ADVERTISEMENT

Drunk posting on game nights

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
I hadn't used the internet on my IPad since I got back from San Antonio but opened it up this morning. There was a thread on there that was 3 pages long from December 29 that was started in the fourth quarter of the game where someone was bitching about embarrassing our team was. There was talk about how the Alamo was a "mid-level" bowl and that it was a travesty to see how we were playing. Replies and comments of varying degrees, some douchebaggery from our Husky friends that we won't see for a while and just general negativity (a big surprise...I know).

Given a little over a week for things to settle down, seeing the generally positive impressions that outsiders have indicated for our performance against ISU and the fact that it was the highest watched non-NY6 bowl game.......I think it might be a good idea for some folks to reflect on whether or not they should be posting while watching games or immediately afterwards.

Personally, I tried to avoid to avoid posting during games in the second half of the season that had me stressed because I knew that I wasn't necessarily going to be having any positive impact on the board. I didn't want to bump the thread to the top of the board (it's about 3 pages deep) but if you want a discouraging look at our message board psyche.......feel free to check it out. To each their own and if you feel better creating a permanent record of your negativity and anger.....post away during games, but it might be better to just close up the laptop, phone or whatever method you use to post to the board if you are angry at the moment......and see if you feel like typing the next day.

Why don't you just talk about what you're going to do and leave the internet nanny job to Loyal.

I don't think its such a big deal to be out of your head during a game - God knows that CML's version of the Cougs leave a lot of cause for hand-wringing at times. Calling for regime changes, etc is probably overboard and yeah... we all know who you are and you'll have to live with the rest of the board calling you out for the rest of eternity, HOWEVER -

we're all adult's here. If someone wants to dump all over their own message board cred with drunken posts, that's their prerogative.

Why don't you just talk about what you're going to do and leave the internet nanny job to Loyal.

we're all adult's here. If someone wants to dump all over their own message board cred with drunken posts, that's their prerogative.

Pretty sure I have been fired from my nanny job due to recent posts, which I deleted due to Board outrage, although the "respond to's" live on. One thing - when someone makes a choice to go out of their way to splatter their personal life all over the internet, whether it be via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or whatever, then they open themselves up to questions and scrutiny. Now I will say that it is a bit unfair to be able to question or scrutinize people anonymously, but hey, that's the lay of the internet.

And I never get cut any slack for MY drunken posts :(, so I will beg to differ on that comment.

seeing the generally positive impressions that outsiders have indicated for our performance against ISU and the fact that it was the highest watched non-NY6 bowl game
Separate point here but did the Alamo Bowl set the CFB world abuzz? Did anybody of note write any articles or do any media pieces they weren't contractually obligated to write?

I fly a Cougar flag outside my house and wear Coug gear everywhere. Everyone knows I'm a Coug. I have people come into my office to talk football. Even the die-hards I spoke with didn't know WSU was in a bowl, much less that it was the Alamo, much less that it was vs ISU.

I know you were high on this matchup as one of the 44 Americans with Cyclone coworkers (IIRC you chided me for not being sufficiently pumped about Flat's match made in heaven), but it seems it got little attention outside the relevant [small/medium] media markets.

I was not among those participating in concurrent threads still ranting about the bowl game, but the disappointment in trajectory-change seems to have been well-founded; i.e., going from a NY6 national coming out party to 2x WGAF teams being ignored in the background at Dave & Buster's.

I am beyond stoked about 11 wins, Minshew, a bowl trophy - everything except for the fact that we didn't get a crack at tOSU, and making it beyond break rooms in the midwest. We got snubbed and will keep getting snubbed until we're turning in 9+ a year for another few years.

Separate point here but did the Alamo Bowl set the CFB world abuzz? Did anybody of note write any articles or do any media pieces they weren't contractually obligated to write?

I fly a Cougar flag outside my house and wear Coug gear everywhere. Everyone knows I'm a Coug. I have people come into my office to talk football. Even the die-hards I spoke with didn't know WSU was in a bowl, much less that it was the Alamo, much less that it was vs ISU.

I know you were high on this matchup as one of the 44 Americans with Cyclone coworkers (IIRC you chided me for not being sufficiently pumped about Flat's match made in heaven), but it seems it got little attention outside the relevant [small/medium] media markets.

I was not among those participating in concurrent threads still ranting about the bowl game, but the disappointment in trajectory-change seems to have been well-founded; i.e., going from a NY6 national coming out party to 2x WGAF teams being ignored in the background at Dave & Buster's.

I am beyond stoked about 11 wins, Minshew, a bowl trophy - everything except for the fact that we didn't get a crack at tOSU, and making it beyond break rooms in the midwest. We got snubbed and will keep getting snubbed until we're turning in 9+ a year for another few years.

"match made in heaven" might be a bit of a reach. I think all of us would have preferred the Fiesta Bowl. I chose to look at the positive side of the game. The Alamo Bowl wasn't a game changing bowl for our program, but it wasn't the insult or slight that many perceived it to be. It's still the best bowl game (and win) that we've had since at least 2003.

As far as my starting this thread, my comments were more geared towards people making asses of themselves late in games when things are not going their way. It's not the first time, it won't be the last, but some people really come off as sh!tty fans when they are drunk posting. Again, free world so they have every right to it. Good news is that Tron will be taking screenshots so he can post it in five years. ;)

Reactions: earldacoug
"match made in heaven" might be a bit of a reach. I think all of us would have preferred the Fiesta Bowl. I chose to look at the positive side of the game. The Alamo Bowl wasn't a game changing bowl for our program, but it wasn't the insult or slight that many perceived it to be. It's still the best bowl game (and win) that we've had since at least 2003.

As far as my starting this thread, my comments were more geared towards people making asses of themselves late in games when things are not going their way. It's not the first time, it won't be the last, but some people really come off as sh!tty fans when they are drunk posting. Again, free world so they have every right to it. Good news is that Tron will be taking screenshots so he can post it in five years. ;)
Fair. Big for WSU - just maybe not the coming out party many had hoped for.

PS if you think this is bad, go read the comments on popular SBNation sites. Positivity groupthink is pretty well-enforced at our SBNation site, but go read the Seahawks site. Increasingly mobbed by people demanding the heads of the entire coaching staff, full roster turnover, etc. Commenting this in a playoff game... by contrast, WW/CougCenter is pretty solid.

Fair. Big for WSU - just maybe not the coming out party many had hoped for.

PS if you think this is bad, go read the comments on popular SBNation sites. Positivity groupthink is pretty well-enforced at our SBNation site, but go read the Seahawks site. Increasingly mobbed by people demanding the heads of the entire coaching staff, full roster turnover, etc. Commenting this in a playoff game... by contrast, WW/CougCenter is pretty solid.

My experience with Cougcenter, and short lived it was, was that if you're not in lock-step with Jeff Nusser you can gtfo. Talk about an echo chamber - I still visit when I'm starving to additional Coug information - Nusser et al pretty much tell you you're wrong if you don't agree with them 100%. Some long time posters get a little leeway, but God help you if you're a new poster and gripe about the lack of running in the Alamo Bowl... unless of course Nusser posted it first.

I'm originally from Boston and have been a diehard Pats (and Sox, Celts, and Bruins) fan all my life. Even with all the success their teams have enjoyed over the past 20 years, you still hundreds of messages during the week and in-game about all of the things Belichick and Brady do wrong, why they don't run enough, throw deep enough, play too soft defensively between the 20s. It never ends.

My experience with Cougcenter, and short lived it was, was that if you're not in lock-step with Jeff Nusser you can gtfo. Talk about an echo chamber - I still visit when I'm starving to additional Coug information - Nusser et al pretty much tell you you're wrong if you don't agree with them 100%. Some long time posters get a little leeway, but God help you if you're a new poster and gripe about the lack of running in the Alamo Bowl... unless of course Nusser posted it first.
Yeah I learned that long ago. If I post there now I understand what the rules are, and comment advisedly.

Each site has its own personality. Brand X is a police state. This place is the wild west. Brand Y has a borderline cult of personality, as you mention, and the mods stick together against the great unwashed. Seahawks' SBNation allows pages of "fire them all" and all caps f-bombs in game threads with zero context or value added, but will lay into you for no subject line or for using "chatspeak." Really a post-modern or technocratic code of ethics there.

I don't support people blasting our program because they're unhappy with playcalling over a game or a season (like Flat mentions), but I like this site specifically because it's free. People here stick around a long time (look how many members joined pre-2010) and the demo is not just ironic Millennials posting cryptic jargon and abbreviations, or beating each other up over grammar. Hell, mikalalas posts here. Posters here have watched for decades and can separate "the sky is falling" from "normal Coug football".

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Yeah I learned that long ago. If I post there now I understand what the rules are, and comment advisedly.

Each site has its own personality. Brand X is a police state. This place is the wild west. Brand Y has a borderline cult of personality, as you mention, and the mods stick together against the great unwashed. Seahawks' SBNation allows pages of "fire them all" and all caps f-bombs in game threads with zero context or value added, but will lay into you for no subject line or for using "chatspeak." Really a post-modern or technocratic code of ethics there.

I don't support people blasting our program because they're unhappy with playcalling over a game or a season (like Flat mentions), but I like this site specifically because it's free. People here stick around a long time (look how many members joined pre-2010) and the demo is not just ironic Millennials posting cryptic jargon and abbreviations, or beating each other up over grammar. Hell, mikalalas posts here. Posters here have watched for decades and can separate "the sky is falling" from "normal Coug football".
Good synopsis on the sites. And I completely agree. I'm here for a reason. I ignore what I want but everyone is relatively free to say what they want. I enjoy that.

Regarding drunk posting. Meh. If someone is on this site, while watching it on TV, while drinking, and they think they can add to a topic, wow. Just wow. I'd like to see it, personally. And if it lives on forever... well Natural Selection, then. Learn from your mistakes and take your lumps or move along, son. :D

Flat, you are clearly right that some people should not post while under the influence. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see your point.

I also agree with Fab that in many cases the results are pretty funny. Humor at the expense of the poster is still humor, though my mother tried very hard to get me to understand that we should not pick on those who lack the ability to think clearly, or who are otherwise disadvantaged. I still occasionally disappoint mom, though at 91 she has pretty much seen it all.

Chip, I suspect that the lack of Alamo awareness that you encountered may be somewhat regional. I am also a well known Coug within my business circles (the only identifiable Coug in my industry in greater LA) and I got lots of well wishes on the bowl. Of course, I live in PAC country, and that may make all the difference. I was also pleased to see that the LA Times did not ignore the game, which they are prone to do for northern division teams. I do share your disappointment on us missing a "coming out party", and I think your use of that phrase does a good job of describing what was missed.

Finally, as for Coug Center. They do some good stuff, and I occasionally enjoy what they offer in the way of articles & analysis, but the comments made in this thread (and many other places) about the sheer arrogance, absurd shoutdowns and unearned attitude of superiority is a real turn off. I've been a premium subscriber for many years (almost since Al Gore invented the internet) on this site and brand X, but I would never seriously consider that for Coug Center. We all need an ounce or two of humility if we are going to be tolerable people, and that is lacking at CC.

Good synopsis on the sites. And I completely agree. I'm here for a reason. I ignore what I want but everyone is relatively free to say what they want. I enjoy that.

Regarding drunk posting. Meh. If someone is on this site, while watching it on TV, while drinking, and they think they can add to a topic, wow. Just wow. I'd like to see it, personally. And if it lives on forever... well Natural Selection, then. Learn from your mistakes and take your lumps or move along, son. :D

Is that a premium brand of Natural Light?

Reactions: Coug95man2
I have been guilty of this, and it is one reason I generally do not post diring games any longer. Life is too short for me to be that bothered by something I have zero control over. That and CML continues to show that his teams will vome back and make you look silly more often than not AC being the exception recently (though I was at the comeback game his first year for the AC).

I agree 100% that this site is good because it does allow some freedom. I would hate to see mods start crushing threads right away, even when some probably should disappear. The relative freedom of speech is a good thing. I think it should be left to personal filters.......and the ignore button.:)

I hadn't used the internet on my IPad since I got back from San Antonio but opened it up this morning. There was a thread on there that was 3 pages long from December 29 that was started in the fourth quarter of the game where someone was bitching about embarrassing our team was. There was talk about how the Alamo was a "mid-level" bowl and that it was a travesty to see how we were playing. Replies and comments of varying degrees, some douchebaggery from our Husky friends that we won't see for a while and just general negativity (a big surprise...I know).

Given a little over a week for things to settle down, seeing the generally positive impressions that outsiders have indicated for our performance against ISU and the fact that it was the highest watched non-NY6 bowl game.......I think it might be a good idea for some folks to reflect on whether or not they should be posting while watching games or immediately afterwards.

Personally, I tried to avoid to avoid posting during games in the second half of the season that had me stressed because I knew that I wasn't necessarily going to be having any positive impact on the board. I didn't want to bump the thread to the top of the board (it's about 3 pages deep) but if you want a discouraging look at our message board psyche.......feel free to check it out. To each their own and if you feel better creating a permanent record of your negativity and anger.....post away during games, but it might be better to just close up the laptop, phone or whatever method you use to post to the board if you are angry at the moment......and see if you feel like typing the next day.

I've always been under the impression that Loyal and Flat posted drunk every night... :)

Maybe some posters posts are done under the influence? The alcohol may not play a part. That is just them being themselves?

Anybody that finds fault in comments in game threads doesn't live in the real world. It's the equivalent of a fan yelling to put in the backup QB after an interception. Or booing the refs after a bad call.

I sat in front of a big farmer guy named Junior for years. Always drunk always obnoxious and yelling at Price for his stupidity. Junior was probably a pretty good guy away from the bottle and away from Coug games.

In the moment, it is what it is. When the final score goes the direction of the Cougs, everybody is happy.

Whatever.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
I've always been under the impression that Loyal and Flat posted drunk every night... :)

I sat in front of a big farmer guy named Junior for years. Always drunk always obnoxious and yelling at Price for his stupidity. Junior was probably a pretty good guy away from the bottle and away from Coug games.

Yaki - you are at least half right. :confused:
Observer - Not sure why you think my name is Junior or that I am a farmer. Otherwise,.........

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Yaki - you are at least half right. :confused:
Observer - Not sure why you think my name is Junior or that I am a farmer. Otherwise,.........

You still got the overalls, wife beater and trucker's hat?

Junior was a classic. He may even post here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT