ADVERTISEMENT

Explain to me again

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
how a team that colluded to cover up child rape for 20+ years is in the Rose Bowl 3 years later?

Watching them play in this game is sickening, especially considering that their punishment was basically a slap on the wrist after they won their appeal.

Reactions: earldacoug
how a team that colluded to cover up child rape for 20+ years is in the Rose Bowl 3 years later?

Watching them play in this game is sickening, especially considering that their punishment was basically a slap on the wrist after they won their appeal.
How many of the PSU team colluded to cover up child rape?

Reactions: Slowmotionjones
Well they are stomping the trojans scoring 41 pts in the second and third quarter. i dislike both teams so i do not have a dog in this fight. Maybe the trojans can come back? It is now 41-27. So all ths talk about them being one of the best teams is premature?

When it comes to crimes against children I don't think the punishment can go too far. That's just me though.
So the taxpayers of Pennsylvania need to see their university closed. Punishing the wrongdoers isn't enough.

So the taxpayers of Pennsylvania need to see their university closed. Punishing the wrongdoers isn't enough.
Close down the state!

By the way, this Rose Bowl game proves the dogs had no business being the four seed. Clearly should have been PSU. Lol.

When it comes to crimes against children I don't think the punishment can go too far. That's just me though.
The US government funds the ultimate crime against children (with the complicity of most states), so what punishment does that warrant?

I'm confused. I thought USC was the one who deserved to be in. And Ohio State of course.
I'm confused too...clearly. Enjoy pulling your chain. Nittany Lions>>>USC>>>dogs. You guys embarrassed us Saturday. I'm still hiding from all the SEC fans in shame.

Reactions: Orecoug
I'm confused too...clearly. Enjoy pulling your chain. Nittany Lions>>>USC>>>dogs. You guys embarrassed us Saturday. I'm still hiding from all the SEC fans in shame.
Isn't your embarrassment more because USC and PSU decided they should play the Holiday Bowl game today?

Reactions: cougarmike
I hear what you are saying. To you punishing the individuals involved is enough. Fair enough.

For me no punishment would go too far to their football program or institution for harboring a child rapist for potentially 40+ years.

I hear what you are saying. To you punishing the individuals involved is enough. Fair enough.

For me no punishment would go too far to their football program or institution for harboring a child rapist for potentially 40+ years.

The institution made tens of millions of dollars from their football team, which brought them national prestige and some of the best athletes in the nation. Those involved in the collusion made the decision that money and fame were more important than the lives of children. Therefore, you remove the thing that they value the most, above the welfare of children; their football team.

They should have received the death penalty, plain and simple.

The institution made tens of millions of dollars from their football team, which brought them national prestige and some of the best athletes in the nation. Those involved in the collusion made the decision that money and fame were more important than the lives of children. Therefore, you remove the thing that they value the most, above the welfare of children; their football team.

They should have received the death penalty, plain and simple.
You're willing to expand the NCAA's jurisdiction one helluva lot more than I would.

Because the NCAA doesn't adjudicate heinous crimes. It specializes in deciding whether peanut butter on a bagel is a recruiting violation or not.

I'd have more faith in my HOA conducting counterespionage operations.

Reactions: Redinwashington
You're willing to expand the NCAA's jurisdiction one helluva lot more than I would.
Look, we've been through this when it first came out.

If it was just Sandusky and he somehow kept it secret for this long and it finally came out, then I wouldn't expect for anyone other than Dirty Uncle Joey and whoever else might have been complicit to get punished. But this thing was ABOUT football; it was about saving the name of the school from scandal, and why? So they could keep winning football games. It wasn't school administration that was complicit, it was the football department. THAT is why the program should have been, and was punished.

This whole probation and vacating wins business though... no one really cares about that. That's pretty much akin to asking a child if they feel guilty for what they've done and leaving it at that. Not only that, you have Jay Paterno going around saying how the Freeh report was wrong and still acting like nothing happened. Not only is that mind numbing it stomach turning, frankly, and Jay Paterno has a special place reserved for himself in hell.

Reactions: 78Chief
Because the NCAA doesn't adjudicate heinous crimes. It specializes in deciding whether peanut butter on a bagel is a recruiting violation or not.

I'd have more faith in my HOA conducting counterespionage operations.
Wait a minute - I gave Rian Lindell some bacon bits once, does that count?

Some of the University's highest level representatives colluded to sweep child molestation under the carpet. That much is not questioned.

The question is, what is the appropriate punishment? And should that punishment extend beyond the representatives themselves and the athletic program?

My humble opinion is that the representatives and the football program were the proper targets, but that the football program got off too easy. They should at the minimum have been penalized to the same level that USC was penalized, and they didn't even get that level of sanctions.

I suppose we all know some nice PSU grads. I do. And they felt so blindsided by the whole situation that their first impulse was to circle the wagons. But the minimal sanctions and their quick impact in the rear view mirror is likely to leave a greater stain of shame over a longer term than if a more suitable punishment had been levied, and more PSU folks had participated in a mea culpa. Just sayin'.

I suppose we all know some nice PSU grads. I do. And they felt so blindsided by the whole situation that their first impulse was to circle the wagons. But the minimal sanctions and their quick impact in the rear view mirror is likely to leave a greater stain of shame over a longer term than if a more suitable punishment had been levied, and more PSU folks had participated in a mea culpa. Just sayin'.
Molestation is obviously serious but it was actually serial rape. Penn State honored 'Joe Pa' this year. That alone tells me they don't understand the gravity of the crimes committed and the punishment wasn't nearly harsh enough.

If WSU had been in the same position, would you say that we should have our football program shut down? I wouldn't. I think that everyone involved should be fired without a doubt and I think that there should have been some sanctions, but as an alum, I would be furious that I (and my fellow alums) were being punished because of a handful of scumbags.

If you are going to say that Penn State's program needs to be shut down, it should be obvious that we should just shut down college football. Programs cover up rapes, robbery, assaults and other crimes every year. Hell, Baylor tried to keep a murder under wraps. If you are going to start burning it down, might as well burn the whole damned thing down. Or just realize that all you can do is punish the people involved as much as you can. Often, that's where the NCAA fails the most.

Well, the feds punish entire companies for the illegal behavior of employees at times. I wonder if PSU had a required training class for coaches that they can't molest children?

Well they are stomping the trojans scoring 41 pts in the second and third quarter. i dislike both teams so i do not have a dog in this fight. Maybe the trojans can come back? It is now 41-27. So all ths talk about them being one of the best teams is premature?

Is it?

Well, the feds punish entire companies for the illegal behavior of employees at times. I wonder if PSU had a required training class for coaches that they can't molest children?
I'm sure it was part of their self-directed punishment.

"1. Forfeit games no one cares about, because we know we still won those games and those post season honors.
2. Provide training for all staff that makes it unequivocally clear that raping children is against school policy and can and will be punished by anywhere from a stern talking to up to possible removal of cafeteria priveleges."

I don't recall what happened with the federal Dept. of Education, but it was looking into things at PSU. Cutting back the federal funding would punish everyone affiliated with the school- admin, professors, staff and students the most.

This was not an issue of an individual acting alone. The administration knowingly allowed him on campus. He had an office on campus, he had full use of the facilities, he had people in power that swept it all under the rug. Newsflash, as an educator you can't sweep child abuse under the rug. You go to jail.

How does this tie in with the football program???

Do you think Purdue would like to trade budgets with PSU? I think they would. To argue differently would just prove yourself an idiot. PSU knew the hit they'd take to their $$$. They knew the hit they'd take to their program. So they covered it up and wished it away to protect the $$$ and prestige of their football program. Shameful.

What's sad to me is that when someone writes or says that the school should be closed or the team ended, there's always someone that pipes up about collateral damage. Where are these students or players or educators supposed to go? That person tries to shift the role of the victim from those raped to those that might have to transfer.

I'd ask that person to choose between being raped as a child or having to transfer universities. If you had to choose for your 9 year old son between being raped or having to transfer universities, which do you pick? This is the point in the conversation where those worried about people having to transfer need to shit down and STFU!!!

PSU should never be allowed to play football again. Ever. The fact that they hired a coach desperately trying to get out from under a rape investigation in his program at Vanderbilt shows me how tone deaf, unapologetic and arrogant PSU admin truly are.

The Penn State situation is the worse .i have seen. There have been many other universities who have swept aside rapes of women.one even by a coach ,so their football programs will not suffer. In many of these case,fans, shrilly defend the university as they do not want the athletic programs to suffer. It seems like the attitude may be" it is only one person" so why we as fans have t suffer? if it was one s own daughter or grandchild,one s attitude may be different? In many cases the whole array of the university s legal firms, and financial interests are brought to bear against the accuser,or accusers. It seems that anything which may upset the tremendous financial underpinnings of the athletic programs are attacked with the full force of a university s legal,political and financial resources. Penn State resisted for ever and even many of it s students wanted to "honor" papa joe" and have his statue returned to campus. It is beyond me but not everyone at Penn State agreed with the findings and limited sanctions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT