ADVERTISEMENT

Credit where credit is due

etowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Apr 15, 2018
Lots of schools are seeing plenty of kids flood the portal looking for greener pastures. So far we haven't seen the same transfer phenomenon. Perhaps whatever was going on in the locker room has worked itself out. I don't think we'll see a ton of movement with so little time til the start of the semester. Maybe we'll see some departures after spring ball but those will be fueled by people being stuck at the bottom of the depth chart.

It's important for us to keep contributors around and not losing them to the portal. Rolo is this far passing the test (if you excuse the transfers we saw early in his tenure as I do) and hopefully he's got the guys bought in.

Reactions: Coug90
Lots of schools are seeing plenty of kids flood the portal looking for greener pastures. So far we haven't seen the same transfer phenomenon. Perhaps whatever was going on in the locker room has worked itself out. I don't think we'll see a ton of movement with so little time til the start of the semester. Maybe we'll see some departures after spring ball but those will be fueled by people being stuck at the bottom of the depth chart.

It's important for us to keep contributors around and not losing them to the portal. Rolo is this far passing the test (if you excuse the transfers we saw early in his tenure as I do) and hopefully he's got the guys bought in.
There’s no question the effort is there and there’s a fun to play atmosphere. Fix the halftime adjustment issue (which the coaches damn well better figure out if they are PAC-12 material) and there’s a solid foundation to build on. Other than USC which was a straight ambush of a team that hadn’t practiced much for a couple of weeks, the Cougs owned their opponents in the first half.

I suspect that when we have a full play book, much of the halftime adjustment issue will take care of itself. At least I hope so. We'll see.

As for kids hitting the portal, I suspect that is mostly about situations where the kid was led to have certain expectations during the courtship ritual (oops; I meant to say recruiting period) which were not realistic. And sometimes were simply flat-out lies. There are also scenarios where a player thinks that the coach is biased in some way and/or is making decisions that the player deems to be unfair. If we have few kids going to the portal, it suggests that the kids view the coaches as being credible and fair.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT