ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron Ward gets the offer

When the pass rush is coming or the coverage is smothering, it’s time to tuck and run forward for yards. Turning the play into street ball by scrambling all over desperately is crap. The defense beat you in protection and coverage. The qb has to commit to moving the ball forward as a runner. Continuing the play as a passer is a low percentage bet.

Reactions: sellas
Except Russel Wilson doesn't run backwards, and take bigger sacks because he ran backwards
Right after JDL took that sack for a big loss I texted in my family chat, "Looks like we got that play from the Seahawks. JDL looks like Wilson out there". The responses were all in agreement.

Russel Wilson runs backwards and takes deep sacks all the time, in fact a 14 yard sack just 2 weeks ago caused them to miss a field goal against the Bears, he doesn't take that sack and they win.
Do you watch the games? Tell me what happened on a game winning field goal that was a 25 yard chip to a 42 yard kick. He was Barbecued in the Seattle media for that play against the bears .

Taking the occasional 3 to 9 yard sacks in that offense is not the same as running backwards, and because of that taking 17 to 27 yards sacks like JDL.

If JDL would stop running backwards and either take the 3 to 5 to 7 to 9 yard sacks, or step up into pocket for a 4.5 yard sacks, or scramble forward for a 2 yard sacks, or throw ball out of bounds, etc, instead of running backwards for 17 to 27 yard sacks that would be a lot better.

2nd or 3rd down and 30 to 40 yards to go because you ran backwards took a 27 yard sacks, is extremely bad.

2nd, 3rd and 7 to 10 to 13, because you either threw ball out of bounds, way the heck past WR, into nothing but green grass, no defenders, an or taking the 3 to 5 to 7 yard sack, instead of running backwards for a 27 yard sack like JDL, is a LOT better, more acceptable
When did deLaura ever take a 27 yard sack?

I'm not going to go through every play, but the lowest amount of rushing yardage he had in a game is -24 yards on 2 carries in the SB.

To compare, Ward had -59 yards against McNeese, including a 22 yard sack. He also threw 3 pics in that game.

Your entire premise in this thread is disingenuous at best.

Except Russel Wilson doesn't run backwards, and take bigger sacks because he ran backwards
Watch the Bears game where his taking a sack on 3rd down in easy field goal range, led to a tougher field goal attempt that went just wide.

JDL's performance is not above criticism and his tendency to bail out of the pocket is certainly a fair criticism. Still, he was the Pac-12's offensive freshman of the year and deserved it. No transfer coming into the program is going to beat him out for the starting job. Yes we need to bring someone in for depth. The times he was out of the line up this year (2nd half of USC game, the Utah game and the 2nd half of the Sun Bowl) were not pretty. The Sun Bowl also proved we need to bring in some Oline transfers that can play right away. I think it would be a mistake for JDL to seek supposively greener pastures and I also think we would look back on such a move with great regret.

JDL's performance is not above criticism and his tendency to bail out of the pocket is certainly a fair criticism. Still, he was the Pac-12's offensive freshman of the year and deserved it. No transfer coming into the program is going to beat him out for the starting job. Yes we need to bring someone in for depth. The times he was out of the line up this year (2nd half of USC game, the Utah game and the 2nd half of the Sun Bowl) were not pretty. The Sun Bowl also proved we need to bring in some Oline transfers that can play right away. I think it would be a mistake for JDL to seek supposively greener pastures and I also think we would look back on such a move with great regret.

You get 7 transfers in addition to the 25 limit. They cant take all transfers. At some point they have to coach.

Don’t wanna have issues with the OL? Maybe 7 kids to play half the offense in 2 friggin’ classes isn’t enough???

You get 7 transfers in addition to the 25 limit. They cant take all transfers. At some point they have to coach.

Don’t wanna have issues with the OL? Maybe 7 kids to play half the offense in 2 friggin’ classes isn’t enough???
On this point Biggs I completely agree with you. Still, the question becomes how to fix an immediate problem. Maybe they have Oline people who can step up but Hilborn wasn't impressive in his Ist start. I don't no how many transfers we have already taken but with what's left I would advocate for an Oline man, a QB and possibly a running back.

JDL took reps behind that offensive line configuration leading up to the game. I think it's fair to say that after the first couple of practice dummy shots he took, his worst fears were confirmed. I've watched Russell Wilson have similar games behind the Seahawks matador offensive line.
My biggest criticism of the coaching performance in the Sun Bowl is that they took too long to make OL changes. The Hilborn experiment was clearly not working by the end of our 2nd series. There were a couple of plays where he couldn't even turn his head fast enough to keep track of the rusher, forget about his feet. He should have gone to the bench after giving up the big hit on JDL...if not before.

Reactions: earldacoug
On this point Biggs I completely agree with you. Still, the question becomes how to fix an immediate problem. Maybe they have Oline people who can step up but Hilborn wasn't impressive in his Ist start. I don't no how many transfers we have already taken but with what's left I would advocate for an Oline man, a QB and possibly a running back.
Multiple OL. If Hilborn is the reserve who is closest to being ready to play, we need more. A QB is also a clear need, although I think we're fine taking one that only has 1-2 to play. I'd rather go with a HS RB, but based on Watson's inability to block, I think we're forced to look for a transfer option. The fact that they wouldn't even give Bazil a look when we were down 2 RBs also doesn't give much confidence in our backfield depth.

I think our transfer targets should be 3 OL, 1 QB, 1-2 RB. Wouldn't mind seeing a DT either.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Multiple OL. If Hilborn is the reserve who is closest to being ready to play, we need more. A QB is also a clear need, although I think we're fine taking one that only has 1-2 to play. I'd rather go with a HS RB, but based on Watson's inability to block, I think we're forced to look for a transfer option. The fact that they wouldn't even give Bazil a look when we were down 2 RBs also doesn't give much confidence in our backfield depth.

I think our transfer targets should be 3 OL, 1 QB, 1-2 RB. Wouldn't mind seeing a DT either.

Too late. They have a safety and a linebacker. Offers to tight ends…

If you can’t block your offense is fuc$ed.

He’s thinking of the 3 and 30’s where half of the loss was false starts and holding calls.
There was also a play where he had no pressure and backpedaled like 25 yards. He played like shit. It’s ok to say it. Doesn’t mean he’s a shitty QB.

The offensive line declined so much in the last two years. Yet we had 4-of-5 starters back including an NFL pick.

Poor player development & Rolo signed how many OL kids in two recruiting cycles?

TOTAL REBUILD

It may be important to factor in that JDL "knows, understands, is more familiar with" his returning receivers and Pac-12/Power-5/FBS football. Of course, Cam Ward is able to get familiar and comfortable with those things but I suspect JDL is capable of learning Eric Morris' version of the offense before next fall. I think I've said all I can about this topic until we know where Ward ends up.

Glad Cougar
Ward's mechanics look light years ahead of JDL's. If he come here and we're running the Coug raid, its hard to not see Ward as the favorite going into camp.

That being said, I still think JDL has the biggest upside because of his intangibles, but he has to really work on not taking 10+ yard losses and his poor throwing technique. Air Raid requires the ball to get to where it needs to be in a timely manner or you give the defense a chance to read and react.

Reactions: mikalalas
Ward's mechanics look light years ahead of JDL's. If he come here and we're running the Coug raid, its hard to not see Ward as the favorite going into camp.

That being said, I still think JDL has the biggest upside because of his intangibles, but he has to really work on not taking 10+ yard losses and his poor throwing technique. Air Raid requires the ball to get to where it needs to be in a timely manner or you give the defense a chance to read and react.
His high school film was really good as well. Don't know how they missed him.

Well, he wrapped up his visit to Pullman today and is reportedly down to 4 schools. Might decide this weekend.

When the pass rush is coming or the coverage is smothering, it’s time to tuck and run forward for yards. Turning the play into street ball by scrambling all over desperately is crap. The defense beat you in protection and coverage. The qb has to commit to moving the ball forward as a runner. Continuing the play as a passer is a low percentage bet.
Too many kids watching old Fran Tarkington clips...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT