ADVERTISEMENT

College football advertising is stupid.

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Was watching a commercial during a football game and they were highlighting some guy from Texas and they had "Tusk" playing in the background of the commercial. I've never head of "Tusk" really being associated with any school other than USC. I think Alabama briefly tried to claim it around 8 years ago or so...but I've never heard of it being associated with Texas.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I don't know.

The Dr pepper draft portal is pretty hilarious, as are all their ads this year that lampoon the joke that is cfb.
Dr.Pepper has had some good ones over time…but if I’m being honest, I haven’t seen any this year. I haven’t watched a minute of college football since the Apple cup ended. Probably won’t. The bowl games aren’t worth it - they don’t mean anything, and with the opt-outs they aren’t even the teams that earned the bowl berth. And the only interest I have in the playoff is UW getting humiliated and WSU/OSU voting to retain the playoff payout.

The Dr Pepper one with the portal QB is good. My wife pointed out that I glanced up and saw Texas but it's actually VRBO advertising football fans in general, not just Texas.

Interestingly enough, the commercial features a bunch of different programs but not USC...the program featured in the original music video by Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Was watching a commercial during a football game and they were highlighting some guy from Texas and they had "Tusk" playing in the background of the commercial. I've never head of "Tusk" really being associated with any school other than USC. I think Alabama briefly tried to claim it around 8 years ago or so...but I've never heard of it being associated with Texas.
I think the stupidest ones are the Pac-12 promotional spots on the Pac-12 network.

The Dr Pepper one with the portal QB is good. My wife pointed out that I glanced up and saw Texas but it's actually VRBO advertising football fans in general, not just Texas.

Interestingly enough, the commercial features a bunch of different programs but not USC...the program featured in the original music video by Fleetwood Mac.
I love that Bosworth is in those commercials. Dude is living his best life.

I had exactly the same thought, Flat. Tusk for a UT guy? No knowledge of music history (or music video history) at all. Though I did laugh at the way some SC fans are bound to feel disrespected...

Among current and recent ads, the one that always made me snicker was the one showing some groups of fans celebrating around the country. Think it was for a random phone company or something. At one point, they show these guys up in a building under construction with a radio on, wearing USC sweatshirts and all yelling maniacally. What a bullshit picture on several levels. USC has about zero fans who work construction and are up on a steel berm building a structure on a Saturday wearing their USC shirts and yelling around the radio.

If you've seen this, this either will resonate completely or you'll have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. There is little middle ground.

Among current and recent ads, the one that always made me snicker was the one showing some groups of fans celebrating around the country. Think it was for a random phone company or something. At one point, they show these guys up in a building under construction with a radio on, wearing USC sweatshirts and all yelling maniacally. What a bullshit picture on several levels. USC has about zero fans who work construction and are up on a steel berm building a structure on a Saturday wearing their USC shirts and yelling around the radio.

If you've seen this, this either will resonate completely or you'll have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. There is little middle ground.
I've seen this and felt similar.

Reactions: 425cougfan

You might be surprised at the band wagon fans that SC attracts. Just sayin'.....

As I recall he did quite well as a Sooner (except for that pesky steriod thing) and then managed to get a lot of $$$ from the Seahawks before his injuries ended his career. A jerk, certainly, but a rich one.
My understanding was that he made a lot more on products than on football. Rumor was that the anti-Boz t-shirts that were all the rage for a while were made by one of his companies. He cashed in on his fans and on his haters.

Reactions: Coug90
As I recall he did quite well as a Sooner (except for that pesky steriod thing) and then managed to get a lot of $$$ from the Seahawks before his injuries ended his career. A jerk, certainly, but a rich one.
I remember him coming up with an anti Boz T-shirt after he referred to John Elway as horse face or something similar. Made a lot of $$ selling it to Bronco fans before they found out he was the one that was making bank off of it. Funny!

How about the AT&T 5G Heads Up Display (HUD) Helmets?

The helmet will allow coaches on the sideline to select a play from a tablet that will send the play to a lens inside the helmet. The quarterback wearing the helmet will receive the play in augmented reality on the digital Heads Up Display located within the visor.

How much $$$$ will these cost a team?

Last edited:
My understanding was that he made a lot more on products than on football. Rumor was that the anti-Boz t-shirts that were all the rage for a while were made by one of his companies. He cashed in on his fans and on his haters.
I ran out and bought his sunglasses

"Brian Bosworth in 1987 signed a 10-year, $11-million contract with the Seattle Seahawks. At the time, it was the biggest rookie contract in NFL history."

I remember him coming up with an anti Boz T-shirt after he referred to John Elway as horse face or something similar. Made a lot of $$ selling it to Bronco fans before they found out he was the one that was making bank off of it. Funny!
Mr Ed. Yes, he had the Boz busters T-shirts made after that and made a killing selling them in Denver. Dude was a marketing machine.

Agree. He was his own PR machine. I lived in Oklahoma during his full Sooner career. The expression "what you see is what you get" only applied to Boz if you didn't look very close....

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
ESPN recently did a documentary on him. Very well done. A lot of it was he and his teenage son going through stuff of his that had been stored away for many years. He was humble and transparent.
Here's a link to the trailer...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT