ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN President of Content expands on reports of network's failed talks with Pac-12

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
From the article....
Ultimately, the Pac-12 fell apart and is down to just four schools remaining. Magnus admitted that it’s hard for him to say why this happened but noted that some of the movement doesn’t make sense geographically.

“It’s hard for me to say. You know, I’ve always scratched my head over the USC and UCLA moves to the Big Ten. At its core, college is various regional confederations, if you will, of like-minded schools with some geography underpinning it. There’s this regional appeal to college sports which has blossomed into national interest. But yet, at its core, the brands and the schools, and by association the conferences, are regional in nature. I think that’s what in large part drives the interest,” Magnus said.

Reactions: SaveFerris
I really don't care what ESPN has to say. They chose to throw huge piles of money at the B1G and SEC. Doing that creates a self-fulfilling prophecy where the other leagues fall behind. I will spend the rest of my days doing my best to avoid supporting those dickheads.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
From the article....
Ultimately, the Pac-12 fell apart and is down to just four schools remaining. Magnus admitted that it’s hard for him to say why this happened but noted that some of the movement doesn’t make sense geographically.

“It’s hard for me to say. You know, I’ve always scratched my head over the USC and UCLA moves to the Big Ten. At its core, college is various regional confederations, if you will, of like-minded schools with some geography underpinning it. There’s this regional appeal to college sports which has blossomed into national interest. But yet, at its core, the brands and the schools, and by association the conferences, are regional in nature. I think that’s what in large part drives the interest,” Magnus said.

My head has been around "There’s this regional appeal to college sports which has blossomed into national interest." for a long time. I would add evening the playing field enough so that the "have nots" have a shot to compete also boosted interest over the last 30 years. It's why I didn't think the power schools would lineup for "Super Conferences" without taking care of smaller programs. It's bad for business.

Now it's gone that direction. Do enough people care for NFL light? Do enough people care about the "haves" only playing each other, the loss of regional rivalries, and what makes sense geographically? I really question whether the new model will ultimately work. I feel like it's on big time college athletics is on it's last leg in it's current form. There's just doesn't seem like there's enough steam in younger demographics to justify the current contracts long-term.

Reactions: HCoug
My head has been around "There’s this regional appeal to college sports which has blossomed into national interest." for a long time. I would add evening the playing field enough so that the "have nots" have a shot to compete also boosted interest over the last 30 years. It's why I didn't think the power schools would lineup for "Super Conferences" without taking care of smaller programs. It's bad for business.

Now it's gone that direction. Do enough people care for NFL light? Do enough people care about the "haves" only playing each other, the loss of regional rivalries, and what makes sense geographically? I really question whether the new model will ultimately work. I feel like it's on big time college athletics is on it's last leg in it's current form. There's just doesn't seem like there's enough steam in younger demographics to justify the current contracts long-term.
It is. College enrollment is rolling over. Lots of nearsighted mistakes and short term thinking. This is the last wave of moneygrab, reality is gonna set in hard in a few years.

I won’t be watching any Bigten or SEC games… not necessarily to punish them, but I just don’t care about football out east. I’ll watch WSU and the teams in the region I like (Idaho, Eastern and Whitworth). Of course I’ll find interest in the Conference that the Cougs are in and watch some of those teams. I was once a major NFL guy years ago and lost interest in them a long time ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT