small industry (and the NBA is a good example of a small industry), your word and reputation are what enable you to attract and keep the best people. Expediency can sometimes make that difficult, but choosing to do something at odds with what you promised will eventually catch up to you...because any choice that requires believing what you are told by someone who has a track record of telling folks what they want to hear and then doing otherwise is likely to be viewed through jaundiced eyes.

Hmmm....maybe I am desensitized to it, that I have a very jaded attitude. First, I would like to think everyone honors their word. But in the sports profession coaches are fired after two years if there is not a turn around. You realize if coach K was coming up in this environment he would have been either on the hot seat or fired? Bill Bellichik was fired.

In terms of Baynes, he got his money was was dealt. Such is the life of an NBA player. He gets his money. And to be honest he will be dealt later in the year when a contender needs to get minutes from a post and the new team needs his body for match up reasons in the playoffs.

don't you remember Price telling Trufant he gets a look at RB, or how many wr's did he recruit that he told would play wr and he would move them to the other side of the ball. Wulff did as well. Heck, Leach told Cole he would give him a shot at WR.

Stuff happens. Baynes will end up just fine.

I assume Boston would say we did our best but couldn't find a taker. In the end if Boston promised they would deal him to a "contender" there's really no way they could guarantee they would hold up their end. At the end of the day they are going to act in their own best interest and make the best deal. Baynes and his agent should have known better.

As dgib posted, go for the $$$s.

I assume Boston would say we did our best but couldn't find a taker. In the end if Boston promised they would deal him to a "contender" there's really no way they could guarantee they would hold up their end. At the end of the day they are going to act in their own best interest and make the best deal. Baynes and his agent should have known better.

As dgib posted, go for the $$$s.

Baynes had the player option at $5.9 million. He took it. Had he not, he would have been a free agent and might very well have gotten no offers elsewhere (doubtful but possible). Sounds like the poor treatment is all about Boston allegedly promising not to trade him, then turning around and trading him. Baynes wanted to stay in Boston in his new house with his young family. He was a fan favorite, and a solid team player who brought maturity, toughness and effort to a club that really needs it now.

So signing the option was the right move, promises or not. If Boston assured it by their promises, then bad on them.

Baynes had the player option at $5.9 million. He took it. Had he not, he would have been a free agent and might very well have gotten no offers elsewhere (doubtful but possible). Sounds like the poor treatment is all about Boston allegedly promising not to trade him, then turning around and trading him. Baynes wanted to stay in Boston in his new house with his young family. He was a fan favorite, and a solid team player who brought maturity, toughness and effort to a club that really needs it now.

So signing the option was the right move, promises or not. If Boston assured it by their promises, then bad on them.
That makes more sense. I not sure why any team would promise to not trade a player. It’s not a promise you can really expect to be kept. I liked Baynes in Boston but he’s done a nice job sticking around in the NBA. I’m sure they will like him in Phoenix as well.

One thing seems pretty likely; barring health issues (and cross your fingers, Aron is pretty robust), he will get a lot of PT in Phoenix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT