ADVERTISEMENT

Coug / Buff Predictions

I'd like to see this team come out and actually put someone away. We've only had 3 wins that were by more than 1 score, and only 1 of those was a really "comfortable" win

Wyoming, 31-14. This wasn't truly in the bag until we scored with 2:00 left.
Oregon State, 52-31. We were never really in danger, but after pretty much doing whatever we wanted in the first 20 minutes (building a 31-10 lead with 10:00 left before halftime), we went to sleep. Offense was shut out in the 2nd half, and the D struggled to get them off the field.
ASU, 38-24. It was in reach for ASU until Dom broke their backs with the long 1-play drive with 4:00 left.

That being said...with CU's QB being a largely unknown quantity, it's tough to say what they're going to do. My guess - lean on the ground game, keep our O off the field as much as possible. Their D is actually pretty good against the pass - numbers are pretty similar to Stanford and UCLA, both of which our offense struggled against. Not so good against the run - actually pretty similar to us - giving up 201 YPG and 5 YPC. Their offense is middle of the pack, with a slight lean toward the pass. Should be manageable for a backup QB...although Liufau was a strong runner. Their protection is a bit below average.

If CU can move the ball on the ground, this one's going to be close. It'll negate Falk and keep the score down. D needs to step up early and force them off the field, or get takeaways, and the O needs to jump on them. If we can get up a few scores and force them to throw, I think we've got them.

CU averages about 22 ppg in conference play. Normally, I'd say that should go down with a backup QB, but our D isn't as good as some they've faced, and they're coming off of UCLA-Stanford-USC, which is a tough stretch. I'm calling that roughly a wash.

We put up 28 and 31 against Stanford and UCLA. CU's D looks similar.

Final: WSU 30, CU 24

We come out at Mach 2 with our hair on fire.
Unlike last week, I'm really feeling it this week.
Cougs 54
Buffs 24

I was sort of close last week predicting a coug win in 3 OT. Falk just decided to skip it and call it a night.

45 - 24 Cougs

This is a tough one. As others have alluded to this could be a trap game. It's hard to always be razor sharp both mentally and physically week in and week out in any sport. Plus the UCLA game was physical. Colorado has had some close games (i.e. u$c) but also been blown out. So which CU team shows up?

On the other hand, the cougs blew out OSU in the first half, another time this season I thought there could be a letdown. There's something special about this team so they may just come out firing.

I think it's awesome that some true Cougs are helping out Mikalalas and giving him a ride to the game. Maybe that good vibe will be recognized by the football gods!!

Putting all of the above together very unscientifically, with a few facts and only a little logic, I predict:

Cougs 24
Colorado 16

Both offenses will have trouble getting untracked saturday. Coug D is better against the run, so Cougs win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT