ADVERTISEMENT

Dumpster Fires and Extinguishers

grahamcoug

All Conference
Nov 26, 2013
Graham
The following dumpster fires have apparently been "dealt" with
1- Lack of unity in defensive strategy (Claeys taking the lead in responsibility for this)

2- Players playing "unnatural" positions (I would assume this is partially Claeys doing)

Remaining Dumpster Fires. Which one(s) do you think are the next to be dealt with?
3) A focus in recruiting a particular type of d linemen to fit the speed d system. The coaches tried to recruit space eaters as well, but it didn't go so well. We had this problem when Grinch was here as well.

4) Poor game play by some players (think tackling and out of position) possibly resulting from poor practice and poor coaching (The players, the backfield coaches, and line backer coaches taking the lead in responsibility for this)

5) Lack of consistency in recruiting relationships by the staff (With several coaches taking the lead in responsibility for this, particular those who are "better" coaches than recruiters).
There sure are a lot of offers flying out during the last two weeks. Not sure if this is a function of the bye week, or a renewed focus on defensive offers.

6-) Players who don't listen fully yet to their coaches in practice. (The players taking the lead in responsibility for this)

7-) Some players who may have peaked or reached their ceiling. They are not bad players, it's just other times we play teams with slightly better players. (The players and the coaches taking the lead in responsibility for this).

:cool: Other

I mean, who knows?

Sometimes I yearn for the days of bullsh!t lipservice coach speak...

ehhhh, not really.

But not knowing a single thing about the program because the coaching staff/ hc says absolutely zilch about anything can be frustrating.

I mean, who knows?

Sometimes I yearn for the days of bullsh!t lipservice coach speak...

ehhhh, not really.

But not knowing a single thing about the program because the coaching staff/ hc says absolutely zilch about anything can be frustrating.

Leach has been pretty open since Claeys left. More than I expected, and perhaps even more than prudent.

There could be stuff out there you haven't seen or heard. He's doing a coaches' show tonight, has done interviews with multiple outlets, etc.

Other coaches have been out there giving comments, too.

A lot of things in that list of 7 either isn't going to be commented on by any coach in the country (most of them) or would be (GASP!) "blaming the players," and people don't like it when he does that, either, even though he's done plenty of it since the Utah game.

Reactions: 702coug
The following dumpster fires have apparently been "dealt" with
1- Lack of unity in defensive strategy (Claeys taking the lead in responsibility for this)

2- Players playing "unnatural" positions (I would assume this is partially Claeys doing)

Remaining Dumpster Fires. Which one(s) do you think are the next to be dealt with?
3) A focus in recruiting a particular type of d linemen to fit the speed d system. The coaches tried to recruit space eaters as well, but it didn't go so well. We had this problem when Grinch was here as well.

4) Poor game play by some players (think tackling and out of position) possibly resulting from poor practice and poor coaching (The players, the backfield coaches, and line backer coaches taking the lead in responsibility for this)

5) Lack of consistency in recruiting relationships by the staff (With several coaches taking the lead in responsibility for this, particular those who are "better" coaches than recruiters).
There sure are a lot of offers flying out during the last two weeks. Not sure if this is a function of the bye week, or a renewed focus on defensive offers.

6-) Players who don't listen fully yet to their coaches in practice. (The players taking the lead in responsibility for this)

7-) Some players who may have peaked or reached their ceiling. They are not bad players, it's just other times we play teams with slightly better players. (The players and the coaches taking the lead in responsibility for this).

:cool: Other
I think it’s a little combination of all the above. Clayes was a bad fit. He was able to find a bunch of 300+ pound D Linemen in the cornfields of the Midwest. Those guys just don’t exist out here and his scheme never would have worked.

I think so far this year there’s been a combo of several things: too much complexity, not a fit scheme/personnel, lack of leadership, players that aren’t grasping concepts, laziness in the offseason/buying into hype. Some of these can be addressed with the changes but not all. We need the D to put up some resistance, and the offense to be in the form that’s it’s capable of and this is a team that can still run off some wins and have a chance at the North.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT