ADVERTISEMENT

Coug - NMSU predictions

42-21. Up 35-7 at the half after only giving up one silly long ball I’m blown coverage. Sleep walk through the second half and give up a KO for a touchdown.

WSU 68, NMSU 13

WSU 8 touchdowns, 4 FG, 2 touchdowns, 1 FG per Quarter, out of the 4.5 possessions per Quarter.

Biggest, most lopsided victory since Leaf, WSU beat a similar type of team by about 77.

Cougs 42
NMST 10

Easy win. So easy team loses focus and scoreboard doesn't reflect the talent disparity.

48-15 with some kinks in the defensive backfield. Dez Patmon has himself a game. Oh, Flat, with merely a 25 point halftime lead, Leach would never stoop to playing the 2nd string QB.

45 - 10 Cougs. Could see NMSU sneak in a return or get a big play for a TD in the first half.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure where all of these runaway blowout predictions are coming from.

Not that I don't think we're capable of blowing the doors off of them, but season opening games under Leach have been a bit of a quagmire. It's probably the only minor nitpick against Leach, other than the Apple Cup.

Season opening games in college football are a bit of a crap shoot, but I think that's especially true with an offense like ours where we're not mauling guys at the line of scrimmage the way power teams do. NMSU also has an elite RB (Huntely). I heard he was a 4th team all American nominee, which would make him better than any other back in the P12. Their backup is also solid. That will help them chew some clock.

I foresee a lot of annoying penalties, some communication issues between Gordon and the WRs, dropped passes, etc. In many respects, that's probably more beneficial than winning 62-7.

Last edited:
Slow start, first game jitters. We'll get a couple FGs where we should have TDs, and turn it over at least once. Defense has some position confusion and NMSU gets yards on the ground. 9-7 in the first. Things start to improve in the 2nd quarter, defense locks down and provides a short field situation and we get in the end zone. 19-7 at the half. Offense gets severely dressed down at halftime.
Things settle down a bit in the 3rd, we break a couple big plays. 33-10 after 3.
Depth takes over in the 4th, we hit a couple big plays creating quick drives. Gubrud plays the last 8 minutes at 47-10. Start working in the 2 & 3 deep on both sides. NMSU moves it better against the backups, uses time, and gets some points. Gubrud throws an INT, then punches it in on a late scramble. Final 54-24. Leach is disappointed in the post-game, says we’ve got a lot to work on.

Slow start, first game jitters. We'll get a couple FGs where we should have TDs, and turn it over at least once. Defense has some position confusion and NMSU gets yards on the ground. 9-7 in the first. Things start to improve in the 2nd quarter, defense locks down and provides a short field situation and we get in the end zone. 19-7 at the half. Offense gets severely dressed down at halftime.
Things settle down a bit in the 3rd, we break a couple big plays. 33-10 after 3.
Depth takes over in the 4th, we hit a couple big plays creating quick drives. Gubrud plays the last 8 minutes at 47-10. Start working in the 2 & 3 deep on both sides. NMSU moves it better against the backups, uses time, and gets some points. Gubrud throws an INT, then punches it in on a late scramble. Final 54-24. Leach is disappointed in the post-game, says we’ve got a lot to work on.
If it happens EXACTLY like that, I’ll buy you a beer

It's the first game of the season....so I subtracted about 20 from what we should score on them.

WSU- 31
NMSU-10

Ironically, I just finished watching 'The Mule' today. It's the recent film by Clint Eastwood. Some parts were filmed in LasCruces, NM (Where NMSU is located).

I think they know Gordon needs all the confidence and live reps he can get. Also think the D wants to make a statement that they’re gonna be a focal point of this team.

59-9

If we struggle coming together, which often happens with new guys in important positions, 42-21

On a more serious note, I'm not sure where all of these runaway blowout predictions are coming from.

Not that I don't think we're capable of blowing the doors off of them, but season opening games under Leach have been a bit of a quagmire. It's probably the only minor nitpick against Leach, other than the Apple Cup.

Season opening games in college football are a bit of a crap shoot, but I think that's especially true with an offense like ours where we're not mauling guys at the line of scrimmage the way power teams do. NMSU also has an elite RB (Huntely). I heard he was a 4th team all American nominee, which would make him better than any other back in the P12. Their backup is also solid. That will help them chew some clock.

I foresee a lot of annoying penalties, some communication issues between Gordon and the WRs, dropped passes, etc. In many respects, that's probably more beneficial than winning 62-7.

On second thought....I see a 3-2 game. That would be incredibly beneficial.:D

Prediction - Cougs iron some things out and 2nd team players get a lot of playing time in the second half.

If Leach wouldnt have taken the foot off the gas, and put in the 3rd Stringers, and had played Gage, and no other QB after Gordon was done, then WSU would have scored at least 10+ more points.

So the predictions of 60+ to 70+ were realistic.

And totally expected what happened to happen.

Like I and others said Anthony Gordon, OL, Borghi, WR's, Offense has a chance to be WSU's best offense ever so far.

Borghi is up for Delk RB award. Almost each OL up for top OL award. 5,6,7th best WR Corp in Nation. FITH YEAR SENIOR GORDON who produced about 3800 yards about 38 TD's(At San Fransisco) BEAT OUT QB THAT PRODUCED 10K PASS YARDS, 86 TD's, 4 years of STARTING experience, 2 time WALTER PAYTON AWARD FINALIST, BEST QB IN FCS, THAT TRANSFERRED TO WSU.

THERE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ANY DOUBT about how AWESOME Gordon, WSU OFFENSE, is.

And after what Gordon did vs NMSU, in going 25 of 30, about 475 yards, 5 TD's, no INT's(if had played whole game, would have had 700 yards, 8 TD's, 43 completions out of 50 attempts, and what he will probably do against Northern Colorado, there should be NO doubt about how awesomely he will do vs Houston, and after Houston should be no doubt what he will do vs rest of conference.

Done saying "I, we told you so"

And if any say there was no doubt:

A couple, few, some here thought that Anthony Gordon, WSU Offense would not have
a good game that WSU would struggle, that score would be something like 29 to 39 WSU, 19 to 29 NMSU, because of "Gordon hasnt taken a MEANINGFUL SNAP", NERVES, JITTERS, INEXPERIENCE, ETC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT