ADVERTISEMENT

We are officially back in the Jim Sterk era of Cougar athletics...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
...Schulz is going to hold the purse strings tight and Chun will leave as soon as the door opens. The leaks last week on KJR that the relationship between Chun and Schultz are not that solid are being leaked by someone, for some reason, and I suspect its the ADs office speaking from frustration to be preemptive about this news.

We need to grow revenue (at the gate) and fan interest for this program to have sustainable success. I think we are back to the days of penny pinching and hoping we find some up and comer who is going to use this job as a steppingstone to something better.

...Schulz is going to hold the purse strings tight and Chun will leave as soon as the door opens. The leaks last week on KJR that the relationship between Chun and Schultz are not that solid are being leaked by someone, for some reason, and I suspect its the ADs office speaking from frustration to be preemptive about this news.

We need to grow revenue (at the gate) and fan interest for this program to have sustainable success. I think we are back to the days of penny pinching and hoping we find some up and comer who is going to use this job as a steppingstone to something better.
Chun leaving would be addition by subtraction. As would Schulz. I've believed that since 2018.

However, there's rumblings (Brand X) that Chun is leaving to take the UW AD job. Do with that what you will.

My feeling is UW will promote from within. We will see.

Chun and Schulz unfortunately aren't going anytime soon as they will blame others for this mess.

I don't see the appeal in the UW AD job. How will it be to have the smallest budget in the B10? For the rest of this decade? And a fan base that is non-forgiving? I'm sure they will find someone to take the job, but I've been assuming it will be a G5 AD that wants to step up and is willing to take the abuse until he is run out after 3 years when they are failing in the B10.

I don't see the appeal in the UW AD job. How will it be to have the smallest budget in the B10? For the rest of this decade? And a fan base that is non-forgiving? I'm sure they will find someone to take the job, but I've been assuming it will be a G5 AD that wants to step up and is willing to take the abuse until he is run out after 3 years when they are failing in the B10.

It'll be a DEI type hire from within UW. UW is going to have to shift the narrative to being inclusive, etc., buy time.

I'm going to agree with your agreement that it's unlikely that those teams bring value. If they did have real value, they would already have been picked up by the Big 12. Tulsa is a distant third fiddle to Oklahoma and OSU. Rice is the 7th best program in Texas....if they are lucky. Nobody in Louisiana cares about Tulane except their alums. Everyone else in that state roots for LSU or La Tech. Memphis is arguably the only one worth discussing and when they are 400 miles further east of me.....they are not a west coast school.

It'll be a DEI type hire from within UW. UW is going to have to shift the narrative to being inclusive, etc., buy time.
You may be right. But that will be a tough spin for a school where the fan base views the program in a way that is not tethered to reality. Who ever takes that job (and of course, someone will take the job), they will be drinking Maalox rather soon. And no way will they last long enough to wait until the funding situation catches up to being equitable. This hire will be a 3 year max person, who will have to drop a level or two when they are fired.

What would you think they should do?

true

All you assholes that couldn't wait to shout others down and sing the praise of Pat fing Chunk…. eat chit.

The Cougars are still in a great position to compete against the likes of SDSU, FSU, CSU, USU and BSU. The question will be how long before the president is held accountable for the $100m debt. Can tuition be increased without drops in new freshmen? Are there any funds available to draw from in Olympia?

Check with…who do you think the new guy is?! Welcome Biggs, the new AD, Head football coach, and head Bball coach!

Not sure how much AD work BiggsCoug has done on top of his coaching, but Pres. Schultz (or his successor) wouldn't ever have to worry Biggsy the athletic director leaving for a "better" job or a pay raise.

@BiggsCoug: What would be your first move as AD at WSU?

Not sure how much AD work BiggsCoug has done on top of his coaching, but Pres. Schultz (or his successor) wouldn't ever have to worry Biggsy the athletic director leaving for a "better" job or a pay raise.

@BiggsCoug: What would be your first move as AD at WSU?

Meion Sanders type meeting for the athletic department. The turds have to be flushed.

Well them get the plungers and the drain snakes ready.

You don't seem like much of a status quo guy.
2-7 in league is fireable. If that is ok, what isn’t?

The problem with WSU is there is no bare minimum expectation of performance. Where is the line once crossed, you’re fired??? If 2-7 isn’t it, is 1-8? 0-9?

Reactions: VandalBasher
My over/under on Chun's time as UW AD is 3.5 years. I'm guessing end of football season after the fall 2026 losing season.

Reactions: VandalBasher
2-7 in league is fireable. If that is ok, what isn’t?

The problem with WSU is there is no bare minimum expectation of performance. Where is the line once crossed, you’re fired??? If 2-7 isn’t it, is 1-8? 0-9?

Once you got done cleaning house internally, what would be your plan to increase funding for NIL, facilities improvements and stadium expansion.

Like you've said, there's a lot of work to be done.

Thing is everything costs money.

Once you got done cleaning house internally, what would be your plan to increase funding for NIL, facilities improvements and stadium expansion.

Step 1 fire everyone
Step 2 add 30K stadium seats
Step 3 go 15-0 every year

Simples. Not sure why we aren’t following this roadmap now 🤷

You may be right. But that will be a tough spin for a school where the fan base views the program in a way that is not tethered to reality. Who ever takes that job (and of course, someone will take the job), they will be drinking Maalox rather soon. And no way will they last long enough to wait until the funding situation catches up to being equitable. This hire will be a 3 year max person, who will have to drop a level or two when they are fired.

If they get waxed in the Big-10, I give it about 2 years, but based on the travel expense alone for their non-revenue sports, they'll be wanting to explore being in the Pac-12 for everything but football and basketball. Mark the calendars!
My over/under on Chun's time as UW AD is 3.5 years. I'm guessing end of football season after the fall 2026 losing season.
He's gone as soon as a good AD job opens up....

You have to win. Specifically, you have to win home games. People will not come to games if the team loses or loses in some fantastical way. You cannot expect fans/alums to shell out $$$ for a losing program. You have to provide a great time.

With NIL, you choose if you are going to participate or not. If you are, move towards corporate relationships. Relying on fans/alums to pay your labor costs could be a rollercoaster. How do you sign deals with kids when you don’t know if the $$$ will be there? Better to develop current corporate relationships and build new ones. Also, I’d find something to sell. Swag, experiences, events…. Find something you can get in exchange for $$$.

The indoor facility should have been done a decade ago. It is a fcking warehouse. Not the Taj Mahal. Call Costco, ask who their builder is.

WSU needs to make a decision on what it wants to be. Stay at G5? Or get back to a Power conference? Once that decision is made you can decide what do with the stadium. Pro tip, a 30,000 seat stadium prob isn’t gonna get back to Power conference football, full of fans or not.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
The new AD should make it easy to donate. Fix the CAF. Why people couldn't donate $40.13 after the Apple Cup in 2021 because the CAF system couldn't take $.13 is stupid.

Someone that is hungry, operationally savvy/is in 2024 on marketing, understands fundraising and budgets, and is good with relationships with coaches, athletes, univ. president, and donors.

The Cougars are still in a great position to compete against the likes of SDSU, FSU, CSU, USU and BSU. The question will be how long before the president is held accountable for the $100m debt. Can tuition be increased without drops in new freshmen? Are there any funds available to draw from in Olympia?
Both questions are irrelevant, but both answers are no. Tuition has already been increased for next year, but Tuition dollars can’t be used on athletics. state budget dollars aren’t supposed to be…and they’re certainly not going to give an extra appropriation to support WSU athletics. At least not while the chamber and the governors mansion are controlled by huskies.

The new AD should make it easy to donate. Fix the CAF. Why people couldn't donate $40.13 after the Apple Cup in 2021 because the CAF system couldn't take $.13 is stupid.

Someone that is hungry, operationally savvy/is in 2024 on marketing, understands fundraising and budgets, and is good with relationships with coaches, athletes, univ. president, and donors.
Disagree with one part. New person can’t be in 2024 on marketing. They need to be in 2025 or 2026.
2024 is what everyone else is doing. We need to be ahead of everyone else, and get there first.

Disagree with one part. New person can’t be in 2024 on marketing. They need to be in 2025 or 2026.
2024 is what everyone else is doing. We need to be ahead of everyone else, and get there first.
That's a fair disagreement. The problem is, WSU feels like it's in the early 2000s in marketing, so getting up to the future (and planning for beyond) would be huge.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray

Oh but Chun set record after record for fundraising!

You have to win. Specifically, you have to win home games. People will not come to games if the team loses or loses in some fantastical way. You cannot expect fans/alums to shell out $$$ for a losing program. You have to provide a great time.

With NIL, you choose if you are going to participate or not. If you are, move towards corporate relationships. Relying on fans/alums to pay your labor costs could be a rollercoaster. How do you sign deals with kids when you don’t know if the $$$ will be there? Better to develop current corporate relationships and build new ones. Also, I’d find something to sell. Swag, experiences, events…. Find something you can get in exchange for $$$.

The indoor facility should have been done a decade ago. It is a fcking warehouse. Not the Taj Mahal. Call Costco, ask who their builder is.

WSU needs to make a decision on what it wants to be. Stay at G5? Or get back to a Power conference? Once that decision is made you can decide what do with the stadium. Pro tip, a 30,000 seat stadium prob isn’t gonna get back to Power conference football, full of fans or not.

Pro tip....universities across the country are downsizing their stadiums when they are replaced. 32,952 seats isn't enough and we do need to find a way to get to 40k with more club seats as part of that package...but that is an incredibly low priority right now. Just so you know, WSU is NEVER going to have a 50,000 seat stadium.......EVER. The sooner you get that stupid notion out of your head, the sooner you'll stop looking like a clueless idiot.

Reactions: LeachPack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT