ADVERTISEMENT

Dishon Jackson on the move again....this time to Iowa State

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
If they are going to be free agents every year, the departing school should get some sort of compensation. They need to get a handle on NIL. The NCAA needs to reach out to a New York marketing firm for price appraisals for what each kid is worth to the NIL.

How much NIL money should John Mateer get coming out of high school. How about the number 15 kid from high school, what is his true NIL value for name, image and likeness. They don't have any.

If they are going to be free agents every year, the departing school should get some sort of compensation. They need to get a handle on NIL. The NCAA needs to reach out to a New York marketing firm for price appraisals for what each kid is worth to the NIL.

How much NIL money should John Mateer get coming out of high school. How about the number 15 kid from high school, what is his true NIL value for name, image and likeness. They don't have any.
Should some third party entity determine what you are worth?

It’s getting stupid. I mentioned the big kid from Colorado is in the portal again too. Just transferred from (MSU?) last year.

It’s going to be funny to start seeing these kids hitting the job market. Newsflash, 99% of you will need a paycheck not playing your sport. Am I hiring Ron Stone, the kid who stayed true to his commitment for 6 years or the kid who’s resume basically says, “as soon as you hire me I’m looking down the street for a better payday”.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
It’s getting stupid. I mentioned the big kid from Colorado is in the portal again too. Just transferred from (MSU?) last year.

It’s going to be funny to start seeing these kids hitting the job market. Newsflash, 99% of you will need a paycheck not playing your sport. Am I hiring Ron Stone, the kid who stayed true to his commitment for 6 years or the kid who’s resume basically says, “as soon as you hire me I’m looking down the street for a better payday”.
Hey Hey Hey ... "respect my decision"

is the Big Kid From Colorado getting paid to move? If so, he should move.

Clearly, he isn’t going to the NBA so what is wrong with him maximizing his revenue while in college?

If after college you’re interviewing him for a job, you wouldn’t want to hear his story of perseverance? his thought process to adapt to a rapidly changing industry?

You would seriously eliminate a candidate because he stood firm in his decision as a 17 year old kid to stay put while the adults around him navigated to “get their’s”?

Clearly, he isn’t going to the NBA so what is wrong with him maximizing his revenue while in college?

If after college you’re interviewing him for a job, you wouldn’t want to hear his story of perseverance? his thought process to adapt to a rapidly changing industry?

You would seriously eliminate a candidate because he stood firm in his decision as a 17 year old kid to stay put while the adults around him navigated to “get their’s”?
Candidates are eliminated all day every day because their resumes indicate they are job hoppers. Not to say it doesn’t work out for the employer from time to time to have high turnover depending on the industry, but many skilled positions you’ll take a net loss as a company if your employee leaves within a year (Cost to recruit, train, onboard, offboard). So yeah, Ron Stone is a no brainer. He’ll work hard, learn, get better, and be a future leader if you keep him happy vs the kid who’s distracted by people telling him he can make an extra $1 an hour.

Well I would agree but a decent part of the compensation for most kids is getting tuition, room, and board. WE seem to forget that is even part of the discussion.

Reactions: 78Chief
Candidates are eliminated all day every day because their resumes indicate they are job hoppers. Not to say it doesn’t work out for the employer from time to time to have high turnover depending on the industry, but many skilled positions you’ll take a net loss as a company if your employee leaves within a year (Cost to recruit, train, onboard, offboard). So yeah, Ron Stone is a no brainer. He’ll work hard, learn, get better, and be a future leader if you keep him happy vs the kid who’s distracted by people telling him he can make an extra $1 an hour.
That used to be the case but not anymore. If you’re not moving jobs every five years or at least putting out resumes you are selling yourself short. The days of getting a job and working your way up are mostly gone.

That used to be the case but not anymore. If you’re not moving jobs every five years or at least putting out resumes you are selling yourself short. The days of getting a job and working your way up are mostly gone.

It really depends on the company and your personal situation. The firm that I work for now has been great for me and has a great culture that encourages and rewards people that do good work. My pay has increased by 46% in the past 7 years since they acquired my former firm. I'm in line to be promoted to the team leader position of my local engineering group next year and we've already identified the guy that will follow me when I retire in 9 or so years. Folks that are willing and able to take on more responsibility advance to project management positions with appropriate pay. It's great and for 95% of the people in my firm, they would be fools to leave.

That said, we have had a handful of high profile departures in the past couple years. They felt that there obstacles to their career growth that were insurmountable without changing jobs.

Also to your point, working for my new firm has shown me that I probably should have left my former job in 2014. The owner was busy stockpiling cash for retirement and was using the 2008 recession as an excuse to keep salaries depressed. One of our best employees was threatening to leave and the owner was going to let him walk. I volunteered to take a $2,000 pay cut to allow the employee to get a raise and the owner took me up on it with the idea that it would be restored as the economy allowed. When my current employer bought out the company in 2017, I was only making 4% more than I was in 2013. I allowed a comfortable work environment with a good culture blind me to the fact that I was being treated poorly on the paycheck side.

So, it really depends on the situation and the company. If you are looking around and wondering if you are being treated right, it means that you are probably not being treated right.

“…My pay has increased by 46% in the past 7 years since they acquired my former firm”

Exactly.

You got paid to stay.

Now imagine getting half of those increases, told NO when you inquire about a raise then while stewing over getting left behind, an incoming phone call arrives from a trusted headhunter with a New opportunity fitting your skillset at twice or three times compensation?

Why should players in TODAY’s environment say no?

“…My pay has increased by 46% in the past 7 years since they acquired my former firm”

Exactly.

You got paid to stay.

Now imagine getting half of those increases, told NO when you inquire about a raise then while stewing over getting left behind, an incoming phone call arrives from a trusted headhunter with a New opportunity fitting your skillset at twice or three times compensation?

Why should players in TODAY’s environment say no?

I don't get mad at players who are high performers that aren't getting compensated who choose to leave. I think the money being thrown around is ridiculous, but if that's what the market will pay...that's what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT