ADVERTISEMENT

Campus during last home games

Coug90

Hall Of Fame
Jan 17, 2012
Every building should be locked 30 minutes before Gametime. The library, Every fraternity, sorority, the CUB, every college hill bar (maybe 5 min before Gametime 😊). Note on the door - why are you here, go to the game!

Won’t happen but that the kind of culture that needs to be built asap.

Bronny James is a social media star. That may bring a few more out Thursday night.

Every building should be locked 30 minutes before Gametime. The library, Every fraternity, sorority, the CUB, every college hill bar (maybe 5 min before Gametime 😊). Note on the door - why are you here, go to the game!

Won’t happen but that the kind of culture that needs to be built asap.
I see the mutt game will be on a Thursday night. What brainiac came up with that instead of Saturday?

Our TV Overlords
I'm not so sure about that. It appears that most everyone else finishes the regular season on Saturday the 9th. Yes we are on FS1, but was it TV that dictated, or our DumbF*** administrators or the Pac-12 itself that said sure, put us on Thursday for a few extra sheckles and in doing so F our attendance? I'm pretty sure that the schools and the league determine league schedules in BB.

I'm not so sure about that. It appears that most everyone else finishes the regular season on Saturday the 9th. Yes we are on FS1, but was it TV that dictated, or our DumbF*** administrators or the Pac-12 itself that said sure, put us on Thursday for a few extra sheckles and in doing so F our attendance? I'm pretty sure that the schools and the league determine league schedules in BB.
You bitch about attendance, how many games have you attended

You bitch about attendance, how many games have you attended
Historically? Shitloads. Had season BB tickets for quite a few years. Kind of lost interest after moving out of town and suffering through the Bone and Kent years. Might try to meander over for one of these last 3. And yeah, in YakiVegas I am close enough. But more than twice as far away as Spokane, and a lot farther than the rest of E. Washington and Moscow and Lewiston where a lot of Coug staff and faculty live. And about 200 miles farther than the 20,000 students on campus.

But yes, point taken.

Historically? Shitloads. Had season BB tickets for quite a few years. Kind of lost interest after moving out of town and suffering through the Bone and Kent years. Might try to meander over for one of these last 3. And yeah, in YakiVegas I am close enough. But more than twice as far away as Spokane, and a lot farther than the rest of E. Washington and Moscow and Lewiston where a lot of Coug staff and faculty live. And about 200 miles farther than the 20,000 students on campus.

But yes, point taken.
I had season tiks for football, 23 years, the wulff era broke my spirit, that and the 2009 recession altering my inxome severly. I missed maybe 7 or 8 home games during those years. Good times still make once or twice a year. 360 miles each way

Reactions: 79COUG and Coug90
If people don't show up its because they don't want to, not because its on a Thursday. "Coug" nation has voted with their asses and have elected to not have them in seats at Beasley, for whatever reason, regardless of the day or time.

Lots to rag about with the athletic department, but what day a game is on isn't one of them.

Reactions: Coug90
If people don't show up its because they don't want to, not because its on a Thursday. "Coug" nation has voted with their asses and have elected to not have them in seats at Beasley, for whatever reason, regardless of the day or time.

Lots to rag about with the athletic department, but what day a game is on isn't one of them.
Fair point, now how do you have people “want” to be there. You have 8500 students that can get in for free and 7000 of them choose to scroll through tik tok on their phones instead. You have 30K people in the town who can get in for $15, and would rather watch Golden Girls reruns. The AD and marketing need to create a culture YESTERDAY that says…”you are a frickin loser and are missing out if you aren’t at Beasley at X time”. Get creative. Do something. It’s inexcusable to not have 8K+ for a top 20 NCAA tourney bound team.

I don’t even like basketball and I’ll drive 3+ hours round trip to support this program.

Fair point, now how do you have people “want” to be there. You have 8500 students that can get in for free and 7000 of them choose to scroll through tik tok on their phones instead. You have 30K people in the town who can get in for $15, and would rather watch Golden Girls reruns. The AD and marketing need to create a culture YESTERDAY that says…”you are a frickin loser and are missing out if you aren’t at Beasley at X time”. Get creative. Do something. It’s inexcusable to not have 8K+ for a top 20 NCAA tourney bound team.

I don’t even like basketball and I’ll drive 3+ hours round trip to support this program.
Also, Bleed said:

Ok guys, this is silly talk. For starters, I don't disagree on the students. I think we sell more than 8,500 student passes, although to be fair I'm sure quite a few of those are just FB fans. But yes their support is lacking, and I blame some of that on Athletics and some on student (esp. Greek) leadership.

There are not 30,000 "people" in Pullman. After subtracting students, there are probably 15,000 (I would actually guess less than that). A lot of people could give a shit about sports, period.

As far as the day of the game, c'mon. Much as we all love to rank on Spokane, shitloads of them come to games. Saturday afternoon is a helluva lot more doable, especially in early Feb, than a Thursday evening. afternoon. That just a fact.

Same way they did it for Stanford in ‘97. You fabricate some anonymous donor and you give away the tickets for free.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Also, Bleed said:

Ok guys, this is silly talk. For starters, I don't disagree on the students. I think we sell more than 8,500 student passes, although to be fair I'm sure quite a few of those are just FB fans. But yes their support is lacking, and I blame some of that on Athletics and some on student (esp. Greek) leadership.

There are not 30,000 "people" in Pullman. After subtracting students, there are probably 15,000 (I would actually guess less than that). A lot of people could give a shit about sports, period.

As far as the day of the game, c'mon. Much as we all love to rank on Spokane, shitloads of them come to games. Saturday afternoon is a helluva lot more doable, especially in early Feb, than a Thursday evening. afternoon. That just a fact.

It's pretty damned embarrassing to see the attendance at our men's games right now. If 5% of the general population of Pullman were to show up, 10% of the students and 0.5% of Spokane's population took the time to come to games, that would add up to 6,350 per game (750 + 2600+3000). A lot of WSU folks live in Moscow as well. Including Lewiston, Clarkston and other podunk towns, there's actually 150,000 people living within 30 miles of Pullman. If 1% of those people show up....it gets us to around 7,500 people per game.

There's really no excuse for us to have the terrible attendance we've been seeing.

It's pretty damned embarrassing to see the attendance at our men's games right now. If 5% of the general population of Pullman were to show up, 10% of the students and 0.5% of Spokane's population took the time to come to games, that would add up to 6,350 per game (750 + 2600+3000). A lot of WSU folks live in Moscow as well. Including Lewiston, Clarkston and other podunk towns, there's actually 150,000 people living within 30 miles of Pullman. If 1% of those people show up....it gets us to around 7,500 people per game.

There's really no excuse for us to have the terrible attendance we've been seeing.

WSU has one of the, if not the most APATHETIC fan bases in all of college sports.

Heck, Big Bend Community College, usually had about 2500 fans attend their bball games. That's WSU level attendance. It's Embarrassing, when a SMALL TOWN COMMUNITY COLLEGE has either almost as good, equal or better attendance then WSU.

The only time WSU fans seem to come out in droves for, in bball is for a bball level equivalent to a, the College GAMEDAY coming to Pullman, etc.

Part of that is on the fans. Part of that is on the athletic dept, AD, marketing dept, etc.

WSU seemingly has the most fairweather, bandwagon, APATHETIC CULTURE, fan bases, etc, in college sports, basketball, etc.

Reactions: froropmkr72
I think its also sad that Smith has been putting out a competitive brand of basketball and still fans don't care.

I will say that the portal wrecks havoc on the casual fan trying to keep up with who's on the team. It really takes away from the connection that fans get from cheering on their favorite player(s) when they bail after one year. We've always had a more casual fan base than a lot of the mbb schools, but you know what... that's not my problem its the ADs and its their problem to try to figure out a way to combat it. Again, heaven forbid you do any sort of marketing but what do I know...

Reactions: acgcoug
I think its also sad that Smith has been putting out a competitive brand of basketball and still fans don't care.

I will say that the portal wrecks havoc on the casual fan trying to keep up with who's on the team. It really takes away from the connection that fans get from cheering on their favorite player(s) when they bail after one year. We've always had a more casual fan base than a lot of the mbb schools, but you know what... that's not my problem its the ADs and its their problem to try to figure out a way to combat it. Again, heaven forbid you do any sort of marketing but what do I know...
According to the stats site, basketball has drawn 39,294 people to 14 games. 2,807 per game.

Looking at the MBB media guide, this is the 7th lowest average attendance since Friel opened (1973):

YearAvg AttendanceRecord at home
2001-0222926-8
2018-1922939-7
2002-0323106-8
2016-1727437-8
2013-1427697-7
2017-1828018-7
2023-24280713-1

Things I note looking at the attendance history:
- All of the lowest 7 years are since 2000. 5 of the lowest 7 are since 2015.
- Average attendance at all games since 1973 is 4,859. But attendance has not averaged that high for a single season since 2012-13...and has only exceeded that level 7 times since 2000.

Seasons with highest attendance:
1976-7793858-2
2007-0892379-4
1979-80847712-1
1978-7982387-3
1995-9681079-3
2008-0980189-7

Stadium seats 11,671 now. All 10 of the highest attendance games exceed that...and the most recent of those was in March 1983. I suspect capacity was higher then. Can't tell when the last time we had a sellout was.

Also, Bleed said:

That is not true.

Unless you mean a few hundred... Spokane doesn't send shit for fans to our home games. Unless it's Gonzaga

That is not true.

Unless you mean a few hundred... Spokane doesn't send shit for fans to our home games. Unless it's Gonzaga
And you know that how? And with our attendance a few hundred is sort of shitloads :). But I suppose you could ask me the same thing in reverse.

Regardless, attendance on Saturdays (almost?) always trumps Thursday attendance. I suppose I could use that as an argument about Spokane. They are the ones who pad the seats on Saturdays? So no, the mutt game should have been scheduled for Saturday. I don't really know how or why anyone would argue differently.

That is not true.

The thing that nauseates me more than anything else is the group of front running WSU fans that root for Gonzaga. One of the Top 100 happiest days of my life is going to be the one where Mark Few retires and that school goes in the toilet where it deserves to be. I was introduced to the arrogance and sleaziness of Gonzaga in the early 90's long before Few was there. Nobody in their right mind should root for those D-bags.

Reactions: acgcoug
According to the stats site, basketball has drawn 39,294 people to 14 games. 2,807 per game.

Looking at the MBB media guide, this is the 7th lowest average attendance since Friel opened (1973):

YearAvg AttendanceRecord at home
2001-0222926-8
2018-1922939-7
2002-0323106-8
2016-1727437-8
2013-1427697-7
2017-1828018-7
2023-24280713-1

Things I note looking at the attendance history:
- All of the lowest 7 years are since 2000. 5 of the lowest 7 are since 2015.
- Average attendance at all games since 1973 is 4,859. But attendance has not averaged that high for a single season since 2012-13...and has only exceeded that level 7 times since 2000.

Seasons with highest attendance:
1976-7793858-2
2007-0892379-4
1979-80847712-1
1978-7982387-3
1995-9681079-3
2008-0980189-7

Stadium seats 11,671 now. All 10 of the highest attendance games exceed that...and the most recent of those was in March 1983. I suspect capacity was higher then. Can't tell when the last time we had a sellout was.
Enlighting stats (unfortunately). And the recent Stanford game is the only real "gem", and is still only 5,671. So winning hasn't helped much. Those low attendance seasons include Ernie Kent's last 3 years and Ken Bone's last year. Kent really screwed us - thanks Bill Moos.

High years of course are the Raveling, Bennett and 1 Sampson (?) year. Raveling of course was worth the price of admission all by himself, and also had exciting players and teams. And won, and most games were not on TV (something that is certainly a factor in more recent years).

Enlighting stats (unfortunately). And the recent Stanford game is the only real "gem", and is still only 5,671. So winning hasn't helped much. Those low attendance seasons include Ernie Kent's last 3 years and Ken Bone's last year. Kent really screwed us - thanks Bill Moos.

High years of course are the Raveling, Bennett and 1 Sampson (?) year. Raveling of course was worth the price of admission all by himself, and also had exciting players and teams. And won, and most games were not on TV (something that is certainly a factor in more recent years).

The TV exposure definitely hurts us in terms of attendance and it's undoubtedly the biggest factor in our attendance decline. That said, it's the university's job to make the experience worth the trouble for people outside of Pullman to fight the traffic and spend the money. That includes a fun product to watch and a good environment to watch it in. It's tough.

In 2022, we weren't last but next to last in the conference. Definitely deeper issues. Social media like TikTok doesn't help with attention span. I think we will draw into the 6K this week, although sounds like weather could impact things.

1. Arizona - 14,115
2. UCLA - 9,276
3. ASU - 8,071
4. dub - 6,992
5. Utah -6,709
6. Colorado - 6,353
7. Oregon - 5,937
8. USC - 4,160
9. OSU - 3,626
10. Stanford - 3,518
11. WSU - 3,341
12. Cal - 2,155

Sounds like LaBron James is going to be there tonight to watch his kid. Maybe some will show up just for that reason 🙄

WSU has one of the, if not the most APATHETIC fan bases in all of college sports.

Heck, Big Bend Community College, usually had about 2500 fans attend their bball games. That's WSU level attendance. It's Embarrassing, when a SMALL TOWN COMMUNITY COLLEGE has either almost as good, equal or better attendance then WSU.

The only time WSU fans seem to come out in droves for, in bball is for a bball level equivalent to a, the College GAMEDAY coming to Pullman, etc.

Part of that is on the fans. Part of that is on the athletic dept, AD, marketing dept, etc.

WSU seemingly has the most fairweather, bandwagon, APATHETIC CULTURE, fan bases, etc, in college sports, basketball, etc.
I didn't know if a game or a funeral was going on for most of the game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT