Dan Lanning taking shots at Neon

WillieThePimp

Team Captain
Aug 14, 2021
Sirius radio interview from yesterday:

1. “"At end of the day, YouTube videos aren't going to win football games,"

From his pregame speech that was broadcast during the game

2 “Not in flash; rooted in substance, today we talk with our pads”

2. “The Cinderella story is over, they’re fighting for clicks, we’re fighting for wins, there’s a difference”

3. “This game ain’t played in Hollywood, it’s played in the grass”

Hate the ducks as much as anyone but like their coach and love the dismantling of Colorado.

2. “The Cinderella story is over, they’re fighting for clicks, we’re fighting for wins, there’s a difference”

Hate the ducks as much as anyone but like their coach and love the dismantling of Colorado.

I had to chuckle at this one...

“This game ain’t played in Hollywood, it’s played in the grass”

Could easily direct this quote toward the Ducks with an edit...

“This game ain’t played on Wall Street, it’s played in the grass”

I've found it amusing that Oregon, the king of college branding, is getting outbranded by Coach Prime. That is what is so offensive to them. Lol.

I find myself liking this blowout, but will need a long shower after the game. Hate the Ducks, but tired of the overhyped Colorado Buffs.

Just like when Sanders was a player, he's starting to grow on me. I have always cringed at his "act", but there's a lot more substance than most are willing to acknowledge with Sanders. CU is in for some more lumps this year especially without Hunter.

Lanning comes across as a bit of an @$$ to me as well though. Pick your poison I guess, but I'm really not a Lanning let alone Duck fan at all.

Just like when Sanders was a player, he's starting to grow on me. I have always cringed at his "act", but there's a lot more substance than most are willing to acknowledge with Sanders. CU is in for some more lumps this year especially without Hunter.

Lanning comes across as a bit of an @$$ to me as well though. Pick your poison I guess, but I'm really not a Lanning let alone Duck fan at all.

The thing that I hate about Sanders is how everything has to revolve around him. ESPN has a long tradition of bringing in guest pickers that have a relation to the host program. Sanders brings in the fuggin' Rock? Just hate the narcissism and arrogance. However, he does deserve credit for having some substance to go with the clown show.

The thing that I hate about Sanders is how everything has to revolve around him. ESPN has a long tradition of bringing in guest pickers that have a relation to the host program. Sanders brings in the fuggin' Rock? Just hate the narcissism and arrogance. However, he does deserve credit for having some substance to go with the clown show.
I feel like a lot of the "hate" is getting in the way of seeing the substance. We will see as the going gets tough if players flood for the portal. However, this program was in total oblivion for basically the last 20-ish years. In year 1, Gameday shows up in Boulder. They have been a huge draw in terms of ratings.

Personally, it's hard for me to discount they already have 2 more wins through 4 games than all of last year. I just saw a snippet of Sanders post-game. He had no excuses. It was Lanning taking shots all week at Sanders. I have no idea why. I don't think Sanders has taken a shot at Lanning or Oregon. Could be wrong there. CU is absolutely going to take their share of lumps this year as they get into conference. I hate the act as well, but the guy has really only succeeded for the most part despite the act.

CO vs OR is rather like the uw muttskis playing notre Dame/Michigan/Ohio State- you put your hand over your mouth to hold in the nausea and then root for the one that disgusts you less. And 99.9% of the time it will be the team that is playing uw.

I feel like a lot of the "hate" is getting in the way of seeing the substance. We will see as the going gets tough if players flood for the portal. However, this program was in total oblivion for basically the last 20-ish years. In year 1, Gameday shows up in Boulder. They have been a huge draw in terms of ratings.

Personally, it's hard for me to discount they already have 2 more wins through 4 games than all of last year. I just saw a snippet of Sanders post-game. He had no excuses. It was Lanning taking shots all week at Sanders. I have no idea why. I don't think Sanders has taken a shot at Lanning or Oregon. Could be wrong there. CU is absolutely going to take their share of lumps this year as they get into conference. I hate the act as well, but the guy has really only succeeded for the most part despite the act.

CU beat TCU in a shoot out by 3. Beat a sorry ass Nebraska team. Takes CSU to double over time. Improved? Yes. But the hype? The non stop avalanche of fake news propping his team up? Announcing you have Heisman candidates? No thanks. Spare me the phony act.

We don’t know what’s being said behind closed doors to recruits. Meion could very well be talking an enormous amount of shit to Oregon’s recruits OR even reaching out to Oregon players. It could become very personal for a lot of coaches to clobber Meion’s team.

Meion’s teams will only go as far as CU nil $$$ goes. He isn’t going to outbid Oregon or Texas oil $$$ or anyone in the SEC or Ohio State or Michigan or Notre Dame. If Meion beats any of those teams for kids the kid was either not high up their board or the kid chose to take less $$$.

Hot take… the next Heisman candidate at CU will be the backup qb. How many sacks can you give up before your QB is out? 22 sacks in 4 games…

Do any of you have one single doubt Colorado will have the highest paid O-line in the country next season if Deon stays?

I found lanning petty and boorish. Seemed jealous of primes notoriety

Deon is collecting receipts he said lol

Do any of you have one single doubt Colorado will have the highest paid O-line in the country next season if Deon stays?

Yes. I do not believe CU has the nil funds to do that. Not like any of the powerhouse SEC, Big 10 or ND. Not like SC or Oregon. Not like Oklahoma State.

There are a lot of schools that will show up with more cash than Meion.

CU beat TCU in a shoot out by 3. Beat a sorry ass Nebraska team. Takes CSU to double over time. Improved? Yes. But the hype? The non stop avalanche of fake news propping his team up? Announcing you have Heisman candidates? No thanks. Spare me the phony act.

We don’t know what’s being said behind closed doors to recruits. Meion could very well be talking an enormous amount of shit to Oregon’s recruits OR even reaching out to Oregon players. It could become very personal for a lot of coaches to clobber Meion’s team.

Meion’s teams will only go as far as CU nil $$$ goes. He isn’t going to outbid Oregon or Texas oil $$$ or anyone in the SEC or Ohio State or Michigan or Notre Dame. If Meion beats any of those teams for kids the kid was either not high up their board or the kid chose to take less $$$.

Hot take… the next Heisman candidate at CU will be the backup qb. How many sacks can you give up before your QB is out? 22 sacks in 4 games…
You cannot be satisfied, can you?

You complain that dickert doesn't have the cache or notoriety to get into prospective recruits living rooms against other big name competition. And then bash sanders for being all hype - the exact hype that is responsible for making an irrelevant program nationally relevant. He CAN get into recruits' living rooms and his calls DO get returned. So which is it?

His style has significantly raised the profile and financial health of both the athletic department and the university as a whole. This is on top of surpassing last years' win total by 300%

I get you don't agree with the "style" but in today's collegiate climate he is getting results. Come to terms with that. That's all I have to say about that.

First, I hadn't heard “Meion”. Cracked me up and fitting.

They haven’t beat anyone and they aren’t a top 25 team. Chris Peterson on a Fox a couple weeks ago commented 5 or 6 wins was success even while getting push back from the other guy (Aacho?). I agreed then and agree now with Peterson. They should struggle from here especially without a Hunter type talent to go along with their other pieces.

On Lanning, whatever Meion might have done behind closed doors I doubt raises to the level of what goes on in the SEC. Lanning invited TV into his pregame speech to take another shot at CU. It came across as pretty strange to me along with this "crazy eyes" look as well. Talk about "look at me". I would have understood if Meion had taken a shot at Lanning and Oregon. I hadn't seen that that was the case.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
First, I hadn't heard “Meion”. Cracked me up and fitting.

They haven’t beat anyone and they aren’t a top 25 team. Chris Peterson on a Fox a couple weeks ago commented 5 or 6 wins was success even while getting push back from the other guy (Aacho?). I agreed then and agree now with Peterson. They should struggle from here especially without a Hunter type talent to go along with their other pieces.

On Lanning, whatever Meion might have done behind closed doors I doubt raises to the level of what goes on in the SEC. Lanning invited TV into his pregame speech to take another shot at CU. It came across as pretty strange to me along with this "crazy eyes" look as well. Talk about "look at me". I would have understood if Meion had taken a shot at Lanning and Oregon. I hadn't seen that that was the case.

Again, we don’t know what is said and done behind the scenes. Meion is smart enough to not be public with certain things. On the phone with a recruit? Or the kids parents? Or the high school coach? Has Meion or someone on his staff pursued an Oregon player? Meion takes shots. We just don’t see them.

Again, we don’t know what is said and done behind the scenes. Meion is smart enough to not be public with certain things. On the phone with a recruit? Or the kids parents? Or the high school coach? Has Meion or someone on his staff pursued an Oregon player? Meion takes shots. We just don’t see them.
We don't know. I just can't fathom in this environment it's anything of note. As someone above said, I think what really got to Lanning is he didn't appreciate that the focus wasn't on him and his team.

I'll agree with you that between the 2 one didn't come off nearly as smart. Sanders wears his ego on his sleeve, but most coaches have an ego that's hard to fit in a locker room. We saw some of that in Lannings pregame, and he was all in on wanting us to see it.

I found lanning petty and boorish. Seemed jealous of primes notoriety
I honestly don’t know why he would be jealous: he’s a high profile coach of a top 10 team with the power of Nike behind him. Jealous of whom exactly? He went into the game knowing full well the Ducks were going to kick some ass on a national stage so he took advantage of the opportunity to sell his program to viewers and recruits by contrasting his program to Subprime’s. The kids that Lanning wants will eat that up. Lanning is just plain smart.

We don't know. I just can't fathom in this environment it's anything of note. As someone above said, I think what really got to Lanning is he didn't appreciate that the focus wasn't on him and his team.

I'll agree with you that between the 2 one didn't come off nearly as smart. Sanders wears his ego on his sleeve, but most coaches have an ego that's hard to fit in a locker room. We saw some of that in Lannings pregame, and he was all in on wanting us to see it.

There are staffs that hate each other. I have it first hand that years ago two B10 staffs were at odds. Going so far as to rifle footballs at each other in pregame while not looking.

There are coaches that saw what he did to the CU kids in the meeting as cruel. There is bad blood.

I honestly don’t know why he would be jealous: he’s a high profile coach of a top 10 team with the power of Nike behind him. Jealous of whom exactly? He went into the game knowing full well the Ducks were going to kick some ass on a national stage so he took advantage of the opportunity to sell his program to viewers and recruits by contrasting his program to Subprime’s. The kids that Lanning wants will eat that up. Lanning is just plain smart.
He coached in the SEC. He doesn't give a s**t.

Exactly, yet for some reason Meion really seemed to get under his skin. CU isn't on Oregon's level in no way shape or form regardless of yesterday's result. The week long focus on Meion didn't make any sense when Oregon's the national level program. As he said in his pregame, let the pads speak. He just couldn't help himself though.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
There are staffs that hate each other. I have it first hand that years ago two B10 staffs were at odds. Going so far as to rifle footballs at each other in pregame while not looking.

There are coaches that saw what he did to the CU kids in the meeting as cruel. There is bad blood.
I came away initially not liking the meeting either. However, as I thought about it I don't think honesty is cruel especially when it's delivered on day 1. He was delivering a message to the returners and recruits this is what this program is going to look like. Buy in or leave. This is "bigtime football" after all. Players are now getting paid beyond scholarship and stipend. Nobody should have a problem if they are treated like professionals. Especially a coach at Nike U.

Exactly, yet for some reason Meion really seemed to get under his skin. CU isn't on Oregon's level in no way shape or form regardless of yesterday's result. The week long focus on Meion didn't make any sense when Oregon's the national level program. As he said in his pregame, let the pads speak. He just couldn't help himself though.
Like I said before, Oregon is about their brand and Coach Prime is outbranding Oregon. That is a major affront to a school like Oregon. They've paid massive amounts of money to elevate their brand to be the premier one in the conference and and among the most premier in the country.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
I came away initially not liking the meeting either. However, as I thought about it I don't think honesty is cruel especially when it's delivered on day 1. He was delivering a message to the returners and recruits this is what this program is going to look like. Buy in or leave. This is "bigtime football" after all. Players are now getting paid beyond scholarship and stipend. Nobody should have a problem if they are treated like professionals. Especially a coach at Nike U.

I didnt hear buy in or leave at all. It was just leave.

I heard a coach tell kids to just get out the door. Then had the amazing lack of self awareness to lead them in some “repeat after me” bullshit lol. After that told them they had failed CU’s fans for 20 years of losing hahaha.

He was the second, if not third and maybe fourth diff head coach kids in that room had seen. A real football coach would know it would be hard for ANY kids to be successful with that much turnover. Not Meion! Blame the kids for losing. Coaches had nothing to do with it! True NFL asshole.

If he took them all through spring ball to evaluate and then told some kids to move on, much more palatable. He at least gave them a shot. But to tell them all to leave and then have this fraud of a spring ball just using guys as practice dummies, stringing them along… nah man.

He could very well go 3-9 getting his doors blown off along the way. Did he improve the team? Yes. Barely lol

I didnt hear buy in or leave at all. It was just leave.

I heard a coach tell kids to just get out the door. Then had the amazing lack of self awareness to lead them in some “repeat after me” bullshit lol. After that told them they had failed CU’s fans for 20 years of losing hahaha.

He was the second, if not third and maybe fourth diff head coach kids in that room had seen. A real football coach would know it would be hard for ANY kids to be successful with that much turnover. Not Meion! Blame the kids for losing. Coaches had nothing to do with it! True NFL asshole.

If he took them all through spring ball to evaluate and then told some kids to move on, much more palatable. He at least gave them a shot. But to tell them all to leave and then have this fraud of a spring ball just using guys as practice dummies, stringing them along… nah man.

He could very well go 3-9 getting his doors blown off along the way. Did he improve the team? Yes. Barely lol
Do you really need a full spring to evaluate 1-11. Did Leach when he came in?

Meion said "my job is to make you quit (hit the portal or whatever)". I believe he also said they had watched their film. They were 1-11 the prior season. Something was wrong, and I like Karl Dorrell. Seems like a nice guy, but he doesn't exactly have a resume built around his teams being tough or competitive. All the former coaches aren't around to blame.

This isn't 5 or 10 years ago. If he waits until after spring ball he's actually limiting players options to find another program through the portal. His job in that meeting was to deliver a message that the loser mentality that had been the face of the program had left the building. That's doing a service to the players. Waiting is lying. How's Nebraska looking with Ruele's approach? I wonder if they win more than 3 games this year.

I'm really surprised a former player thinks today's player are so thinned skinned that they can't take the truth and some fire being lit under their collective bums.

Do you really need a full spring to evaluate 1-11. Did Leach when he came in?

Meion said "my job is to make you quit (hit the portal or whatever)". I believe he also said they had watched their film. They were 1-11 the prior season. Something was wrong, and I like Karl Dorrell. Seems like a nice guy, but he doesn't exactly have a resume built around his teams being tough or competitive. All the former coaches aren't around to blame.

This isn't 5 or 10 years ago. If he waits until after spring ball he's actually limiting players options to find another program through the portal. His job in that meeting was to deliver a message that the loser mentality that had been the face of the program had left the building. That's doing a service to the players. Waiting is lying. How's Nebraska looking with Ruele's approach? I wonder if they win more than 3 games this year.

I'm really surprised a former player thinks today's player are so thinned skinned that they can't take the truth and some fire being lit under their collective bums.

Oh I think there were guys there that were misses for sure. All of them? How can you tell if they have been coached so poorly? Do you need a full spring? To be fair to the kids that made a commitment to the university, yes. You give them every opportunity to succeed until they just cant.

As for watching CU film, I dont fcking believe that for a second. No way. In fact, I think he watches minimum film now. There is no way he sat in the film room for 40 hours watching CU go 1-11.

If he walked in and said “we are taking 25 high school players and 20 transfers, do the math.” That is different. He told the entire team to hit the portal. All of them. He could have told kids they have a roster spot but not a scholarship.

There is value in identifying who can play and who can’t. Any smart businessman would find out what assets he had worth keeping and which weren’t going to make the cut.

Matt Rhule is giving kids time to prove themselves or not. Will his season be great? No. Will Meion’s season be great? Nope. But rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic by bringing in back ups and malcontents from other teams isnt the path to glory. Its the path to winning 3 games. At some point you have to land talent from high school and develop it. No team with any kind of $$$ is gonna lose their best players to the portal. They’ll match $ for $. The blue blood schools are not gonna lose their best kids to Meion.

I dont think its about truth telling. I think its about CU selling out their athletes. If the kids did everything they’re asked to do by 2-3 diff staffs and they’re 1-11, the university has a role in that. If they are a bunch of lazy turds, then they got what they deserved. Will we ever know???

1-11 teams have issues top to bottom. It isn’t one thing, it’s everything. To single out the kids and fire them all wholesale without addressing other issues first? Not the fairest thing Ive seen happen.

Reactions: WillieThePimp
Oh I think there were guys there that were misses for sure. All of them? How can you tell if they have been coached so poorly? Do you need a full spring? To be fair to the kids that made a commitment to the university, yes. You give them every opportunity to succeed until they just cant.

As for watching CU film, I dont fcking believe that for a second. No way. In fact, I think he watches minimum film now. There is no way he sat in the film room for 40 hours watching CU go 1-11.

If he walked in and said “we are taking 25 high school players and 20 transfers, do the math.” That is different. He told the entire team to hit the portal. All of them. He could have told kids they have a roster spot but not a scholarship.

There is value in identifying who can play and who can’t. Any smart businessman would find out what assets he had worth keeping and which weren’t going to make the cut.

Matt Rhule is giving kids time to prove themselves or not. Will his season be great? No. Will Meion’s season be great? Nope. But rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic by bringing in back ups and malcontents from other teams isnt the path to glory. Its the path to winning 3 games. At some point you have to land talent from high school and develop it. No team with any kind of $$$ is gonna lose their best players to the portal. They’ll match $ for $. The blue blood schools are not gonna lose their best kids to Meion.

I dont think its about truth telling. I think its about CU selling out their athletes. If the kids did everything they’re asked to do by 2-3 diff staffs and they’re 1-11, the university has a role in that. If they are a bunch of lazy turds, then they got what they deserved. Will we ever know???

1-11 teams have issues top to bottom. It isn’t one thing, it’s everything. To single out the kids and fire them all wholesale without addressing other issues first? Not the fairest thing Ive seen happen.
Biggs, respectfully I think you are living in a different era of football. There literally is no next year. It's basically "start over from scratch" in this environment.

If you really think Meion can't tell on day 1 who is and isn't a player then neither could Leach. Leach came in and announced what a disaster the OL was pretty much from day 1. He put the entire OL in front of the cameras after a poor performance. It made some cringe, but the point was to do better. CU needed to do better.

Technically you are correct that 1-11 isn't just about the players. The coaches were already fired. Meion already set his expectations with the administration of what he needs and to basically get out of the way. Then he set his expectations with the players. You don't like how he did it, but his approach already has resulted in 2 more wins through 4 games than they had the entire previous seasons.

As they say, the "proof is in the pudding". Meion obviously got Lanning's attention. He has the Nike engine, but maybe he's already seeing players he expected to attract to Oregon leaning toward Meion. Maybe that's what the last week has been about and not what was said in a meeting 8 months ago. That's a much higher probability than feeling sorry for a players coming off a 1-11 season IMHO.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Biggs, respectfully I think you are living in a different era of football. There literally is no next year. It's basically "start over from scratch" in this environment.

If you really think Meion can't tell on day 1 who is and isn't a player then neither could Leach. Leach came in and announced what a disaster the OL was pretty much from day 1. He put the entire OL in front of the cameras after a poor performance. It made some cringe, but the point was to do better. CU needed to do better.

Technically you are correct that 1-11 isn't just about the players. The coaches were already fired. Meion already set his expectations with the administration of what he needs and to basically get out of the way. Then he set his expectations with the players. You don't like how he did it, but his approach already has resulted in 2 more wins through 4 games than they had the entire previous seasons.

As they say, the "proof is in the pudding". Meion obviously got Lanning's attention. He has the Nike engine, but maybe he's already seeing players he expected to attract to Oregon leaning toward Meion. Maybe that's what the last week has been about and not what was said in a meeting 8 months ago. That's a much higher probability than feeling sorry for a players coming off a 1-11 season IMHO.

I understand that right now you can do what he did. The NCAA allowed teams to take as many kids as they had spots for for 2 years. It was recently extended. If they go back to limiting newcomers to 25 per year, no one will be doing this any more. So right back to biz as usual.

Meion looks to be treating his team like a NFL team. He moved players out, he moved players in. What happens when he cuts 20 more guys this year that just showed up?

Leach, if memory serves, inherited 6 scholarship OL. So yes, it was a disaster. Not a stretch to say so. Meion didn't give the kids the opportunity to be paraded in front of the media this year. He cut them. Meion didn't give a second look to the CU kids. Fck them he said. Ive got Louis! Who talks like this to kids after telling them they all suck and are fired? Amazing coach? Nope. Colossal asshole. And then… he talks about how coaching kids is his calling…. but not the kids at CU. Fck those kids! lol Why teach them anything? They’re losers!

So he changed the entire roster to win 2 more games. One by 3 and another in double overtime. Barely won those games. Then right back to being outcoached and blown out. Not an amazing coaching job.

IMHO Lanning is gonna run circles around Meion in recruiting. Meion is all talk, no nil $$$. Lanning has bags and pockets full of cash. So no, I dont think Lanning gives two shits about Meion beating him for kids. Yes, I do think he sees Meion as an abomination to college football. As do other coaches.

Reactions: WillieThePimp

Sanders is doing exactly what the current system allows. What that shows is how absolutely f#cked the current system is and how bad it is for everyone.

The NCAA and its member programs f#cked the pooch when they failed to treat players fairly, but the current swing of the pendulum is worse than the system it replaced. There will be another swing back the other direction quickly. Every major sport that pays players has curbs in place to maintain some sort of competitive balance. The current system that Deion is exploiting will not be around for long and if not for COVID, it wouldn't have been there in the first place.

I understand that right now you can do what he did. The NCAA allowed teams to take as many kids as they had spots for for 2 years. It was recently extended. If they go back to limiting newcomers to 25 per year, no one will be doing this any more. So right back to biz as usual.

Meion looks to be treating his team like a NFL team. He moved players out, he moved players in. What happens when he cuts 20 more guys this year that just showed up?

Leach, if memory serves, inherited 6 scholarship OL. So yes, it was a disaster. Not a stretch to say so. Meion didn't give the kids the opportunity to be paraded in front of the media this year. He cut them. Meion didn't give a second look to the CU kids. Fck them he said. Ive got Louis! Who talks like this to kids after telling them they all suck and are fired? Amazing coach? Nope. Colossal asshole. And then… he talks about how coaching kids is his calling…. but not the kids at CU. Fck those kids! lol Why teach them anything? They’re losers!

So he changed the entire roster to win 2 more games. One by 3 and another in double overtime. Barely won those games. Then right back to being outcoached and blown out. Not an amazing coaching job.

IMHO Lanning is gonna run circles around Meion in recruiting. Meion is all talk, no nil $$$. Lanning has bags and pockets full of cash. So no, I dont think Lanning gives two shits about Meion beating him for kids. Yes, I do think he sees Meion as an abomination to college football. As do other coaches.
It's 4 games into the season. In a quarter of a season, Meoion's won 2 more games than they did all of last year. Just doing the basic math shows a significant improvement. My bet is if they stuck with last years players and coaches they would be 0-4 at this point with Lanning giving Karl Dorrell a sloppy kiss after the game.

If you are going to clean house, the way to do it is immediately. In this environment, waiting is bad for the player because spots fill up. I don't think that's saying "Fck them". It's ripping off the band-aid. If I was a player and you let me hang in the wind for 3 months "evaluating" a conclusion you already have come to it would bother me a lot more than if you were just upfront from day 1.

Lanning should have done exactly what he did on Saturday. What exactly has he built in Eugene? He literally had every advantage coming in. He has NIL, he has Nike. If he's not running circles around CU at this point he should pay Oregon back the money they are paying him. I'm not sure he outcoached Meion Saturday. Regardless of what Meion did to upgrade CU's talent, clearly there is still a significant talent gap between the 2 rosters.

Sanders is doing exactly what the current system allows. What that shows is how absolutely f#cked the current system is and how bad it is for everyone.

The NCAA and its member programs f#cked the pooch when they failed to treat players fairly, but the current swing of the pendulum is worse than the system it replaced. There will be another swing back the other direction quickly. Every major sport that pays players has curbs in place to maintain some sort of competitive balance. The current system that Deion is exploiting will not be around for long and if not for COVID, it wouldn't have been there in the first place.
The current system is awful. Awful for the sport and awful for the fans. I don't disagree with that in any way. Is Lanning or any of the "power programs" not taking advantage of the system that's currently in their favor? BYU paying for walk-on's. A&M paying millions and are terrible. dub has something like a $1M payroll this year...for hoops! A program that's awful for "good guy" coach Hop who ran half his team 2 years ago and said he "lowered his standards for them". At least Sanders was honest and quick about cleaning house.

It's 4 games into the season. In a quarter of a season, Meoion's won 2 more games than they did all of last year. Just doing the basic math shows a significant improvement. My bet is if they stuck with last years players and coaches they would be 0-4 at this point with Lanning giving Karl Dorrell a sloppy kiss after the game.

If you are going to clean house, the way to do it is immediately. In this environment, waiting is bad for the player because spots fill up. I don't think that's saying "Fck them". It's ripping off the band-aid. If I was a player and you let me hang in the wind for 3 months "evaluating" a conclusion you already have come to it would bother me a lot more than if you were just upfront from day 1.

Lanning should have done exactly what he did on Saturday. What exactly has he built in Eugene? He literally had every advantage coming in. He has NIL, he has Nike. If he's not running circles around CU at this point he should pay Oregon back the money they are paying him. I'm not sure he outcoached Meion Saturday. Regardless of what Meion did to upgrade CU's talent, clearly there is still a significant talent gap between the 2 rosters.

Meion could just as easily be 1-3 as 3-1 right now. TCU and CSU were coin tosses. They could have just started their 9 game losing streak. Yes, they are that bad. 22 sacks given up in 4 games is Paul Wulff awful. 23 yards at halftime? Who else are they gonna beat?

If a coach has no intention of keeping anyone at all and is not going to give anyone a fair look in spring ball, yes, move on. That’s piss poor coaching.

He out coached Meion. Meion does nothing but stand on the sideline with his arms folded and sunglasses on. He calls no plays. He is a hype man. That is easy to out coach.

You’re inflating the significance of those first 3 games. Let’s see how this season plays out before comparing CU 2022 to 23.

Meion could just as easily be 1-3 as 3-1 right now. TCU and CSU were coin tosses. They could have just started their 9 game losing streak. Yes, they are that bad. 22 sacks given up in 4 games is Paul Wulff awful. 23 yards at halftime? Who else are they gonna beat?

If a coach has no intention of keeping anyone at all and is not going to give anyone a fair look in spring ball, yes, move on. That’s piss poor coaching.

He out coached Meion. Meion does nothing but stand on the sideline with his arms folded and sunglasses on. He calls no plays. He is a hype man. That is easy to out coach.
CU's 3-1 period. They were 21-point dogs against TCU for a reason but won. They were 21-point dogs against Oregon even after the wins and got drilled.

Meion has Sean Lewis running the offense and Charles Kelly (former associate DC at Alabama) running the defense. Why would they sign up for someone who's just a "hype man"?

Watching them this year, they sure seem like a much better coached team than they have been at least since the Mel Tucker year.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
CU's 3-1 period. They were 21-point dogs against TCU for a reason but won. They were 21-point dogs against Oregon even after the wins and got drilled.

Meion has Sean Lewis running the offense and Charles Kelly (former associate DC at Alabama) running the defense. Why would they sign up for someone who's just a "hype man"?

Watching them this year, they sure seem like a much better coached team than they have been at least since the Mel Tucker year.

CU is 3-1 and lucky to be it. They could just as easily be 1-3. While I believe that winning is winning by 1 or by 101, there is also value in acknowledging how close the wins were.

Charles Kelly had worked his way up and down the ladder. The $$$ is best at P5. They would have taken the jobs regardless.

Last years offense had way more yards against Oregon than this years offense. They had what? 25 yards of offense at halftime? If that is better than last year that is amazing. They have no OL, they have given up 20+ sacks in 4 games… their DL and LBs stop no one. This could be a rough year.

You’re inflating the significance of those first 3 games. Let’s see how this season plays out before comparing CU 2022 to 23.
I think most are letting their hate deflate the significance of the first 3 games. I'm not seeing how I'm inflating it. I said above, getting to 5 or 6 wins is success. I think it's likely their ceiling and they struggle to stay in a lot of games the rest of this year especially without Hunter on both sides of the ball and when they inevitably loose players to injury.

They have ASU, Arizona, and Stanford as possible wins. That's it. SC, UCLA, OSU, us, and Utah? Little chance of pulling a win from there unless something totally unforeseen takes place.

You aren't wrong....but there were big warning signs flashing in the TCU and CSU wins. First games of a season are always rough and the "national runner up" talk was stupid given that TCU lost the majority of their offensive production from 2022 including the QB and top four receivers plus two offensive linemen. They lost three defensive starters to the NFL. We all see how CU's offense and defense went into the toilet with the loss of one guy....imagine losing triple that. Despite that turnover, the Horned Frogs were in position to win that game in the fourth quarter. TCU would obliterate CU if they played again and everyone knows it. The Buffaloes were lucky to get TCU in week one.

Nebraska is a terrible football team and may not win another game this season. Massey has them projected at 4-8 with only one of their two projected wins to be won by more than one point. Whipping Nebraska was unexpected but that win is going to look less impressive when Michigan runs the train on the Cornhuskers this weekend.

Colorado State isn't as bad as we made them look....but they are not a good football team and CU needing double overtime to beat them was a huge red flag. We dominated the Rams once we knocked the rust off. If the Rams get one more first down late in the 4th quarter...the Buffaloes lose. That's a bad look for a team that thinks that they are good.

Deion has upgraded the team from last year but it would not be that big of a surprise for the Buffaloes to go winless for the rest of the season. USC is going to come out a lot more focused than they did against ASU and playing at ASU is always tricky....as USC just learned. Stanford is bad and the Buffs will probably win that one. That said, Arizona barely escaped the Farm with a win. The Buffs might be double digit underdogs in four of their last five games. If the Buffaloes lose to both USC and ASU, the wheels may be falling off before they get to the Arizona game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT