ADVERTISEMENT

Dangerous game this weekend.

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
The Stanford game has a dangerous vibe to it. Week after Oregon, week before Apple Cup. A road game against an 0-2 Stanford team that hasn’t been ready offensively the past two weeks. They lost starting QB Mills just before the Duck game, and he was only able to practice once before facing Colorado last weekend.

Mills is a good QB, and Stanford always has big tight ends that pose problems in coverage. We’re going to get Stanford’s best effort of the season. Our offense will need to put up points. I think we’ll need 35+.

Mills is the top NFL prospect in the PAC in my opinion. I wasn’t aware he’d only had 1 practice before Colorado but apparently Vegas was which is probably partially why Furd is favored. Cougs better bring it.

Agreed. This one is a letdown-look ahead sandwich. I’m pretty certain we are better than Stanford. Will we be able to show it?

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Every game is tough for this team, we haven't been favored in any games yet, and probably won't be the rest of the year. Limit mistakes and force turnovers, and don't allow the big play, and this team will be in every game.

Patrol, your comment about TE's is valid. NCW, I'm not sure that Mills is our league's top pro prospect, but he is definitely a pro prospect. This will be a tough game, and the idea that we will need 35+ points is not far fetched. However, if we continue to get better in terms of mental mistakes, we should be able to win this one...we just can't afford the mental breakdowns. FWIW, Stanford is supposed to be the team of geniuses, yet they seem to make as many mental mistakes as any other team, when factored for the age & experience level of the one who made the goof. I think it is mostly about experience, though not 100%.

It'll be curious how the Stanford D does against our offense. If they contain Jayden's legs and defend the shallow cross it's going to be tough for us to get much going.

I don't know if Mills is the best QB prospect in our league, but he's certainly the best drop back passer we've faced so far, and possibly will see all year.

Oregon State and Oregon run to set up the pass. Stanford does that too, but in a different way. More pro style. Get rid of the ball quickly via short and intermediate passes. We have no idea how we'll do against that, as JDL isn't of that style. This will be a new challenge for our defense.

Stanford's D is not good. We match up well vs their secondary. Mills is not very mobile. No option. We win by 10+

It'll be curious how the Stanford D does against our offense. If they contain Jayden's legs and defend the shallow cross it's going to be tough for us to get much going.
So, in first two games, Stanford allowed 446 rushing yards, and allowed 7 rushing touchdowns and are giving up 5.3 yards per carry. We should be able to run the ball against Stanford.

So, in first two games, Stanford allowed 446 rushing yards, and allowed 7 rushing touchdowns and are giving up 5.3 yards per carry. We should be able to run the ball against Stanford.
We should be able to do anything we want against Stanford.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
The Stanford game has a dangerous vibe to it. Week after Oregon, week before Apple Cup. A road game against an 0-2 Stanford team that hasn’t been ready offensively the past two weeks. They lost starting QB Mills just before the Duck game, and he was only able to practice once before facing Colorado last weekend.

Mills is a good QB, and Stanford always has big tight ends that pose problems in coverage. We’re going to get Stanford’s best effort of the season. Our offense will need to put up points. I think we’ll need 35+.
Didn't Mills throw for 500 against us last season?

We should be able to do anything we want against Stanford.

Being able to use our outside receivers as more than decoys is essential. Stanford might not be the most athletic defense but they'll be disciplined. If they can ignore large parts of the field defensively with impunity they'll have a much better day than they have any right to having.

Being able to use our outside receivers as more than decoys is essential. Stanford might not be the most athletic defense but they'll be disciplined. If they can ignore large parts of the field defensively with impunity they'll have a much better day than they have any right to having.
Yeah. Bacon’s a nice story. But not much of an OSR threat.

Add Stanford to the list of of schools where 4 star prospects go to be 2 star players.

It goes without saying, but hopefully with 4 games left in a 6 game season, we aren't overlooking anybody! With one loss, we are essentially in our playoffs.

Patrol, your comment about TE's is valid. NCW, I'm not sure that Mills is our league's top pro prospect, but he is definitely a pro prospect. This will be a tough game, and the idea that we will need 35+ points is not far fetched. However, if we continue to get better in terms of mental mistakes, we should be able to win this one...we just can't afford the mental breakdowns. FWIW, Stanford is supposed to be the team of geniuses, yet they seem to make as many mental mistakes as any other team, when factored for the age & experience level of the one who made the goof. I think it is mostly about experience, though not 100%.
I agree, it is not Mills. The top pro prospect in the Pac 12 is sitting out this season, Oregon offensive tackle Penei Sewell. He is a top 10 NFL draft pick.

I guess I wasnt clear. I meant I believe Mills is the top NFL QB prospect in the league, not the top prospect. Apparently I wasn’t;t under the influence of coffee when I posted this am.

That was a pretty competitive game, IMO. If UO kicked the crap out of us, how are we only down one score with under 2 minutes to play? How are we only down 2 points going into the fourth quarter?

Glad Cougar
yeah I’m not sure what game these cats were watching. Cristobol was shitting his pants and would not want to play this team again. They got their big plays and got out of town with the W but that was no ass kicking.

Reactions: earldacoug
That was a pretty competitive game, IMO. If UO kicked the crap out of us, how are we only down one score with under 2 minutes to play? How are we only down 2 points going into the fourth quarter?

Glad Cougar

I get that the game looked close but watching the game, it felt like a game we had no business winning that we might have been able to steal thanks to three early turnovers. They put up 580 yds of offense against us.

We tried hard and should be proud of the effort. But let's face it, we experienced a thorough arse kicking. We gave Oregon our best shot. We didn't get theirs. We still lost. Judging by the interviews since Rolo knows it. The team knows it too. Now they have to bounce back.

It's not the time to be trash talking the culture of other programs at a time when senior leaders in our program are hitting the portal without even giving the head coach the courtesy of a heads up prior. If we can't rally, things could go south in a hurry.

I get that the game looked close but watching the game, it felt like a game we had no business winning that we might have been able to steal thanks to three early turnovers. They put up 580 yds of offense against us.

We tried hard and should be proud of the effort. But let's face it, we experienced a thorough arse kicking. We gave Oregon our best shot. We didn't get theirs. We still lost. Judging by the interviews since Rolo knows it. The team knows it too. Now they have to bounce back.

It's not the time to be trash talking the culture of other programs at a time when senior leaders in our program are hitting the portal without even giving the head coach the courtesy of a heads up prior. If we can't rally, things could go south in a hurry.
What I've read and heard from Rolo and the players, I doubt they think we gave UO our best shot. There were plays that we didn't make but could have which might have changed the outcome of the game. Sure, Oregon can say the same thing. Our effort was very good, the team played hard. Execution wasn't there a lot of the time in the second half and the Ducks made adjustments. When I see the term "ass kicking", I think about the last few Apple Cups or the days when UO, under Chip Kelly or Bellotti, would beat us like a drum by 4 or 5 TDs.....not a game when we were within striking range under 2 minutes to go.

I prefer to give our kids credit for keeping the game close, not blame UO for not being able to run up the score.

Glad Cougar

Oregon looked like the better team to me, but calling it a beating is ridiculous. Oregon is unanimously regarded to be the best program on the West coast for many years now, and we squared up with a true freshmen QB who lost his all-conference running back 2 weeks before the season kicked off and a new coaching staff that has had what? 2 months to install his system? We had over 400 yards of offense and were within 1 score late in the game.

Listen, I'm not a fight picker on here, but calling that an ass kicking is nothing but a fire starting remark. If we played Oregon again, they would likely beat us, but the rematch would take place after de Laura has several more games under his belt, and our best offensive weapon in Borghi could be available. Since you're hypothesizing, you'd have to acknowledge that those factors could lead our offense to put up 500+ yards on their defense, and there aren't a lot of prognosticators out there who call that an ass beating.

Oregon looked like the better team to me, but calling it a beating is ridiculous. Oregon is unanimously regarded to be the best program on the West coast for many years now, and we squared up with a true freshmen QB who lost his all-conference running back 2 weeks before the season kicked off and a new coaching staff that has had what? 2 months to install his system? We had over 400 yards of offense and were within 1 score late in the game.

Listen, I'm not a fight picker on here, but calling that an ass kicking is nothing but a fire starting remark. If we played Oregon again, they would likely beat us, but the rematch would take place after de Laura has several more games under his belt, and our best offensive weapon in Borghi could be available. Since you're hypothesizing, you'd have to acknowledge that those factors could lead our offense to put up 500+ yards on their defense, and there aren't a lot of prognosticators out there who call that an ass beating.

If the two teams were to play at the end of the season I think WSU has a higher ceiling for improvement. Does it close the gap and lead to a WSU win? Dunno. But it would be a closer game down the stretch. Assuming the refs didnt step in to make sure UO won.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Echoing several of you...our likely magnitude of improvement is highest in the PAC from start to end of season. Lots of reasons, but the new system to learn and the large number of young players are two very good examples of why. We got the best team on the schedule (Oregon) out of the way and lost by two scores, putting up enough points and yards to win against several of the other people we play this year. I want to see us play a complete, relatively mistake free game against Stanford. If we do that, we win. And that would set us up for how we need to play in the Apple Cup.

If the two teams were to play at the end of the season I think WSU has a higher ceiling for improvement. Does it close the gap and lead to a WSU win? Dunno. But it would be a closer game down the stretch. Assuming the refs didnt step in to make sure UO won.

Agreed that we'd play better in an end of season matchup assuming everyone is healthy. But the score might not be closer as I don't think Oregon turns it over on three straight possessions again.

I'm actually pleased with how the season has gone so far. I just think we've taken a step back from last year. I don't think we will be the favorite in any of our games from here on out. I think we have a 45% shot this weekend against Stanford this weekend. Plus the amount of freshmen and sophomores contributing is very positive for the future.

Agreed that we'd play better in an end of season matchup assuming everyone is healthy. But the score might not be closer as I don't think Oregon turns it over on three straight possessions again.

I'm actually pleased with how the season has gone so far. I just think we've taken a step back from last year. I don't think we will be the favorite in any of our games from here on out. I think we have a 45% shot this weekend against Stanford this weekend. Plus the amount of freshmen and sophomores contributing is very positive for the future.

Taken a step back from last season? That might be true, but after the 2 game sample, we've played better against Oregon State and about the same vs. Oregon. Yes, I realize the final score against UO was closer last year, but we gained and allowed about the same yardage with a senior QB and a healthy Max Borghi.

Again, you might be right. This season could implode, as it has for many programs given the crazy climate we're all dealing with, but as of today, there aren't a lot of data points that favor our 2019 team over this emerging 2020 club.

Reactions: earldacoug
Taken a step back from last season? That might be true, but after the 2 game sample, we've played better against Oregon State and about the same vs. Oregon. Yes, I realize the final score against UO was closer last year, but we gained and allowed about the same yardage with a senior QB and a healthy Max Borghi.

Again, you might be right. This season could implode, as it has for many programs given the crazy climate we're all dealing with, but as of today, there aren't a lot of data points that favor our 2019 team over this emerging 2020 club.
Any season can implode, but when you see a freshman QB running down the field throwing blocks, and guys flying around having fun the way this group seems to, I just don’t see it. Now we may go .500, we may lose several close games on some hard luck ( ie season w freshman Gesser) but nothing I’m seeing leads to a season implosion. I think every game is gonna be a fun watch...hopefully we end up on the right side of most of them.

Oregon St had the dumbest stretch of luck in the 4th quarter of a FB game I've ever seen and we still beat them. The receiver who caught a TD with 5 defenders surrounding him. Jahad dropping a sure pick which should have iced the game. The onside kick which bounced off one of our players legs and deflected right back to an OSU defender who recovered. The pass that bounced off the normally sure handed Dez Patmon's shoulder pads for a pick.

That series of unfortunate events took a comfortable double digit win and turned it into an epic comeback.

Now the Oregon last year caused a minor meltdown from some last year who felt we should have won. Gordon threw a pick 6. And we had the lead until a questionable kicker booted it through the uprights as time expired. This was against the best team in the conference.

This year people are pumped we kept it within two scores against the best team in the conference. That says something about people's true feelings on the teams talent level.

Taken as a full game, yes we played them pretty tough. The inability to turn the turnovers into points was a problem that foreshadowed trouble early - we settled for a FG after one, got nothing out of another - so the lead before halftime should have been 30-7 instead of 19-7, and then the long TD before half makes less impact. Instead, it swung momentum.

Ducks made us look better in the first half with the turnovers, which gave us 10 points. No telling if they would have turned those into points themselves. But we were beaten soundly in the 2nd half. 29-10. Offense ran 9 plays for 20 yards, and only had the ball for 4:14 in the 3rd quarter. D managed only one stop and gave up 4 TDs.

My expectations of the D, based on last season, weren't high. They've had moments where they've looked pretty good. My concern now is that in both of our games this season, they've been picked apart in the 2nd half. I don't think it's lack of effort, or lack of talent. It might be lack of familiarity and practice in the new scheme. But what's clear is that opponents are making better halftime adjustments than our D is.

The problem in that game was our D made nice stops on 1st and 2nd down...but couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. And most of the time, they were in a position to make a play.

I mean we tip a pass on 3rd down w pressure on the QB and it goes straight to the TE on a critical 3rd down.

Our D was on the field too long in the 3rd quarter.

At the end of the day, we got beat by a better team with a really good offensive coordinator and scheme. But we certainly didn't get our asses kicked. That's Poppycock.

It took Leach until yr 4 to beat the Ducks...and his 3rd yr to beat the Beavers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT