ADVERTISEMENT

Field of 64 Projections

altolug

Redshirt
Sep 29, 2013
Read an article on the current projections of 64. Good news is WSU is no longer a bubble team and a #10 seed. Bad news is we are in Indy playing Kentucky. Gonzaga just beat Kentucky. It is a short trip for their fans. But again it is only a projection so far and no longer a bubble team

Read an article on the current projections of 64. Good news is WSU is no longer a bubble team and a #10 seed. Bad news is we are in Indy playing Kentucky. Gonzaga just beat Kentucky. It is a short trip for their fans. But again it is only a projection so far and no longer a bubble team

If we take care of business the rest of the way out, we are currently projected to be 24-7 (15-5) and the #2 seed from the Pac-12. If we can do that, we have a good shot of moving up to a 6 seed. The downside is that moronic Net Rankings have us with one Quad 1 game (@UA), two Quad 2 games (@ASU and UW) and four Quad 3 games (USC, UCLA, Stanford and Cal). Very little opportunity to build our resume.

We can probably get away with gacking away one of the two Quad 2 games and get into the tournament since we were able to knock off Oregon. That said, our room for error is razor thin.

If we take care of business the rest of the way out, we are currently projected to be 24-7 (15-5) and the #2 seed from the Pac-12. If we can do that, we have a good shot of moving up to a 6 seed. The downside is that moronic Net Rankings have us with one Quad 1 game (@UA), two Quad 2 games (@ASU and UW) and four Quad 3 games (USC, UCLA, Stanford and Cal). Very little opportunity to build our resume.

We can probably get away with gacking away one of the two Quad 2 games and get into the tournament since we were able to knock off Oregon. That said, our room for error is razor thin.
I have a feeling things will iron themselves out by seasons end. If we have 24 wins and #2 in the conference the non conf strength of schedule stuff should be minumal
Impact. If we can’t run cal, Stanford, usc, asu out of the gym we probably deserve to be a bubble team. A 5/6 seed smokes those schools. We SHOULD have no more than one loss going forward, albeit we probably get nipped by one of these schools, and who knows we could beat UA too.

The NET ratings are deeply flawed though as many have pointed out.

I have a feeling things will iron themselves out by seasons end. If we have 24 wins and #2 in the conference the non conf strength of schedule stuff should be minumal
Impact. If we can’t run cal, Stanford, usc, asu out of the gym we probably deserve to be a bubble team. A 5/6 seed smokes those schools. We SHOULD have no more than one loss going forward, albeit we probably get nipped by one of these schools, and who knows we could beat UA too.

I see the AP rankings finally came out. 82 votes and #30. Way up from the 6 votes last week. I ignore the coaches' poll, they hate us.

Funny that the 3 MT West teams all dropped out of the rankings, 4 of them are now clustered around WSU. I need to look at the NCAA BB Tournament distribution formula closer. We lament all this disappearing TV money - but the BB money is nothing to sneeze at. Not nearly as much, but still. The MT West seems to be pretty good lately, have to see what they are getting out of this these days. When they have 5 teams getting votes and the PAC has 2, that says something.

Jerry Palm who does the braketology for CBS has us as a #7 seed playing Texas AM in the Ist round. All of these are informed guesses but I do wonder why Palm has us as a 7 when Lunardi has us as just edging into the tourney.
They are looking at the same data but obviously emphasizing different things. It is nice to be even concerned about such things. Back in early January I wouldn't have guessed we would even be in this conversation.

Jerry Palm who does the braketology for CBS has us as a #7 seed playing Texas AM in the Ist round. All of these are informed guesses but I do wonder why Palm has us as a 7 when Lunardi has us as just edging into the tourney.
They are looking at the same data but obviously emphasizing different things. It is nice to be even concerned about such things. Back in early January I wouldn't have guessed we would even be in this conversation.
Lunardi also only had us as a 6 seed in 2007 when we ended up as a 3 seed and had us as a 7 seed in 2008 when we we ended up a 4 seed. Could just be due to the fact that Lunardi doesn't even know who WSU is.

And as often as he has to think about WSU he probably won't learn.

No idea, but maybe Palm weights current performance/trends more heavily than Lunardi? We sure have seemed to play like a 7-seed (if not higher) the last 10 games.

Last edited:
No idea, but maybe Palm weights current performance/trends more heavily than Lunardi? We sure have seemed to play like a 7-seed (if not higher) the last 10 games.
There certainly should be something to that. Teams that are red hot down the stretch should seed higher vs those that limp to the finish.

Well Lunardi has us at a 9 this morning while Palm is still at a 7 so the gap isn't as big this week. Palm has 4 Pac-12 teams in the tourney while Lunardi has only 3 with Utah being the last team in. So Palm is more favorable toward the conference than Lunardi is.

Doubt Kentucky will play WSU unless Kentucky is a 8 seed, and WSU a 9 seed or Kentucky a 6 or 7 seed, and WSU a 10,11 seed, or unless WSU, Kentucky meet up in round 2, sweet 16, etc.

WSU is currently projected about a #7 seed

Conference finish is what matter. If WSU goes 5-3 and finishes 2nd, 3rd in conference, then WSU would still be in NCAA tourny, even if WSU's NET was 100.

The selection committee use RPI, NET, Quad 1 wins, etc, as a guide, but are not so beholden to that, that they would refuse to select WSU to NCAA tournament, if WSU finished in 1st place in PAC 12 conference, despite not winning PAC tourny, despite going 5-3 the rest of way.

23 total wins, 5,6 more wins, only 2,3 more losses, + 1 PAC tourny win + 1,2,3 in PAC gets WSU into NCAA tourny.

WSU does NOT have to go 7-1. And as long as WSU does NOT lose to a Cal type, and only Cal, USC, is a Cal type, and as long as WSU goes 5,6-2,3 + 1 PAC tourny win + 1,2,3 in PAC, = NCAA tourny.

WSU does not have to go 7-1, does not have to win 24,25 games to make NCAA tournament.

That said I think the only team WSU will lose to is Arizona, and maybe stanford

Last projection I saw has us as a 9 seed against Florida in Dallas.

And, it’s got Gonzaga on the bubble - in a play-in game. Suck it, Mark Few.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT