ADVERTISEMENT

Does Cougar baseball have a shot at a winning record?

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
The team is currently 9-13 in conference after a 7-1 win over UCLA (23-22 overall), and it has eight Pac-12 games remaining. Unfortunately, three are in Corvallis v. the 40-4 Beavers. The Cougs seem to have some momentum going, however. Has Marty Lees turned the corner?

I think he has partially turned the corner. The team is playing better. Lots of young kids. Developing an identity. But still short the pitching needed to compete in every game.

I think we finish over 0.500 overall, but if we can go 0.500 in league then you would have to really conclude that the team has turned the corner. We finish with three of the toughest teams in the league. I'm expecting to be about 5 wins short of 0.500 in PAC, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

If they can keep playing like they did last night they will finish over .500. The second half of conference they have really seemed to figure it out. Tough road the rest of the way.

A healthy dose of new players this year, it took a while for everything to gel. But they battered a pitcher for UCLA last night (Griffin Canning) who some project to be a top 10 pick in the June draft. Pretty impressive stuff. With another good recruiting class coming in for next year, I think the Cougar baseball program is on the right track.

Glad Cougar

A healthy dose of new players this year, it took a while for everything to gel. But they battered a pitcher for UCLA last night (Griffin Canning) who some project to be a top 10 pick in the June draft. Pretty impressive stuff. With another good recruiting class coming in for next year, I think the Cougar baseball program is on the right track.

Glad Cougar
Do you or anyone else have a take on the income class?

It appears to be very good by WSU standards. All but one are HS kids. The best of the bunch, IMO, is outfielder Isaiah Smith out of Battle Ground. He could very easily be drafted early enough next month to go pro, unfortunately. Another player of note is the nephew of former WSU wide receiver Shane De la Cruz. He's a middle infielder. Quite a few young pitchers in the group. You never know for sure, but this appears to be a nice followup class from the nationally ranked one that came in this year.

By the way, Cougs beat UCLA again today...that's four series in a row!

Glad Cougar

It appears to be very good by WSU standards. All but one are HS kids. The best of the bunch, IMO, is outfielder Isaiah Smith out of Battle Ground. He could very easily be drafted early enough next month to go pro, unfortunately. Another player of note is the nephew of former WSU wide receiver Shane De la Cruz. He's a middle infielder. Quite a few young pitchers in the group. You never know for sure, but this appears to be a nice followup class from the nationally ranked one that came in this year.

By the way, Cougs beat UCLA again today...that's four series in a row!

Glad Cougar
The last 2 games they have looked like a conference contender.

It will be interesting to see how they do next week against #1 OSU. I don't expect any victories, but if they can grab at least one win against a team that is now 41-4, that will be pretty impressive.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT