ADVERTISEMENT

Final commentary on Leach's departure...

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
In the nearly 40 years that I've been following WSU athletics, this is by far the least painful, most professionally handled break-up between WSU and a front line coach that we've ever had.

Leach gave us 8 great years and completely turned our program back around. National exposure, upgraded facilities, wins, bowl games, ESPN game day; it was an amazing tenure. Even the way he left worked out as good as it possibly could have. He accepted a position 2000 miles away, with a program we probably won't ever cross paths with on the recruiting trail.

Typically, when WSU has lost a legacy coach, the aftermath and uncertainty has been rocky at best. Walden, Raveling, Erickson, Sampson, Price, Bennett; all of those departures left me with deep sadness and a strong feeling that we wouldn't be able to fill the void. It always felt like we were getting tossed aside for a younger woman.

This one doesn't feel like that at all. We moved on from it swiftly, and we actually went out and paid top dollar for an up and coming coach. For once, WSU counter-punched and sent a message that we're not effing around. $3M/year. It might not be blue blood money, but it got the attention of a lot of guys. I bet guys like Justin Wilcox and Mario Cristobal took notice. Herm Edwards is a well known NFL guy, and he's not there. Hell, Clay Helton and Chip Kelly aren't making much more at the LA glamour schools. Yea, I know that Rolo's salary barely puts him in the top-50, but that's OK. He's a first time head coach. He's making more than Les Miles.

Every time WSU has lost a big coach, I've had a sinking feeling of impending doom, but not this time. Even if Rolo doesn't get it done, WSU has sent a message that we're going to spend money on keeping our football program relevant. WSU looks like a legit job now. That's a great feeling.

In the nearly 40 years that I've been following WSU athletics, this is by far the least painful, most professionally handled break-up between WSU and a front line coach that we've ever had.

Leach gave us 8 great years and completely turned our program back around. National exposure, upgraded facilities, wins, bowl games, ESPN game day; it was an amazing tenure. Even the way he left worked out as good as it possibly could have. He accepted a position 2000 miles away, with a program we probably won't ever cross paths with on the recruiting trail.

Typically, when WSU has lost a legacy coach, the aftermath and uncertainty has been rocky at best. Walden, Raveling, Erickson, Sampson, Price, Bennett; all of those departures left me with deep sadness and a strong feeling that we wouldn't be able to fill the void. It always felt like we were getting tossed aside for a younger woman.

This one doesn't feel like that at all. We moved on from it swiftly, and we actually went out and paid top dollar for an up and coming coach. For once, WSU counter-punched and sent a message that we're not effing around. $3M/year. It might not be blue blood money, but it got the attention of a lot of guys. I bet guys like Justin Wilcox and Mario Cristobal took notice. Herm Edwards is a well known NFL guy, and he's not there. Hell, Clay Helton and Chip Kelly aren't making much more at the LA glamour schools. Yea, I know that Rolo's salary barely puts him in the top-50, but that's OK. He's a first time head coach. He's making more than Les Miles.

Every time WSU has lost a big coach, I've had a sinking feeling of impending doom, but not this time. Even if Rolo doesn't get it done, WSU has sent a message that we're going to spend money on keeping our football program relevant. WSU looks like a legit job now. That's a great feeling.
Well stated and I find myself believing that Pres. Schultz and Chun are all in when it comes to athletics.

I’ll add something to this I feel needs to be said. Chun made a comment today and there was something else that got sent over twitter basically saying Leach said what a great hire Rolo was, etc, etc. that’s all good and all but honestly that’s the last I want to hear about what Leach thinks. He’s not our coach, he chose another path. Good luck to him, but beat it. The Leach era is over let’s move on, no more sound bites from him.

I’ll add something to this I feel needs to be said. Chun made a comment today and there was something else that got sent over twitter basically saying Leach said what a great hire Rolo was, etc, etc. that’s all good and all but honestly that’s the last I want to hear about what Leach thinks. He’s not our coach, he chose another path. Good luck to him, but beat it. The Leach era is over let’s move on, no more sound bites from him.

I don't agree with that perspective at all. Leach delivered on everything we hoped for when we hired him. He's a college football icon with one of the greatest coaching trees around. His opinion on who we should and shouldn't have considered is a huge data point, and one that we were wise to consider. Leach visited with Rolo last year in Key West while he was still coaching Hawaii, so he had some personal intel about the guy.

I think Leach's endorsement is telling. He harbored no ill will towards WSU, and he isn't the type of guy to blow smoke. If he said that Rolo would be an outstanding choice, he meant it. Period.

When Leach is done coaching, I certainly hope we see back in Pullman now and then. Hall of Fame, honoring the 2018 team, etc.

WTH it is not like Leach has gone public saying anything about the hire etc. You make it sound like he went on twitter or a radio show and publicly endorsed it. If you want to be mad about the statement be mad at Chun for making it or others for passing it along.

As far as the topic of this thread, personally have never seen a coaching change like this one where I think it is a win/win for both schools. WSU and Leach both needed to hit the refresh button.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikalalas
WTH it is not like Leach has gone public saying anything about the hire etc. You make it sound like he went on twitter or a radio show and publicly endorsed it. If you want to be mad about the statement be mad on Chun for making it or other passing it along.

As far as the topic of this thread, personally have never seen a coaching change like this one where I think it is a win/win for both schools. WSU and Leach both needed to hit the refresh button.
I’m not mad at Leach. I’m not mad at anyone. Just saying I saw the presser and what Chun said about talking to Leach, also saw some thing on Twitter that Leach approved of the hire. Fine, whatever, ready to move on...to me it’s at the edge of being too much. Leach is gone. Move on.

I’m not mad at Leach. I’m not mad at anyone. Just saying I saw the presser and what Chun said about talking to Leach, also saw some thing on Twitter that Leach approved of the hire. Fine, whatever, ready to move on...to me it’s at the edge of being too much. Leach is gone. Move on.

Agree some goofy reporter asked the question today for no good reason.

The last thing you have to worry about is Leach meddling or commenting publicly about anything that WSU does in the future. You have plenty of former retired coaches that seem to want to have that role, I am sure he will be more than glad for them to continue it.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
I recommend listening to a couple podcasts of shows Mike Leach was just on this week: John Cazano’s show and Andrew Doughty’s High Motor podcast. Leach was glowing of Nick Rolovich and the decision to hire him. More importantly (to me), Mike Leach kept with his praise and appreciation for Washington State University and Pullman. It was all genuine.

He says he will definitely be back in Pullman, both to tie up loose ends (soon) and to visit (longer term). He talked about how difficult it was to leave and the reasons why he did. All valid and, again: genuine.

I am feeling very nostalgic about the Mike Leach era. It was amazingly beneficial for both sides and it was just time for both sides to move on. It was an amicable split, which rarely happens, especially in college football.

I will miss Mike Leach and I will root for him. Find the podcasts. He’ll be rooting for us, too.

Yeah, I'm pleased with the manner in which Leach departed. No hard feelings here. Wishing him the best in Starkville.

Reactions: firecoug

Great post - one quibble about being sad about Walden leaving in 1986.

People were RELIEVED - by end of 1984 it was known a better coach with WSU ties (dad coached at WSU) and a modern offense was just 8 miles away.

Walden should've taken the Wyoming gig after 1985 season (his alma mater), the job Erickson got.

It is pretty amusing how the Egg Bowl finish was responsible for 5 coaching changes. Just like Tom Landry retired/fired after the Cowboys were sold and the Arkansas football team in the late 50s rooming players in alphabetical order (Jimmy Johnson roomed with Jerry Jones) resulted in Erickson getting Miami job from Sam Jankovich. (Barry Switzer: "Jimmy roomed with Jerry and got an NFL job. And MY college roommate sells cars")

Reactions: Cougzz
I don't agree with that perspective at all. Leach delivered on everything we hoped for when we hired him. He's a college football icon with one of the greatest coaching trees around. His opinion on who we should and shouldn't have considered is a huge data point, and one that we were wise to consider. Leach visited with Rolo last year in Key West while he was still coaching Hawaii, so he had some personal intel about the guy.

I think Leach's endorsement is telling. He harbored no ill will towards WSU, and he isn't the type of guy to blow smoke. If he said that Rolo would be an outstanding choice, he meant it. Period.
No he didnt.

I expected at least 1 conf championship. I suspect he did too, which is probably part of why he bailed.

Reactions: Coug90
I recommend listening to a couple podcasts of shows Mike Leach was just on this week: John Cazano’s show and Andrew Doughty’s High Motor podcast. Leach was glowing of Nick Rolovich and the decision to hire him. More importantly (to me), Mike Leach kept with his praise and appreciation for Washington State University and Pullman. It was all genuine.

He says he will definitely be back in Pullman, both to tie up loose ends (soon) and to visit (longer term). He talked about how difficult it was to leave and the reasons why he did. All valid and, again: genuine.

I am feeling very nostalgic about the Mike Leach era. It was amazingly beneficial for both sides and it was just time for both sides to move on. It was an amicable split, which rarely happens, especially in college football.

I will miss Mike Leach and I will root for him. Find the podcasts. He’ll be rooting for us, too.

Nothing wrong with a little good PR. Maybe it amounts to nothing long term, but it certainly doesn't hurt having a famous former coach saying good things about our program. Compare that to TTU, that was made to look like a total clown show after Leach's departure.

Reactions: Rosalia
Nothing wrong with a little good PR. Maybe it amounts to nothing long term, but it certainly doesn't hurt having a famous former coach saying good things about our program. Compare that to TTU, that was made to look like a total clown show after Leach's departure.
I’m not saying we’re better off having leach torch the program and school on the way out the door. It just struck me that we are still hanging on Leach quotes when he’s wearing another schools colors. It’s going to personally annoy me if that continues. We all know Pullman and WSU is great, I don’t need Mike Leachs validation. Would rather hear it from Rolo.

When Leach is done coaching, I certainly hope we see back in Pullman now and then. Hall of Fame, honoring the 2018 team, etc.

He will be, he appreciates Pullman. Price eventually came back. Doba came back, even Walden came back. Whatever we feel about old coaches, Chun and Schulz have made it clear they want former Cougs here at WSU and be welcomed.

In someways I'll miss Leach, in someways I won't. He saved the program from becoming nonexistent. We were literally the worst job in Power 5 after the 2011 season, coming off 9 wins in 4 years, 6 against BCS opponents, 8 years removed from a bowl game, 6 years from a .500 season, it was an awful job. Leach took and turned it around. Now my hope is Rolo builds on that.

Leach isn't our coach, whatever he does from now on has no barring on us, but I will always be grateful for what he did for this program and our school.

He will be, he appreciates Pullman. Price eventually came back. Doba came back, even Walden came back. Whatever we feel about old coaches, Chun and Schulz have made it clear they want former Cougs here at WSU and be welcomed.

In someways I'll miss Leach, in someways I won't. He saved the program from becoming nonexistent. We were literally the worst job in Power 5 after the 2011 season, coming off 9 wins in 4 years, 6 against BCS opponents, 8 years removed from a bowl game, 6 years from a .500 season, it was an awful job. Leach took and turned it around. Now my hope is Rolo builds on that.

Leach isn't our coach, whatever he does from now on has no barring on us, but I will always be grateful for what he did for this program and our school.
I agree. Similarly, Rolo loves the U of Hawaii. It didn't stop him from taking the WSU job. Coaches often move on. They want to challenge themselves at a higher level

I agree. Similarly, Rolo loves the U of Hawaii. It didn't stop him from taking the WSU job. Coaches often move on. They want to challenge themselves at a higher level
And a whole lotta this:
giphy.gif

1. HCNR must stay @ W-State after 10/11 W season(s).
2. W streak v the Doggies.
3. (the other) Doggies will shake up the $EC.
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

I’m not saying we’re better off having leach torch the program and school on the way out the door. It just struck me that we are still hanging on Leach quotes when he’s wearing another schools colors. It’s going to personally annoy me if that continues. We all know Pullman and WSU is great, I don’t need Mike Leachs validation. Would rather hear it from Rolo.

Leach is going to get interviewed by all kinds of media folks. Some will ask about WSU and Pullman. He'll continue to say positive things, and as time moves on Leach will direct those conversations back to Mississippi State. Leach has endorsed the hire.

Yeah, I'm pleased with the manner in which Leach departed. No hard feelings here. Wishing him the best in Starkville.

so much better then Price or Erickson....Erickson said on Day one , no he was going anywhere....on day two he was out of town basically.....and for Price to accept a new coaching job right before the Rose bowl was pretty lame...and insisting on coaching it......but what really made me mad was him flying to Alabama and then stating how much he "loved" those guys.....already ....like within minutes of meeting them....so quickly dis guarding every player at WSU.....

How will this affect your game predictions for 2020?

Leach saved the program from becoming nonexistent. We were literally the worst job in Power 5 after the 2011 season, coming off 9 wins in 4 years, 6 against BCS opponents, 8 years removed from a bowl game, 6 years from a .500 season, it was an awful job. Leach took and turned it around
The cupboard was bare!

Agree. Chun handled this VERY VERY well. Engaging Leach in the discussions. Handled this very professionally. Never burning a bridge (by either party).

Remember when Price held the program hostage and demanded to coach in the Rose Bowl. Jim Sterk called us fans "jilted lovers" for opposing that decision. He then removed Price from attending any team functions with fans. The team allegedly was partying the night before and wasn't mentally in the game.

My goodness, we've come a long, long way.

Since this is the last Leach thread I’ll ask here. I’m in Florida and going to the Keys tomorrow. Think there’s any chance of a Leach sighting? Anyone know what his go to bar is?

It's about WSU. The fact that Leach/WSU parted on good terms is excellent PR for the school. The perception that the Athletic dept and Leach worked together on his replacement,even if it's one simple "what do you think about this coach" conversation, can only help WSU in the future. I can't help but think that knowing the AD/Pres will support you if/when you take a new job has to be a mark in your favor when a coach is mulling an offer from you.

It really has nothing to do with Leach or holding onto Leach.

It's about WSU. The fact that Leach/WSU parted on good terms is excellent PR for the school. The perception that the Athletic dept and Leach worked together on his replacement,even if it's one simple "what do you think about this coach" conversation, can only help WSU in the future. I can't help but think that knowing the AD/Pres will support you if/when you take a new job has to be a mark in your favor when a coach is mulling an offer from you.

It really has nothing to do with Leach or holding onto Leach.

That’s what I meant when I started this thread. It was a clean, respectful breakup that will send a message to all future candidates that WSU is a great place to coach. High salary, great facilities, and an AD and President who are bought in.

Since this is the last Leach thread I’ll ask here. I’m in Florida and going to the Keys tomorrow. Think there’s any chance of a Leach sighting? Anyone know what his go to bar is?

Rumor has it he has been roller blading around town in his jorts. Jealous, wish I was in the Keys. Try Captain Tonys or Green Parrot.

Rumor has it he has been roller blading around town in his jorts. Jealous, wish I was in the Keys. Try Captain Tonys or Green Parrot.
Went to Captain Tony’s on Saturday. Guy selling shirts said he had just driven by before we got there with four other guys. I’m guessing they were coaches. That’s as close as we came to a Leach sighting other than the signed Coug helmet on the wall.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Hell, Rolo is a UH alumni and played for them.

Exactly! And if he wins big here, he'll be on the next thing. If our coaches are being pursued by bigger programs, that means we're winning. Its the circle of life. If no one is after our HC, we're not doing well. This is not a destination job for anyone other that Paul Wulff and we all saw how that went.

I really like the Rolo hire and am hopeful we can maintain a 60%-70% bowl eligibility rate. That equals a lifetime contract at WSU.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT