ADVERTISEMENT

Coug Men beat the Cal Bears 69-66

Coug1990

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2002
I didn't watch or listen to the game, as I was watching Dallas come back against Detroit in the NFL playoff game. I just turned on the radio and listened to the last few seconds of the basketball game. Congratulations to the team and great job by Coach Kent.

Originally posted by Coug1990:
I didn't watch or listen to the game, as I was watching Dallas come back against Detroit in the NFL playoff game. I just turned on the radio and listened to the last few seconds of the basketball game. Congratulations to the team and great job by Coach Kent.
I watched it, and it was so frustrating at the end. Iroegbu, with a 5-point lead and struggling to get the ball inbounds, calls a timeout when WSU had none. Cal then hits two technical FTs to close it to 68-66. On the next inbounds, Lacy is fouled but makes only 1 of 2. Fortunately, Cal had only 1.1 seconds. Nonetheless, Matthews got off a fairly clean 3-point shot but missed. The other thing that made it tough at the end was listening to Mike Montgomery blather on and on about the Cougs' 15-game road losing streak.

Yeah, the announcers were horrible. they had nothing to say so they kept going back to WSU's losing streak. congrats Coug men & CEK! they looked like a basketball team today.

Nice effort, played smart for 39 minutes then did what they could to let it slip away but they pulled out the win. They did what you want to do and that's get a road split. Nice games by Railey, Hawkinson, and a solid defensive effort.

Dallas vs Detroit game? Are you a fan of one of those teams?

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:

I have never cared for Dallas. Don't care for their owner either.

Just like some fans here who wanted to write Kent off before he ever coached a game. These guys do not know basketball. Kent has done wonders in coaching a team whom has been without a coach for many years. He had to coach them up and build their self confidence and use them correctly in the right positions. This thread instead of praising the coach digresses into a Dallas thread. The coug basketball program will continue to progress with next years' team being much better,Hats off to Coach Kent and the basketball team.Many fans here have acted like there was not a basketball program.

It was a good effort. I thought they played fairly well against Stanford on Friday but couldn't hit an open shot. Against Cal Hawkinson played great and Railey had his best game. Unlike some comments above I didn't think we played badly down the stretch except for Iroegbu's mental flame out with 3 seconds to go. All he had to do was lob it down court and they game would have been over even if Cal intercepted it and threw in a desperation 3 pointer. I'm always a lot more tolerant of physical mistakes than mental ones. Know what the game situation is.
Montgomery wasn't bad for a commentator. He correctly pointed out that we needed to run Mathews off the 3 point line and Iroegbu has to stop dribbling in circles 40 ft from the basket. I understand that Kent plays Iroegbu because he is aggressive and can penetrate but he really is out of control. We need better play from the point guard spot.

Originally posted by Coug-Vandal:
It was a good effort. I thought they played fairly well against Stanford on Friday but couldn't hit an open shot. Against Cal Hawkinson played great and Railey had his best game. Unlike some comments above I didn't think we played badly down the stretch except for Iroegbu's mental flame out with 3 seconds to go. All he had to do was lob it down court and they game would have been over even if Cal intercepted it and threw in a desperation 3 pointer. I'm always a lot more tolerant of physical mistakes than mental ones. Know what the game situation is.
Montgomery wasn't bad for a commentator. He correctly pointed out that we needed to run Mathews off the 3 point line and Iroegbu has to stop dribbling in circles 40 ft from the basket. I understand that Kent plays Iroegbu because he is aggressive and can penetrate but he really is out of control. We need better play from the point guard spot.
Kent pulled Redding after he got his 4th foul.

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:

I have never cared for Dallas. Don't care for their owner either.
So....a Detroit fan?? Cagey guy!

Originally posted by Coug95man2:
Pretty cool guest at the game, as well.

He was stoked and excited AND vocal… Very cool.
Loved seeing this. Klay looks to be all in as a Coug.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT