ADVERTISEMENT

CFP expansion letter

Coug95man2

Hall Of Fame
Dec 7, 2011
"It's way too soon - much too soon" to be looking at expansion. I was unaware that they had a 12 year contract.

More circular logic from the talking heads.

I think more fans would be satisfied if they didn't keep putting one underserved team in the playoff; this year is was ND.

Anyone with a brain could see that ND wasn't as good as their 12-0 record, but it's not about matchups, it about $$$$ and ND is one of the biggest money makers out there.

I think more fans would be satisfied if they didn't keep putting one underserved team in the playoff; this year is was ND.

Anyone with a brain could see that ND wasn't as good as their 12-0 record, but it's not about matchups, it about $$$$ and ND is one of the biggest money makers out there.

ND might not have passed the eye test, but they did go 12-0. Hard to keep a team without a loss out, unless they are a group of 5 school.

ND went 12-0. Winning has to mean something, otherwise don't play the games.

They may have to re-think that after tonight's game.

Seats on the 50, 34 rows from the field (which isn't as far as it sounds like) are $1,250 each on the secondary market. Last season, you couldn't even get in the stadium for $1,250 - nosebleed seats were $1,750. And that's just ticket costs - it doesn't include travel, parking, and lodging in one of the most expensive cities in the country. I've read that even getting a room at Bay Area Holiday Inns right now costs about $700/night.

Add to that the reports we've heard over the last several years that the stadium sucks for college football - the field & turf are bad, it's a dead atmosphere, and transportation is awful.

Kinda doubt the CFP will be back to the Bay anytime soon.

Seats on the 50, 34 rows from the field (which isn't as far as it sounds like) are $1,250 each on the secondary market. Last season, you couldn't even get in the stadium for $1,250 - nosebleed seats were $1,750. And that's just ticket costs - it doesn't include travel, parking, and lodging in one of the most expensive cities in the country. I've read that even getting a room at Bay Area Holiday Inns right now costs about $700/night.

Add to that the reports we've heard over the last several years that the stadium sucks for college football - the field & turf are bad, it's a dead atmosphere, and transportation is awful.

It sucks for pro football too.

Sure, but the natty was played in the Georgia Dome last year, an easy drive for both fan bases. This year it’s the opposite side of the country for both fan bases. Apples and oranges.

I agree the location is weird. I guess someone was getting some cash out of the deal. Weather in SF in January can be iffy. There have been lots of complaints about the field surface at Levi’s over the years- basically chewed up. And it could be too cold for the grass to grow. We’ll see what it looks like.

It’s kind of boring with just 4 teams. I think 8 would have been a much better scenario.

I mean is it much of a Playoff with just 4 teams?

That would be like the NFL with just the NFC/AFC championship. That would be pretty lame.

8 teams is a much better option.

Winner of each Power 5 conference - 5 teams.
Highest raited Group of 5 conference - 1

2 at large bids.

Sure, but the natty was played in the Georgia Dome last year, an easy drive for both fan bases. This year it’s the opposite side of the country for both fan bases. Apples and oranges.

I agree the location is weird. I guess someone was getting some cash out of the deal. Weather in SF in January can be iffy. There have been lots of complaints about the field surface at Levi’s over the years- basically chewed up. And it could be too cold for the grass to grow. We’ll see what it looks like.
You point out that the location is odd this year. At the same time they release a statement about how happy they are. I think you are spot on here. Just because fans aren't happy, doesn't mean they aren't making tons of cash. I wouldn't be surprised if the PAC didn't have something to do with the venue choice. Strange bedfellows all around and you never know who knows who, how agreements are made and the back door deals and drinks being bought.

Last edited:
It’s kind of boring with just 4 teams. I think 8 would have been a much better scenario.

I mean is it much of a Playoff with just 4 teams?

That would be like the NFL with just the NFC/AFC championship. That would be pretty lame.

Baseball played for 70 years in a top 2 system. Then they went to top 4 for ~25 years. Then they went top 8 for ~20 years. Now they're top 10. It's still boring, and it didn't keep baseball from losing market to most of the other major sports.

You point out that the location is odd this year. At the same time they release a statement about how happy they are. I think you are spot on here. Just because fans aren't happy, doesn't mean they aren't making tons of cash. I wouldn't be surprised if the PAC didn't have something to do with the venue choice. Strange bedfellows all around and you never know who knows who, how agreements are made and the bad door deals and drinks being bought.

It's actually a win-win. Most of the tickets are still sold to locals, advertisers, and corporations, and now there are 30,000 more TVs in the southeast that are tuned to the game. It's been well established that the schools, conferences, and NCAA don't care as much about butts in the seats as they do about TV, so anything that ups the viewership numbers means more $$$.

The field was re-sodded after the Redbox bowl. However, that doesn't always mean good footing.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/7/18168731/levis-stadium-turf-national-championship

A week to get sod to root? In May-June, that's questionable. In December-January, it's not going to happen. I predict we see the sideline reporter showing pelts coming off the field.

Wow. A phone number is on this. Someone is inviting a lot of calls.
lol. Hadn't noticed that. Not too worried though. Betcha it's a secretary. Whomever it is, will blow off anyone. Or just not answer and tell all contacts to go to a second #.

O/U on Gina changing her phone number is 9:01 am Eastern time tomorrow.
giphy.gif

Reactions: taf88 and SDCoug
A 14.6 overnight ratings. Worst in CFP history (5 years). ESPN pays almost $150 million (last I heard) for this show. I wonder if that letter might have been sent pre-maturely.

This game will be picked a part. Was it location? Was it because it was on a Monday? Was it because it was 'Bama and Clemson... again? Was it because there wasn't any engagement, thus the need to start looking at expansion?

I'd submit a little of all of them. But expansion is going to be the one that has more political issues involved. Regardless of the many multi-million dollar contracts that are completely separate from each other, re-engaging those agreements/contracts for the playoffs/bowls is going to be a heavy, heavy lift.

Even if they move NOW (which won't happen), we are looking at 2 years best case, 3-4 years before it legitimately could happen.

Here's my question. It's taken 5 years for the idea of "expansion" from 4 teams to 8 to become mainstream. But most people say 8 is the limit. Well, 5 years ago, people thought 4 was PLENTY. So in 3-5 years, is an 8 field playoff system going to be enough? Should they just jump to 16 and get it over with? Think of the timeline. Takes 3-5 years to get the 8CFP going. Contracts are multi-year. So when it finally comes around, people will be clamoring for a 16CFP but the contracts still have wet ink!!! 5-10 year wait to expand!

Or is it a psychological thing... they have to experience 8 teams, see the faults first before they'll want it changed?

A 14.6 overnight ratings. Worst in CFP history (5 years). ESPN pays almost $150 million (last I heard) for this show. I wonder if that letter might have been sent pre-maturely.

This game will be picked a part. Was it location? Was it because it was on a Monday? Was it because it was 'Bama and Clemson... again? Was it because there wasn't any engagement, thus the need to start looking at expansion?

I'd submit a little of all of them. But expansion is going to be the one that has more political issues involved. Regardless of the many multi-million dollar contracts that are completely separate from each other, re-engaging those agreements/contracts for the playoffs/bowls is going to be a heavy, heavy lift.

Even if they move NOW (which won't happen), we are looking at 2 years best case, 3-4 years before it legitimately could happen.

Here's my question. It's taken 5 years for the idea of "expansion" from 4 teams to 8 to become mainstream. But most people say 8 is the limit. Well, 5 years ago, people thought 4 was PLENTY. So in 3-5 years, is an 8 field playoff system going to be enough? Should they just jump to 16 and get it over with? Think of the timeline. Takes 3-5 years to get the 8CFP going. Contracts are multi-year. So when it finally comes around, people will be clamoring for a 16CFP but the contracts still have wet ink!!! 5-10 year wait to expand!

Or is it a psychological thing... they have to experience 8 teams, see the faults first before they'll want it changed?

I suspect the Imagine Dragons/Lil Wayne halftime show didn't really move the needle either.

I suspect the Imagine Dragons/Lil Wayne halftime show didn't really move the needle either.
My daughter loves Imagine Dragons... She thought they sucked. So yeah... no matter the demographic, the needle didn't move on that one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT