ADVERTISEMENT

CGD decision in retrospect..

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
was probably a good one.
Looks like its going to be raining all day in Pullman Saturday. Pretty crappy conditions for the fans and ESPN if they would have chose us.

Weather report is looking up for game time. Should be not a lot of rain in the evening and about 50. Winds should dip as well as it gets later.

Yea I saw that. But CGD would have started at about 5am with temperatures in the 40's and rain. Ugh.

No I agree with you. To be honest I wanted them to show up, but am content they didn't. We're in a good position to make them look stupid should we upset Stanford, or if things turn out like they often do with Stanford they won't be there. But the 4am-7:30 thing would have been tough even as a big fan.

They had all the opportunity in the world to come during the 10 win seasons era, but didn't

They aren't coming to Pullman ever, period. There will always be a reason or excuse, but the most important one is that we are on the West coast an hour away from a major airport and even further from a major highway to get the set and all the stuff. Take our remoteness and multiply it by 2 because they then have to pack it up to get to the next place. Our only logistically reasonable shot would be if they were already out this way, but then they wouldn't do it because they wouldn't want to feature a West coast team two weeks in a row.

If ever there were a pipe dream, its CGD to Pullman. We'll get to the college playoff before they bless us with their presence.
A whole hour? Dear god, it's impenetrable!

I'd feel comfortable betting CGD will be in Pullman in the next two years.

They had all the opportunity in the world to come during the 10 win seasons era, but didn't

They aren't coming to Pullman ever, period. There will always be a reason or excuse, but the most important one is that we are on the West coast an hour away from a major airport and even further from a major highway to get the set and all the stuff. Take our remoteness and multiply it by 2 because they then have to pack it up to get to the next place. Our only logistically reasonable shot would be if they were already out this way, but then they wouldn't do it because they wouldn't want to feature a West coast team two weeks in a row.

If ever there were a pipe dream, its CGD to Pullman. We'll get to the college playoff before they bless us with their presence.

So many silly things here it is hard to know where to start. You do realize CGD has been to several remote small places right? They have featured many teams outside of the big boys? May want to go back and look. I also agree that they will be here in no more than two years, and possibly early next season...

Small? Yes.

Remote? Not so much.

You seem to forget that even when they went to UND, they were in relative proximity to Minneapolis and within a day drive (10 hrs, lets say) of what.... half of the B12 and B10, not to mention whatever smaller conferences are in that area. 8 hours of travel from Pullman won't even get you out of the NW.

Given their past opportunities to come to Pullman and decisions not to do so, despite the stars being aligned then, I just don't see them ever making it to Pullman. Honestly, I don't care. We get tons of pub from waving the flag, more so than we would have ever gotten from 1 solo appearance on CGD.
Saying Fargo is in "relative proximity" to Minneapolis is like saying Pullman is in relative proximity to Seattle.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
No I agree with you. To be honest I wanted them to show up, but am content they didn't. We're in a good position to make them look stupid should we upset Stanford, or if things turn out like they often do with Stanford they won't be there. But the 4am-7:30 thing would have been tough even as a big fan.

Of course, we'd be "making them look stupid" on THEIR network, so don't know how much they'd hate that.

Actually, they only had a few opportunities to come to Pullman in our heyday. They were slated to come to Pullman for WSU vs Oregon in 2001 but the Ducks were upset by Stanford the week before. We lost to Oregon so there was no point to showcase us against the 6-1 Bruins (who also lost) the following week. In 2002, our first game worthy of exposure was against USC. Unfortunately, we had gotten crushed by Ohio State a few weeks earlier, so we were off the radar. We didn't host another good team that year.

In 2003, we lost to ND in week two and didn't host a team with less than five losses. In 2004, we lost to CU in Seattle and our next home game was against 1-3 Oregon (who we lost to). Yuck! It's important to remember that the Cougar Flag wasn't a "thing" on Gameday back then. They didn't have the goodwill towards our school in that regards until much later. There will be 3 or so opportunities for us to host Gameday in the next couple years. I don't know that I'd bet on them coming, but the odds are better than you might think.

Maybe not stupid, but more like they missed out assuming notre dame takes care of business. Either way I dont think it's that big of deal they didn't show up, I'd prefer our team never feel like they've made it until they really have.

Small? Yes.

Remote? Not so much.

You seem to forget that even when they went to UND, they were in relative proximity to Minneapolis and within a day drive (10 hrs, lets say) of what.... half of the B12 and B10, not to mention whatever smaller conferences are in that area. 8 hours of travel from Pullman won't even get you out of the NW.

Given their past opportunities to come to Pullman and decisions not to do so, despite the stars being aligned then, I just don't see them ever making it to Pullman. Honestly, I don't care. We get tons of pub from waving the flag, more so than we would have ever gotten from 1 solo appearance on CGD.
Once the truck is loaded, they could simply lease another driver to ride shotgun and tag team drive 24/7. miniscule consideration, really.

Some have discussed last minute lodging a potential issue. Do you really think Moos is caught short on a last minute contingency plan? There isn't one luxury home in Pullman available to Air B&B to ESPN crew in the 11th hour? NONE of the banks are sitting on inventory?

Also, good for Temple. They've been a traditional doormat since forever. Now they get Gameday.

Reactions: kayak15
Also, good for Temple. They've been a traditional doormat since forever. Now they get Gameday.
Dude, I had forgotten that rationale, but now that you mention it...

REALLY ESPN? THAT'S the rationale, because Temple is NEVER good but we'll be good again soon enough? Have you seen our program over the past 20 years? 50 years?

Success is a fickle bedmate, especially for a smaller program like ours, so to throw that out there was just so.... moronically cavalier.

Now, I pray to sweet baby Jesus that we never reach the depths of recent years again, but you just never know. I'm sure Oregon fan throught their program was established and they'd never finish less than 8 wins again too...

Wow. Sorry, man. You're absolutley wrong. They are very much self enclosed and capable to go anywhere without hotel rooms. They have mobile hotels, call RV's, right? Look at Ringling Bros. Barnum Bailey Circus. They take their trucks and RV's everywhere, all across America. Full Disclosure. Why would GameDay mislead WSU Athletics? If they couldn't do it, they wouldn't lead us down a road, dangling a carrott. Most organizaitons do not lie, or deceive. There's full disclosure. You have to trust the folks at ESPN, and I guarantee you, they will come to Pullman someday. BTW, when that day happens, it will be PERFECT.

We want the right doors to open and the right doors to close. Someday, you'll look back and glad they did not come Halloween 2015. When they do come, the timing will be right, and everything will come together. Patience.

Aren't you glad you didn't buy that home you thought was just right? Or marry your high school sweeheart, or college girfiriend, that you just had to marry? It will all come together when it's right.

Last edited:

Eyeroll.

Pullman is no more difficult to get to than Eugene or Corvallis. CGD has been to both of those places.

1080 the Fan in pdx is teasing the rumored reasons CGD isn't going to Pullman.

Have a sneaking feeling it's going to be CJK5H related.

Maybe not stupid, but more like they missed out assuming notre dame takes care of business. Either way I dont think it's that big of deal they didn't show up, I'd prefer our team never feel like they've made it until they really have.

Why is there this notion that the outcome of the game has any impact on their show?

Notre Dame @ Temple is simply a bigger story nationally, and I don't know that's it's really even close. Notre Dame could beat Temple by 9 touchdowns, it doesn't change the story line leading up to the game.

BC&G: Disagree with you on their interest in coming to Pullman. I think they are waiting for a good reason- or excuse, as you put it- to come here. After years of Ol' Crimson appearing in the background of their broadcasts, one would imagine that viewers across the U.S. would be curious to see the origin of the flag. An excellent "hook" attracting viewership.

Geographic isolation? O.K., but not a problem. The personnel involved could fly into Pullman or Lewiston with ease. And then back out and on to the next site. Equipment transportation? Also not a limiting factor. Once the trucks are loaded then it's just a matter of the drivers sitting on the seats while the wheels go around. East coast to a Big10 site versus east coast to Pullman? An extra couple of days. So the equipment arrives a couple of days later, on Thursday as opposed to Tuesday. Who cares? Semis travel across the nation from one end to the other within a few days easily and constantly. One runs into a lot of 18 wheelers even on Hwy 26's two lane blacktop. I don't see a problem.

Lodging? As others have posted, there are RVs, trailers, and other possibilities readily available. The thought has occurred to me that Moos, Leach, Yost, Salave'a and all must surely have a few spare bedrooms for visitors. Would be a good, if tenuous, excuse to have Corso and crew spend some up close time with the staff. "Gosh, sorry guys. All the motels are full. But we will provide lodging with us over the two days." Just a thought.

Bottom line is that they will be here eventually. There are no difficulties that cannot be easily overcome.

I'm calling September 9, 2017, against Boise State, unless there are some truly incredible noncon games that week (a top 10 matchup, for example). Early in the season so there is time to prepare and secure lodging, the weather and atmosphere should be good, both teams should win their openers the week prior, and -- let's hope -- the story can revolve around how senior QB Luke Falk can build off a Rose Bowl appearance in shooting for the national title.

Since its in Portland, I'd speculate it's a jumping off point for Vikings talk.
Nope. Rumor is that since Leach sued CJK5H and ESPN, they won't come to Pullman while he is here. *sigh*

Heaven forbid they talk about the game and its implications for the P12N.

Why is there this notion that the outcome of the game has any impact on their show?

Notre Dame @ Temple is simply a bigger story nationally, and I don't know that's it's really even close. Notre Dame could beat Temple by 9 touchdowns, it doesn't change the story line leading up to the game.
I would argue its more about viewership and convenience for them. They did the Civil War a few years ago when Oregon was #8 and OSU was crap, but it was the last game before Jan 1 and they didn't have anywhere else to be the next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT