ADVERTISEMENT

Final commentary on Leach's departure...

I wasn't as mad at Leach leaving for Mississippi State as I would have been about him going to Arkansas or Tennessee. Tennessee was too soon and I felt that he would have been leaving right in the middle of things going well. Arkansas is where my company is headquartered and I would have not enjoyed working with the people that stole my coach. I'm not happy about Leach leaving us, but with the 6-7 finish in 2019, it feels like maybe it was time for a fresh start for both WSU and Leach. I will not be a MSU fan, but I won't root against Leach.

The fact that both Leach and Chun have decided to take the high road on this has helped a lot. I've gotten the feeling that although Leach was getting fatigued by the fact that the Pac-12 effectively ties one hand behind his back (on many different levels) but he really had developed an affinity for WSU, Shulz and Chun and appreciated being at a place that really appreciated him. He has been complimentary of WSU and hasn't pulled the Mike Price BS of bragging about having his own toilet.

Chun and Shulz, by hiring Rolovich at $3 million per annum, are serving notice to coaches like Sumlin, Edwards and others that WSU is making football a priority and not looking at ways to cut corners to get by. As nervous as I was about a future without Leach, I feel a hell of a lot better after one week than I thought I would.

I will add that even if I think that Rolovich's starting salary is a little high, we still have $1 million in raises to offer him if things go as well as they were with Leach....and frankly, a little more in a pinch if he earns it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT