ADVERTISEMENT

Chalk this up as a Falk learning game.

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:
He'll grow from this game.

It's not over, but it's looking bleak.
Yes, he will learn and continue to get better. Four interceptions and two fumbles (one WSU recovered). Not a good day for the young QB and no, he is not better than Connor right now.

He will rebound and I expect WSU to beat the uw next week.

6 TOs, Mencke-like? I think you were a touch premature when you anointed him among the all-time greats and better than Halliday already, after one good game.

The kid still shows potential.

We'll see. I hope Falk continues to develop, but I also hope that Bender gets a fair chance to compete for the job during Spring ball. May the best man win.

Falk looked pretty bad today.

Well that's the key isn't it.
How does he adjust to the mistakes. They were bound to happen and the guy is now 1-1 in the pac-12 in games he started, both on the road.

Need him to respond next week.

Originally posted by ttowncoug:
He's better than Connor at this age.

His mistakes are very correctable.
Yes, I agree that he is better than Connor at this age. He has had great coaching and grew up in the Air Raid in High School. If he continues to develop, which I expect he will, WSU is in fine shape.

Still, right now Connor is much better than Luke. But, Luke is gaining valuable experience for next season.

Not convinced that Conner would not have also had a few INTs vs ASU. It's all speculative.

I like Falk's calm, size, wheels, and decision-making (notwithstanding today's performance).

His troubles today don't mean he didn't play the best game by a Cougar QB this year last week. Also would like to see where anyone said he was better than Halliday, and not that he had a different skillset.

I don't recall my exact wording, but I said after OSU that I already liked his play better than Halliday (with no disrespect or malice toward Conner).

By the way, I still feel that way. Not that it matters what I think.

Originally posted by CougPatrol:

We'll see. I hope Falk continues to develop, but I also hope that Bender gets a fair chance to compete for the job during Spring ball. May the best man win.

He looked great until he looked bad.

He had 3 bad throws on 74 attempts.

He's going to be a very good QB in this league.

Really, all of Leach's QB's look the same. They throw a million times; they throw for a million yards; everyone gets an orgasm over those numbers, only to realize that any QB above the high school level can put up those numbers in that system....and still lose. It's a joke, really. Only in Leach's system can a QB play like complete garbage, and still throw for 600 yards. I'm sure some QB will throw for 800 yards soon....in another loss. Falk was bad today; just like Connor, if he plays against any defense with a pulse, he throws multiple interceptions, and they lose by multiple TD's. The Pac-12 and the Big XII are nothing more than glorified powder-puff leagues. I played QB in HS, and we ran a similar system; it was super easy to get yards. I didn't hit 600 yards, or anything close (I threw for about 380-390 yards; I was second string but the starter got kicked off for a bad weed habit), but as some random kid playing QB for a random HS, I put up decent numbers....it's hard not to. My senior year, we went to a more traditional offense, and we won more games, and scored more points, and it was more fun. I played RB too. I hate this kind of offense.

Could you imagine what this blitz would have done to Halliday?

You must be forgetting OSU last yr, Nevada this yr, UA this yr, Stanford this yr.

We had 24 pts going into half time. How much did we have going into half in the games mentioned above?

I gotta put some blame on Leach.

They blitzed the bejesus out of us and we didn't put in an extra blocker...and we should have run the ball more to take some pressure off of a frosh qb.

Originally posted by lakercat:

Really, all of Leach's QB's look the same. They throw a million times; they throw for a million yards; everyone gets an orgasm over those numbers, only to realize that any QB above the high school level can put up those numbers in that system....and still lose. It's a joke, really. Only in Leach's system can a QB play like complete garbage, and still throw for 600 yards. I'm sure some QB will throw for 800 yards soon....in another loss. Falk was bad today; just like Connor, if he plays against any defense with a pulse, he throws multiple interceptions, and they lose by multiple TD's. The Pac-12 and the Big XII are nothing more than glorified powder-puff leagues. I played QB in HS, and we ran a similar system; it was super easy to get yards. I didn't hit 600 yards, or anything close (I threw for about 380-390 yards; I was second string but the starter got kicked off for a bad weed habit), but as some random kid playing QB for a random HS, I put up decent numbers....it's hard not to. My senior year, we went to a more traditional offense, and we won more games, and scored more points, and it was more fun. I played RB too. I hate this kind of offense.
Hey, they could put me in at QB next week vs UW and I'd throw for 600+ yards. No problem.

Originally posted by wulffui:
His troubles today don't mean he didn't play the best game by a Cougar QB this year last week. Also would like to see where anyone said he was better than Halliday, and not that he had a different skillset.
Alzheimer's alert!!!!

Halliday had the best game of any Cougar QB in school history against Cal -- 734 yards, 6 TDs, 0 ints ,70% completion percentage. But the defense and special teams were AWOL.

And may I quote How-di...appen?:

"Guys, I've seen enough of Falk to say right now...[/B]..that he's a step up from Halliday. It's not that close either.

PS No disrespect toward Conner. I still feel bad for him."

Despite his errors, his poise is amazing. Imagine him later, staring at an oncoming DE, sidestepping and throwing a TD. And like that guy on the post game show said, he seems to trust his OL and backs to block. He doesn't seem skittish. For his second ever D1 start that is great. I hope that the protection holds up and he doesn't get nervous back there. So far I see great things from Falk.

Poised yes, the kid is calm. But his decision-making speed remains at a freshman's pace, and his release is Tuel/Brink like. The decision making speed will improve with experience, not so sure about the release.

Originally posted by Cougsocal:

Originally posted by wulffui:
Alzheimer's alert!!!!

Halliday had the best game of any Cougar QB in school history against Cal -- 734 yards, 6 TDs, 0 ints ,70% completion percentage. But the defense and special teams were AWOL.

And may I quote How-di...appen?:

"Guys, I've seen enough of Falk to say right now...[/B]..that he's a step up from Halliday. It's not that close either.

PS No disrespect toward Conner. I still feel bad for him."
Not to mention that Halliday had over 10 yards per pass that game. That is incredible. Luke had about 7 yards per pass. It isn't close, Halliday's was the best performance by a QB this year. It was one of the best performances in NCAA history, perhaps even the best. Luke and other QB's will have similar games that Luke had last week.

Originally posted by spongebob11:
Could you imagine what this blitz would have done to Halliday?

You must be forgetting OSU last yr, Nevada this yr, UA this yr, Stanford this yr.

We had 24 pts going into half time. How much did we have going into half in the games mentioned above?

I gotta put some blame on Leach.

They blitzed the bejesus out of us and we didn't put in an extra blocker...and we should have run the ball more to take some pressure off of a frosh qb.
I have not forgotten anything. Do you remember two weeks ago when WSU beat OSU? Do you remember last week when OSU beat ASU. Do you remember today when ASU beat WSU? Yeah, they are all separate games just like the games you mentioned above (plus the OL in the second game of the season and the OL today are two different animals. This one has a season's worth of experience. The one in the second game was still breaking in three new young starters).

Connor has seen the blitz for years now. He knows what to do faster than Luke and would not have thrown four interceptions and fumbled twice.

Originally posted by lakercat:

Cool, so all we need is a QB who's not in high school to throw for 600 yards (which, even assuming zero rushing yards, would be #1 in the country, with Baylor #2 at 585 yards/game)?

This is some of the highest praise I've heard yet of Leach's offense.

425...depends...if you get wins based on how yards you gain

I think it is q great testimony.

Umm...we beat OSU last week with Falk at qb!

Remember Connor last yr against the Beavers as a Jr?

You are right...he probably wouldn't have fumbled twice...more like 3 or 4 times with his cement feet.

And its not like Connor always makes the best decisions(see UA)

i know, i know, its not "ideal" or ever by design..BUT

one of the benefits of Luke vs OSU was Luke's threat to run.. when he went thru progessions vs ASU today (eg., his first INT) he easily had 4-5 yards on OFF right side instead he threw towards the middle (eg., 1st INT)......

. Unlike vs OSU when after his 2nd-3rd look ... he ran, he didn't today... He's such a threat to get those backers to have to play closer to the line even if he just ran a couple of times to get those Backers thinking he might run

Re: i know, i know, its not "ideal" or ever by design..BUT

I sure hope that hasn't already been coached out of him. That's such a valuable asset in this offense...but I get the feeling Leach hates it when qbs run.

"Connor has seen the blitz for years now. He knows what to do faster than Luke and would not have thrown four interceptions and fumbled twice."

Speculation.

Re: i know, i know, its not "ideal" or ever by design..BUT

He QB sneaked today...when was the last time you saw that.

I don't think leach minds if Luke uses his legs a bit as long as he is smart and gets out of harms way.

this whole Falk is better or not better than Halliday is so dumb. Especially when 1 of them has zero chance to play another snap for us.

And no Bender shouldn't be given a shot right now because if he is better it's best to save his redshirt.

ASU blitzed a lot. He had his issues as a young guy facing that kind of assault would. Now he's seen it and all he can do from it is learn and be better.

We turned the ball over 5 times and STILL had over 600 yards of total offense. The kid will be fine. There is nothing that I saw that wasn't capable of being corrected.

Halliday was known to throw tons of poor passes and make hasty decisions and even he got that under control and fixed so too will Falk or whoever the QB will be.

We need good defense and special teams, and hopefully this offseason we will have some new staff members to start addressing those issues.

you pretty much nailed it, tron. a FRESHMAN had over 600 yards passing... on the road... against a top 10 team... scoring 31 points... in spite of turning the ball over.

He's going to be fun to watch in the coming years.

this is mind numbing..... Falk or Halliday.... it's not an either / or type of thing. Both are excellent qb's that have to deal with bad special teams and a defense that may or may not show up for a game.......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT