ADVERTISEMENT

D'Eriq King

Fab5Coug

Hall Of Fame
Nov 10, 2007
You guys see this story about D'Eriq King? He's choosing to red shirt this year, I guess to work on his skills for the NFL. May or may not return to Houston.

Kind of an odd deal and sounds like he's got some folks making decisions for him.

Lot of speculation that he is doing this to transfer someplace like Oklahoma where he could compete for the national championship and make a run for the Heisman.

You guys see this story about D'Eriq King? He's choosing to red shirt this year, I guess to work on his skills for the NFL. May or may not return to Houston.

Kind of an odd deal and sounds like he's got some folks making decisions for him.

I saw that. Makes sense for Houston.

This new redshirt rule has the potential to be abused. Jalen McCleskey of Tulane, who, ironically, caught the game winning TD against Houston a couple of weeks ago, left Oklahoma St last year by choosing to redshirt after a couple of games. To me, this is quitting on your teammates and epitomizes selfishness.

Lot of speculation that he is doing this to transfer someplace like Oklahoma where he could compete for the national championship and make a run for the Heisman.

If that's the case, then man, that is a chump move. I get transferring, but quitting mid season? Yuck.

The kid doesn’t make the decision to redshirt . Sounds like Dana is hoping to have him back next year to make the run . Starting 1-3 probably isn’t where he expected to be

The kid doesn’t make the decision to redshirt . Sounds like Dana is hoping to have him back next year to make the run . Starting 1-3 probably isn’t where he expected to be

If you quit the team, you are making the decision to redshirt.

That kid looked terrible to me. Only saw him against us, so could be a one off. Sounds like he had good numbers last season, but numbers don't always tell the tale. Seems like a QB that looks great when he gets game after game of receivers busting wide open on broken coverages, but can't operate at the level necessary to move the ball down the field when windows are tight and they are tight in the NFL

That kid looked terrible to me. Only saw him against us, so could be a one off. Sounds like he had good numbers last season, but numbers don't always tell the tale. Seems like a QB that looks great when he gets game after game of receivers busting wide open on broken coverages, but can't operate at the level necessary to move the ball down the field when windows are tight and they are tight in the NFL

He isn't a passing QB. The only game I've seen him in was against WSU too. He can play the position with his legs and arm. His legs are much better than his arm. If I were drafting between AG and DK, it would be AG every time.

The NFL is a passing league. Maybe there is some value with RPO??? But that still doesn't remove him from having to throw the ball down the field and make reads. None of which I thought he could do at a high level.

My question is this... If UofH were 4-0 and top 15 in the nation, does he still make the decision to redshirt??? I have no doubts he will be leaving UofH.

He isn't a passing QB. The only game I've seen him in was against WSU too. He can play the position with his legs and arm. His legs are much better than his arm. If I were drafting between AG and DK, it would be AG every time.

The NFL is a passing league. Maybe there is some value with RPO??? But that still doesn't remove him from having to throw the ball down the field and make reads. None of which I thought he could do at a high level.

My question is this... If UofH were 4-0 and top 15 in the nation, does he still make the decision to redshirt??? I have no doubts he will be leaving UofH.

No....he doesn't leave, or at least I don't think so. Would you recruit a QB leading a 4-0 team and have them quit. I didn't realize he quit, when it came over the ticker it said he is redshirting. I assumed Holgerson did it because his squad had such a rough start.

No coach, except 9-40, redshirts players who could start because they are trying to win next year. Redshirting because of injury? Sure. Coaches know they get fired if the team completely craps the bed. Dana's going to be on the hot seat if Houston misses a bowl this year.

No....he doesn't leave, or at least I don't think so. Would you recruit a QB leading a 4-0 team and have them quit. I didn't realize he quit, when it came over the ticker it said he is redshirting. I assumed Holgerson did it because his squad had such a rough start.

No coach, except 9-40, redshirts players who could start because they are trying to win next year. Redshirting because of injury? Sure. Coaches know they get fired if the team completely craps the bed. Dana's going to be on the hot seat if Houston misses a bowl this year.

I think are numerous examples of coaches not burning redshirts and the like in the past because burning the shirt did little to achieve the overall team goal.

Hot seat after one year? Maybe.

I think are numerous examples of coaches not burning redshirts and the like in the past because burning the shirt did little to achieve the overall team goal.

Hot seat after one year? Maybe.

I can find zero examples of a coach redshirting a starting QB because they wanted to save him for next year. No position has more to do with achieving the team goal than QB. Plus redshirting a starting senior QB to compete later is the ultimate wave the white flag move and you risk turning a rocky season into one where you lose the team and drop the rest of your games.

It's odd for your mind to go to a head coach quitting on his team for some mythical better future when hearing this news. Especially when the likely scenario was a player quiting on his team.

I think him redshirting is a polite way for Holgerson to move on from a shitty QB and have the kid not lose a year of eligibility. I could be wrong of course, but I read it as a situation where Dana finally reached the point where he couldn't play the kid anymore and told him what his options were. This new redshirt rule opens up all kinds of things that we've never even thought possible before. For a new coach, he gets a 4 game tryout with the players already on the roster. If a QB especially doesn't fit your system, redshirt-tranfer without losing a season.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I can find zero examples of a coach redshirting a starting QB because they wanted to save him for next year. No position has more to do with achieving the team goal than QB. Plus redshirting a starting senior QB to compete later is the ultimate wave the white flag move and you risk turning a rocky season into one where you lose the team and drop the rest of your games.

It's odd for your mind to go to a head coach quitting on his team for some mythical better future when hearing this news. Especially when the likely scenario was a player quiting on his team.

I can think of two scenarios....Drew Bledsoe and Jason Gesser. Bledsoe forced Price's hand. He missed half of the 1990 season. He didn't play Bledsoe because it was turning the season around. Bledsoe's shirt was burned in a JV game against Walla Walla.

I can think of two scenarios....Drew Bledsoe and Jason Gesser. Bledsoe forced Price's hand. He missed half of the 1990 season. He didn't play Bledsoe because it was turning the season around. Bledsoe's shirt was burned in a JV game against Walla Walla.

Gesser wouldn't have started in 1998. He didn't even start in 1999 as a redshirt freshman. Bledsoe never redshirted. Try again.

Playing JV retained Bledsoe's redshirt. (The NWAAC JCs one by one dropped football so nobody for JV team to play.)

What happened is after a few weeks one of Price's assistants asked Price "Who are we redshirting him for, the Phoenix Cardinals?"

That and Bledsoe's family turned Price around.

There is a great column at the time by Seattle Times columnist (and major UW rumpswab) Blaine Newnham saying that by burning Bledsoe's redshirt, Price was ruining Bledsoe's career.

Two year's later after the 1992 season, Newnham had a column that Bledsoe needed to enter the NFL draft before Price ruined Bledsoe's career.

I know of one specific instance where a coach redshirted his starting QB to save him for the next year. Of course, when he did that, he actually redshirted 18 of his best players including every senior that he had available to do so. That coach was Jim Dickey at Kansas State University in 1981. KSU went 6-4-1 in 1982 using those redshirted players and made an appearance in the Independence Bowl. That was the first and only bowl game played by KSU prior to their hiring of Bill Snyder in 1989. Unfortunately for Jim Dickey, KSU went 3-8 the next year and by the third game of the 1985 season, he was unemployed after resigning under pressure.

Gesser wouldn't have started in 1998. He didn't even start in 1999 as a redshirt freshman. Bledsoe never redshirted. Try again.

You are correct Bledsoe never redshirted because HE forced Price's hand . Price WAS redshirting him , that is why he didn’t play the first six games . Price had intended to redshirt Bledsoe .

Gesser in 98 was as good as mencke and birnie, and he didn’t play in 99 because he was injured .

If I remember correctly unfortunately Tuels redshirt was burned .

Last edited:
I don't think is abuse of the redshirt rule, but rather a savvy implementation of it. The teams starts off 1-3, and it's apparent that this kid needs to work on his passing in order to succeed in the air raid with the hopes of making it to the NFL as a QB.

So why not redshirt, work on your game, and get an extra year of free tuition and acquired life maturity? I'm not in favor of paying student athletes, but this type of thing makes perfect sense to me.

I don't think is abuse of the redshirt rule, but rather a savvy implementation of it. The teams starts off 1-3, and it's apparent that this kid needs to work on his passing in order to succeed in the air raid with the hopes of making it to the NFL as a QB.

So why not redshirt, work on your game, and get an extra year of free tuition and acquired life maturity? I'm not in favor of paying student athletes, but this type of thing makes perfect sense to me.

It works for Dana because he is in his first year, if this was year two and he was struggling not sure it would be that savvy as programs have a little less patience these days.

This new redshirt rule has the potential to be abused. Jalen McCleskey of Tulane, who, ironically, caught the game winning TD against Houston a couple of weeks ago, left Oklahoma St last year by choosing to redshirt after a couple of games. To me, this is quitting on your teammates and epitomizes selfishness.
Leach basically addressed this in his 9/23 presser. The questioner about King's redshirt suggested it might be for him to prepare to transfer, and Leach replied that if it was, he'd cut anyone who took a redshirt just to transfer. That's a sentiment I agree with wholeheartedly.

If you don't want to contribute, get out.

Leach basically addressed this in his 9/23 presser. The questioner about King's redshirt suggested it might be for him to prepare to transfer, and Leach replied that if it was, he'd cut anyone who took a redshirt just to transfer. That's a sentiment I agree with wholeheartedly.

Amen, my man!

Exactly, why waste your time coaching a kid so he can go play for someone else next year. You wanna voluntarily redshirt? Great, there's the SRC, go knock yourself out.

Reactions: 425cougfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT