ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn of the mega camp

BiggsCoug

Hall Of Fame
Feb 5, 2003
What I think you'll see in the future....

Full scouting departments that literally send teams of scouts all over the country to cover all the camps searching for kids...

Assistant coaches branding themselves like never before. Even going so far as to start recruiting kids even if they aren't affiliated with a school. They'll build relationships and then use them to land jobs in the hopes kids wil follow...

I think you'll see more kids willing to leave home for opportunities. Kids will cross the country to find playing time...

The only way you find a sleeper is if he never goes to a mega camp and gets his name out....

Helicopter parents get worse. Kids will fly all over the nation trying to get in front of different staffs to get their name out...

Just a few thoughts.

I don't know about the free agent assistant coaches but the so called Diamond in the Rough is going the way of the dinosaur in Football and Basketball.

What I think you'll see in the future....

Full scouting departments that literally send teams of scouts all over the country to cover all the camps searching for kids...

Assistant coaches branding themselves like never before. Even going so far as to start recruiting kids even if they aren't affiliated with a school. They'll build relationships and then use them to land jobs in the hopes kids wil follow...

I think you'll see more kids willing to leave home for opportunities. Kids will cross the country to find playing time...

The only way you find a sleeper is if he never goes to a mega camp and gets his name out....

Helicopter parents get worse. Kids will fly all over the nation trying to get in front of different staffs to get their name out...

Just a few thoughts.

Yep. I don't see this as sustainable in the longer term though. Big money is so corrupting.

To add to the prognostications...IMHO college football is like real estate in 2003/4 or the tech stock market in 1997/98. The bubble is building. Not to the point that it will blow, but definitely building. The pressures include money, media and head trauma. Not sure exactly what will trigger the breaking of the bubble, but it looks like it is coming.

The TV deals will blow up. ESPN is cutting talent to pay bills.

What happens when the TV deals can't pay? What happens when schools owe millions on building projects and can't pay because the TV deals can't pay?

The TV deals will blow up. ESPN is cutting talent to pay bills.

What happens when the TV deals can't pay? What happens when schools owe millions on building projects and can't pay because the TV deals can't pay?

Paul Allen will bail us out...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT