ADVERTISEMENT

NIL in general and Mateer

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
There is a cute article on Brand X about Mateer partnering with a local BBQ vendor. Not much money in it, but a great story. I love that guy, Wonder if he would marry me? Now this what NIL should look like.

The Supreme Court ruling is long and confusing to this layman. Maybe some bored attorney can read this and opine.

But it appears to open the door to NIL and leave it up to the NCAA to modify rules to allow it. So, the NCAA responded by apparently just leaving it up to the individual school to do whatever the F they wanted. Thus the Collectives were born, which bear little resemblance to compensation for actual NIL payments that I believe the Supreme Court envisioned as agreements like Mateer's.

So what now that the horse is out of the barn and roaming free? Two thoughts, both ridiculous but all I have. 1, The poor schools with not much NIL $ (WSU for example), could band together and go to court arguing that Collectives violate the spirit of the Supreme Court ruling. 2. The worthless chickenshit NCAA, apparently still able to make rules on NIL, could say whoa - if an individual athlete strikes a deal with company X to get paid for actual NIL activity (Mateer thing) fine. But providing trucks to a whole team, or paying a million dollars for doing nothing but play ball, NO.

Feel free to ridicule these suggestions.

Edit: And the Cam Ward thing - north of $1,000,000 to play one season? How the F do you justify that? Brock Purdy and I are just shaking our collective :) heads.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATACFD
There is a cute article on Brand X about Mateer partnering with a local BBQ vendor. Not much money in it, but a great story. I love that guy, Wonder if he would marry me? Now this what NIL should look like.

The Supreme Court ruling is long and confusing to this layman. Maybe some bored attorney can read this and opine.

But it appears to open the door to NIL and leave it up to the NCAA to modify rules to allow it. So, the NCAA responded by apparently just leaving it up to the individual school to do whatever the F they wanted. Thus the Collectives were born, which bear little resemblance to compensation for actual NIL payments that I believe the Supreme Court envisioned as agreements like Mateer's.

So what now that the horse is out of the barn and roaming free? Two thoughts, both ridiculous but all I have. 1, The poor schools with not much NIL $ (WSU for example), could band together and go to court arguing that Collectives violate the spirit of the Supreme Court ruling. 2. The worthless chickenshit NCAA, apparently still able to make rules on NIL, could say whoa - if an individual athlete strikes a deal with company X to get paid for actual NIL activity (Mateer thing) fine. But providing trucks to a whole team, or paying a million dollars for doing nothing but play ball, NO.

Feel free to ridicule these suggestions.

Edit: And the Cam Ward thing - north of $1,000,000 to play one season? How the F do you justify that? Brock Purdy and I are just shaking our collective :) heads.
I’m not sure about marry but he’d probably jump in to tag team one of those dog park hotties with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT