ADVERTISEMENT

Conference naming rights?

Is a 6-packer the same thing as a double bagger or a butter face? Inquiring minds want to know.
Never heard of butter face. But yes, along those lines. I tend to rate women's appeal on a scale. From smoking hot, to good-looking, to I'd do that, to oh a couple of beers, to a six-packer, to a 12 packer, to it would take a hyster jack to get it - well you know. Double bagger fits in there with 12-packer I'd say. Coyote arm for the morning after.

"Last night I went home at 2 with a 10, and woke up at 10 with a 2" - Willie Nelson

Dang it I was gonna stop commenting on this topic. Moth to flame.

First of all, I am well aware that WSU has a lame duck President and a soon-to-be promoted interim AD. And the Pac-2 has a Commissioner with a 2-year contract. All of whom are lame.

Second, you have already thrown out your drunk chick at the bar analogy . Problem is, who is the jilted bride in your scenario?

Third, the Holiday Bowl paid out $6.5M last year, the Vegas Bowl $2.9M. Seems like retaining the Vegas Bowl is more likely. Although with the Holiday moving to 35,000 seat Snapdragon stadium this year, that might shuffle the deck a little.
First the bowls are even more irrelevant now with the expanded playoff. You're wanting to save typewriters, rotary phones and dial up modems.

The Vegas bowl had the third selection against B1G or an SEC opponent. The Holiday bowl had the fourth selection against an ACC opponent. The B1G and the SEC are not going to play MWC teams. They're just not. According to this, the bowls with Pac-12 tie-ins will still select Pac-12 teams, which is interesting.

Dang it I was gonna stop commenting on this topic. Moth to flame.

First of all, I am well aware that WSU has a lame duck President and a soon-to-be promoted interim AD. And the Pac-2 has a Commissioner with a 2-year contract. All of whom are lame.

Second, you have already thrown out your drunk chick at the bar analogy . Problem is, who is the jilted bride in your scenario?

Third, the Holiday Bowl paid out $6.5M last year, the Vegas Bowl $2.9M. Seems like retaining the Vegas Bowl is more likely. Although with the Holiday moving to 35,000 seat Snapdragon stadium this year, that might shuffle the deck a little.
We don't know. That's part of the risk-reward proposition. Could be your crush Gloria Nevarez. Could be an old crone with a bunch of credit debt who looks like the bottom of your shoe.

I suppose there is a chance. I would rate it right up there with the chance that pigs will fly out of my ass here pretty soon. after all, the Mtn West was formed after a secret meeting between the 8-founding member occurred at an airport, gutting and ultimately destroying the WAC.

You speak of select schools, which immediately conjures up the draconian exit fees and penalties of $60M plus if we were to poach 5 or 6 of them. Which the Pac-2 can't afford, despite what some of you all think. And why would they come anyway?

When Gloria (Mtn West Commissioner) goes to the podium and speaks to their discussions about naming rights, etc. and the silence from the Pac-2 about anything other than Apple Cup tickets is deafening, I would speculate that our hapless leadership is doing absolutely nothing. Or making calls that go to voicemail. In my all-knowing but always humble opinion. :)
Yes, but… I think it’s in OSU/WSU’s best interest to make sure that any conversations being had are kept quiet. The 10 traitors will seize on anything that could be twisted into “leaving the conference” to take a big bite out of whatever’s left for the Cougs and Beavs to split up. Nothing should be even remotely public until 2nd week of August.

However, with our turnover and lame ducks, I’d question whether much of anything productive has happened in the last 3-6 months.

Never heard of butter face. But yes, along those lines. I tend to rate women's appeal on a scale. From smoking hot, to good-looking, to I'd do that, to oh a couple of beers, to a six-packer, to a 12 packer, to it would take a hyster jack to get it - well you know. Double bagger fits in there with 12-packer I'd say. Coyote arm for the morning after.

"Last night I went home at 2 with a 10, and woke up at 10 with a 2" - Willie Nelson
To explain......"I picked up this girl at the bar last night and had a great time. Everything about her was hot butter face!" (but her face, get it?)

I suppose there is a chance. I would rate it right up there with the chance that pigs will fly out of my ass here pretty soon. after all, the Mtn West was formed after a secret meeting between the 8-founding member occurred at an airport, gutting and ultimately destroying the WAC.

You speak of select schools, which immediately conjures up the draconian exit fees and penalties of $60M plus if we were to poach 5 or 6 of them. Which the Pac-2 can't afford, despite what some of you all think. And why would they come anyway?

When Gloria (Mtn West Commissioner) goes to the podium and speaks to their discussions about naming rights, etc. and the silence from the Pac-2 about anything other than Apple Cup tickets is deafening, I would speculate that our hapless leadership is doing absolutely nothing. Or making calls that go to voicemail. In my all-knowing but always humble opinion. :)

Taking the TOP 9 MWC, and leaving Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada, bottom 3 behind, DOES NOT COST ANYTHING, DOES NOT COST 60+ MILLION. And the TOP 9 would be perfectly willing to dissolve the MWC, leave bottom 3 behind, and then merge, join PAC 2/12/X

Taking the TOP 9 MWC, and leaving Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada, bottom 3 behind, DOES NOT COST ANYTHING, DOES NOT COST 60+ MILLION. And the TOP 9 would be perfectly willing to dissolve the MWC, leave bottom 3 behind, and then merge, join PAC 2/12/X
First of all, I was replying to a post that stated "select" MW schools. 9 schools is not select.

Second, you have absolutely zero idea as to whether the "top 9" MW schools would be "perfectly willing" to do anything of the sort. What little has come out of the MW over the last 6 months indicates that they are NOT inclined to cast off their lesser brethren.

And to Gibby's comment - "First the bowls are even more irrelevant now with the expanded playoff. You're wanting to save typewriters, rotary phones and dial up modems." You just can't have a conversation without throwing out personal insults, can you?

To your point, yes I agree the other bowls are going to be less relevant. But the MW laments their shitty bowl lineup, and a more irrelevant Holiday Bowl and Vegas Bowl, IMHO, lends itself to a greater possibility of retaining one or the other.

Mik, have you heard anything about San Diego State looking at the Big XII and vice versa?

They've never competed in the Power Conference grind like WSU/OSU, but the Aztec basketball program has done well and San Diego might be considered a pretty good TV market

First of all, I was replying to a post that stated "select" MW schools. 9 schools is not select.

Second, you have absolutely zero idea as to whether the "top 9" MW schools would be "perfectly willing" to do anything of the sort. What little has come out of the MW over the last 6 months indicates that they are NOT inclined to cast off their lesser brethren.

And to Gibby's comment - "First the bowls are even more irrelevant now with the expanded playoff. You're wanting to save typewriters, rotary phones and dial up modems." You just can't have a conversation without throwing out personal insults, can you?

To your point, yes I agree the other bowls are going to be less relevant. But the MW laments their shitty bowl lineup, and a more irrelevant Holiday Bowl and Vegas Bowl, IMHO, lends itself to a greater possibility of retaining one or the other.
If you call that a personal insult, you should seek counseling.

And you've not told us what your play is.

If you call that a personal insult, you should seek counseling.

And you've not told us what your play is.
Whatever Counselor. I was insulted, so it is an insult. Call it what you want.

I don't know what you mean by "what your play is". Please articulate so that I can explain?

I don't know what you mean by "what your play is". Please articulate so that I can explain?
I'll repost for you. You're welcome.

Let me put it to you this way. There is a drunk gal at the end of the bar near closing time. She's there because she hasn't found someone to take her home, but it seems like a certainty. The catch is she's leaving now, with or without you. But, she'll be back tomorrow.

On the other hand, the bartender just mentioned he heard at the wedding center down the street the groom got cold feet and bailed on the bride, and there might be a pack of single women including an emotionally fragile jilted bride on the way. Not certain, but maybe.

What's your play Loyal? Do you settle? Or hold out for something that may be much better?

I'll repost for you. You're welcome.

Let me put it to you this way. There is a drunk gal at the end of the bar near closing time. She's there because she hasn't found someone to take her home, but it seems like a certainty. The catch is she's leaving now, with or without you. But, she'll be back tomorrow.

On the other hand, the bartender just mentioned he heard at the wedding center down the street the groom got cold feet and bailed on the bride, and there might be a pack of single women including an emotionally fragile jilted bride on the way. Not certain, but maybe.

What's your play Loyal? Do you settle? Or hold out for something that may be much better?
Oh, OK. My play has been stated many times. Settle for the drunk gal. WSU is not getting an invite from the Big-12. The ACC's alleged implosion is not happening for years, if ever. And if it does, they will backfill from schools nearer to them.

The Mtn West (aka reverse merger) is stable and is loaded with quality schools that are a lot like us (many R1's, land grant universities, like-sized, etc.). Bird in the hand.

Oh, OK. My play has been stated many times. Settle for the drunk gal. WSU is not getting an invite from the Big-12. The ACC's alleged implosion is not happening for years, if ever. And if it does, they will backfill from schools nearer to them.

The Mtn West (aka reverse merger) is stable and is loaded with quality schools that are a lot like us (many R1's, land grant universities, like-sized, etc.). Bird in the hand.
No reason to be afraid. She'll be at the bar tomorrow night, and the night after, and next week, and next year, and the year after.

I decline to accept that logic. The corollary is that you were offended, so what was said was offensive. Doesn't work. If a person chooses to be offended (or insulted), it does not necessarily follow that the words used were offensive/insulting. More often, in today's world, it means that the person who heard it is a snowflake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stretch 74
I decline to accept that logic. The corollary is that you were offended, so what was said was offensive. Doesn't work. If a person chooses to be offended (or insulted), it does not necessarily follow that the words used were offensive/insulting. More often, in today's world, it means that the person who heard it is a snowflake.
Oh knock it off. I wasn't really offended. It would take more than Glibby's chidish jabs to do that. My point was that he almost always has to take digs, usually personal, in his information-less posts. Unlike the always kind and respectful Loyal One, who never does that in any of his information-filled and insightful posts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT