Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island

Washington State hires EWU’s David Riley as men’s basketball coach​

Greg Woods
April 2, 2024 at 6:13 pm Updated April 2, 2024 at 8:46 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
PULLMAN — Washington State’s next head basketball coach won’t have to travel far to his new home.

WSU is hiring Eastern Washington men’s basketball coach David Riley, the school announced Tuesday, ending an eight-day coaching search in the wake of former coach Kyle Smith’s departure for Stanford last week.

“We are thrilled to have David Riley leading our men’s basketball program as we look to build on this season’s success,” WSU interim AD Anne McCoy said in a press release. “Throughout the process, Dave’s coaching acumen was evident as was his ability to create a winning culture. In just three seasons, he has emphasized player development through a fast-paced, high powered offense that allows his student-athletes to play free and confidently.”

Riley signed a six-year deal, according to CBS Sports’ Matt Norlander.

Riley, 35, was born in Seattle and played at Division III Whitworth. In three seasons as head coach at EWU, Riley led the Eagles to an overall record of 62-38 (42-14 Big Sky) with two conference regular-season titles and two postseason appearances, his first season in The Basketball Classic and his second in the NIT.

The Big Sky Coach of the Year in 2023 and 2024, Riley’s EWU teams own two wins over WSU: in the first round of last season’s NIT and in the 2021-22 regular season, both in Pullman. He has shown he can beat and hang with power conference opponents, beating California in 2022 and taking a late lead on Washington a few months ago in Seattle.

The fourth-youngest Division I head coach last season, Riley doesn’t have much head coaching experience. He has spent his entire coaching career at EWU, where he worked as director of basketball operations in 2011-2014 before becoming an assistant coach from 2014 to 2021.

Riley’s Eagles teams have disappointed in March, however. As the Big Sky Tournament’s top seed each of the past two years, they dropped their first game in both of those tournaments.

“I am incredibly grateful to President Schulz, Interim Athletic Director Anne McCoy and the athletic department leadership team for allowing me the opportunity to lead the men’s basketball program,” Riley said in the release. “WSU is a dream job and embodies everything that college athletics is about.”

Riley is likely WSU’s second choice. On Monday, WSU offered the job to Montana State head coach Matt Logie, according to reports, but Logie turned down the offer to stay at MSU, which responded with an extension with a pay bump.

The Cougars also went away from associate head coach Jim Shaw, who interviewed for the position but was informed he was out of the running last week, multiple sources confirmed to The Spokesman-Review. Over the weekend, in a statement to The S-R, Shaw said he was deciding between following Smith to Stanford or accepting another offer.

Riley may have to work to reconstruct the Washington State roster. In the days after Smith’s departure, 10 Cougars have entered the transfer portal, including guard Myles Rice, senior wing Andrej Jakimovski, junior center Oscar Cluff and true freshman center Rueben Chinyelu, all of whom started last season. Six reserves have also hit the portal.

All 10 retain the option to return to WSU.

As of Tuesday, WSU still has two key pieces in junior wing Jaylen Wells and true freshman guard Isaiah Watts, both of whom played important roles last season. Watts came on strongly toward the end of the season, which ended in the Cougs’ first NCAA tournament berth in 16 years.

Last season, EWU guard LeJuan Watts won Big Sky Freshman of the Year honors, and junior wing Cedric Coward landed on the all-conference first team. Junior forward Ethan Price and junior wing Casey Jones earned second-team honors, and Jones also landed on the all-defensive team.

Last season, EWU played one of the country’s toughest nonconference schedules, coming in 18th nationally, according to KenPom. That’s one reason EWU ranked low nationally in some metrics, such as 262nd in defensive efficiency and No. 336 in 3-point defense, allowing a mark of 36.9%.

But EWU scored exceptionally well, coming in fourth nationally with an effective field-goal percentage of 57.2%. The Eagles also made 58.7% of their shots inside the arc, sixth nationally. Coward, who started his career at Division III Willamette, ranked 14th nationally in true shooting at 66.2%.

Riley’s father Ed is an anesthesiologist at Stanford. His uncle Mike Riley is the former head football coach at Oregon State and Nebraska.

Greg Woods Washington State beat writer for The Spokesman-Review

Reactions: PeteTheChop

Washington State hires EWU’s David Riley as men’s basketball coach​

Greg Woods
April 2, 2024 at 6:13 pm Updated April 2, 2024 at 8:46 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
PULLMAN — Washington State’s next head basketball coach won’t have to travel far to his new home.

WSU is hiring Eastern Washington men’s basketball coach David Riley, the school announced Tuesday, ending an eight-day coaching search in the wake of former coach Kyle Smith’s departure for Stanford last week.

“We are thrilled to have David Riley leading our men’s basketball program as we look to build on this season’s success,” WSU interim AD Anne McCoy said in a press release. “Throughout the process, Dave’s coaching acumen was evident as was his ability to create a winning culture. In just three seasons, he has emphasized player development through a fast-paced, high powered offense that allows his student-athletes to play free and confidently.”

Riley signed a six-year deal, according to CBS Sports’ Matt Norlander.

Riley, 35, was born in Seattle and played at Division III Whitworth. In three seasons as head coach at EWU, Riley led the Eagles to an overall record of 62-38 (42-14 Big Sky) with two conference regular-season titles and two postseason appearances, his first season in The Basketball Classic and his second in the NIT.

The Big Sky Coach of the Year in 2023 and 2024, Riley’s EWU teams own two wins over WSU: in the first round of last season’s NIT and in the 2021-22 regular season, both in Pullman. He has shown he can beat and hang with power conference opponents, beating California in 2022 and taking a late lead on Washington a few months ago in Seattle.

The fourth-youngest Division I head coach last season, Riley doesn’t have much head coaching experience. He has spent his entire coaching career at EWU, where he worked as director of basketball operations in 2011-2014 before becoming an assistant coach from 2014 to 2021.

Riley’s Eagles teams have disappointed in March, however. As the Big Sky Tournament’s top seed each of the past two years, they dropped their first game in both of those tournaments.

“I am incredibly grateful to President Schulz, Interim Athletic Director Anne McCoy and the athletic department leadership team for allowing me the opportunity to lead the men’s basketball program,” Riley said in the release. “WSU is a dream job and embodies everything that college athletics is about.”

Riley is likely WSU’s second choice. On Monday, WSU offered the job to Montana State head coach Matt Logie, according to reports, but Logie turned down the offer to stay at MSU, which responded with an extension with a pay bump.

The Cougars also went away from associate head coach Jim Shaw, who interviewed for the position but was informed he was out of the running last week, multiple sources confirmed to The Spokesman-Review. Over the weekend, in a statement to The S-R, Shaw said he was deciding between following Smith to Stanford or accepting another offer.

Riley may have to work to reconstruct the Washington State roster. In the days after Smith’s departure, 10 Cougars have entered the transfer portal, including guard Myles Rice, senior wing Andrej Jakimovski, junior center Oscar Cluff and true freshman center Rueben Chinyelu, all of whom started last season. Six reserves have also hit the portal.

All 10 retain the option to return to WSU.

As of Tuesday, WSU still has two key pieces in junior wing Jaylen Wells and true freshman guard Isaiah Watts, both of whom played important roles last season. Watts came on strongly toward the end of the season, which ended in the Cougs’ first NCAA tournament berth in 16 years.

Last season, EWU guard LeJuan Watts won Big Sky Freshman of the Year honors, and junior wing Cedric Coward landed on the all-conference first team. Junior forward Ethan Price and junior wing Casey Jones earned second-team honors, and Jones also landed on the all-defensive team.

Last season, EWU played one of the country’s toughest nonconference schedules, coming in 18th nationally, according to KenPom. That’s one reason EWU ranked low nationally in some metrics, such as 262nd in defensive efficiency and No. 336 in 3-point defense, allowing a mark of 36.9%.

But EWU scored exceptionally well, coming in fourth nationally with an effective field-goal percentage of 57.2%. The Eagles also made 58.7% of their shots inside the arc, sixth nationally. Coward, who started his career at Division III Willamette, ranked 14th nationally in true shooting at 66.2%.

Riley’s father Ed is an anesthesiologist at Stanford. His uncle Mike Riley is the former head football coach at Oregon State and Nebraska.

Greg Woods Washington State beat writer for The Spokesman-Review

Well even tho it could be worse, and tho Riley semi might be semi ok coach, or hope he is, his RESUME, is STILL NOT as good as Shaw's resume, and Henderson's resume, and about tied with Logie's resume, and the whole ENTIRE roster GUTTED, and a big, botched, mess, when could, should have had Shaw, Henderson, or a better coach then Riley.

Yeah, some of the players would still have left anyways, but some more would have either stayed, or even returned from the portal, as some players said that they might could return from the portal, and some players that took longer to enter portal said they were waiting to see what happen.

And Donald Watts, Isiah Watts father said on the Ian Furness show, that it was critical to have a semi quick, efficient, effective coaching search to get a good coach, that the players would also have confidence in, in order to get some of the players to stay.

It's obvious that WSU, Schultz, AD, didn't listen to Donald Watts, and FCKED up the coaching search, and were CHEAPSKATERS, etc.

Also it's a FALSE NARRATIVE to say that all or most of the players were going to forever leave anyways, no matter what happened.

What a mess. Thanks Schultz, AD for that mess. I hope Riley enjoys cleaning up that mess, and hope he can clean up that mess, and hope he is a better coach then what I think he is, and hope he is not a Stevens, Graham, Wulf, etc.

If Shaw, Henderson had been hired, and had retained some more players, WSU would have won about 17,18,19,20,21,22,23 total games. Now WSU will be LUCKY to win 8,9,10,11,12,13 games this season, with Riley, after this mess, disaster.

Hope I end up wrong, but don't think I will, sadly. Oh well.

I know nothing about Riley other than what I’m reading here.

I like the hire FWIW(as if my opinion matters one bit)

Rising coach in a falling industry with a temporary AD making her first hire. Could have been worse.

I wasn’t happy with the whole process but very happy with the end result.
I thought Shaw had earned his shot but imo we got one of the top young coaches out west!

I hope Riley is having breakfast with Jim Shaw! It would be great if he would stay, too

I wasn’t happy with the whole process but very happy with the end result.
I thought Shaw had earned his shot but imo we got one of the top young coaches out west!
I feel the same way. I liked Shaw, but I have no idea how he interviews and the plan he presented to WSU. I do think this was likely going to be Riley's last year at Eastern regardless. He is a rising coach that has won two Big Sky titles in three years. He has been able to beat P5 conference teams. He could be a failure, as most coaches regardless of where they are hired are failures. But, I think he is a good choice.

I feel the same way. I liked Shaw, but I have no idea how he interviews and the plan he presented to WSU. I do think this was likely going to be Riley's last year at Eastern regardless. He is a rising coach that has won two Big Sky titles in three years. He has been able to beat P5 conference teams. He could be a failure, as most coaches regardless of where they are hired are failures. But, I think he is a good choice.
He’s a good choice but it was a ham handed hire by WSU.

He and Logie are the same guy. Young enough to step into a fubar and still have time to rehabilitate their career if everything goes to hell in a hand basket.

He’s a good choice but it was a ham handed hire by WSU.

He and Logie are the same guy. Young enough to step into a fubar and still have time to rehabilitate their career if everything goes to hell in a hand basket.
I am not sure I understand what you mean.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT