ADVERTISEMENT

DE decommits to Boise State

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
Asia Kelemete a 6'4 220 DE who had flipped to WSU from Boise ST flipped back to Boise St. Papa Joe s recruit not happy after Papa joe left for greener pastures. The recruiting effect of Papa Joe is being felt and we have not seen the last/

Asia Kelemete a 6'4 220 DE who had flipped to WSU from Boise ST flipped back to Boise St. Papa Joe s recruit not happy after Papa joe left for greener pastures. The recruiting effect of Papa Joe is being felt and we have not seen the last/

Any chance that this has nothing to do with Joe and everything to do with the new commit that was announced?

Silly man. The new DE commit is not a 4 or 5 star recruit. Asia K had more and better offers than the recent commit. If you read the article, you will see that he said that after papa Joe left left, he started to rethink his commitment. So the blunt answer is a resounding NO!

Silly man. The new DE commit is not a 4 or 5 star recruit. Asia K had more and better offers than the recent commit. If you read the article, you will see that he said that after papa Joe left left, he started to rethink his commitment. So the blunt answer is a resounding NO!

The coaches could have cooled on him. You have no idea.

Yeah with the trouble they are having holding on to commits ,they are going to ask him to decommit. ? They just had a another DE ,Tyron, decommit from the same position Papa joe s departure has hurt coug football recruiting. Some people here seemingly just do not want to admit that. Papa joe is gone and he did a good job here but his departure is hurting recruiting Good guy and he had some valid financial reasons for leaving. But i hope he does not let the door hit his fat ass as he depart,, He is now just an ex coach who has left. hero worship should not be in order.

Yeah with the trouble they are having holding on to commits ,they are going to ask him to decommit. ? They just had a another DE ,Tyron, decommit from the same position Papa joe s departure has hurt coug football recruiting. Some people here seemingly just do not want to admit that. Papa joe is gone and he did a good job here but his departure is hurting recruiting Good guy and he had some valid financial reasons for leaving. But i hope he does not let the door hit his fat ass as he depart,, He is now just an ex coach who has left. hero worship should not be in order.

You realize that we have a lot of guys at the DE position. It would not be surprising if one was encouraged to consider his other options. There are no direct quotes from Kelemete in the article you referenced, so you have no idea why he bolted.

Your sky is falling narrative is tired. Find some new material.

Reactions: YakiCoug
What makes you think that? Just because he got an offer from TCU doesn't mean anything. He's from Washington, both of his coaches that recruited him at Wazzu are still here.

TCU is Wulffing it. One OL commit. They probably offered everyone west of the Mississippi today. Tomorrow TCU will offer everyone east of the Mississippi.

Reactions: YakiCoug

If only you applied the same level of scrutiny to Ernie Kent...

TCU is Wulffing it. One OL commit. They probably offered everyone west of the Mississippi today. Tomorrow TCU will offer everyone east of the Mississippi.
We can probably expect a few more TCU offers to PAC-12 commits. Sonny Dykes just jumped aboard the TCU staff this weekend.

The scrutiny of Kent continues. It seems like everyone and their brother are scrutinizing Kent. For Some reason papa Joe is getting a free pass I can only point out the obvious. What people s reactions to it,i have no control of.

For some odd reason they ave offers out to a couple of DE s. One will go to Michigan State and the other will probably end up elsewhere

The scrutiny of Kent continues. It seems like everyone and their brother are scrutinizing Kent. For Some reason papa Joe is getting a free pass I can only point out the obvious. What people s reactions to it,i have no control of.

You're not scrutinizing Joe. You're spewing that the recruiting class is falling apart because he left.

FWIW, Kent deserves scrutiny because our basketball team is terrible despite having four senior starters. Joe did a good job while he was here and he's gone. I'm disappointed that Joe chased some cash (regardless of the reasons) but I'm ready to move on and quit thinking about him. People expend an awful lot of energy worrying about these guys when they are gone and project a lot of their own feelings onto them. Nobody knows that Joe left specifically because of the SCB incident. It may be a factor but you could also argue that too much has been made of that situation. If our players had been better citizens, we wouldn't be talking about it. Blame goes both ways and sometimes.....it's just better to move on and quit trying to decide what level of blame everyone deserves.

The recruiting class isn't falling apart cause Joe left, it always falls apart at this time when other schools don't get their a's. They take their b's who are our a's.

Unfortunately the cougs have lost a coach at this crucial time for the last three years. The class is not falling apart. We have lost some good players and will probably gained a few. One can speculate all they want. The real measuring stick will come on signing day. The cougs lost big time last year due to a coaching deflection. It will interesting to see how this years class turns out

Unfortunately the cougs have lost a coach at this crucial time for the last three years. The class is not falling apart. We have lost some good players and will probably gained a few. One can speculate all they want. The real measuring stick will come on signing day. The cougs lost big time last year due to a coaching deflection. It will interesting to see how this years class turns out

Actually, no they didn't lose out big time last year due to a coaching defection.

The recruiting class isn't falling apart cause Joe left, it always falls apart at this time when other schools don't get their a's. They take their b's who are our a's.

OK, so we've got two recent decommits, both right after Joe left.

The kid who decommitted for Boise State was the only (public, at least) recruit in our class who Joe was point on, and cited Joe leaving on another site as a reason for wanting to think about things and open them up, saying he was going to visit BSU as soon as the Joe news came out. It doesn't get much clearer than that, and I don't think we need an erroneous implication that Boise State is targeting our "As" as their "Bs." That's not true.

With Tryon, he decommitted and flipped to Washington a couple days after the Joe news went official. I don't know if he's said anything about Joe leaving, or that he'd ever attribute it to that directly (he's going to be more motivated to focus on all the "opportunities" at UW in any comments, and I doubt he'll feel compelled to say much at all regarding why he moved on from WSU), but it's hard to see how his position coach leaving wouldn't affect things. Might he have gone with UW anyway? Yeah, absolutely.

Last edited:
FWIW, Kent deserves scrutiny because our basketball team is terrible despite having four senior starters. Joe did a good job while he was here and he's gone. I'm disappointed that Joe chased some cash (regardless of the reasons) but I'm ready to move on and quit thinking about him. People expend an awful lot of energy worrying about these guys when they are gone and project a lot of their own feelings onto them. Nobody knows that Joe left specifically because of the SCB incident. It may be a factor but you could also argue that too much has been made of that situation. If our players had been better citizens, we wouldn't be talking about it. Blame goes both ways and sometimes.....it's just better to move on and quit trying to decide what level of blame everyone deserves.

Our men's basketball team is 3 and 20 in conference play overall. EK deserves the criticism he's getting. As for Joe Salave'a, he definitely did some very good things while at WSU, and he had a hand in our 13-5 conference record over the last two years. However, as I said before, if guys named Bartley, Mattox, and Fehoko (assuming he's still in school) don't grow into d-tackles the way Cooper and Vaeao did, our d-line could be a big mess after this season. Big Joe had a hand in that too.

Our men's basketball team is 3 and 20 in conference play overall. EK deserves the criticism he's getting. As for Joe Salave'a, he definitely did some very good things while at WSU, and he had a hand in our 13-5 conference record over the last two years. However, as I said before, if guys named Bartley, Mattox, and Fehoko (assuming he's still in school) don't grow into d-tackles the way Cooper and Vaeao did, our d-line could be a big mess after this season. Big Joe had a hand in that too.

You're last sentence is why I'm not all that torn up about Joe leaving. I think Joe did a good job, but a review of our depth chart and recruiting makes it obvious that there is room for improvement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kelemete originally chose Boise State over WSU when Big Joe wasn't rumored to be going anywhere. He's just going back to his first choice.

Correct The only ones hurting coug basketball recruiting are the coug coaches, To compare Kent and Papa joe is not a good comparison I have supported Kent. However,my criticism of Papa Joe has zero to do with Coach Leach,i support him and is program and hope they can keep the commits together and add a few more good ones at needed positions.However,if one of Kent s assistants left,i would not be sad.

How about Deontae Burnett, Demarcus Ayers(who played last night for the steelers), gardenhire, vizcaino....the list goes on. Teams come and take our better recruits when they need to. Maybe the Boise st flip was Joe only thing, who knows, but overall this happens every year.

How about Deontae Burnett, Demarcus Ayers(who played last night for the steelers), gardenhire, vizcaino....the list goes on. Teams come and take our better recruits when they need to. Maybe the Boise st flip was Joe only thing, who knows, but overall this happens every year.

You still seem to be lumping in Boise State with, e.g., UW or USC. What you're talking about are more prestigious schools showing up late to scoop up their Plan B kids who are our Plan A kids (as you may recall, since those were your own words earlier in the thread). That was true with kids like Burnett, Gardenhire, and Vizcaino, and it probably was true with Tryon, although I think it was relevant that Coach Joe left; he had beaten out UW for kids previously, many of whom spurned offers from UW and Oregon. Vastly different to have a kid return to Boise State. It's not like Boise State missed out on a 4-star recruit and decided to come back to try to recruit Kelemete again. It's much more likely they stayed on him to an extent and then pounced again when Joe left (as I noted above, Kelemete gave quotes on another service saying that Joe leaving changed things for him). Similarly, Ayers was a Texas kid who wound up staying closer to home at Houston after our 2012 season was a clown show and it was looking like Leach might not even make it in Pullman. It wasn't USC, UW, or Oregon showing up in mid-January and raiding our commit list. This was Houston that we're talking about.

Local Boise Kid's move to flip to WSU in first place was bold.

Now he would rather play in Mountain West than Pac12. Not sure if that's bold or peer pressure.

I'm agreeing that klememte could very well be just the loss of Salavea. But, overall....whether it be loss of coach or other schools, who have had more success, coming after our commits, it always happens. And always will.

If there was an early signing period ,it would help. It seems like the cougs identify players and then the other schools pounce. The staff seems to be great in identifying under recruited players with real talent

Last year,there were 4 recruits who had committed and did not sign on signing day. In each case the deflecting coach was their primary recruiter. Yes that is a big time loss. Hoepefully this year that will not happen. The coug staff,perhaps now more experienced, is making multiple late offers to players.

Last year,there were 4 recruits who had committed and did not sign on signing day. In each case the deflecting coach was their primary recruiter. Yes that is a big time loss. Hoepefully this year that will not happen. The coug staff,perhaps now more experienced, is making multiple late offers to players.

Who was this "deflecting" coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT