ADVERTISEMENT

Does WSU even need a new indoor practice facility?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
indoor-practice-facility-fb-turf.jpg

Bill Moos has indicated upgrades to the baseball, softball and soccer sites are more immediate priorities than the much-discussed new IPF.

Obviously Mr. Moos is rightly focused on a well-rounded Division I athletics program, but wasn't the current "practice bubble" a state of the art $13.7-million dollar facility when it was built?

As far as advancing the football program, won't additional luxury suites and capacity at Martin Stadium benefit the bottom line more than replacing a building that is only 14 years old?

What am I missing here?

Bill Moos has indicated upgrades to the baseball, softball and soccer sites are more immediate priorities than the much-discussed new IPF.

Obviously Mr. Moos is rightly focused on a well-rounded Division I athletics program, but wasn't the current "practice bubble" a state of the art $13.7-million dollar facility when it was built?

As far as advancing the football program, won't additional luxury suites and capacity at Martin Stadium benefit the bottom line more than replacing a building that is only 14 years old?

What am I missing here?

If you could see the artist renderings for the original facility, you'd know how far this thing fell short.

If you could see the artist renderings for the original facility, you'd know how far this thing fell short.

Yeah well....the same thing could generally be said for Martin Stadium remodel and FO Bldg. Original artist renderings or initial proposals are usually "Fantasy Island" type stuff. When the rubber hits the road and real money has to be allocated, things change. Not saying the FO bldg isn't wonderful and the remodel hasn't been very nice, and much needed. But the original drawings were out of this world!!

No argument that the IPF isn't what any of us visualized when it was first proposed. The thing did fall well short of conceptual expectations and has been of more limited use than originally thought, as well.

It is what it is and is what was affordable, under variously mismanaged administrations.

At this point there are probably a number of more pressing concerns for our still somewhat limited resources. We can hold out hope that SOMEDAY our ship will truly come in and we can have the IPF we do need (at times). And which could benefit a number of our teams. Having the P12 straighten out their TV revenue mess would go a ways towards achieving that goal.

Until then, the Glad Baggie will have to do.

If you had ever practiced in the Bubble, you would understand the need for a different facility. It's actually pretty awful and is very dangerous turf to practice on.

What am I missing here?

Well, to start with it's not a building.

Although games may be sellouts, there are plenty empty seats at Martin. I don't think the investment into more seats is going to payoff without a considerable uptick in demand.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Well, to start with it's not a building.

Although games may be sellouts, there are plenty empty seats at Martin. I don't think the investment into more seats is going to payoff without a considerable uptick in demand.

This looks like a prime opportunity for a refreshing and never before held conversation about finishing the bowl end of the stadium and getting us back up to over 40K capacity at a modest price. And those cheaper seats will sell and pay for the expansion.

If you had ever practiced in the Bubble, you would understand the need for a different facility. It's actually pretty awful and is very dangerous turf to practice on.

Other than the turf (which can be replaced, right?), what are the issues?

It looks like a full-length football field. It seems well lit.

Couldn't it be spruced up for less than it would cost to start all over with a brand-new IPF?

"This looks like a prime opportunity for a refreshing and never before held conversation about finishing the bowl end of the stadium and getting us back up to over 40K capacity at a modest price. And those cheaper seats will sell and pay for the expansion."

And a larger stadium could encourage even more WSU fans to make the drive from Spokane or Seattle confident they wouldn't have any trouble landing a good seat.

What a second, Pete. Am I missing something? Wasichus? The bubble was a complete flop because it never even started to BE what the artist drawings were. As I recall, the bubble was supposed to be a complete transition-style building. That is why they put hard-core footings/foundation on this. A bubble doesn't need those kinds of footings. THAT is why the new IPF is slated to use a good portion of the existing footings. That was the plan, all along. The bubble is nothing more that a "This will get us by until we get a REAL building", isn't it?

And yes, as I understand it, when CML came in, they changed the turf. I think the problem is the substance UNDER the turf but I'm not sure.

Also, I've heard that part of the hold up for the baseball is that they want to do both the baseball AND the IPF at the same time, due to proximity. That is complete rumor but rumor non-the-less.

I believe the baseball facility will be the next one done, hence IPF as well. Every other sport at WSU can handle TV. Baseball can not... well not really. It's horrid. Given it wasn't built with even the concept that TV might ever cover baseball so everything is cobbled together but... Money talks and having a true place, SAFE place for TV to work, IMHO, will make Baseball top priority.

Other than the turf (which can be replaced, right?), what are the issues?

It looks like a full-length football field. It seems well lit.

Couldn't it be spruced up for less than it would cost to start all over with a brand-new IPF?

In person, it's pretty dim in there. It's far better than having nothing at all and I'd personally rate it lower on the priorities, but it definitely needs to be replaced at some point. In regards to stadium expansion, I'm all for it and would love to see us get to 40,000 seats sooner than later. That said, WSU doesn't feel that way. The recent article on a different website highlighted the relatively low number of season tickets that have been sold on the alumni side of the stadium. Right now, you can get sideline seats without being a CAF member. Until demand gets to the point where every season ticket on the sidelines requires a CAF membership and ticket sales are brisk enough to sell out the stadium regularly, Moos is not going to push for stadium expansion.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-05%20at%2010.00.48%20PM.png

Looking at the above seating chart, sections 1-3, 9-12 and 21-23 don't require CAF memberships. Until that changes, don't expect more seating. Personally, I'd like to see WSU convert the upper part of 27 to donor seating and give the students the lower parts of 24 & 25.

Good insight, thank you.

In terms of helping CML's recruiting consistently rank in the highest tier of the Pac-12 rankings, which would be most beneficial?

1. A new IPF

2. Additional bells and whistles for the Football Operations Building to match the original artist renderings

3. Martin Stadium expansion to 50,000-plus

How soon can we expect any or all of these enhancements to come to fruition?

What am I missing here?

I've had a lot of discussions with the administration over the past years since Moos arrived. I was also involved with this when it was first built. The single most important point about this facility is that we need it for bowl practices. Today, for example, was below zero at my house. Friday night in Pullman is forecast for -3. Practices can't be nearly as effective in those conditions compared to practicing in a heat controlled building. Also consider that San Diego will be warm(er) and the team will probably be better off practicing in like conditions.

The second and nearly as important point is for recruiting. When players are being courted by the other northern division schools and they all have indoor facilities, it hurts us. If we have CA or FL recruits on official visits and they see the team working out in sub-freezing conditions, we don't look too good.

Lastly, regarding this particular building/bubble, it had a projected life of 12-15 years. Time's up. It won't last much longer and could fail at any time. This needs to be replaced but that will only happen if we gain enough donations to support the replacement structure. Let me repeat: This existing structure is near it's end of life and the only way to replace it is with stepped up donations.

I've had a lot of discussions with the administration over the past years since Moos arrived. I was also involved with this when it was first built. The single most important point about this facility is that we need it for bowl practices. Today, for example, was below zero at my house. Friday night in Pullman is forecast for -3. Practices can't be nearly as effective in those conditions compared to practicing in a heat controlled building. Also consider that San Diego will be warm(er) and the team will probably be better off practicing in like conditions.

The second and nearly as important point is for recruiting. When players are being courted by the other northern division schools and they all have indoor facilities, it hurts us. If we have CA or FL recruits on official visits and they see the team working out in sub-freezing conditions, we don't look too good.

Lastly, regarding this particular building/bubble, it had a projected life of 12-15 years. Time's up. It won't last much longer and could fail at any time. This needs to be replaced but that will only happen if we gain enough donations to support the replacement structure. Let me repeat: This existing structure is near it's end of life and the only way to replace it is with stepped up donations.

I agree that the IPF is due for replacement but other than punting and kicking, it works fine at the moment. I've been in the IPF when the temperature was well below freezing outside and there were no temperature issues once you got inside the "structure". Temperatures in San Diego on December 27th should be in the mid-60's. There is no need to worry about getting acclimated to that temperature. In terms of failure, while it's probably reaching the end of that life, there are no guarantees on when it fail and how it will fail. In the short term, the facility is fine. Recruits from California and Florida shouldn't be seeing our team working outside in freezing conditions.

From a recruiting standpoint, it is pretty lame that we haven't replaced the IPF yet. When I did a quick look on the internet to see how long it takes to build an IPF, the search included the IPF at Fort Hays State University in rural north central Kansas. It's kind of sad to think that a podunk D-II football program in the middle of nowhere has a better indoor practice facility than us. So it's due, but it's not like our players are outside freezing their tails off today....except on the walk over to it.

The 3 major sports projects, that are in the works.

Baseball:
http://www.cougarathleticfund.com/facilities/baseball-clubhouse/

IPF:
http://www.cougarathleticfund.com/facilities/indoor-practice-facility/

Soccer:
http://www.cougarathleticfund.com/facilities/soccer-complex/

As I understand it, the regents approved the above for Soccer this fall. So by the middle of summer, they will have this project done and "out of the way", sort of speak.

Also as I understand it, Marbut had gone on a pretty big push the last year he was around and Baseball is very close to having the pledges needed for this.

That will leave the IPF and all focus can go on that. There are smaller projects that I know are happening but nothing that sucks up as much money as these.

They have had some practices outside this week. I spoke to a player's mom who told me that two days ago, they were outside. Of course, the weather's only getting colder now so I assume they're indoors.

Our problem with the IPF is that the AD at the time wanted a "be all, do all" facility for all sports, including the golf team (higher roof heights) and indoor track (mechanically banked corners, room for seating, requiring a much larger span than f-ball). As a result, the budget for the facility back in '98 or whenever, was around $19-20M, as I recall. At that same time, Oregon State built an IPF that is football only for about $9M. They found the funding to support theirs, we didn't. The decision was then made to provide this 12-15 year life temporary structure. The floor inside isn't conducive for football (super hard, roll-away turf) and needs to be replaced. The pits for the track mechanism need to be filled, and there are other remedial changes necessary. We looked at the cost for a somewhat modified IPF about 3 years ago and it would still be around $20M, not including FF&E and other affiliated university costs. The grand total, I believe, would end up at around $28M when it's all said and done.

Our main issue is that we just can't seem to get this stuff funded very well. We need a named sponsor for that facility, if we're going to get it built. The TV deal would have been a huge help but with DirectTV not working withe Pac 12, we're already upside down. Hopefully Moos can find the right person/company to step up and support this. We're going to need it sooner rather than later, in my opinion.

Reactions: Coug95man2
Our main issue is that we just can't seem to get this stuff funded very well. We need a named sponsor for that facility, if we're going to get it built. The TV deal would have been a huge help but with DirectTV not working withe Pac 12, we're already upside down. Hopefully Moos can find the right person/company to step up and support this. We're going to need it sooner rather than later, in my opinion.
I would hope that with the success of our football team, as of late, we would be able to start making headway on the corporate sponsorship side... At least I'd hope so.

And if we could plug some of the financial holes in football, that would free some of the resources up for other projects.

Is it not field turf, similar to what is at Martin? Why would they put something different down?

Is it not field turf, similar to what is at Martin? Why would they put something different down?
Because they have to have the ability to roll it up. The turf in Martin is a "system" turf and part of that system is the rubber pellets. They can't have that in the IPF.

Because they have to have the ability to roll it up. The turf in Martin is a "system" turf and part of that system is the rubber pellets. They can't have that in the IPF.
Who were the ad geniuses who came us with this? Let me guess, the same that whored out MFB to Seattle to support the rest of the athletics programs instead of building a successful team?

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Who were the ad geniuses who came us with this? Let me guess, the same that whored out MFB to Seattle to support the rest of the athletics programs instead of building a successful team?
Track, as an example, has to be able to use the facility as well. Underneath the turf is an oval track. Also has some pits, I believe. Golf uses it a bit as well, I believe. I can only imagine what CML would do if the golf team started putting some divets into the turf... lol.

And as Cougar Gold and I have pointed out, that building shouldn't even be up, right now. I believe it went up in 2002 or there abouts. It should be replaced by now. People keep saying, "It'll get us by for now", "It works, why replace it?", "Use it until we HAVE to change" kinda thing. It was supposed to be, and built for, a very finite time frame. It worked for what it was built for. But we need to move on.

First, the roll-up turf was necessary for the multi-use concept. They still want multi-use but with field turf in sections that can be stacked in a corner. The first concept was late-90's and was based on pressure put on the then AD (do the math and you can figure who that was...) by the then president (again, do the math...). That all led to an unaffordable structure.

The other part of the IPF that's really bad is the lighting. It's really pretty dark in there and there are weird shadows. Add to it that the bubble itself is a sown product with constant internal pressure and the stitching will, inevitably, fail. With all that's bad about that place, it's still the current best option we have for indoor practice; far and above the Field House where the team used to practice before.

As for our current success on the field, I only hope we don't squander it like what happened 13 years ago. We were on a roll, which is what the IPF was supposed to capitalize on but we lost our way. Had Price stayed, had we continued to be competitive, had we garnered further support and not gotten big heads over it, thinking we had arrived, we'd probably have all this by now. But, that's crying over spilled milk. Hopefully lessons were learned and we can do a better job of maintaining some consistency. We need donors and sponsors and to get there, we need to win.

What am I missing here?

The ghost of Jim Sterk may never go to the light and leave Pullman.

Golf uses it a bit as well, I believe ... And as Cougar Gold and I have pointed out, that building shouldn't even be up, right now. I believe it went up in 2002 or there abouts. It should be replaced by now.

1. Wouldn't have guessed golf. Do they have retractable netting similar to a driving range or is limited to aspects like putting and delicate chips from the fringe? Not sure what the walls/ceiling are made of, but it seems like a Titleist Pro VI might do some damage.

In terms of failure, while it's probably reaching the end of that life, there are no guarantees on when it fail and how it will fail.

2. By using "fail" here, what are we talking about? Something like the Metrodome after Minneapolis got hit by a blizzard and the roof collapsed from the heavy snow? A random lightning strike? I'm guessing this isn't something where the "Glad Baggie" as Wasichus calls it could deflate while people are actually inside.

3. I can't imagine Bill Moos or CML approving a $13.7M building that is past its due date in less than 15 years. It seems like WSU could've gotten so much more bang for the buck — and again I've never seen the IPF in person.

I think you're also forgetting about the importance of aesthetics and how the structure fits into our campus. The bubble is an eyesore, and that matters to a lot of people. Alumni, recruits, coaches, prospective coaches, etc.

Football is the single most important business cog to WSU and the Pullman campus. Why do you replace the bubble? Because it sucks. It sucks to look at. It sucks to play on. It limits how the facility can be used. Structures like the football ops building and a completed IPF will be fixtures on campus for years to come, and they are far more important than adding 5-10K more seats to Martin Stadium. When we reach the point where we're selling out all of our home games, then you expand the seating. That's an easy project.

1. Wouldn't have guessed golf. Do they have retractable netting similar to a driving range or is limited to aspects like putting and delicate chips from the fringe? Not sure what the walls/ceiling are made of, but it seems like a Titleist Pro VI might do some damage.

2. By using "fail" here, what are we talking about? Something like the Metrodome after Minneapolis got hit by a blizzard and the roof collapsed from the heavy snow? A random lightning strike? I'm guessing this isn't something where the "Glad Baggie" as Wasichus calls it could deflate while people are actually inside.

3. I can't imagine Bill Moos or CML approving a $13.7M building that is past its due date in less than 15 years. It seems like WSU could've gotten so much more bang for the buck — and again I've never seen the IPF in person.
Don't even know how golf uses it.

Regarding the construction of it... So you've never been in or around it? So read the small little blip in the article below.

https://www.djc.com/news/co/11125726.html?action=get&id=11125726&printmode=true

You'll notice it says, "air inflated". There are cable that go over the "bubble" to keep it from blowing away. There are massive compressors next to the building to keep it "blown up". It's basically a massive balloon. When you walk into it, you get hit with a big blast of wind because you've just created a hole in the "balloon". There is structure to it, it isn't JUST cable holding it down but for the most part... it's a balloon being held down by cable that wraps around it every 10 feet or so.

I think you're also forgetting about the importance of aesthetics and how the structure fits into our campus ... Why do you replace the bubble? Because it sucks.

I hadn't really considered the value of aesthetics in this equation, so good point.

Is is possible The Bubble could be loaded up and moved to a secluded location on campus and re-purposed in some fashion, maybe a place where WSU could host 7-on-7 football and indoor soccer competitions for D-I prospects?

In these days of shrinking budgets, you hate to see useful venues — especially ones with an 8-figure price tag — put out to pasture in relatively short order.

Don't even know how golf uses it.

Regarding the construction of it... So you've never been in or around it? So read the small little blip in the article below.

https://www.djc.com/news/co/11125726.html?action=get&id=11125726&printmode=true

You'll notice it says, "air inflated". There are cable that go over the "bubble" to keep it from blowing away. There are massive compressors next to the building to keep it "blown up". It's basically a massive balloon. When you walk into it, you get hit with a big blast of wind because you've just created a hole in the "balloon". There is structure to it, it isn't JUST cable holding it down but for the most part... it's a balloon being held down by cable that wraps around it every 10 feet or so.
that seems like a massive energy suck (no pun intended). i wonder what it costs to keep it inflated.

that seems like a massive energy suck (no pun intended). i wonder what it costs to keep it inflated.
No idea. Also realize, the air compressors have to have the ability to warm/cool the air, as well. Never been in there in the summer but I can only imagine it could get pretty warm without some form of AC involved. It's pretty much a greenhouse. It obviously has to have the ability to warm it.

To keep the building structurally "up", the compressors have to be running. There isn't a minute in the day where the compressors aren't working. Gotta be costly but I don't know if it would be any more than an actual building, either... who knows... ?

No idea. Also realize, the air compressors have to have the ability to warm/cool the air, as well. Never been in there in the summer but I can only imagine it could get pretty warm without some form of AC involved. It's pretty much a greenhouse. It obviously has to have the ability to warm it.

To keep the building structurally "up", the compressors have to be running. There isn't a minute in the day where the compressors aren't working. Gotta be costly but I don't know if it would be any more than an actual building, either... who knows... ?
yeah, i guess most buildings on campus probably run heating/cooling 24/7... cost is probably negligible.

First, the roll-up turf was necessary for the multi-use concept. They still want multi-use but with field turf in sections that can be stacked in a corner. The first concept was late-90's and was based on pressure put on the then AD (do the math and you can figure who that was...) by the then president (again, do the math...). That all led to an unaffordable structure.

The other part of the IPF that's really bad is the lighting. It's really pretty dark in there and there are weird shadows. Add to it that the bubble itself is a sown product with constant internal pressure and the stitching will, inevitably, fail. With all that's bad about that place, it's still the current best option we have for indoor practice; far and above the Field House where the team used to practice before.

As for our current success on the field, I only hope we don't squander it like what happened 13 years ago. We were on a roll, which is what the IPF was supposed to capitalize on but we lost our way. Had Price stayed, had we continued to be competitive, had we garnered further support and not gotten big heads over it, thinking we had arrived, we'd probably have all this by now. But, that's crying over spilled milk. Hopefully lessons were learned and we can do a better job of maintaining some consistency. We need donors and sponsors and to get there, we need to win.

Gold, your insights are most welcome. As are those of a number of other posters (95man, etal) here.

I sure wish WSU could have "struck while the iron was hot", back in days of that first recent era Rose Bowl, and the 10 win seasons that came not long after. But that's water under the bridge.

We needed visionary leadership and got bean counters. And bean counters who wanted to build a "magnificent golf course" instead. That statement is probably a bit unfair? The golf course is a good thing for a lot of people. And it may have been fully a "university project" totally separate/independent from other, athletic dept, needs? Plus, I'm mentally too feeble to remember the exact timelines and if they were at all concomitant? Regardless, we got a golf course and we didn't get other things which would have benefited Cougar athletics even more, IMHO.

Now we are faced with a situation where we have leveraged ourselves heavily with debt, to pay for some needed football upgrades. We were expecting more of a windfall from P12 TV money but that has fallen short. Our new college president has made it clear that NOTHING NEW will be undertaken without funding in place ahead of time.

So, as Gold and others have said - if we want the IPF to get done the right way, we need donors and sponsors to step up (before it has totally outrun it's useful lifespan). And we need to hope like BLEEP that somehow the P12 can get the revenue stream straightened out in our lifetimes.

Otherwise we may be faced with a situation sorta like when the Kingdome tiles started falling down around people's ears - spending significant money on a quick fix up for a building that's actually untenable. But with no Paul Allen bail out to build a new structure (with tax payer help) to take it's place.

Our new college president has made it clear that NOTHING NEW will be undertaken without funding in place ahead of time.

So, as Gold and others have said - if we want the IPF to get done the right way, we need donors and sponsors to step up (before it has totally outrun it's useful lifespan). And we need to hope like BLEEP that somehow the P12 can get the revenue stream straightened out in our lifetimes.

Otherwise we may be faced with a situation sorta like when the Kingdome tiles started falling down around people's ears - spending significant money on a quick fix up for a building that's actually untenable. But with no Paul Allen bail out to build a new structure (with tax payer help) to take it's place.
No doubt on this point. We've leveraged as much as we can. But... we are lacking in our "big fish" donors, or so it seems. We had Rankin 4 years ago. Normally, many other schools would have 4 or 5 of this size of donations (4mil). We had 1 and it was 4 years ago... Don't know if the "per capita" style evaluation would show we are good. Meaning, with the number of graduates coming out of WSU vs. the number of graduates coming out of, say... UW... we are on par... I have no idea on that point. But the funding for any other project will have to come from private funds.

Gold, your insights are most welcome. As are those of a number of other posters (95man, etal) here.

I sure wish WSU could have "struck while the iron was hot", back in days of that first recent era Rose Bowl, and the 10 win seasons that came not long after. But that's water under the bridge.

We needed visionary leadership and got bean counters. And bean counters who wanted to build a "magnificent golf course" instead. That statement is probably a bit unfair? The golf course is a good thing for a lot of people. And it may have been fully a "university project" totally separate/independent from other, athletic dept, needs? Plus, I'm mentally too feeble to remember the exact timelines and if they were at all concomitant? Regardless, we got a golf course and we didn't get other things which would have benefited Cougar athletics even more, IMHO.

Now we are faced with a situation where we have leveraged ourselves heavily with debt, to pay for some needed football upgrades. We were expecting more of a windfall from P12 TV money but that has fallen short. Our new college president has made it clear that NOTHING NEW will be undertaken without funding in place ahead of time.

WSU has failed in hiring a president. I understand wanting to have $$$ in place before starting a project. I get it. I also understand that you don't let building fall to the ground because no one GAVE you the money to fix it. It's your campus, F*CKING maintain it! Don't pass the blame to your donor base.

If the president doesn't want to be accountable for maintaining the facilities on campus, will he be accountable when the building is shuttered or collapses altogether? Seems to me like there should be a 15 minute meeting after that happens. Either fix the issue or find another job. Don't pass the blame to your donor base.

No doubt on this point. We've leveraged as much as we can. But... we are lacking in our "big fish" donors, or so it seems. We had Rankin 4 years ago. Normally, many other schools would have 4 or 5 of this size of donations (4mil). We had 1 and it was 4 years ago... Don't know if the "per capita" style evaluation would show we are good. Meaning, with the number of graduates coming out of WSU vs. the number of graduates coming out of, say... UW... we are on par... I have no idea on that point. But the funding for any other project will have to come from private funds.

As I see it, WSU hasn't decided it wanted to be good at football until 5 years ago. WSU spent the last 100 years going cheap and ugly. Im not surprised at all the thousands of WSU alums don't donate or that WSU doesn't have much for big donors. The attitude towards donating has reflected the leadership of the athletic department. If they don't think it's worthwhile to put any money in it, why should thousands of alums??

Why on Earth would someone donate big $$$ to a university that could give two shakes of CougEd's arse if they won a game or not???

Why would alums give their money to a school that doesn't see fit to spend its money?

If WSU wanted million dollar donors they needed to fund their program and make it a priority 50-75 years ago.

As I see it, WSU hasn't decided it wanted to be good at football until 5 years ago. WSU spent the last 100 years going cheap and ugly. Im not surprised at all the thousands of WSU alums don't donate or that WSU doesn't have much for big donors. The attitude towards donating has reflected the leadership of the athletic department. If they don't think it's worthwhile to put any money in it, why should thousands of alums??

Why on Earth would someone donate big $$$ to a university that could give two shakes of CougEd's arse if they won a game or not???

Why would alums give their money to a school that doesn't see fit to spend its money?

If WSU wanted million dollar donors they needed to fund their program and make it a priority 50-75 years ago.
I'd probably agree with everything you say. But it won't change the fact that WSU doesn't have a money press in the basement.

"This looks like a prime opportunity for a refreshing and never before held conversation about finishing the bowl end of the stadium and getting us back up to over 40K capacity at a modest price. And those cheaper seats will sell and pay for the expansion."

And a larger stadium could encourage even more WSU fans to make the drive from Spokane or Seattle confident they wouldn't have any trouble landing a good seat.

I have never, ever heard a fan say they weren't going to Pullman for a game because they didn't think they could get good seats.

No place to stay? Sure. Pain in the a$$ drive? Yea. Bad seats? Never. Not once.

I have never, ever heard a fan say they weren't going to Pullman for a game because they didn't think they could get good seats.

Again, Pete the Chop is just trying to get our own fans to be explicit about a bunch of problems/shortcomings with the football program / university / city, etc. It's more effective trolling than coming on here as a UW fan and talking smack. That's all it is.

Really simple solution; bring Wulff back. Our season would be wrapped up by Thanksgiving every year and we'd never have to use the IPF again.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug

What about the Apple Cup this year?

Don't you think Bill Moos could've sold 10,000 to 15,000 more seats for that one at $40 a pop?

How much more revenue would that've put in the athletic department's coffers?

Just thinking of ways to bring in more $ besides hoping and praying a millionaire alum will leave his/her inheritance to Mr. Moos (and not implying anybody here is suggesting that, either).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT